Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

FlyingCheese posted:

Parenting done right.

I don't know. I think letting kids watch the state of the union is some manner of mental abuse.

Serious talk though. That was heartwarming and fantastic, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

You're a good guy.

Admittedly, I turned on the SOTU both to watch it for myself, but also to bore N+1th Doctor who was fighting her bedtime something fierce.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

karl fungus posted:

I never thought of it before, but gently caress, I can just make a little ion scooter and put a command seat on top of it, right? Should be great for low-gravity moons!

Thanks for the idea!
Each ion engine thrusts about 450lb at full throttle. On Minmus and similar-sized moons, you can get to orbit without breaking a sweat.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

Now do it with TAC LS. :getin:

Yep that would be pretty bad. I had a quick look, 25 years of life support comes to 36 tonnes. Or half the total mission mass!

The 64k mod that increases the Kerbol system size will be a great test of stupidly long kerbaled missions for me with TAC. I've installed the outer planets mod to this and mission times are in the decades, I'm hoping RoverDude's OKS will keep my Kerbals alive long enough that their children will return to Kerbin...

immelman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 26, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Bill, Bob, and Jeb? Meet Sall, Val, and Mae.

:jeb::jeb::jeb::jeb::jeb::jeb:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just cheated enough money to get custom action groups, after dealing with basic ones for a while.

I've enjoyed most of the restrictions, but not this one. I gain nothing from manually clicking each drat solar panel or experiment, and proper action groups become critical for important missions.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I was hoping to visit both of Kerbin's moons in one single trip, but things took an interesting twist!

Kerbin orbit, heading towards Minmus.

Nice, circular, low orbit.

Bob in the command seat.

We have separation!

There's no way to control this loving thing!

Oh gently caress it.

:rip:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Count Roland posted:

I just cheated enough money to get custom action groups, after dealing with basic ones for a while.

I've enjoyed most of the restrictions, but not this one. I gain nothing from manually clicking each drat solar panel or experiment, and proper action groups become critical for important missions.

Agreed whole-heartedly on this one. If anything the game should encompass mechjeb-styled features the higher you get up in the tech tree. After planning nodes for the umpteenth time it starts to get wearisome, and it'd be nice if I could click a "plan maneuver node" button.

I think the late game needs a distinctive shift away from micro and into macro as you progress tech-wise; much like the Kerbol system itself.

e: Thinking about it, being able to subcontract things to the AI for cash would be great. I can outsource the meticulous missions, such as refuelers, out to the AI (like Space X). Or, I can design a payload and outsource it to the AI to launch. That would make assembling my space stations and interplanetary missions much more fun I think. I'd much rather focus on the fun parts of building, like design and assembly (to a degree).

Trivia fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The basic action groups can be used for things other than what they are titled. For example, I use Abort to deploy solar panels. But yeah, not many to work with.

E: there is probably going to be better progression and balance with 4~5 levels of buildings.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Robzilla posted:

Someone tell FlowerChild's mother so she can go downstairs to her basement and give her kid a smack.
What's he done now?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Falken posted:

What's he done now?
Threw a tantrum about Kirbelles being added.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Continued to exist

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

immelman posted:

I used them a lot when I did a low mass grand tour a while back, landed a Mk1 pod on every body except Laythe, Tylo, Duna, Eve and Moho (where I used rockets). The recent buff makes them a bit overpowered compared to the real thing!
https://imgur.com/a/Nm2wN

This is really cool, the logistics of the various engines and lander assemblies make my brain hurt just to even figure out where to begin. How long did this take to plan?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo that Jeb jumping to circularize on Eve

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've been trying to phase out my usage of MechJeb for a while, and my last missions to Eve and Duna were made without using Mechjeb for anything but warping for set amounts of time. However, now I want to go to Gilly. How in the poo poo do I figure out transfer windows for bodies like Gilly? The best I can do is match planes with it, but its orbit is so eccentric that I cannot figure out when to depart for it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Based on it's orbit I"d say transfer so you intercept at it's Periapsis no?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Cubey posted:

I've been trying to phase out my usage of MechJeb for a while, and my last missions to Eve and Duna were made without using Mechjeb for anything but warping for set amounts of time. However, now I want to go to Gilly. How in the poo poo do I figure out transfer windows for bodies like Gilly? The best I can do is match planes with it, but its orbit is so eccentric that I cannot figure out when to depart for it.
After getting in the same plane (usually in a lower orbit) I plan out a maneuver node to take my periapsis out to meet Gilly's orbit. If the intercept is way way off, I try seeing what it'll be like in a few orbits (the buttons at the bottom of the node when it's, uh, unselected? When you have the red cancellation x and none of the directions available. The buttons at the bottom there will advance the node by an orbit). I can usually get to something reasonably close and tinker with it from there to get to Gilly's extremely tiny SOI.

EDIT: the tinkering I do in the last step is usually to adjust either the amount of radial burn or the burn timing

Thesoro fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 26, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cubey posted:

Transfer to to Eve, aerocapture, rendezvous with Gilly like you would a station.

Certainly, there are more efficient methods, but Gilly happens to be cheap to get to anyway.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Has anyone had experience building SSTO spaceplanes with FAR & Deadly re-entry running? I was thinking a spaceplane would be a cheap option for collecting science results from my orbiting spacelab but have as of yet not attempted re-entry from orbit in a spaceplane while running DR. Any tips from veterans out there?

I'm using B9 parts but am still at sub 100 science R&D complex, I've seen some of the B9 parts have a 'shielded' option in the right click menu and was wondering if that referred to them acting as heatsshields...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vetitum posted:

Has anyone had experience building SSTO spaceplanes with FAR & Deadly re-entry running? I was thinking a spaceplane would be a cheap option for collecting science results from my orbiting spacelab but have as of yet not attempted re-entry from orbit in a spaceplane while running DR. Any tips from veterans out there?

I'm using B9 parts but am still at sub 100 science R&D complex, I've seen some of the B9 parts have a 'shielded' option in the right click menu and was wondering if that referred to them acting as heatsshields...

A small launch vehicle and capsule is probably going to wind up much easier and cheaper than a space plane. But in answer to your question, anything with an active heat shield will be shielded from heat, and anything with the ablative resource will consume that resource for heat gained above ~600C.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Spookydonut posted:

A small launch vehicle and capsule is probably going to wind up much easier and cheaper than a space plane. But in answer to your question, anything with an active heat shield will be shielded from heat, and anything with the ablative resource will consume that resource for heat gained above ~600C.

The thing about the SSTO is that it's only gonna cost the fuel you use on the way, and hell, if you have karbonite you can just have a small rig next to the landing strip to refuel it instead of reclaiming it.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

Agreed, I think I just like the idea of a space plane flying up to the station and coming back in one piece.

Is there a way to set things like the fuel tanks in the fuselage to shielded, or is that option not available on stock parts?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

SeaborneClink posted:

Threw a tantrum about Kirbelles being added.

Gaming communities are the worst cesspools of sperg and entitlement. God forbid someone updates art assets of a Beta game to reflect the fact they understand that their character models are uniformly male in appearance and naming convention.

I have a daughter and I appreciate the efforts to rectify what is an educational and just plain fun game with reference to the uniformly male art assets and naming conventions the characters are given. What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Girls don't like them so can't have girls in games? In fact, I am positive I don't want to know the actual hosed up reasoning behind this crap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It seems to vary between "girl models aren't important because I don't care about them you need to work on other things instead" through to "women are oppressing the gamer minority and that's racist"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nalesh posted:

The thing about the SSTO is that it's only gonna cost the fuel you use on the way, and hell, if you have karbonite you can just have a small rig next to the landing strip to refuel it instead of reclaiming it.

Using SSTO with DRE means you need to shield the entire launch vehicle against heat, which isn't easy.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I've been looking for any guides out there on this, but haven't been able to find anything reliable.

Guess I'll just have to put in a couple of hours of trial and error.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Spookydonut posted:

Using SSTO with DRE means you need to shield the entire launch vehicle against heat, which isn't easy.

Is there a possible reentry trajectory that keeps your heat down? I've landed quite a few craft where I come in shallow enough and don't even get reentry effects. I'm running FAR, but not DRE, though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

EightBit posted:

Is there a possible reentry trajectory that keeps your heat down? I've landed quite a few craft where I come in shallow enough and don't even get reentry effects. I'm running FAR, but not DRE, though.

Too shallow and you'll burn up. Too steep and you're going too fast and burn up, though if it's starting from a lower altitude it's less of a problem because you don't have as much energy to get rid of.

Basically you want to protect your parachutes/engines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EightBit posted:

Generally any trajectory shallow enough to not kill the aircraft is also not deep enough to function as a meaningful aerobraking maneuver, especially at interplanetary transfer velocities where your initial braking maneuver has to stop you flying out of the system.

So yeah you can plot a course which keeps your heat down, but not generally one which actually slows you down as much as you need it to.

Doing it from LKO though might be manageable, if tedious.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 26, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Decided to fiddle with spaceplanes and uh...well now I see why people bitch about aerodynamics in this game, christ :negative:

Guess it's time to suck it up and install FAR.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Cubey posted:

Decided to fiddle with spaceplanes and uh...well now I see why people bitch about aerodynamics in this game, christ :negative:

Grab B9 Aerospace and the large wings too, works a trick.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cubey posted:

Just abuse control surfaces.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Spacman posted:

Grab B9 Aerospace and the large wings too, works a trick.

I'd recommend just B9 Procedural instead of B9 Aerospace. The latter has way too many impractical parts, and Spaceplane Plus is already great anyway.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/515/B9%20Aerospace%20Procedural%20Parts

FAR is fantastic, though. You might want to reduce the aerodynamic failure threshold a bit early on though.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Are the B9 Procedural parts incorporated into the Tech Tree?

The standard procedural wings mods didn't show up when I was looking for them in an earlier save of a career mode game.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Vetitum posted:

The standard procedural wings mods didn't show up when I was looking for them in an earlier save of a career mode game.

They should be, but if you mean old as in pre update that could be the issue, or you may have to go back through the tree and re-click everything to get the parts unlocked. That used to be A Thing.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Generally any trajectory shallow enough to not kill the aircraft is also not deep enough to function as a meaningful aerobraking maneuver, especially at interplanetary transfer velocities where your initial braking maneuver has to stop you flying out of the system.

So yeah you can plot a course which keeps your heat down, but not generally one which actually slows you down as much as you need it to.

Doing it from LKO though might be manageable, if tedious.

Or, there's a reason basically every craft that's ever successfully come back from space has used the same re-entry method which requires heat shields. It Works (tm).

Vetitum posted:

Could be that or Interstellar radiation shields? I never played that far.

Mr. Manley has many, many videos of SSTO craft. It's difficult, tedious, and you probably want a fuel balancer mod more than anything. Pump forward to turn into a lawn dart for the re-entry, pump back to gain maneuverability for landing.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I've been using the default action groups to toggle stuff: Want to toggle the lights on my RemoteTech satellite? Better toggle the solar panels too! Don't want to activate the engines manually? use the Gear button!

Cubey posted:

One of my favourites was when I was using small girders instead of landing gear (trying to save science points). My plane flipped upside down and exploded and... my wings sort of bounce-flew away very slowly for a good 60 seconds, dropping, then climbing, and slowly getting higher each time. Then they suddenly remembered gravity, and dropped out of the sky from a good 50 metres up. It was weird.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Vetitum posted:

They are. I'm playing career mode.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cubey posted:

I'm in a similar boat, only in the last week have I been experimenting with aircraft in a serious way. Its kinda fun! I can see the appeal now, but it sure is counter-intuitive. I might also have to do the FAR thing, though I still don't plan on doing any space planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Spacman posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Girls don't like them so can't have girls in games? In fact, I am positive I don't want to know the actual hosed up reasoning behind this crap.
Basically this:

I don't have any heartwarming stories of daughters playing KSP, but I nonetheless want to say thank you to Squad for the show of equality.
It's already been mentioned that some classes/schools use Kerbal Space Program to stoke an interest for engineering, orbital mechanics and space in general. In that situation having no female representation sends The Wrong Message™.