Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is BJW still around? Their 15th anniversary tribute video popped up on my recommended videos to watch and I'm pretty sure that this year is their 20th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

mariooncrack posted:

Is BJW still around? Their 15th anniversary tribute video popped up on my recommended videos to watch and I'm pretty sure that this year is their 20th anniversary.

Yeah. From what I last heard they kinda struggling due to lot of their former starts getting old and not able to go like they use to. I still think they're fun to watch.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

They're really trying to build new stars and shift their focus to their Strong BJ blocks. All of the deathmatch wrestlers that have become stars have been from outside BJW.

They're running Ryogoku this year for their 20th anniversary.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to follow Dragon Gate these days?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Rodney the Piper posted:

What's the best way to follow Dragon Gate these days?

I've got it covered in the Dragon Gate Thread, but they have about 2 shows a month available on iPPV on NicoNico, an entirely unnecessary monthly streaming show, and most of their stuff shows up on dailymotion.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I've got it covered in the Dragon Gate Thread, but they have about 2 shows a month available on iPPV on NicoNico, an entirely unnecessary monthly streaming show, and most of their stuff shows up on dailymotion.

and http://iheartdg.com will help keep you up to date on storylines and faction movement

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Shiori Asahi is my favorite J-Indy wrestler and I'm happy that his DDT gimmick is over with the crowd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If anybody is in Tokyo next week, the Japan university club pro wrestling yearly show at Korakuen is there on 2/26. I'd go but I'm out of town.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
More info about the show harperdc mentioned and the subculture behind it: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2015/02/19/lifestyle/student-wrestlers-learn-ropes-ahead-university-battle-royale/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That's the same thing Tanahashi did in college and Riki Choshu held it against him, right?

Oh, and from that article:

quote:

Inamura wrestles as Chinko Tomitsuki, a gag too bawdy to explain in a publication as respected as The Japan Times. As for his opponent Nagata, aka Onaho Hazushita, the less said about his name the better. Things could get messy. A more pressing issue — doesn’t the crude humor alienate the opposite sex? Inamura seemed amused at the concern.

Uh, could one of you guys who understand Japanese explain the dirty puns since the article refused to? Is Onaho simply the English language pun on-a-ho?

Edit: Ok, from a google search Onaho apparently is the Japanese term for fleshlight type things.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

quote:

Information is circling in Japan that FMW is coming back under the name or "Cho Sento (Super Battle) Pro-Wrestling FMW". Details about the promotion are scarce at this time with no mention of who may be affiliated and or competing on the shows.
All that has been announced are three shows in April that will be held as "pre-events" before they hold their first true event later that month. The events have been dubbed "FMW Revival Series vol.1" with the first show on 4/21 at the Hirosaki City Kasai Taiiku Center in Aomori, 4/22 at the Miyagino District Cultural Center, 4/23 at the Aizu-Wakamatsu Renaissance in Fukushima. Then their first true show is scheduled to take place on 4/27 at the Shinjuku FACE in Tokyo.
Atsushi Onita was a key figure of FMW in the past but as of yet his name has not been mentioned for this new project. Onita of course is currently focused on his own branded promotion under Cho Hanabi (Super Fireworks). If this will be a whole new venture or a rebirth of the old promotion is unclear, but I'll be sure to keep you all updated if and when any new information is released. [BushidoRX]

Which is more sad, another FMW revival that's never going to take off, or one that won't even feature Onita? FMW is the ECW of Japan

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are there any FMW stars still around? I'm assuming Onita still does the occasional show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

Are there any FMW stars still around? I'm assuming Onita still does the occasional show.

for three handles of Jack Daniels and a carton of Marlboro reds, Onita will gladly immolate himself and your child's next birthday party.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Masato Tanaka's still around. Other than that age has caught up with a lot of their guys. And of course there's Mike Awesome and Hayabusa, neither of whom'll ever work again.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Fuji, Hosaka, Kanemura, and Hido are all still active, somehow, and probably all an ugly-rear end sight these days

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The young ref in the FMW deathmatches is Dragon Kid and some of the late undercard guys/FMW dojo guys joined Toryumon/DG.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Tanaka's not only active but drat good. He did some great stuff in NJPW in 2012 and 13 and his current tag team with Sugeira is prob the the best heavyweight tag team in Japan.

coconono posted:

for three handles of Jack Daniels and a carton of Marlboro reds, Onita will gladly immolate himself and your child's next birthday party.

Did minicoco enjoy the party?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Anyone know what Chocoball Mukai's been up to? I'm afraid to search for that at work.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is K-Ness injured again? I haven't seen him in about a month.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Is K-Ness injured again? I haven't seen him in about a month.

He was at Korakuen today. I figured he'd go back to the backlines as soon as Doi returned.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thauros posted:

That's the same thing Tanahashi did in college and Riki Choshu held it against him, right?

Oh, and from that article:

Uh, could one of you guys who understand Japanese explain the dirty puns since the article refused to? Is Onaho simply the English language pun on-a-ho?

Edit: Ok, from a google search Onaho apparently is the Japanese term for fleshlight type things.

Chinko is weiner :D

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

Oya does the Hokkaido circuit, Mammoth Sasaki wrestles for FREEDOMS, Kanemura and Kuroda still run Apache Army to less than 150 people and Gannosuke did a return to the ring.

EDIT: Ricky Fuji does matches for K-DOJO besides his dayjob as a gym owner.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 7, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jake Soo posted:

Oya does the Hokkaido circuit, Mammoth Sasaki wrestles for FREEDOMS, Kanemura and Kuroda still run Apache Army to less than 150 people and Gannosuke did a return to the ring.

EDIT: Ricky Fuji does matches for K-DOJO besides his dayjob as a gym owner.

oh my god super leather is still active somehow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody know what this kanji says? http://www.redbubble.com/people/rafzombie/works/13492101-kaze-ni-nare?grid_pos=107&p=t-shirt

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wow, that Cafepress store is still up? I bought that shirt from that exact store in 2001!

The Japanese writing says "Survive! Survival Tobita" Pronounced in Japanese the top "Survive" line is "Ikinokore!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Wow, that Cafepress store is still up? I bought that shirt from that exact store in 2001!

The Japanese writing says "Survive! Survival Tobita" Pronounced in Japanese the top "Survive" line is "Ikinokore!"

I posted the wrong link...I edited, it, would you mind translating?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Haha, nice.

I'm just using translate.google.com's "draw in Kanji" feature, it says 風に鼻孔 reads "kaze ni biko" which translates to "the nostrils in the wind" but somehow I don't think that's right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Haha, nice.

I'm just using translate.google.com's "draw in Kanji" feature, it says 風に鼻孔 reads "kaze ni biko" which translates to "the nostrils in the wind" but somehow I don't think that's right.

Probably Kaze ni nare. It's his whole thing. I'm gonna buy that shirt, especially with getting MiSu shirts being basically impossible now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Probably Kaze ni nare. It's his whole thing. I'm gonna buy that shirt, especially with getting MiSu shirts being basically impossible now.

yes but they spelled nare wrong. Boco_T's right, it means nostrils, whereas it's actually supposed to be written 風になれ just in kana (there's a kanji for なります but it's rarely used).

don't believe just look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0P-SgpwYnE

tl;dr don't buy that shirt, it has incorrect Japanese on it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

yes but they spelled nare wrong. Boco_T's right, it means nostrils, whereas it's actually supposed to be written 風になれ just in kana (there's a kanji for なります but it's rarely used).

don't believe just look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0P-SgpwYnE

I'm tempted to buy it anyways because that makes me laugh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm tempted to buy it anyways because that makes me laugh.

http://www.piledriver.jp/fs/gotchstyle/c/wear

if you're serious then ask by pm or such and we can talk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

harperdc posted:

http://www.piledriver.jp/fs/gotchstyle/c/wear

if you're serious then ask by pm or such and we can talk.

I don't have PM and the only one they have I like is the Suzuki-gun shirt.

Edit: If you're comfortable putting your e-mail in spoilers, I can e-mail you

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 23, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Watching All Japan put on some very good shows this year in front of absolutely putrid crowds makes me rather sad.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
From Puroresu Spirit:

The WRESTLE-1 Cruiserweight Championship starts tomorrow. Eight wrestlers will square off in a single elimination tournament to decide the first ever champion.

This upcoming tournament is being promoted as a milestone for the promotion as the junior heavyweights look to build towards the future of W-1. Kaz Hayashi, who has been the top supporter for the belt, stated that he would win the tournament. Minoru Tanaka, who is also taking part, is currently a double junior champion now holding ZERO-1’s International Junior Heavyweight and NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championships.

The participants are Hayashi, Tanaka, Andy Wu, El Hijo del Pantera, Seiki Yoshioka, Hiroshi Yamato, Rionne Fujiwara and Yusuke Kodama.

Here is the card:

WRESTLE-1 “WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2015 Cherry blossom”, 4/1/2015 [Wed] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
(1) Kumagoro vs. Shotaro Ashino
(2) Hiroshi Yamato, Yusuke Kodama & Rionne Fujiwara vs. NOSAWA Rongai, MAZADA & Hiroki Murase
(3) WRESTLE-1 vs DESPERADO: Masakatsu Funaki & Jiro “Ikemen” Kuroshio vs. TAJIRI & Koji Doi
(4) WRESTLE-1 Cruiserweight First Champion Tournament ~ 1st Round: Andy Wu vs. El Hijo del Pantera
(5) WRESTLE-1 Cruiserweight First Champion Tournament ~ 1st Round: Minoru Tanaka vs. Seiki Yoshioka
(6) WRESTLE-1 vs DESPERADO: Keiji Mutoh, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. Masayuki Kono, Ryoji Sai & KAZMA SAKAMOTO
(7) WRESTLE-1 Tag Championship Match: [1st Champions] “Team 246” Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo vs. [Challenger] “new WILD order” AKIRA & Manabu Soya
~ 6th title defense.
(8) WRESTLE-1 Championship Match: [3rd Champion] KAI vs. [Challenger] Hideki Suzuki
~ 1st title defense.

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Crazy old wrestler/promoter/politician news from the observer:

quote:

Antonio Inoki made worldwide news, which even made Newsweek. Inoki, while serving in the senate, asked if the country was doing any studies into whether Japanese air space was being invaded by extraterrestrial life forms. I guess he must have watched some of those Ryuma Go vs. Space Aliens matches from the 90s. Well, hopefully they don’t vote him in for another term. Defense Minister Nakatani then explained that space aliens have never entered Japanese air space. He noted that they quickly investigate anything entering Japanese air space. They have found flying objects that aren’t aircrafts and birds, but they have never found a UFO that has come from species that resides anywhere but Earth. That’s good to know.

quote:

To the surprise of nobody, the new version of FMW held a press conference and announced that Atsushi Onita, the biggest star of the original FMW, who was synonymous with FMW, will be joining the new FMW that starts up this week. FMW in many ways was comparable to ECW, although it started several years earlier, many of its concepts were lifted directly by ECW. It was far more popular even without television than ECW ever was, largely because of Onita and his drawing power. Several of Onita’s matches did in excess of 30,000 fans and his match with Genichiro Tenryu topped 50,000.

Onita issued a challenge on 4/1 to Chigusa Nagayo, 50, the teen idol pro wrestling superstar of the 80s and easily the most popular woman wrestler of all-time. Onita wanted an electric dynamite match while Nagayo held public festivities at her new gym in Chiba. Nagayo said she was shocked at the challenge and would give her answer in the future.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only way FMW is going to succeed is if they try to pull in big draws of today and build a promotion around it. Tajiri's promotions would have done better if they didn't have really lovely people running the back-end, but how could you go wrong with the Yakuza?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

The only way FMW is going to succeed is if they try to pull in big draws of today and build a promotion around it. Tajiri's promotions would have done better if they didn't have really lovely people running the back-end, but how could you go wrong with the Yakuza?

Tajiri's promotions weren't exactly knocking them dead at the box office.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Tajiri's promotions weren't exactly knocking them dead at the box office.

How dare you impugn the drawing power of Mikey Whipwreck and Dave Finlay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If anything they needed more involvement from the Yakuza