Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

what is the windows 7 equivalent of those dingy beige double and treble-wide 3.5 inch diskette holders, you know that rainbow array of a four dozen floppies all labeled workbench+numeral-decimal-numeral that the amiga owner's first son stans to one day inherit?

i envision a velcro case logic binder full of torn off oem keys, the special ones with the pre-ripped bits and 'security threads'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

well that settles it then, i guess this is what it feels like to turn into one of those old dingbats still running dos to get along just fine with ansi-view word processing

you cant wilfully decide to skip two full os releases and not develop an interest in ham radio and sea captains hats

i look forward to designing myself a spiffy qsl card and storing old bits of wire in coffee cans

Phoenixan posted:

becoming one of those hardcore amiga fans who cling to amiga os and try to make it work in the modern world at any cost

except windows 7

pretty sure this is literally my future

i am still too much of a smelly nerdlord to get an imac or whatever (a pc should not be 100% hermetically sealed gently caress u ghost-jobs let me put in my own rams)

i dunno maybe give it a few years and i'll get better

pram
Jun 10, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

what is the windows 7 equivalent of those dingy beige double and treble-wide 3.5 inch diskette holders, you know that rainbow array of a four dozen floppies all labeled workbench+numeral-decimal-numeral that the amiga owner's first son stans to one day inherit?

i envision a velcro case logic binder full of torn off oem keys, the special ones with the pre-ripped bits and 'security threads'

its called MSDN

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

pretty sure this is literally my future

i am still too much of a smelly nerdlord to get an imac or whatever (a pc should not be 100% hermetically sealed gently caress u ghost-jobs let me put in my own rams)

i dunno maybe give it a few years and i'll get better

you can put ram into a 27 inch imac

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

you can put ram into a 27 inch imac

oh how about that. lol @ soldered ram in the 21"

also still needlessly complex to get to the goddamn hard drive

listen i said im a curmudgeon ok JUST GIVE ME SOME TIME

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im gonna put ram in my imac (but not yet)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:smuggo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and the nice thing is, osx can utilize all my memory. because its a 64 bit operating system. unlike windows xp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

its called MSDN

we used to have the small business technet account, it was brilliant and it made it very easy to test stuff out

then they poo poo all over technet because it was far too useful and consumer friendly and miscrosoft absolutely, passionately hates the smb space

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

we used to have the small business technet account, it was brilliant and it made it very easy to test stuff out

then they poo poo all over technet because it was far too useful and consumer friendly and miscrosoft absolutely, passionately hates the smb space

smb doesn't buy $10 million sharepoint licenses nobody uses

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

smb doesn't buy $10 million sharepoint licenses nobody uses

actually, sometimes they do.

or you know, they spend $80k+ on developing a sharepoint site just to have us decommission it two years later when it turns out they didn't actually buy any loving sharepoint or sql licenses and no one at their implementation vendor thought to mention that they might need to do that

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

actually, sometimes they do.

or you know, they spend $80k+ on developing a sharepoint site just to have us decommission it two years later when it turns out they didn't actually buy any loving sharepoint or sql licenses and no one at their implementation vendor thought to mention that they might need to do that

go back to iyg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

go back to iyg

get hosed you creepy sperg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wish some macs would come with decent non-mobile non-pro gpus

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
maybe this is why the win 10 event last week trotted out the half baked hololens to flog. earnings were not good for windows and don't really show any signs of growth this year: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-q2-earnings-2015-1

also buried in the release: "Microsoft confirmed that it's only selling the Surface Pro 3, and is no longer manufacturing the cheaper Surface 2."

surface RT is officially dead. it will be hilarious to see how long they go denying its death.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

surface revenue totals have almost met the marketing spend for surfaces

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

surface RT is officially dead. it will be hilarious to see how long they go denying its death.

that's going to take baghdad bob levels of spin to accomplish.

more likely, they just do what they always do with their more embarrassing failures, and never mention it again

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kin :pram:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What is Microsoft's plan to get people to upgrade to WXI after giving WX away free?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrMoo posted:

What is Microsoft's plan to get people to upgrade to WXI after giving WX away free?

pestering everyone into using microsoft accounts means a massive revenue spike for bing azure and skydrive which will offset costs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jealous munch??

i don't think it charges anymore :( rip lil kin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MrMoo posted:

there is no WXI, windows 10 is the last version of windows, from now on it's just perpetual upgrades under the same name

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cygni posted:

jealous munch??

nice blackberry cable

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MrMoo posted:

i think, thanks to apple, we're past the point where anyone can get away with charging money for os upgrades outside of a business environment, and they should really have either an msdn subscription or a proper turnaround on machine replacement anyway

it's painfully obvious that os upgrades are enough of a pain in the rear end without having to pay for them and are why there are still way, way, way too many machines running xp out there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't use msdn licenses for production stuff

volume licensing and software assurance are a hilarious clusterfuck. you pay yearly, per license, and you can only use the licenses on machines that already ship with a business class (e.g. Pro sku) copy of windows, so no matter what you're buying windows at least twice per machine

this is why microsoft can still print money

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do you think they'd include Vista and XP in the Windows 10 upgrade giveaway if 10 could run on those systems?

Will they ever be able to abandon support for Windows 7 hardware in their future free OS giveaways?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cygni posted:

jealous munch??

d'aww

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Do you think they'd include Vista and XP in the Windows 10 upgrade giveaway if 10 could run on those systems?

doubtful.. didn't they fire a bunch of QA people? sounds like they'd want to start trimming the backwards compatibility poo poo back a bit. but who knows

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nice blackberry cable
the bad choices never end

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

it came with that cable for some reason, also in a generic engrish box that just said CELLULAR PHONE with stock photos of white people laughing

i got it for $15 long after kin died cause I wanted to see if there were any good ideas or anything notable in the OS.

not really.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

you can't use msdn licenses for production stuff

volume licensing and software assurance are a hilarious clusterfuck. you pay yearly, per license, and you can only use the licenses on machines that already ship with a business class (e.g. Pro sku) copy of windows, so no matter what you're buying windows at least twice per machine

this is why microsoft can still print money

ah yes, i got my terms mixed up

and that "os vl's are upgrades only" is the most hilarious scam, especially since so few people know about it and i bet microsoft rakes it in on compliance fines

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
they are still going to charge for it (somehow) after the first year so we are still stuck with licences and Microsoft Genuine Advantage bullshit until they turn windows into a f2p mmo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

pseudorandom name posted:

Will they ever be able to abandon support for Windows 7 hardware in their future free OS giveaways?
they could do something like let you run the win10 updater on a yet-to-be activated copy of win7 with a wink-nudge oopise that still lets them comply with gaap to not treat win10 as free in accounting terms

they've got multiple reasons on multiple fronts to get the world off of xp and 10's gaudy revenue and advertising hooks may make it worthwhile to let everyone have it

it would also be nice to see ms give up on another dream from the 90's to one day 'make china pay for software'

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cygni posted:

it came with that cable for some reason, also in a generic engrish box that just said CELLULAR PHONE with stock photos of white people laughing

lmao thats perfectly fitting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cygni posted:

i got it for $15 long after kin died cause I wanted to see if there were any good ideas or anything notable in the OS.

not really.

didn't they kill the cloud back end years ago, so none of the data integration stuff on the phone, or even the basic non-phone functions work?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrMoo posted:

it's not like anyone upgrades their windows voluntarily now. oems and attrition will eventually seal the deal. oems will fork over cash for the latest version of windows no matter what, and at some point windows 10 will just not be available in stores anymore

i doubt they're gonna call the next one windows 11 though. after windows 9 10 fails they'll probably conclude that they need to abandon numbers and come up with something creative instead. and then they'll assign a committee of middle managers to come up with options for a committee of upper managers to review

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

windows 360

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

windows one

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

if I ever have to reinstall windows I'm pretty sure I have to install vista and then use my windows 7 upgrade disk lol

or could I, like, somehow legally download a windows 7 ISO from MS by inputting my keys somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

becoming one of those hardcore amiga fans who cling to amiga os and try to make it work in the modern world at any cost

except windows 7
what would such a person's fursona be

• Locked thread