Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Acrophyte posted:

:negative: it would. it would, dammit

KFC-care covers Rascal Scooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

Issue: It has IL going red while WI stays blue. That just seems absurd

Regardless of its dumb flips, the point of the map was that democrats have a pretty decent advantage in the electoral college.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I mean I hate to say never, ever, but given the state of the Republican Party right now short of some sort of disaster in the next two two years is there any way that Clinton doesn't just sail through the next election saying she will continue the Obama policies and is also a Clinton?

I just don't see a scenario where a serious Republican candidate decides to risk an absolute clobbering instead of setting up from 2020.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 26, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
2016, if all the states that were just narrowly Democrat in 2012 instead went Republican:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huckabee: bring them bibles

quote:

“Because we were bringing Bibles to school people weren’t bringing guns to school, except for the deer hunters who left them in their trucks,” Huckabee said. “What has happened to our culture? What’s happened is we have lost our landmarks. When we reject the Bible as the objective word of truth, when we say that the Bible is no longer the standard by which we live and we make it whatever we feel, what we think, what we believe, then we have no landmark at all because that landmark is always being moved to accommodate our lifestyle rather than make our lifestyle accommodate the word of the living God and the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 26, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Someone threw up a map in the chat thread that showed Hilary winning even if Illinois, Nevada, Colorado and Florida flipped to republican.

That was a joke thing I did when MIGF was threatening an illinois-for-Jeb tantrum over Obama's library decision. To demonstrate that it that would not be a make-or-break even in a relatively favorable scenario for the Republicans.

Of course Illinois would not actually go red. Just subsititute in Ohio or a combination of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Huckabee: bring them bibles

Out of curiosity, how many of the school shooters and general mass shooters have been non-Christian? There was the sniper after 9/11, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's no true Christians carrying out most if not all of the shootings in America.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Doctor Candiru posted:

Why hasn't Gary Locke been mentioned at all for VP?

Because our state is so secure and obedient to the Dems that we never get anything. Also it would probably make China freak the gently caress out, they are already terrified of Locke because of The Starbucks Incident.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

This new candidate could win southern conservatives if it runs

How does one even eat that?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

agent_wildflower posted:

With a knife and fork you loving animal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

agent_wildflower posted:

Noisily, and with a profound sense of shame.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

agent_wildflower posted:

Same way as any other hotdog?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

agent_wildflower posted:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This new candidate could win southern conservatives if it runs

I'd eat it and hell, I'd probably enjoy it too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i take back the "probably enjoy it" part of my last post

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'd eat it and hell, I'd probably enjoy it too.

Can you check the post just above you. I want you to be sure.

edit: /\/\/\. Ah, I see you have.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Three Olives posted:

I mean I hate to say never, ever, but given the state of the Republican Party right now short of some sort of disaster in the next two two years is there any way that Clinton doesn't just sail through the next election saying she will continue the Obama policies and is also a Clinton?

I just don't see a scenario where a serious Republican candidate decides to risk an absolute clobbering instead of setting up from 2020.

Hillary Clinton couldn't stop saying something stupid at least once a week in 2014. I don't think she's going to be a very good candidate.

You already have her campaign managers / advisors, who she picked, doing dumb poo poo like announcing possible VP picks already. There is a good chance it is going to be a horribly mismanaged campaign full of loyal but not the best people, just like 2008.

Additionally, I highly doubt it's going to have the same quality of people who ran OFA and I think her GOTV will be less effective.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I hope Mitt Romney fails & Chris Christie wins, everybody

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

If someone gives me a dump of a bunch of her speeches I can do this. I wrote a few 'ebooks' bots and wouldn't mind unleashing another one on Twitter.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/sarah-palin-gridiron-speech.htm
https://www.facebook.com/notes/sarah-palin/video-and-transcript-of-the-tax-day-tea-party-speech-in-madison-wisconsin/10150157894008435
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuckraker/sarah-palins-farewell-add_b_245215.html
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/sarahpalin2010teapartykeynote.htm
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94258995
http://www.maggiesnotebook.com/2014/03/cpac-2014-sarah-palin-speech-transcript-and-video/
http://www.sarahpac.com/posts/gover...-and-transcript

all of these are dumped in this: http://m.uploadedit.com/b044/1422311195183.txt

A C-span transcript of this weekend's speech is here: http://anamariecox.tumblr.com/post/109048029529/palins-performance-art It's incomplete and terribly formatted. Any bot would be terribly unfinished without a complete version of this, so I'll keep poking around and try and find a better one

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
If Rand Paul runs in the primary in 2016, will he run as an actual candidate, or as an issue candidate?

His father's primary runs always went on long after he had lost any chance of winning, or even showing. But Ron Paul was running to get the Libertarian message out, and to raise dialog, not actually to win.

So if Rand Paul doesn't place in the top 3 in the first half-dozen contests, does he drop out and just the the opportunity to build his brand, and come back in 2020, or get a VP/cabinet slot? Or does he hang on because someone needs to be the Libertarian standard bearer?

My guess is that Rand Paul, unlike his father, is more trying to build an actual candidacy, rather than just be a spoiler/protest vote.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

If Rand Paul runs in the primary in 2016, will he run as an actual candidate, or as an issue candidate?

His father's primary runs always went on long after he had lost any chance of winning, or even showing. But Ron Paul was running to get the Libertarian message out, and to raise dialog, not actually to win.

So if Rand Paul doesn't place in the top 3 in the first half-dozen contests, does he drop out and just the the opportunity to build his brand, and come back in 2020, or get a VP/cabinet slot? Or does he hang on because someone needs to be the Libertarian standard bearer?

My guess is that Rand Paul, unlike his father, is more trying to build an actual candidacy, rather than just be a spoiler/protest vote.

Rand Paul would have to give up his senate seat to run for president, even Rand Paul is not stupid enough to do that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Awful Palin talks?

Wonkette bought an account on her website and post all her videos for those who do not suscribe

http://wonkette.com/tag/sarah-palin-fartknocker

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Know what it reminds me of? http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1981

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I'm gonna need some new undies and Grant Morrisons phone number.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Come on, man, those speeches were way clearer than any Palin speech :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mdemone posted:

Like many other molecules and larger objects in the universe, sugar is chiral (that is to say, asymmetric) in the right-handed direction. So we have evolved to deal with right-handed sugar. Presumably a left-handed sugar-like molecule would not interact the same way with our bodies, likely just passing through for the most part without being absorbed into tissue.

If one could make a left-handed sugar, it could very well taste like sugar while having minimal physiological impact. Which means the John Galt of sugar would print money until the end of time.

Have a swiped image:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot this wasn't the chat thread. This is a bit of a derail.

oh.

Reason # 502 why I'm not rich.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Rand Paul would have to give up his senate seat to run for president, even Rand Paul is not stupid enough to do that.

Like Senator McCain did? Or Senators Obama and Biden?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

sullat posted:

Like Senator McCain did? Or Senators Obama and Biden?

Kentucky state law won't allow you to be on the ballot twice in that situation. Rand needs a state law passed in order to allow him to keep his senate seat while running, and the GOP-controlled state legislature hates his guts. They already told him to get bent about a year ago when he asked nicely if they'd pass the law for him.

That's why Rand running is such an interesting question. If he gives up his senate seat while running for president then we know for certain he's not a grifter in the same ilk as his father just using the GOP primary to drum up his national fundraising.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2015

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

ErIog posted:

Kentucky state law won't allow you to be on the ballot twice in that situation. Rand needs a state law passed in order to allow him to keep his senate seat while running, and the GOP-controlled state legislature hates his guts. They already told him to get bent about a year ago when he asked nicely if they'd pass the law for him.

That's why Rand running is such an interesting question. If he gives up his senate seat while running for president then we know for certain he's not a grifter in the same ilk as his father just using the GOP primary to drum up his national fundraising.

If I understand the situation, he could file a suit arguing that the states can't restrict his eligibility for senator/president beyond what the constitution proscribes. Although it would be :irony: coming from a man so in favor of "State's Rights :911:"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Acrophyte posted:

If I understand the situation, he could file a suit arguing that the states can't restrict his eligibility for senator/president beyond what the constitution proscribes. Although it would be :irony: coming from a man so in favor of "State's Rights :911:"

He might be able to do that, and it would make him look tremendously weak. "Yeah, I totally believe in my campaign." out of the one side of his mouth while working harder than any other candidate has ever worked to hedge his bet in a very public way. That's not something he wants to do.

I'm also not sold on the idea that this lawsuit would work. Ballot access has always been controlled at the state level. Arguably that's not how it should be in a perfect world, but I have not seen any good legal argument why Kentucky doesn't have the power to control ballot access like they already do. They can even already control which parties can put poo poo up for nomination via those ballot access procedures. The idea that ballots have to have consistency for federal elections in all 50 states is not born out by history.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 27, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

He might be able to do that, and it would make him look tremendously weak. "Yeah, I totally believe in my campaign." out of the one side of his mouth while working harder than any other candidate has ever worked to hedge his bet in a very public way. That's not something he wants to do.

He wouldn't need to do it, someone else from Kentucky who was attempting to gain position for both positions on ballots could as well. Say, someone running for Senate and President from Kentucky for the Libertarian Party?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

couldn't he just withdraw from his senate race if he won the primary? Presumably if he managed to drum up enough support to beat Jeb and Mitt, it's worth the risk to try for the whole shebang. Or are we talking about Rand Paul running on the Paul Party Ticket in the general?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

QwertyAsher posted:

couldn't he just withdraw from his senate race if he won the primary? Presumably if he managed to drum up enough support to beat Jeb and Mitt, it's worth the risk to try for the whole shebang. Or are we talking about Rand Paul running on the Paul Party Ticket in the general?

He could do that, and that would be the smart way to go if he's serious. The reason people talk about this as a big stumbling block for him is because of the machine his father set-up where he ran non-serious campaigns for his own personal gain. People are wondering whether or not he intends to follow in his father's footsteps or if he has more ambition.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Depends. The Paulistas probably wouldn't see it the way a sane person would. If he is a grifter he's running, and if he's a true believer he's running. His father's coalition (/loose assemblage of crazies) is probably getting up there, so he needs fresh blood into the movement. No better way to do that than a presidential run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What his campaign is most worried about is that he can't be on the KY Senate and President primary ballot at the same time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Senate is a very, very cushy job and it's hard to see Rand being re-elected if he gives up his incumbency. I guess it would be something to see him throw it away for a 0% chance to be elected president he has shown himself to be far to craven for me to believe he would do such a thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

What his campaign is most worried about is that he can't be on the KY Senate and President primary ballot at the same time.

Hahaha eat it you rug wearing motherfucker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahaha eat it you rug wearing motherfucker.

A Fisher-Price toy telephone wearing a rug. That's pretty close.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

FAUXTON posted:

A Fisher-Price toy telephone wearing a rug. That's pretty close.

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: cannot unsee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Acrophyte posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: cannot unsee

Welcome to my world since the first time I saw that pop-eyed motherfucker.

• Locked thread