Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

achillesforever6 posted:

Rob nooooooooooooo :negative:

rhythmic slap slap slapping. Ugh I can't believe JoePa still has defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TetsuoTW posted:

Technically "Lebanese person", but in practice it seems more like it just means "fuckin some kind of brown person who fucks camels and poo poo what do i look like a fuckin scientist"
Sydney's got a noticeable Lebanese migrant group, especially in suburbs like Lakemba and Bankstown, and the Cronulla riots (where that photo came from) was a racist backlash to some specific incidents.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Spoeank posted:

Oh I loving wish that were the case. Half my Facebook feed was a giant circle jerk when they announced this (I'm from PA - I went to Pitt, but like 95% of my non-community college bound classmates went to Penn State). It's loving insufferable how stupid people are when you mention JoePa.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Given current events I find myself thinking more and more that our society does not care nearly as much about preventing child molestation as it claims to. It's disgusting and sad. We actually stumbled upon a moral panic worth caring about and we can't even get that right.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

achillesforever6 posted:

Rob nooooooooooooo :negative:

I don't know, this opinion seems right to me? I generally think people's public and private actions should be kept separate. I'm certainly not defending someone who covered up child molestation, but I don't really see why they should retroactively change his football record because of it. It just seems like two completely unrelated things.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Jurgan posted:

I don't know, this opinion seems right to me? I generally think people's public and private actions should be kept separate. I'm certainly not defending someone who covered up child molestation, but I don't really see why they should retroactively change his football record because of it. It just seems like two completely unrelated things.

actually it's poo poo

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Dazzling Addar posted:

Given current events I find myself thinking more and more that our society does not care nearly as much about preventing child molestation as it claims to. It's disgusting and sad. We actually stumbled upon a moral panic worth caring about and we can't even get that right.

The moral panic is worthless because it focuses almost exclusively on lone freaks, instead of powerful men of means, who tend to be the most prolific perpetrators of child molestation, and are the ones who rarely are ever punished for their crimes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jurgan posted:

He used the power granted by his position in the football program to cover up molestation by a member of the staff of the football program. That is, quite obviously, related to the football program.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

New Zealand is what would happen if Canada travelled back in time about 50 years.
Unless they're trying to destroy their native population that's not a very nice thing to say. We were complete and utter poo poo for Natives (now we're just mostly poo poo).

And we barely had our poo poo together for universal medical services by 1966. And it wasn't all that good.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't understand your metaphor at all. How are Muslim extremists the elephant in the room? I assume that was what you were going for, but even so, the first thing I thought was what do the republicans have to do with this. It really muddied the whole message.

I also want to know who is even saying the things you're bitching about in your rant because I have not seen anything even close to calling Charlie Hebdo Nazi propaganda.

Also are you really this upset about people not wanting to publish images of Muhammad. I mean they were aiming to offend with those images, being shocking is kind of their thing. There's plenty of graphics they make up for the daily show that would never get published in a newspaper and no one's ever died over the daily show.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I agree with you, rodbeard, but I just want to express my hope that Death Ray doesn't become the new Deep Hurting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TetsuoTW posted:

Technically "Lebanese person", but in practice it seems more like it just means "fuckin some kind of brown person who fucks camels and poo poo what do i look like a fuckin scientist"

So kinda like how all hispanic people are "Mexicans" to American racists?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rodbeard posted:

I don't understand your metaphor at all. How are Muslim extremists the elephant in the room?

Oh, and here I was trying to figure out why the GOP was advocating for more sensitivity towards Islam.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Lycus posted:

Yes, but in Florida they're Cubans and New York they're Puerto Ricans

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Dazzling Addar posted:

What is so weird about that?

Is it not normal to give football players and those directly associated with them special privileges?

Do most football players even have to take exams or study anything to get a degree these days?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

eNeMeE posted:

Unless they're trying to destroy their native population that's not a very nice thing to say. We were complete and utter poo poo for Natives (now we're just mostly poo poo).
Yeah I guess relatively speaking NZ wasn't so bad to its natives. We just took the most British attitude possible - after the Maori refused to let Her Majesty's Representatives beat them into total submission, we proceeded to use our courts to steal their poo poo and then spent decades afterward pretending they didn't exist except when we needed something quaint to trot out in front of important visitors. Then they started getting uppity again and we had to acknowledge that they're actually people.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

lurker1981 posted:

What is so weird about that?

Is it not normal to give football players and those directly associated with them special privileges?

Do most football players even have to take exams or study anything to get a degree these days?
Ummmm...yes? Maybe they could get away with that poo poo in high school but I'm pretty sure most professors won't give two shits about how well you throw a ball, they'll flunk your rear end if you don't at least attempt to do the work.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Spoeank posted:

Yes, but in Florida they're Cubans and New York they're Puerto Ricans

But if they're Cubans they're also the Good Ones, because they can be considered white most of the time except the times the Republican party wants to say that they have a Hispanic in office. If they're Puerto Ricans they're technically kinda already Americans and I really haven't seen anyone bitch about that yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Ummmm...yes? Maybe they could get away with that poo poo in high school but I'm pretty sure most professors won't give two shits about how well you throw a ball, they'll flunk your rear end if you don't at least attempt to do the work.

It's pretty hard to fail when the University pays other students to tutor you at the Athletic Center.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hahahaha oh you're serious.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Malfeasance when millions in sweet, sweet alumni dollars are on the line? Impossible!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the inside of Nigel Farage's head – An imagined look at the team Ukip’s leader gets help from" After Fritz Khan.

After The Numskulls, more like.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professors are a lot less likely to flunk your rear end when doing so would piss off big chunks of the university administration and / or alumni and fans who are university donors.

Football players get rubber-stamped through classes all the drat time, all across the nation.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fukkin jocks

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Didn't somebody else make a Mitt Driving the Family Truckster cartoon during the heady days of Dog-On-Roof-Gate, or is it a gag that's so obvious it just seems like someone did that already?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

It must be nice to be guaranteed a job so long as newspapers feel obligated to have something conservative to balance out Doonesbury.

At least my local paper has the decency to hide Tinsley in the classified section instead of with the actual opinions and cartoons pages proper where people might accidentally read it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Unironically agreed

What My Friends Think I Do

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Have they escaped the binders? I'm confused.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spoeank posted:

We are Pedo State

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Mostly you gotta know that the current trend in austerity has been justified by an academic paper that relied on a faulty Excel spreadsheet formula - and when the formula is corrected points to austerity actually being negative for economic development. So uhh, yeah - bullshit.

Could I get a link on all this mess? As someone who thinks the dismemberment of thwelfare state that has been happening this side of the 21st century is despicable, I'm ready for some schadenfreude.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jurgan posted:

People were asking earlier, so I checked with my father, and he says Doonesbury still runs in the paper in Charleston. He was sure today's was new, but not so sure of the weekday ones.

Doonesbury is in reruns Monday-Saturday, although they're not reprinting every strip -- it's more a "Best Of" thing. They're currently up to the late 70s and Mike and JJ's first date. Trudeau still does original strips for Sunday.

Markovnikov posted:

Could I get a link on all this mess? As someone who thinks the dismemberment of thwelfare state that has been happening this side of the 21st century is despicable, I'm ready for some schadenfreude.

Here's a starter. Google Reinhart and Rogoff for more.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

As if it matters, everyone's still running with it anyway. If you could argue against austerity with logic its inability to do anything but make almost everyone really poor should have killed it off ages ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

To be fair 65% of Hispanics are Mexicans and the ones that aren't are usually concentrated in small areas (e.g., Puerto Ricans in New York City and Chicago).

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

Unironically agreed

Ah yes, the 70th anniversary, 70 being a well known milestone that people care about as opposed to 75 or 50.

Also wow this is way lazier than usual, normally he at least has drawings even if they're terrible, this time he did half of one panel and then just added text.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I know that "ignore comments" is the common refrain, but holy poo poo:

Common Sense Post posted:

So let me get this straight, they made a numerical error, so what they say is wrong? Yea, that sounds right.

Here, try this: When you add two numbers you get a larger number - proof 2 + 2 = 5!

That is so wrong! Clearly they can't add two numbers with a calculator. I guess when you add two numbers you don't get a larger number as proven by the mistake in their math!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Ah yes, the 70th anniversary, 70 being a well known milestone that people care about as opposed to 75 or 50.

Also wow this is way lazier than usual, normally he at least has drawings even if they're terrible, this time he did half of one panel and then just added text.

Actually the President will not be able to attend the funeral itself because non-Muslims are barred. Does the word "apartheid" ring a bell?
Labels: funeral, Obama, Saudi Arabia, Shuldig

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Actually the President will not be able to attend the funeral itself because non-Muslims are barred. Does the word "apartheid" ring a bell?
Labels: funeral, Obama, Saudi Arabia, Shuldig

How would this stop him? :republismug:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

As if it matters, everyone's still running with it anyway. If you could argue against austerity with logic its inability to do anything but make almost everyone really poor should have killed it off ages ago.

To be fair to austerity, there are very, very occasionally times when it is a good idea. If you have one country that is in a huge fiscal crisis (like, an actual fiscal crisis and not some bullshit "oh no our deficit is 0.5% of GDP, quick cut everything in the budget by 50%" crisis) and unable to get out of it, but the rest of the world is booming and has strong economic growth, in some circumstances an austerity program for that country can be a good idea (not necessarily is a good idea, but can be if you consider solving the fiscal crisis to be the #1 priority for whatever reason).

Trying to have every developed country in the world run an austerity program at the same time during a recession is loving moronic.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
I guess the problem is more about the precendent that it will set regarding debt inside the EU, as well as giving a big gently caress you to Germany, which is a big no-no.

The ECB wanted to increase spending if I'm not mistaken anyway, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chewbaccanator posted:

I guess the problem is more about the precendent that it will set regarding debt inside the EU, as well as giving a big gently caress you to Germany, which is a big no-no.

The ECB wanted to increase spending if I'm not mistaken anyway, right?

The ECB is beginning a round of quantitative easing to the tune of 60 billion euros a month until further notice in order to pump money into the European economy and avoid a deflationary spiral. There are worse ways to deal with low growth (austerity being one of them) but there are also better ways to deal with it, like using that massive amount of money on meaningful investments in government programs and projects rather than just handing it all to banks and hoping they do the rest for you.

• Locked thread