Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour?

This is probably going to be just me posting my favorite jRPGs that I've already posted in the thread a million times, heh. Digital Devil Saga duology and SMT: Nocturne, for starters. Fairly hard games but unique settings/aesthetics and great music. I'd also say The World Ends With You because it's fantastic, but considering its control scheme, it may be annoying to play on emulator using a mouse.

Also try Baten Kaitos, if you can emulate Gamecube. Gorgeous game, interesting story, very quirky mechanics.
e: just reread and I see you mentioned Shadow Hearts :downs:

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All Else Failed posted:

I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

:stare:

After skimming through that I think what you really need is not a jrpg but therapy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But yeah if you want a jrpg you could do far far worse than giving Chrono Trigger another spin, it's probably one of the most bullshit free and constantly enjoyable jrpgs ever made

But seriously a videogame isn't going to fix the cause of that incredibly depressing post seek therapy

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That made me think a bit, but I find myself appreciating the best of the worst far more than the worst of the best. Does that make any sense?
Like, I'd rather come in with zero or negative expectations and find something barely mediocre than coming in with high expectations and find something that's just OK.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can't grind in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It does expect you to fail on your first run, though.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

You can't grind in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It does expect you to fail on your first run, though.

Man, that game... I could never really grasp it, all it did was push me back to replaying the old ones

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is the PSP version of Tales of Eternia worth getting?

Yes.

mycot posted:

What's so bad about the PS2 version of Grandia II? Does it have horrible load times between every screen or something like that?

Behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz2mGqYqXxw&t=275s

I wish I had something to compare it to beyond this blurry rear end video but you can see the difference in frame rate. What is essentially a 2 minute cutscene in the Dreamcast version is a 3 minute cutscene in the PS2 version!

The PS2 version is fine in the beginning and okay in most dungeons (where you'll spend about 60% of the game anyway) but practically every village from 1/3 on in is painfully slow. The largest city in the game acts as a sort of center point for the final few story missions and its absolutely maddening navigating it. I can't believe this passed any kind of play test, it's not like the PS2 was incapable of running Dreamcast ports, Dead or Alive 2 was a launch game and ran at 60fps. This port is flat out lazy.

e: If you haven't played Grandia 2 and your only option is the PS2 then try to survive this scene and you should be good for the entire game.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Grandia II is dark, and it's awesome. 15 year old me totally dug the dark turn the game takes about halfway through, and the game just keeps building upon that until the end. If there is one thing that playing Lunar: SSS really showed me it was just how little patience I have for lighthearted stories. Personally, if I'm spending 30+ hours on a game I want it to have some kick. I forget the line exactly, but Ryudo in Grandia II makes fun of the child champion constantly by calling him "Bubblegum and lollipops", basically a "gently caress you" moment to his notion of childhood adventure.

We are polar opposites, Dragon Quest 5 is the extent of my "dark subject matter" in anime games. It's strange, I get really upset in any JRPG where the thinly veiled Christian religion is actually the badguy all along but totally didn't mind when they did the same thing in Final Fantasy Tactics.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 26, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the same exact game, no bonus features, but it's a good port so sure.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

It's the same exact game, no bonus features, but it's a good port so sure.

Widescreen. But otherwise yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, because then you have to play roulette with whether or not you get a glitched copy.

The first print run of the Euro version of the game was literally unbeatable due to a bug.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is probably going to be just me posting my favorite jRPGs that I've already posted in the thread a million times, heh. Digital Devil Saga duology and SMT: Nocturne, for starters. Fairly hard games but unique settings/aesthetics and great music. I'd also say The World Ends With You because it's fantastic, but considering its control scheme, it may be annoying to play on emulator using a mouse.

Also try Baten Kaitos, if you can emulate Gamecube. Gorgeous game, interesting story, very quirky mechanics.

DDS and Nocturne are the worst recommendations for someone looking for something non-grindy.

And clearly in need of therapy.

Phantasium posted:

No, because then you have to play roulette with whether or not you get a glitched copy.

The first print run of the Euro version of the game was literally unbeatable due to a bug.

Already found a reliable e-Bay seller advertising the fixed version.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Already found a reliable e-Bay seller advertising the fixed version.

That's what I thought until I bought one from eBay and got hosed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

That's what I thought until I bought one from eBay and got hosed.

It's a seller with multiple copies available and a full store of games for multiple consoles, not a random guy :shrug:.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a seller with multiple copies available and a full store of games for multiple consoles, not a random guy :shrug:.

Just a friendly warning, is all. I wasn't trying to rag on you for it, just lamenting that I had to deal with that crap in the first place because it was a great port until I got to Volt (60 fps!).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If the included firmware update on the UMD is 2.5 it's the "fixed" version. If you're unsure then there's a save file on GameFAQs that has a save before the bugged puzzle and a save after the bugged puzzle if you have no way of continuing.

If you have hacked firmware (and if you own a PSP you really should) it's probably best to get a ripped iso of the fixed version. I don't think anyone would hate you for downloading an iso if you own the broken copy.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Gamma Nerd posted:

TWEWY is fantastic and if the OP has Android it should work well. I'd also say with iOS but Square didn't bother to fix compatibility with iOS 8 for crapload of their games including this one so I recommend avoiding Square games on the platform (I basically stopped buying). Of course they also have ton of issues with Android 5.x but it seems better then with iOS 8. How about Persona 4? It's pretty interesting and can be emulated. I'd also recommend going forward with DQVIII, it's a great game and OP should be able to get past the control scheme, it's worth it.

What about PC games? Shadowrun Dragonfall is fantastic. There is always Skyrim/Fallout/Deus Ex to try out. Dragon Age Origins is pretty cool (not a fan of DA:I after i played it for a while). Mass Effect 1 is neat. Divinity OS is really good game (more combat then story but it's a great thing). Valkyrie Chronicles and Trails in the Sky are great. Then there are some cool dungeon crawlers like MMX and Grim Dawn. You pretty much don't have to grind in any of these (well, maybe MMX/Grim Dawn).

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DDS and Nocturne are the worst recommendations for someone looking for something non-grindy.

And clearly in need of therapy.

Eh... you kind of don't have to grind in Nocturne if you know what you are doing and use all the tricks. However, I agree that it's probably not the best recommendation for the OP. Oh, forgot Nier, great story, awesome sound track, not much grinding, unfortunately clunky controls though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Phantasium posted:

I'm really curious about this because I could never find any actual proof that two different versions of the English PSP Eternia exist. The only dumped revision is this one (note: this site has just release information, no actual :filez:), which is identical with my copy where I did not run into any crash at Volt. So either the broken revision never got dumped -- which is possible, I suppose, but would really surprise me -- or the crash is caused by something else.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I've actually never heard of the crash/freeze/whatever it is making it unbeatable and recently got a copy of it on the cheap, where does it trigger?

edit: I've played the game long ago on the PSX so spoilers are not an issue, though you can put them in spoiler tags if desired - I can just read them.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The second dungeon in bravely default beat the poo poo out of me

Is grinding a thing in this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism posted:

I've actually never heard of the crash/freeze/whatever it is making it unbeatable and recently got a copy of it on the cheap, where does it trigger?

edit: I've played the game long ago on the PSX so spoilers are not an issue, though you can put them in spoiler tags if desired - I can just read them.

You can tell if your version has the bug or not based on what the included firmware install is. If it's 2.5, you're safe. If it's lower, it has the glitch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ZenVulgarity posted:

A little bit, but the game also goes way out of its way to make it as easy as possible for you. Crank up the encounter rate, set it to easy, and auto-battle to your heart's content. However grinding by itself won't make the game easy, as later boss fights essentially require that you break the game with regards to job/ability set-up in order to win.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Prism posted:

After you fight Volt there's a slot machine game thing that you have to do to continue on with the game. Using it instantly hardlocks the game. The only way around it is to get somebody to play through the slot thing and save after the ensuing deluge of cutscenes on a non-broken copy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can tell if your version has the bug or not based on what the included firmware install is. If it's 2.5, you're safe. If it's lower, it has the glitch.

I don't remember what the included firmware install is since I have custom firmware.

Phantasium posted:

After you fight Volt there's a slot machine game thing that you have to do to continue on with the game. Using it instantly hardlocks the game. The only way around it is to get somebody to play through the slot thing and save after the ensuing deluge of cutscenes on a non-broken copy.

But I got further than this, so I guess I'm safe. Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Prism posted:

After beating Volt you have to do a puzzle to continue the game. The game freezes before you can do this puzzle.

As far as I'm aware Ubisoft never officially acknowledged it but many people have experienced it and Ubisoft's support team sent individual messages stating that the issue was firmware related.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Not at all. The game has weird difficulty spikes but if you're having trouble just turn the difficulty down until you're comfortable.

Alternatively make friends with someone high level and you can assign their unlocked skills to a character. Seems like cheating but Bravely Default is a game that challenges you to break it.

If you don't want to cheese the game then upgrade the armor shop (I think it's this) until 4 or 5 when you unlock the blessed shield. Using it casts cura which is a blessing early game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism posted:

I don't remember what the included firmware install is since I have custom firmware.

Some PSP games have a second UMD icon below the game-launching one with a Firmware version update. That's what you're checking.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

All Else Failed posted:

I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

From that, all I see that you want is something unique and good, and not open world or grindy. I'll repeat myself a few pages ago and say Nier. Not only does it have in my and a lot of people's opinions the best soundtrack in games, it also has a great story, great voice acting, and a lot of humor. I found it very unique as far as RPGs go in that you're a middle aged ugly dad out to find a cure for your sick daughter rather than being a teenager on an adventure. Gameplay is fast and easy, no grind necessary. If you play it, just don't do any sidequests unless you want to do them.

I like Grandia 1 more than 2. 2 being darker (yet still over the top cheesy) made it feel more like a Saturday Morning Cartoon meant for preteens, whereas 1 being lighthearted made it more cute and fun like a Disney film that could be enjoyed by all ages.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

All Else Failed posted:

Anyone?

Suikoden 2

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The answer is always Suikoden 2, it's an all time great jrpg.

e: honestly if you want to play Suiko2 you're best off if you emulate it and use the bugfix patch. The psx/psn version is pretty fuckin' sloppy, to the point where multiple pieces of music never play in game.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 26, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's also anti-grinding. Once your character is at the right level, EXP gained drops off a cliff, and any under leveled character gets a TON of EXP. it's a pretty easy game that is even more easily broken if you sharpen your party's weapons further than the game expects by going to towns before you're supposed to.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This has probably been brought up about ten times before, but I just bought Valkyria Chronicles on sale. And, whoa, is the tone all over the place. You can't simultaneously try to go for the horrors of war angle while also having lighthearted banter between the characters, it don't work! In the first ten minutes of the game Welken kills three men (for presumably the first time in his life) and then immediately makes nice small talk with a girl. Later he mentions it in passing to his nanny whose reaction can be summed up as "Oh that's nice dear". But then, afterwards the town is taken over and they jerk a few tears over how war is just people killing people. Oh, and apparently one of my shocktroopers is literally 12 years old.

Also, Vyse and Aika are in this game :psyduck: Do they ever do anything besides exist?

I've read some advice posts on this before buying it, but was the general gist that you have to scoutrush for A-ranks, but you shouldn't care about ranks and instead do skirmishes if funds run low?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
All of the grunt units that's aren't part of the "main" team just get a personality quirk, a class, and maybe an accent if you're lucky. That said, Vyse and Aika are pretty good grunts and I think both have an affinity with Rosie, so you can use those three to mow down enemies for the few missions where scout rush isn't a viable solution.

Also, just scout rush, since Alicia eventually gets things that allows her to solo maps with some orders, and I believe the game has some decent bonuses for getting A ranks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't scout rush, take your time because money is plentiful and at worst you repeat a skirmish mission or two. Scout rushing takes the whole point of the combat system away.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amppelix posted:

This has probably been brought up about ten times before, but I just bought Valkyria Chronicles on sale. And, whoa, is the tone all over the place. You can't simultaneously try to go for the horrors of war angle while also having lighthearted banter between the characters, it don't work!
Technically this is also a flaw of the first two Suikodens but we love em anyway

"luca just massacred an entire city as part of a ritual!! LETS POSE AS COLLEGE STUDENTS!" *flik tugs collar, hanna barbera sounds*

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A majority of games from Japan have the same type of dissonance, probably because of a cultural thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's kind of a Japanese thing, really. Final Fantasy VIII involves children raised in military academies as magic slinging assassins. You just got done trying to kill a witch and now you have to hurry back to school for the big dance where your friends are trying to set you up with a girl you don't like and look there's a girly mag someone happened to leave on the ground lol.

We live in a world where Hetalia is a thing.

e: It's probably because there's a wider range in the age of the target audience in Japan. I guess the American equivalent would be how movies used to be either G/PG or R/X; either suitable for basically everyone or suited only for adults. Which is funny because the CERO system goes from all ages > 12+ > 15+ > 17+ > 18+ but CERO B (12+) encompasses practically everything except alcohol and gambling.

Although I wonder what Japan's definition of alcohol and gambling are because the Dragon Quest series has always been all ages.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 26, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's a well known historical fact that nobody ever made jokes between 1939-1945

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't even just Japanese. Bioware and Obsidian games both are 'super serious setting, tons of wacky cartoon characters."

I mean Dragon Age: Inquisition is about a horrific civil war and near-apocalypse with tons of people dying. It's also got Sera.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Don't scout rush, take your time because money is plentiful and at worst you repeat a skirmish mission or two. Scout rushing takes the whole point of the combat system away.

But if you don't scout rush you'll inevitably get a lower ranking, so you are actively rewarded for ignoring the fun combat system. If you try to have fun, the game will probably just kill you.

Valkyria Chronicles has Problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

it's a well known historical fact that nobody ever made jokes between 1939-1945

Russian humor is really dark.