Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mu Zeta posted:

Name other 13" laptops that have i7 quad core processors. It's too much heat.

Look, I didn't say it was rational! I said it was a dumb question from a dumb guy. I just feel like I remember seeing them on other laptops but I fully admit I could have been hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ramadu posted:

Look, I didn't say it was rational! I said it was a dumb question from a dumb guy. I just feel like I remember seeing them on other laptops but I fully admit I could have been hallucinating.

There are a couple 14" laptops with a quad core. The most well known one is the Razer Blade:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/razer-blade-14-review-2014/

Oh, Gigabyte has a 13" laptop with a quad core (but no offer to pay for your medical care at the nearest burn center when you accidentally put it on your legs):

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/06/gigabyte-aorus-x3-plus/

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 27, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Let's just put it this way

MacBook Air: uses 15 watt dual-core CPUs
13" rMBP: uses 28 watt dual-core CPUs
15" rMBP: uses 47 watt quad-core CPUs, high end model also has a ~50 watt NVidia GPU

The 13" Pro is substantially faster than the Air because not all two-core CPUs are created equal. Of course the 13" Pro pays for that by having to pack a lot more battery capacity and still gets worse battery life than the 13" air.

Intel doesn't make low power quad cores right now. They could if they wanted to but the results probably wouldn't be as good for you as the dual core CPUs they're selling you in the same power envelope. (because they'd have to restrict the clock speed to be absurdly low to keep power down, and most software is better served by a pair of fast cores than four slower cores)

triteon
Feb 20, 2005

I ordered a refurbished rMBP 13" Mid-2014, 2.8ghz i5, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd. They gave me a 3ghz i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd! Is this an error in my favor or are they known to do things like this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

triteon posted:

I ordered a refurbished rMBP 13" Mid-2014, 2.8ghz i5, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd. They gave me a 3ghz i7, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd! Is this an error in my favor or are they known to do things like this?

Some guy in the thread reported a similar thing. You probably ordered a model they ran out of stock of and they thought "gently caress it". 'Error' in your favour, enjoy your new machine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

triteon posted:

Refurbs are basically a "minimum spec", it's possible you might get a refurbed built to order with better specs.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

triteon posted:

That happened to me today. Same specs ordered as you, got the same boost. VMWare will be even happier!

Even cooler was being waited on at the Fruit Stand by a blind kid, assisted by VoiceOver throughout the whole transaction and initial setup. Amazing times.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

triteon posted:

Wow, way to poo poo all over my unique experience of buying a 13" RMBP. That said, I chose the 2.6GHz and 256GB SSD with 16GB and got the i7. :newt:

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Yosemite I'm assuming? My wife's late 2013 rMBP has been doing the same, although not as bad. Disabling/controlling gpu switching seems to be the magic fix until Apple gets around to fixing it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602046

Thanks for this. At least I know why my mid-2012 rMBP crashes every week or two now. :( Turning off GPU switching is a pretty crappy fix, though.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
What is the most cost effective Apple computer to get for coding apps with Xcode? I've been learning programming for about a year and have taken a couple courses and want to start publishing Iphone apps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rivid posted:

What is the most cost effective Apple computer to get for coding apps with Xcode? I've been learning programming for about a year and have taken a couple courses and want to start publishing Iphone apps.
If you don't mind a desktop and/or already have a screen and peripherals, an older (refurbished or used) Mac mini. Oldest I'd go is 2011 cause the CPU. 2012 is modestly improved, USB 3 is nice if you have external storage around though. The RAM (up to 16GB) and drive(s) are upgradable, although the latter isn't meant to be user upgradeable so it's not as super easy like the RAM. Ideally you could get a SSD but I don't know if that's outside of your budget.

2014s replace FireWire with another Thunderbolt port (and they get updated to TB2 actually)...but the box is no longer upgradable, more or less. You can upgrade the drive still I think, but the RAM is soldered. Oh and the low end is cheaper but the CPU is on par at best (GPU still bumped a bit), and on the high end went from a quad in 2011/2012 to dual core.

tl;dr look for a 2012 Mac mini for a desktop, 2011 if you need to save more money. Technically you could go as far back as 2009 models but that'd be taking a major performance hit, and I'm not sure they're all that much cheaper.

For laptops, I dunno, 2011-2012 MBAs or MBPs I guess? Similarly you can go back to I think 2008 MBPs, the ones w/the same spec as that 2009 mini, but same performance caveat applies.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Cool! Thank you for the info. My current desktop computer is actually a think pad hooked up to a monitor and keyboard. So I've already got the setup, I'll just have to get a HDMI to VGA converter.

I know the pricing is too good to be true, but what's up with the $70 iBooks on amazon? Do they not have access to the Mac store or something?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

rivid posted:

I know the pricing is too good to be true, but what's up with the $70 iBooks on amazon? Do they not have access to the Mac store or something?

Ann Landers rule: If It Looks Much Too Good To Be True, It Probably Is.

Just kidding, used laptops from the stone age with the matching specs are perfect for anything you would want to do these days. 1 GHz G4s with 384 MB of memory will make Xcode 2.0 fly, OS X Leopard and lower are fully supported with great security and with even greater warranty options.

The people who wrote the one-star reviews about them being defective, horribly outdated or both are probably just shills or something.

- * * * -

Okay... If I'd be REALLY low on money but wanted something supported that can run current versions of Xcode with anything remotely approaching decent performance, I'd follow what japtor said and get a used/refurbished Mac mini.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rivid posted:

Pre-Intel. Nothing released in almost 10 years will run on them. At all. Not just because of their low specs, but because they're an entirely different CPU architecture.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 29, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eddiewalker posted:

Pre-Intel. Nothing released in almost 10 years will run on them. At all. Not just because of their low specs, but because they're an entirely different CPU architecture.

They're slower than dick anyway.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Gotcha, that's all I needed to hear. Apple is out of refurb Mac Minis, but the sale person on the phone will shoot me an email when they're back in. Thanks for all your help guys!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rivid posted:

Cool! Thank you for the info. My current desktop computer is actually a think pad hooked up to a monitor and keyboard. So I've already got the setup, I'll just have to get a HDMI to VGA converter.
Looking it up, HDMI to VGA won't work cause it's a digital only output on there, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA one instead. If your monitor has DVI you could just get a DVI cable, since the 2011/12 models come with a HDMI-DVI adapter, plus it'll be a nicer connection to the display.

rivid posted:

Gotcha, that's all I needed to hear. Apple is out of refurb Mac Minis, but the sale person on the phone will shoot me an email when they're back in. Thanks for all your help guys!
Huh, didn't know they'd do that. You could also just sign up for a notification here:
https://www.refurb.me/us/desktop/mac_mini

If nothing else that page gives you the price and spec spectrum you have to choose from if/when they show up, just remember the 2014s have soldered RAM. It's possible to swap the drive but it looks like more of a pain in the rear end to do so vs the 2011/12 models.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How do I get a Danish PC USB keyboard working with my Mac Mini? I mean, it's working and all, but nothing's in the right place.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

bolind posted:

How do I get a Danish PC USB keyboard working with my Mac Mini? I mean, it's working and all, but nothing's in the right place.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Keyboard-Language-of-a-Mac I think you need this article

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
My old mac pro at work is minutes from melting down, so I need to get a new machine.

I do lots of fairly-heavy photoshop work, so I know that "get a Macbook Pro" is the obvious, common-sense answer. However, every single Pro I've used has been a tremendous piece of poo poo, with battery issues, terrifying overheating (as in, scared to touch!), wi-fi connectivity issues, etc. I used to own one and it was a real mess - too hot, disk drive broke within a year, and eventually the battery exploded. And I treat my machines very well - kept it clean, cool, didn't game a lot on it, took good care of it. And posts like this don't fill me with confidence:

Maneki Neko posted:

Yosemite I'm assuming? My wife's late 2013 rMBP has been doing the same, although not as bad. Disabling/controlling gpu switching seems to be the magic fix until Apple gets around to fixing it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602046

For contrast, every Air I've used has been fantastic, and one of my coworkers has been doing heavy design lifting on an Air for years with zero issues / complaints about speed. Anyways, what do goons recommend? Am I vastly overexaggerating the issues Macbook Pros have? This is on the company dime so should I just spring for the top tier macbook pro anyways?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 30, 2015

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I do lots of fairly-heavy photoshop work, so I know that "get a Macbook Pro" is the obvious, common-sense answer.
(...)
This is on the company dime so should I just spring for the top tier macbook pro anyways?
You do professional Photoshop work at your workplace? Why not get the retina iMac? If you're discerning images that others will see, you need a larger canvas than 13". And if you have CC or CC 2014, retina Photoshop is a dream.
Unless your priority is being able to take it home.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

kuskus posted:

You do professional Photoshop work at your workplace? Why not get the retina iMac? If you're discerning images that others will see, you need a larger canvas than 13". And if you have CC or CC 2014, retina Photoshop is a dream.
Unless your priority is being able to take it home.

13" is indeed too small for a primary screen but I'll be hooking it up to a big apple monitor. I've love to just get the iMac but I definitely need a laptop because we do a lot of design presentations, so I need the machine to be portable. Also, yeah, taking it home is important - tried to work on stuff from home during the snowstorm this week and couldn't do poo poo because my photoshop version didn't match, so many fonts to sync, so many visual resources to sync, etc. Leaning heavily towards the macbook pro simply because it seems stupid to get a non-retina computer in 2015 when you do digital design work.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 30, 2015

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

13" is indeed too small for a primary screen but I'll be hooking it up to a big apple monitor. I've love to just get the iMac but I definitely need a laptop because we do a lot of design presentations, so I need the machine to be portable. Also, yeah, taking it home is important - tried to work on stuff from home during the snowstorm this week and couldn't do poo poo because my photoshop version didn't match, so many fonts to sync, so many visual resources to sync, etc. Leaning heavily towards the macbook pro simply because it seems stupid to get a non-retina computer in 2015 when you do digital design work.

iMac at work, remote in with air? Maybe not the best with design, but if the work from home is limited it might work out for you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

13" is indeed too small for a primary screen but I'll be hooking it up to a big apple monitor.

:words:

Leaning heavily towards the macbook pro simply because it seems stupid to get a non-retina computer in 2015 when you do digital design work.
Will you be working on an external monitor primarily all the time? Cause that kinda makes the retina point moot...plus the retina screen makes regular monitors look like rear end in comparison.

Not that it matters, I'd be saying to get the MBP either way if you need a portable :v:

(Comedy option - the Mac Pro is semi portable!)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Polo-Rican posted:

My old mac pro at work is minutes from melting down, so I need to get a new machine.

This doesn't sound accurate, if its one of the old classic tower Pros it's built like a tank, I'm betting you mean more like you / your job doesn't want to throw any more money at it. You guys want to toss it in the garbage, I'll take it, throw in an SSD, slap on Yosemite, give it a R9 280X, and make it part of a BOINC rendering farm.

quote:

:bullshit about MBPs:

Yeah, mostly true about 2007-2011 models, but Apple's pretty much perfected the MBPs since making them Retina, making them SSD-only, and improving battery life / heat issues.

quote:

Am I vastly overexaggerating the issues Macbook Pros have?

No, but you seem to be in the camp of living in the past since they largely don't have those same issues in today's selling machines.

quote:

This is on the company dime so should I just spring for the top tier macbook pro anyways?

Goes without saying. Top tier has both dedicated GPU and integrated GPU. You want to have the dedicated GPU for when you're making presentations with it as it'll provide the fastest graphics, and switch to integrated when you're not connected to AC power and need to make the battery last a bit longer. Oh yeah, do remember to splurge for the 3 year AppleCare Extended Warranty, especially if you're going to lug it around a lot; it'll pay for itself with the first repair.

Polo-Rican posted:

Leaning heavily towards the macbook pro simply because it seems stupid to get a non-retina computer in 2015 when you do digital design work.

:agreed: Also, as has been said before, retina screens tend to greatly reduce eyestrain, allowing you to work for longer periods. Go to a fruit stand and see for yourself.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

(Comedy option - the Mac Pro is semi portable!)
http://www.sfbags.com/products/mac-pro-go-case

Gonna have a helluva time toting around a display though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah the display would be a problem, but a Mac Pro itself is loving tiny for a server-class desktop PC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that only really works if you have a screen/peripherals at both places so you just move the computer itself. I did it with a Mac mini in my backpack for a while, course the MP is a good chunk bigger than that.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

every single Pro I've used

Let's not get into the habit of abbreviating a MacBook Pro as "Pro", particularly not if you're talking about the Mac Pro in the same post. It just makes it more difficult to guess what someone is talking about.

Polo-Rican posted:

And posts like this don't fill me with confidence:

Well, people post about their issues and generally not about not having issues. I've had rMBPs from day one and don't have that issue. All I've seen on any rMBP was a freeze back in 2012 with a specific version of Xcode.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Binary Badger posted:

Gonna have a helluva time toting around a display though.

Tape an OLED to the outside of the MacPro. Wrap-around style.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is pretty neat, apparently there's mSATA adapters for the older retina MBPs w/SATA connections:
http://techobsessed.net/2015/01/the-cheapestbest-2012-retina-macbook-pro-ssd-upgrade/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Polo-Rican posted:

For contrast, every Air I've used has been fantastic, and one of my coworkers has been doing heavy design lifting on an Air for years with zero issues / complaints about speed.

Just going to add to the chorus by saying that retina MBPs are thicker Airs with retina displays, faster CPUs/GPUs, and more ports. If you like an Air and you're fine with something heavier, you'll like a rMBP.

If you're super worried about GPU heat and/or graphics switching stability, just don't get the high end 15" model. That's the only one that has a discrete GPU any more, and you can BTO the 512GB SSD and better processor into the lower model if you need those. If you're primarily a photoshop user you probably don't need a fast GPU anyways.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
It's getting close to my birthday, which means it's about time for me to buy a new rMBP. My I've decided to go with a 15" model, similar to what I already have, which is a mid-2010 with GPU crashes on a weekly basis.

My concern now is making sure my new machine lasts as long as this one has, or better. I work in fabrication. The shop I work in has a dust issue, but my department will be moving to a better location soon with double doors to keep out the dust from everybody else. I'm also worried about drops/tools clunking it. Part of this process is going to be a change of habits on my part - taking care of it better. Another part for me is that I'm considering getting one of those hard shells... my current macbook has a tiny ding on the back cover that causes a shadowy spot you can barely see on the screen side, and I think a shell could have prevented this, though I'm not sure what caused it originally.

Anyways, are the shells worth it? I mean, they can't protect from drops much I assume, but may provide some protection from the environment.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Anyways, are the shells worth it? I mean, they can't protect from drops much I assume, but may provide some protection from the environment.

Having a shell might have prevented that particular problem by spreading the load out over a larger area. The ones I have seen probably wouldn't help if you dropped them, since they are hard they would just merrily continue the transfer of energy into the body of the laptop.

As for the dust, a shell probably wouldn't help and might make things worse, since dust etc could get between the shell and the body, and scratch up the aluminium. It'd only be cosmetic damage though.

Does your shop have some kind of insurance you can get covered by, or have you looked into your own? I know a few people who cover camera gear in this way on a small professional equipment policy.

Have you recently opened it up to blow the dust out? Enough may have accumulated to make the GPU overheat and give you issues. A new laptop would be just as susceptible to this kind of thing as your old one. Nothing a quarterly treatment of compressed air wouldn't help solve though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Get the 15" with the second GPU for the sake of future-proofing. Also, shell cases are the loving devil and they ruin the aluminum more than the possibility of a drop makes them worth. It will get scratched and you will try to replace it and it will gouge your rMBP when you do it.

Just be decently careful and have a soft cushy and robust case to put it into when it's not in use. I personally love Timbuk2 bags and Herschel zipper cases(the fabric, stitching, and padding make them quite strong and they come in some attractive designs at decent prices. I keep my iPad in one that I got at TJMaxx for $13 and it's let me keep the thing nude for months without a care in the world).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

This is pretty neat, apparently there's mSATA adapters for the older retina MBPs w/SATA connections:
http://techobsessed.net/2015/01/the-cheapestbest-2012-retina-macbook-pro-ssd-upgrade/

Wow. I wonder how long have those been out?

Should be an easy fix for those early 13" Retinas that only had 128GB storage. Then again I never really had a problem finding throw-away 256GB from the 15" models for those.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
My early 2011 13" MBP's fan has been making a pretty annoying buzzing noise for the last week or so, I finally had enough and opened it up to clean it out. The dust on the fan wasn't apocalyptic or anything, but just blasting it with a rocket blower seems to have cleared up almost all of the noise. Apparently you can re-grease the axles on the older MBP fans, but mine seems to have little teeny rivets or something securing the center rather than screws, so I left it alone. I may just replace it if the tiny bit of noise it has persists, or try some compressed air if I see a can for cheap.

I also had re-assembled the bottom case wrong the last time I opened it (was holding the MBP upside down relative to the guide I had painstakingly written myself :downs:). A screw had gotten stuck in a hole that was too big for it, leading the bottom to kinda bulge out a little. By slipping my tiny screwdriver in the other end and applying a little bit of pressure, I was able to finally get the threads to grab and was able to back it out and re-assemble the whole thing properly. Also finally swapped over the screws from the factory hard drive to keep the SSD from rattling around.

Main thing I did, however, was to Plasti-Dip the bottom. It was pretty scratched up; I tried some automotive rubbing compound but the scratches were too deep for that to help. I may redo it tomorrow because I was a little heavy-handed along the edge in a few places on the first or second coat, which led to some bubbling (also an eyelash got in it while it was drying), but otherwise it looks pretty good. It's easy to work with and take off; cutting out the holes for the rubber feet with the end of a bent paperclip was pretty easy. I'm kinda tempted to mask off the sides with painter's tape and do the outside of the lid too.

I do need to order another set of those drat rubber feet after I move, have lost all 4 of mine over the last few years :argh:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

So, the fan noise started this whole effort. It seems like plasti-dipping an aluminum computer, itself being a cooling mechanism, would increase retained heat and thus keep your fan blowing more often.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

kuskus posted:

So, the fan noise started this whole effort. It seems like plasti-dipping an aluminum computer, itself being a cooling mechanism, would increase retained heat and thus keep your fan blowing more often.

It's not that the fan that was blowing and bothering me, the noise was a lot louder and buzzier than it should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

kuskus posted:

I'd just try to buy a case bottom from Amazon or similar. Some people create weird issues for themselves.