Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, so, Viz's WSJ is allegedly supposed to come out at the same time as it does in Japan, right?

So why the gently caress does Casanova have the jump on Viz?!

Scanlators that keep up with Raws are generally a half week ahead of the official releases.

The releases we usually get on Wed-Thursday of the popular series(Bleach, OP, Toriko) are early leaks. Generally stuff like AssClass/Souma etc etc get leaked on that friday/saturday. The official release is on Monday.

Souma's scanlators essentially used the New Years break to catch up with the latest chapters and now they are using the leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Specialty is love. Or something.

To be completely fair, the idea of "fill your cooking with feelings for someone special" is something that's been hinted at since the first chapter, so it's not out of nowhere.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah but they never said that the main criteria was making a signature dish, which is why everyone thinks this turn of events is entirely stupid.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
That chapter was really unsatisfying to read.

Souma cooked the most creative dish, and then Hayama wins because of REASONS. Basically, the judges are full of poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't try and be creative to the point that you stray outside your specialty -the main lesson of the top cooking school in Japan

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Terrible chapter. The result wasn't the problem.

Unlike other arcs, this one didn't follow and flow from previous chapters.

Gee, I want to make this guy win, so I need a flashback because nothing I've done up to now makes you have any sympathy for the character. Uh, no.

Probably gonna put this one down for a while. It's felt like its been dragging for a while, and this arc just kinda seals it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Can't you say Souma's specialty is that he makes unorthodox recipes that still manage to work?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kuroyama posted:

Can't you say Souma's specialty is that he makes unorthodox recipes that still manage to work?

Pretty sure his specialty would be making food.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I wonder if this chapter would have felt better if the judges had said "Yup, Hayama's tastes the best. Better luck next time guys!" instead of that nonsense about signatures or whatever.

It's like the author heard all the criticism about Soma winning everything and just threw his toys out of the pram.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"poo poo, they're all equally good, how do we choose? If we do another tie people will kill us!"
"Just choose one at random and then spout some vague bullshit, it always works."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What the hell. Early in this manga they said that Souma is good because he doesn't try to stick to certain style of cooking he just worries about making good food.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah it's callback to Souma's dad telling him that the key to really becoming a master is to find someone you want to cook everything for.

So basically he needs to hook up with someone to increase his cooking ki.

What a really lame explanation for the decision though; just say the other dude was a bit better if you wanna prevent Souma from getting into the elite 10/11/whatever they are this early.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The weird thing is that Kurokiba also had a rough life that he escaped from because of a girl whom he now has feelings for. But he didn't win because????

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, having the flashback now seems a misstep, since it not only makes it too obvious who'll win, but how it segues into the whole 'signature dish' thing is... eh.

Its weird too since we knew the other two and their history through flashbacka already, so it feels like something the writer just kinda forgot till it was too late.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ethiser posted:

What the hell. Early in this manga they said that Souma is good because he doesn't try to stick to certain style of cooking he just worries about making good food.

Yeah like this is part of why it was bullshit. The flashback in the middle of the chapter was also bullshit, but early in the manga they made it out like Souma being a generalist capable of adapting any style and dish to make it taste good was a big talent of his. Him being capable of creatively matching a dude who went all in on his bullshit unrealistic spice-style, getting a perfectly even result in terms of which had a better flavor? That makes him seem like a better cook to me. Same with Kurokiba. Dude is insane and bloodthirsty, but he has great instincts and is apparently great at tons of kinds of cooking. Meanwhile Hayama is a one trick pony.

If Kurokiba or Souma won you'd get the lesson of 'playing just to your strengths and ignoring your weaknesses doesn't work'. Meanwhile Hayama won apparently for the same reason Megumi did so well, except it was never referenced beforehand.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 26, 2015

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yeah, count me in for it feeling unsatisfying as well. Reminds me of why people hate shows like AGT and such: it always seems like a bunch of crappy acts get through just because they have a good sob story or pretty looks, instead of actual merit.

I'm positive that they'll do some further explanation that will make it sound like they made the right choice, and probably throw in some line about making the others lose to make them stronger and what-not, but I'm still initially annoyed. Guess we'll see what happens.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 26, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What is AGT?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is AGT?

America's Got Talent.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Normally I love it when a show is brave enough to make the main character lose. But for some reason this loss feels stupid. Like in the first chapter when he initially failed that test.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I only see one interesting possibility from this.

Cooking food out of love is basically Megumi's speciality. Megumi teaching arc begins.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Well don't I feel super-special for not being bothered that he lost? Am I even the right audience for this manga? :shrug:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Daler Mehndi posted:

Well don't I feel super-special for not being bothered that he lost? Am I even the right audience for this manga? :shrug:

I don't think anyone minds that he lost, we just dislike the reason for 'why'. They could easily have just said 'all the dishes were amazing, truly worthy of the finals, but Hayama's was the best' and no one would care, and some people in the thread would be happy, since they kept talking about how boring it was that he always won. The mid-chapter flashback spoiling who was going to win, revealing a ~tragic past~ for the winner is what was annoying.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I see it as Souma finally running into his match(Es) as far as cooking ability goes. I'd imagine the deciding factor being that a Chef with distinct characteristics "see their face when you taste the food" is a bigger draw for a restaurant than one who is simply hyper competent.

I mean you sure could run a family special of the day shop, an amazing one, with a chef like Soma. But just as likely you'd find less success selling $200 tasting menus that you have to book months in advance with Soma being the chef/face. "Really good at everything" has less draw than "The pinnacle of aromatic experience" or "Complete mastery over seafood." Sprinkle shonen manga writing over this and you get what we read.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Soma is basically "jack of trades, master of none" and this is why he lost.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
To speculate, it looks like Souma's goal in life has been less about becoming a world class chef and more about beating his father, so while everything he cooks is top tier there's nothing about him that makes him stand out against other top tier cooks. He's great at thinking outside the box and finding ways around his weaknesses but he doesn't have a signature like the other two (I guess).

It's pretty dumb, but now that I think about it most world class chefs have a signature dish or type of style they're known for and are the world's best at. Gordon Ramsay with his beef wellington, Graham Elliot and Heston Blumenthal with molecular gastronomy, etc. Plus every single season of Masterchef has drilled into the contestants "we want to see you on a plate" and how important it is to "speak" through your food.

I would like to think this means the manga is going to step away from the constant cooking tournaments for a while and have Souma branch out and learn what he needs to surpass his father, probably from Dojima. After all, even though his father is the "demon" he was still only 2nd chair to Dojima's 1st plus he dropped out. Souma's father would rather run a neighborhood shop and be a highly regarded wandering chef then cultivate a world class business. I bet it will be something about Souma's mother as to the reason, just for the extra drama kick, like she originally ran the meager shop, Joichiro fell in love and joined her, she died a few years later.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Soma is basically "jack of trades, master of none" and this is why he lost.

Except the judges still say the dishes tasted the same, and Souma clearly beat them in terms of creativity (an essential skill for Michilin level cooking) and Spice dude just smashed his spice covered face repeatedly into the dish.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's just reinforcing a theme that was introduced right in Ch 1: "To become an amazing cook you need to find somebody to cook for". Those that said the flashback was a saving throw forget that every single time Hayama showed up previous to the match he was thinking of Jun.
Keeping that in context, Hayama's victory was foreshadowed since the beginning. At every point he was the only one going along the story's theme.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

pentyne posted:

It's pretty dumb, but now that I think about it most world class chefs have a signature dish or type of style they're known for and are the world's best at. Gordon Ramsay with his beef wellington, Graham Elliot and Heston Blumenthal with molecular gastronomy, etc. Plus every single season of Masterchef has drilled into the contestants "we want to see you on a plate" and how important it is to "speak" through your food.

I definitely think you're spot-on with what the judges were talking about, and I can see this aspect of 'signatures' being important, but I'm still a bit annoyed at their decision. For example, you mention Gordon Ramsey and his beef wellington. When I think about Gordon Ramsey, I don't think about his fancy signature dishes, I think about how he was able to make a delicious meal for Ricky Gervais, the pickiest eater in the entire world. (can see it mentioned here if you're curious) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iInCHq3yvs

Ricky's pickiness with his food is legendary, and the fact that Gordon Ramsey was able to make a dish that not only worked for Ricky, but was absolutely delicious, really showcases what a pro Gordon is. It's that type of creativity and adaptive technique, where you can build a dish for different people with different tastes, that shines to me, not the fact that he's got a great beef wellington or, indeed, a fancy 'aroma'. In this case, I think Soma is identical to Gordon, which is why I was annoyed.

Then again, we did see Soma lose to his father earlier, when he failed to cook the perfect dish for his friends based on their mood, so he still has room to grow, of course.

Ethiser posted:

Exactly: above all else, make delicious food. We're getting some mixed messages here.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 26, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FutureCop posted:

I definitely think you're spot-on with what the judges were talking about, and I can see this aspect of 'signatures' being important, but I'm still a bit annoyed at their decision. For example, you mention Gordon Ramsey and his beef wellington. When I think about Gordon Ramsey, I don't think about his fancy signature dishes, I think about how he was able to make a delicious meal for Ricky Gervais, the pickiest eater in the entire world. (can see it mentioned here if you're curious) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iInCHq3yvs

Ricky's pickiness with his food is legendary, and the fact that Gordon Ramsey was able to make a dish that not only worked for Ricky, but was absolutely delicious, really showcases what a pro Gordon is. It's that type of creativity and adaptive technique, where you can build a dish for different people with different tastes, that shines to me, not the fact that he's got a great beef wellington or, indeed, a fancy 'aroma'. In this case, I think Soma is identical to Gordon, which is why I was annoyed.

Then again, we did see Soma lose to his father earlier, when he failed to cook the perfect dish for his friends based on their mood, so he still has room to grow, of course.

Exactly: above all else, make delicious food. We're getting some mixed messages here.

But when all of the food is equally delicious, something that has that extra, signature special flair wins.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah, that's why it never pays off to be creative when you can just make the same style of poo poo and win every time because you are only known for making it. What retarded writing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I kind of expected this when Souma made a two-part dish. Was there any reason he couldn't serve both at the same time? If the latter half of his presentation had been all about how he HAD to serve them in that order, this result would have come as a shock. As it is, this chapter makes it look like he just plain hosed up with that decision. I'm curious if that will play a role in the inevitable 'post-game analysis.' (I'll also guarantee at some point in the next chapter someone will comment to Hayama "if you faced him again next week, with the knowledge he acquired in this match, do you still think you'd win?")

Ryou's loss is easier to explain thematically, because they outright told you: he tried to compete with Hayama's mastery of spices and lost because trying to overwhelm diners is his style and there was more to spices than that. I'm fine with the ultimate outcome, and it seems like most of posts in this thread are too, but I have to agree the justification they gave was some pretty weak sauce.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
sudden flashbacks to the antagonist's tragic past is by far my least favorite shounen trope. it's worse than training arcs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Having Souma lose now seems to be more of "he's missing something key to his rise and his obsession with beating his father is holding him back" just done with a stupid dramatic twist.

I feel bad for the gloomy kid. Now Alice is going to lord it over him that he technically lost to Souma as well.

Souma seems like if he was given a kitchen, a selection of top quality ingredients, and told to cook for a fancy high end dinner party he'd absolutely knock it out of the park with inventive and creative dishes, probably the type of thing his father does, but not develop a unique style of cooking that he becomes world famous for.

Maybe he'll finally spend more time around Megumi to learn her method of cooking.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What I don't get is how is being creative with common ingredients not a unique style of cooking?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

pentyne posted:

I feel bad for the gloomy kid. Now Alice is going to lord it over him that he technically lost to Souma as well.

He was going to have to deal with Alice lording it over him once they get married like they're totally gonna.

KoB
May 1, 2009

pentyne posted:

Whatever, he loves it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For 100+ chapters in there's been a shocking absence of anything romance related aside from Nikumi getting flustered and a few brief scenes with Megumi. This tournament arc has really carried on for far too long with shockingly little payoff, serving more as a vehicle for a poo poo ton of extra characters to get their day in the sun.

40+ chapters of this entire series is this 1st year tournament, and it adds at least 10-15 new characters.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 27, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BlitzBlast posted:

What I don't get is how is being creative with common ingredients not a unique style of cooking?

In a shocking twist it turns out that the rookie mangaka who writes this is actually bad at writing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eej posted:

In a shocking twist it turns out that the rookie mangaka who writes this is actually bad at writing.

However the experienced artist he's working with still manages to make everything amazing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsieurChoc posted:

"poo poo, they're all equally good, how do we choose? If we do another tie people will kill us!"
"Just choose one at random and then spout some vague bullshit, it always works."

It's the only way this result really makes sense to me, yeah.

I feel like this whole arc, and the part covering the finals in particular, has been mostly fine chapter to chapter but has some pretty bad structural flaws overall.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, it was either this or what food that was so good it killed you a la Yakitate! Japan... Maybe the latter is still better though.