Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Look, we all agree that global warming is the existential crisis of our time, but anything that results in the destruction of Orange County can't be all bad.

As someone who lives in the Baldwin hills area, I see no downside to my new island beachfront property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

D.N. Nation posted:

Please tell the class what exactly George Soros did, Glenn.
I'm really curious about this too. The entire lineup's always on the right's poo poo list, but Holder and Sharpton have at least talked about Ferguson---has Soros touched on the subject at all?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'll take grotesque over boring any day of the week.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

D.N. Nation posted:

It's a cute disconnect the right has with American Sniper. On the one hand, If You Don't Like This Movie You Hate America, as if it were still 2004 or something. On the other, the White House is EEEEEEEEVIL I HATE GOVERNMENT ALMOST 50% OF AMERICANS SUCK. For people who demand adherence to their limited view of patriotism, they sure don't like America/Americans that much.

e: And I should mention the troops. Not the nebulous "ARE TROOPS" concept, but the soldiers at constant risk of having their benefits cut by austerity vampire Republicans. Wingnut love of The Troops goes only as far as 1) The idea of them killing those people and 2) Sweet military toys and tanks and laser planes!!!!

There's another disconnect. American Sniper is blatantly Moby Dick and they're cheering on Ahab as his obsession takes hold of his life and consumes him. Like seriously the main character reduces himself to a weapon to fight a war that's only chewing up the Americans his motivation is to protect and doesn't have any impact on American life, and he only becomes human again when he turns his efforts to protecting the people he swore to protect by helping them through the damage the war did to them, undoing the damage he suffered in turn. Like it's a pretty blatant thematic arc that people are missing to get all rah rah about Are Troops and ignoring the whole bit about our actual flesh and blood soldiers used to fight a war and left stranded and broken in a country that doesn't acknowledge them as humans but as something else.

I guess what I'm saying is A Good Movie.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 27, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Looks like somebody has a firm understanding of the global oil trade :cawg:

Also of how oil derricks work (why is that cable not wrapping around the end? why is the linkage on the left attached a foot from the end, wasting a very expensive foot of possible leverage?)

e: seriously, as someone who to some extent works in energy policy, it kills me how much of the rhetoric about oil drilling has NO grounding in reality

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 27, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

we're you not around FOR THIS EXACT DISCUSSION NOT EVEN A MONTH AGO zoux?

Some goons asked to have periodic UK toon updates, so deal

I just said I didn't like the art style. I'm not required to like the art style.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I just said

zoux posted:

Also isn't there a UK politoon thread maybe they should all go there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well since you brought it up, maybe that's not such a bad idea.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

I just said I didn't like the art style. I'm not required to like the art style.

then ignore them and move on retard

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Not saying that global warming isn't a threat, but isn't a 260' rise basically the ultra ultra so many things have to go wrong worst case scenario? I thought that kind of change was nearly impossible. Am I wrong?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like that the UK toons are posted here, even if I sometimes (when I have a lot to catch up on) scroll past them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hey can we have a cartoons thread without cartoons? That'd be great. We can spend the entire time pontificating about Lafuff's moral character without linking his art.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Well since you brought it up, maybe that's not such a bad idea.

Make an 'all politoons except those british ones' thread and stop following this one, problem solved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

then ignore them and move on retard

Good idea, I will forbear on my critique of political cartoons, in this, the thread for exactly that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not saying that global warming isn't a threat, but isn't a 260' rise basically the ultra ultra so many things have to go wrong worst case scenario? I thought that kind of change was nearly impossible. Am I wrong?

Basically 260' is what happens if ALL the polar ice melts. So we'd have to lose most but not all of the world's coastal cities and then keep doing what we're doing without any kind of improvement for another few decades afterward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Good idea, I will forbear on my critique of political cartoons, in this, the thread for exactly that.

thank you

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Cpt.Americant posted:

We don't know yet. There's all sorts of crazy poo poo going on now, but due to the now inevitable collapse of a sizable chunk of Antarctica we are guaranteed a minimum of 20 feet over the next 200 years. And that's the most optimistic model.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

xthetenth posted:

There's another disconnect. American Sniper is blatantly Moby Dick and they're cheering on Ahab as his obsession takes hold of his life and consumes him. Like seriously the main character reduces himself to a weapon to fight a war that's only chewing up the Americans his motivation is to protect and doesn't have any impact on American life, and he only becomes human again when he turns his efforts to protecting the people he swore to protect by helping them through the damage the war did to them, undoing the damage he suffered in turn. Like it's a pretty blatant thematic arc that people are missing to get all rah rah about Are Troops and ignoring the whole bit about our actual flesh and blood soldiers used to fight a war and left stranded and broken in a country that doesn't acknowledge them as humans but as something else.

I guess what I'm saying is A Good Movie.

I actually can't bring myself to watch it because A) apparently the guy who it is based on was a massive bigot and B) the ironic cheering for the murder of Muslims that has occured in its wake.

Maybe if the enemy in this was another empire state (or a whale), instead of people of a general ethnicity that has had an explicit torture program directed at it in the last decade, maybe the dehumanization of the enemy could be overlooked, but right now it just feels like it will just feed the hate machine, regardless of Eastwood's intent.

zoux posted:

Critique away, just don't start poo poo about 'stop posting [x]' because we already settled that and no, we aren't going to stop so shut up

feel free to call them ugly, they are

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 27, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

DarklyDreaming posted:

Basically 260' is what happens if ALL the polar ice melts. So we'd have to lose most but not all of the world's coastal cities and then keep doing what we're doing without any kind of improvement for another few decades afterward.

A bit of a tangent, but a large portion(nearly half iirc) of ocean level rise is due to thermal expansion of the oceans water, not counting any phase transitions from polar ice.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

zoux posted:

I'm not saying you should stop posting, but surely you can see why people find it a banal and toothless criticism to say 'they're grotesque' when that's kind of what they're going for? It smacks of a wilful blandness in the art you consume.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

colonel_korn posted:

2 "Crusifixions"
Oh, ISIL is well aware that they have Obama's attention. And they really, really wish that they didn't.

That was a US airstrike on ISIL-controlled Tel Shaer hill back on October. Fast forward to the present:

US airstrikes have allowed the Kurds to retake Kobani completely, and ISIL has lost nearly 1100 fighters in Kobani with absolutely nothing to show for it. Oddly, nobody has done a cartoon about the Kurdish liberation of Kobani; I can understand that none of the usual shills want to admit that Obama's strategy to "degrade and ultimately destroy ISIL" is actually working, but I would have expected Latuff to weigh in.:raise:

So here, have a Kurdish political cartoon to fix that:

(Handle is the Kurdish flag.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

2 "Crusifixions"

"Americans for Limited Government"
*draws cartoon lamenting American government isn't engaged in EVEN MOAR WARS abroad*

Would they be happy if the US Government made a formal declaration of war, including all the special powers that go with it, such as instituting draft, raising taxes and commandeering private property for the war effort, and so on?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

J_RBG posted:

I'm not saying you should stop posting, but surely you can see why people find it a banal and toothless criticism to say 'they're grotesque' when that's kind of what they're going for? It smacks of a wilful blandness in the art you consume.

So like if I was at a GWAR concert (or more accurately GWAR showed up at a different concert I was at) and started spraying fake blood and cum on the audience and I was like hmmmm I don't care for this style, your response is "that's what they're going for bud".

I get that, I don't like it and I said as much. It's fine that people like it, I guess if I hadn't off handedly mused "Isn't there a thread for those cartoons" then I wouldn't be in the metaphorical stocks. It's fine though I'll avenge myself on the next person to say that a cartoon would work better with fewer words :twisted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, could someone point me to where to find the cartoon where some lady is telling a kid lying on the ground "you're gonna have to get the hell out of my country" and holding a bible? I can't find anything using terms like that on Google.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

fade5 posted:

(Handle is the Kurdish flag.)

Read about this in the ME thread and all I can think is :toot: gently caress yeah go Kurds

They are pretty much the only good guys over there (FSA are pretty good but have some factions that are problematic)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I actually can't bring myself to watch it because A) apparently the guy who it is based on was a massive bigot and B) the ironic cheering for the murder of Muslims that has occured in its wake.

Maybe if the enemy in this was another empire state (or a whale), instead of people of a general ethnicity that has had an explicit torture program directed at it in the last decade, maybe the dehumanization of the enemy could be overlooked, but right now it just feels like it will just feed the hate machine, regardless of Eastwood's intent.

I'm actually pretty sure it's A Good Movie rather than a good movie. There's other seriously problematic aspects (I mean really. The only two times civilians come up it's for them to get killed by insurgents or a kid who plays with an RPG and almost gets killed by Ahab for angst points. Literally everybody else is fighting against the Americans.) But the people whose view those aspects show are the people who treat your point B as a premise, not even as a conclusion, and feed it into the movie and get out a reinforcement of their belief because they're wallowing in a fog of cognitive dissonance. What it is when viewed in context is getting dragged into an obsessive, myopic view of an ugly war that's chewing other people up as the main character gives up his humanity to prosecute it more effectively, and he doesn't even notice the people it's affecting except as how it relates to him killing.

And yeah the dude sucked so massively that SEALs sided with Jesse Ventura over him.

Re: Brittoons, this is like going to a Rammstein concert with GWAR as the opening act and getting mad at fake bodily fluids.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 27, 2015

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

carry on then posted:

Hey, could someone point me to where to find the cartoon where some lady is telling a kid lying on the ground "you're gonna have to get the hell out of my country" and holding a bible? I can't find anything using terms like that on Google.

I think it's in the Gay Abortions OP.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cat Mattress posted:

Would they be happy if the US Government made a formal declaration of war, including all the special powers that go with it, such as instituting draft, raising taxes and commandeering private property for the war effort, and so on?
Yes because that would mean they would be able to send the poor and middle classes to die while their rich spoiled sons and daughters could probably dodge the draft

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

joeburz posted:

A bit of a tangent, but a large portion(nearly half iirc) of ocean level rise is due to thermal expansion of the oceans water, not counting any phase transitions from polar ice.

I was really surprised when I read this, as water expands very little with temperature in the range of temps you'd see on earth. But I just had some fun doing back-of-the-envelope calculations, and holy crap, a tiny change makes a big difference when you consider how deep the oceans are!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

Darrin Bell, "The Bad Samaritan" http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2014/07/at_the_border_meet_the_america.html

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zoux posted:

You specifically said "Can we just not post X" which is stupid and never goes anywhere.

Stop being an idiot over this, jesus christ.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

alnilam posted:

I was really surprised when I read this, as water expands very little with temperature in the range of temps you'd see on earth. But I just had some fun doing back-of-the-envelope calculations, and holy crap, a tiny change makes a big difference when you consider how deep the oceans are!

Yeah it's a tiny change per unit but we got a lot of units to do it with.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, where the gently caress are my If global warming why snow cartoons :argh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hahaha those comments :allears:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Also, where the gently caress are my If global warming why snow cartoons :argh:

This should hold you over http://ifglobalwarmingisrealwhyisitcold.tumblr.com/

Also I hear the hot topic right now is about NYC, and it's "why did the city cry wolf and go crazy with preparations, we barely got any snow! De Blasioooo :argh:"

You know, because snow is so easy to predict and the consequences for being unprepared are minor and :kheldragar:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Let's face it. Do you really think this isn't possible?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yep that's it. Thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDarkFlame posted:

Let's face it. Do you really think this isn't possible?

I sincerely hope that the complete doomsday scenario forecast by almost all of the worlds climatologists resulting the death of billions is overstated and doesn't happen, yes.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I'm actually pretty sure it's A Good Movie rather than a good movie. There's other seriously problematic aspects (I mean really. The only two times civilians come up it's for them to get killed by insurgents or a kid who plays with an RPG and almost gets killed by Ahab for angst points. Literally everybody else is fighting against the Americans.) But the people whose view those aspects show are the people who treat your point B as a premise, not even as a conclusion, and feed it into the movie and get out a reinforcement of their belief because they're wallowing in a fog of cognitive dissonance. What it is when viewed in context is getting dragged into an obsessive, myopic view of an ugly war that's chewing other people up as the main character gives up his humanity to prosecute it more effectively, and he doesn't even notice the people it's affecting except as how it relates to him killing.

And yeah the dude sucked so massively that SEALs sided with Jesse Ventura over him.

oh so you meant it was Mobi Dick only the moral lesson isn't 'vengeance against an animal is pointless', it's 'Kill that motherfucking Whale'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread