Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
This is so dumb. Going against stupid retards' e-bushido code with legitimate game mechanics totally counts as griefing. Otherwise pretty much nothing Goons do in EVE Online or Age of Wushu counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

SaltyJesus posted:

This is so dumb. Going against stupid retards' e-bushido code with legitimate game mechanics totally counts as griefing.

This. Sometimes just using all the tools at your disposal that others might overlook is enough to bring people to a frothing rage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

let me tell you about what griefing really is

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
So... Elite : Dangerous is prime territory for griefing. The game has a million ways of just killing you and laughing at you without player involvement. SO far we have enraged the entire player base (on their forums anyway) by :
  • Releasing clouds of palladium (one of the more expensive materials in the game) over our chosen home system and just giving it to pubbies. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103569
  • Making clever and witty news commercials
  • Stream sniping folks with horrible perv overlays

and a bunch of poo poo I cant say yet because its super secret and in the works.. If this thread survives long enough for it to pay off I'll have some WAY better stories.

Oh and in case y'all want to get in on some hot supahspy action I'll leave this here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post440705574

:getin:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

SaltyJesus posted:

Going against stupid retards' e-bushido code with legitimate game mechanics totally counts as griefing.
:thejoke:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Love the person who reccomended this guy a page or two back. He basically takes all the rules of the server and uses them to be a total loving prick, without breaking any, and get everyone else in trouble by pissing them off until they actually break a rule.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Love the person who reccomended this guy a page or two back. He basically takes all the rules of the server and uses them to be a total loving prick, without breaking any, and get everyone else in trouble by pissing them off until they actually break a rule.

clever as gently caress :golfclap:

good catch I missed that one...

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks and yeah, he's loving amazing. His GMod videos are really funny too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
stop arguing about whether or not something constitutes griefing jesus christ

its something awful in TYOOL 2015

:justpost:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Eonwe posted:

stop arguing about whether or not something constitutes griefing jesus christ

its something awful in TYOOL 2015

:justpost:

It's like a public bathroom. Some people grief by screaming at people while they try to poo poo in peace or by carving "James is a human being" on the stall walls. Others find novel ways to leave soul-destroying poo poo storms in the toilet or try to make everyone throw up by the force of their gas. Whether you use the facilities within the manner they are supposed to be used isn't generally important, the reactions are the focus.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
haha im an internet poster and i want to seriously discuss what griefing is

here's more kids getting mad @ gmod if ur into that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5S2996iIc&t=342s

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That's a pretty crappy simile.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

That's a pretty crappy simile.

your moms a pretty crappy simile. now on the words of this thread, it is you who have gotten griefed. bow down

Daman posted:

haha im an internet poster and i want to seriously discuss what griefing is

here's more kids getting mad @ gmod if ur into that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5S2996iIc&t=342s

lol this owns

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nthalp posted:

Wait did people seriously get mad over goons giving away free stuff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes..... yes they did.
because REASONS.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap the paranoia in the thread is hilarious.

quote:

Goons are nothing if not clever when it comes to organising new ways to grief. I fully expect this to turn out to be a grief fest but am not clever enough myself to figure out how. I am pretty sure FD will be keeping a close eye on this and closing any loopholes that may come to light.

And just because you SAY you are different from the Goons in EVE don't for a minute expect me to trust you or any of your ilk. A Goon is a Goon in my eyes and always will be.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

nthalp posted:

Yes..... yes they did.
because REASONS.

I remember one Star Trek Online story where the goons let people use their guild starbase freely. I don't know poo poo about that game but fully upgraded starbases have the sort of stuff people would pay a lot of ingame money just to access it. Unsurprisingly, people were pissed.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Collecting stuff floating in space does require careful maneuvering to ensure it actually hits your cargo scoop, so I'd imagine that the giveaway involved a lot of collisions, shouting and shooting the proverbial fish in the barrel.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

I remember one Star Trek Online story where the goons let people use their guild starbase freely. I don't know poo poo about that game but fully upgraded starbases have the sort of stuff people would pay a lot of ingame money just to access it. Unsurprisingly, people were pissed.

its extra hilarious because the whole "gimmick" of The Federation is some post scarcity society where everyone helps each other to better benefit man and all that jazz, and people are getting mad that they are doing just that, lmfao

also someone post that star fleet dental fire extinguisher video thing

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap the paranoia in the thread is hilarious.

If there is in fact crossover with the eve goon population that's not paranoia at all.

Argas posted:

This wasn't just "oh goons share free poo poo people are angry because reasons"

Starbases in STO at full upgrade level are actually pretty rare, if I remember. More than half the population that plays the game is not in a guild which can get a starbase maxed out, and so the guilds which do have maxed starbases charge inordinate amounts of money for one time access to a starbase because there's poo poo you cannot buy anywhere else that people need for their min max shooty laser ship builds. When goons allowed free access to their starbase it actually seriously cut into some guild business for a number of groups which was going a long way towards maintaining their starbases and those guilds suddenly had to go run around and work their asses off to keep their poo poo established.

Take fat lazy STO roleplayers and tell them that the gravy train has ended because goons and yeah you get some really enraged people.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 27, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hirvox posted:

Collecting stuff floating in space does require careful maneuvering to ensure it actually hits your cargo scoop, so I'd imagine that the giveaway involved a lot of collisions, shouting and shooting the proverbial fish in the barrel.

well the fun part, is that the way we did it caused wholesale duping of the palladium.. basically for every player in the instance it duped again so in between all the wacky bumper cars of players trying to scoop endlessly cloning cargo containers, you could barely move because of the ridiculous lag. Good friggin time was had by all.. we also did it every hour on the hour for 12 hours

https://twitter.com/GoonNewsNet/status/559089287635795968/photo/1

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hahaha, people are so mad at him.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SaltyJesus posted:

This is so dumb. Going against stupid retards' e-bushido code by posting totally counts as griefing.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
touché

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I gotta say someone coming in here and posted "I TK'd some lol" is kinda loving boring. I mean we've all done it, the barrier for entry is a bit low. For low effort poo poo I liked to strap C4 on the back of someone's jeep in BF2. If it was a non FF server they would just drive off, because it's not like I can damage them right?

That's technically true, but I can wait until they are driving over a bump/up a slope and turn their jeep into a rocket :getin:

I don't remember which BF game it was but you could slap C4 on the tail of a plane and it would kick the tail up. Wait till they get to the end of the runway then cause them to ram into the dirt if they weren't a fast thinker. Queue the entire team calling them retarded for loving up taking off.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

I gotta say someone coming in here and posted "I TK'd some lol" is kinda loving boring. I mean we've all done it, the barrier for entry is a bit low. For low effort poo poo I liked to strap C4 on the back of someone's jeep in BF2. If it was a non FF server they would just drive off, because it's not like I can damage them right?

That's technically true, but I can wait until they are driving over a bump/up a slope and turn their jeep into a rocket :getin:

I don't remember which BF game it was but you could slap C4 on the tail of a plane and it would kick the tail up. Wait till they get to the end of the runway then cause them to ram into the dirt if they weren't a fast thinker. Queue the entire team calling them retarded for loving up taking off.

I know in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 you could just fire the stationary AA gun into helicopters as they took off, and they would pretty much flip over and explode if the pilot wasn't superhuman. This worked really well on servers without FF.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Don't gently caress around with the Second Life biker gangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTYFs380rI

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Inkel posted:

This is amazing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I was almost hoping that was an Esteban video.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Inkel posted:

Cousins of Anarchy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cousins of Anarchy.

:golfclap:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhlc6ttQbg

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kGoO1fLCU0

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Esteban's schtick gets boring fast, here's a great SL grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1O8-x1_MU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Mash posted:

I love how the victim goes from "this is my character" to "I am thinking on 40 levels beyond your mortal existence" as he gets angrier. Talk about escapism.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

The real grief is I can't see these sweet vids.

I can see them now it's a good youtube channel.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Inkel posted:

Why do they get pissed when you zoom in on them?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Mash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1O8-x1_MU

I can't even figure out what's going on here. The black cat thing claims that their character created the universe and it has a copyright, so no other characters can claim to have created the universe?

Like this guy is loving stupid I can't even understand it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Inkel posted:

take your goddamn goons with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If they had the power to kick him from the start why did they not just immediately do that?

• Locked thread