Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Allen Wren posted:

The only time I can think of that I've heard a twelve-string is the beginning of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.

Cheap Trick's bassist Tom Petersson is credited with inventing the 12-string and has been playing them on all their records since the late seventies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WescottF1 posted:

Cheap Trick's bassist Tom Petersson is credited with inventing the 12-string and has been playing them on all their records since the late seventies.

No poo poo. Huh.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
anthrax uses them on occasion but who gvies a poo poo about anthrax

e: also i think i've found the only dickhole monkey handle ibanez i've ever coveted. looks like it was refinished with that spray on truck bed liner stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSAXwShd1Y

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Someone just sent this to me with the caption "Namm 2015". You now know as much as I do.

I want to hate this but his Oompa Loompa costume makes it all the more fantastic.

edit: The headstock says, "Prat". This is fantastic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

IronLawnmower posted:

You've made an enemy for life.
Again?? gently caress!!

comes along bort posted:

the irony is the rampant ibanez fanboyism considering they were the first to really capitalize on both the downtuned cookie monster thing and later nu-metal

I'll admit to lusting after a universe reissue after seeing morbid angel back in 94, and the glowing guitar world review didn't help matters
Don't blame IBZ for that poo poo, dude. King's X detuned and wrote heavy metal with Beatles/Gospel vocals, years before IBZ made 7-strings (and Steve Vai made them popular). Ty Tabor never played an Ibanez. He played Yamahas, Fenders, Customs, Gibsons, Zions, and many more guitars.

Get your history straight and stop loving hating.

You know all those detuned bands? You know where the got the idea to tune down? King's X.

http://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2013/03/30/kings-x-this-band-was-once-the-future-of-rock/

quote:

Kings X – This Band Was Once The Future Of Rock

By Every Record Tells A Story on March 30, 2013 • ( 63 )

Kings X

Twenty five years ago – on March 28 1988, Kings X released their debut album Out Of The Silent Planet out into a very noisy world. The majority of the planet was busy making lots of noise, and has still yet to notice. However, for some, Kings X were spoken about as The Future of Rock. Their extraordinary music took rock music in new directions – and they were certainly an antidote to the hair metal bands of the day.

Kings X announced a London show at The Marquee in Charing Cross Road shortly after Out Of The Silent Planet was released, and I heard their call. Although I didn’t have the album, I thought I would go along and check them out.
I took this photo in 1991 at Wembley Arena when they supported AC/DC

I took this photo in 1991 at Wembley Arena when they supported AC/DC

The first cheer of the night came when the PA announcer explained he had asked the band how to pronounce their name. “It’s Kings Ex, rather than Kings Cross” he explained to a British crowd who were more familiar with the train station.

The three piece nervously took the stage. After the first song, I wasn’t sure if I liked them. They were very different to the likes of Aerosmith and AC/DC. But it only took until the third song to realise Kings X might have something special. As the hour long set climaxed, the audience turned The Marquee into the loudest building on the planet and raised its roof. The crowd were on their feet (it was an all-standing venue, so that’s damning them with faint praise a bit) and baying for more. Kings X had played their debut album almost in its entirety, had played a new song (‘Mission’) and then a very fast instrumental that would be released a few years later as ‘Moanjam’.

After several encores, they came out onto the stage to acknowledge probably the most ecstatic crowd I had ever witnessed and mouthed “We don’t know any more songs” to try to placate them. I thought to myself, even a noisy planet will soon know all about this band…

I bought the album, and it neatly slotted into my “Best albums of 1988″ list.

King's_X_Out_Of_The_Silent_Planet

Like the Seattle based bands that followed them, Kings X tuned their guitars low to give a bass heavy, grungy sound. They were no Nirvana though. The three piece blended deep, crunchy guitar riffs with gospel-like yet Beatles-tinged vocals and liquid rhythms. It sounded like nothing else that had been before.

Lead vocalist and bass player Doug Pinnick, in contrast did look like something that had been before, what with his military jacket and Wild Man of Borneo hair. He dressed like Hendrix with a mohican, but sang like no-one else.

A year later Kings X released a new album, Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. It was even better than the debut. They announced another gig at The Marquee. The noisy planet began to sit up and take notice of this odd-looking three piece with their tuned-down guitars, lush harmonies and wild solos.

Once again Kings X reduced The Marquee to mere rubble. It was an amazing performance, the kind that people count alongside the birth of their children, their wedding day or the time they defeated M Bison with a perfect score in Streetfighter II as a key moment in their lives. The stage diving that went on during the gig was extraordinary. People were just jumping onstage during the songs and launching themselves back onto the outstretched hands of the packed crowd. It resembled a David Attenborough documentary about lemmings at its peak. I looked up and there were two members of Anthrax joining in the stage diving, soaring over my head with huge grins on their faces. I have never before or since seen members of other rock bands stage diving at another band’s gig. This is a shame. How good would it be to see Justin Beiber stage diving into a Slipknot crowd – or perhaps even better – members of Slipknot at a Bieber gig?

So what happened to Kings X: the Future of Rock? Grunge happened.

Simply put, grunge turned out to be the future of rock instead. Sometimes that’s just how it goes.

Kings X’s guitarist Ty Tabor had an unusual guitar sound and style. But Kings X were not a grunge band. And after Nirvana conquered, although Kings X continued to make some excellent albums (Faith Hope Love, Dogman, Ear Candy), these perhaps lacked the impact of the first two records, and their moment had passed. That noisy planet carried on its business, listening to something else instead. It was the planet’s loss.

quote:

King's X

Hard Rock
Progressive Metal
Grunge

King's X is a critically acclaimed American hard rock band formed in 1980. Consisting of Doug Pinnick (who also uses the moniker"Dug")on bass and vocals, Ty Tabor on guitar and vocals, and Jerry Gaskill on drums and backing vocals, the power trio, quickly gained a name for themselves for their Beatles-inspired vocal harmonies, incorporating funk and grunge into progressive metal, their incredible musicianship,and their incredible live shows. Originally a Christian rock outfit, King's X gradually evolved into a more secular-oriented band before the release of their first album. However, Christians, ...read more

King's X is a critically acclaimed American hard rock band formed in 1980. Consisting of Doug Pinnick (who also uses the moniker"Dug")on bass and vocals, Ty Tabor on guitar and vocals, and Jerry Gaskill on drums and backing vocals, the power trio, quickly gained a name for themselves for their Beatles-inspired vocal harmonies, incorporating funk and grunge into progressive metal, their incredible musicianship,and their incredible live shows. Originally a Christian rock outfit, King's X gradually evolved into a more secular-oriented band before the release of their first album. However, Christianity does play a large part in their lyrics, with each of the members often writing about their struggles with faith as well as self-acceptance (particularly since Pinnick came out of the closet in 1998).

After years of touring, King's X released their debut album, Out of the Silent Planet in 1988, beginning a string of critically praised album that lasted until 1994's Dogman. However, the group never attained commercial success and, when the flop Ear Candy failed to capitalize on a lauded appearance at Woodstock '94, Atlantic dropped them from the label. Finally free of the pressures of a major label, King's X joined Metal Blade and began releasing a number of more experimental records such as Please Come Home...Mr.Bulbous and Manic Moonlight. 2005's Ogre Tones saw the band switching labels to InsideOut and returning to the more straight-forward sound of their earlier releases and was hailed as one of their finest albums. In 2008, King's X released their latest album,XV, which featured more of their classic sound.

Though they've never been popular, King's X are widely regarded amongst the hard rock and metal underground as one of the greatest bands around, as evidenced by their place on VH1's Greatest Artists of Hard Rock at #83, which was voted upon by a group of popular hard rockartists and critics.

King's X: Dogman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlqydZOrXbA

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 28, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

anthrax uses them on occasion but who gvies a poo poo about anthrax

e: also i think i've found the only dickhole monkey handle ibanez i've ever coveted. looks like it was refinished with that spray on truck bed liner stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSAXwShd1Y

one of my old Forum Friends had one of those rip mxtabs forums

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know all those detuned bands? You know where the got the idea to tune down? King's X.

One of the reasons King's X never got a lot of guitar press outside of album reviews was Ty Tabor's fear that someone was going to steal his sound. Back in the early days, dude used to hide his poo poo under curtains so no one could see what equipment was or what his settings were. I'd see his name pop up in Guitar Player and poo poo, but they never covered him in-depth because he wouldn't share specs or even his basic rig info with anyone.

Kind of the opposite of most guitarists I know, who can't shut the gently caress up about their poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

kings x is some pussified garbage lol

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BigHustle posted:

One of the reasons King's X never got a lot of guitar press outside of album reviews was Ty Tabor's fear that someone was going to steal his sound. Back in the early days, dude used to hide his poo poo under curtains so no one could see what equipment was or what his settings were. I'd see his name pop up in Guitar Player and poo poo, but they never covered him in-depth because he wouldn't share specs or even his basic rig info with anyone.

Kind of the opposite of most guitarists I know, who can't shut the gently caress up about their poo poo.

Yes this is true. The amazing thing is that he got that amazing tone from a Lab L5 amp, from the amazing guy who made the Pearce amps. They were solid-state. And yet they sounded loving amazing!

So yeah, he hid them, because I think he was afraid people would slag him for playing Labs.

And yet, Out Of The Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, Faith, Hope, Love, King's X, were all loving amazing tones. Then Dogman was Mesas, and Zions. Then, Ear Candy was Marshalls, Then it went downhill with ART amps, etc. You have to admit those first six albums (loving Brendan O'Brien) were awesome as gently caress. After that, I don't much care.

Still, You name a band that tuned down, and I loving guarantee you they copied King's X.

fyodor posted:

kings x is some pussified garbage lol
Nope.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Still, You name a band that tuned down, and I loving guarantee you they copied King's X.

looool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjQwS98oMg

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Well can we all just agree that all metal is stupid?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

king's x is played over the pa at an applebee's while grandma eats your rear end in a top hat out

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

I like metal, I do, but...

It's not even like you have to look hard, you know?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Don't blame IBZ for that poo poo, dude. King's X detuned and wrote heavy metal with Beatles/Gospel vocals, years before IBZ made 7-strings (and Steve Vai made them popular). Ty Tabor never played an Ibanez. He played Yamahas, Fenders, Customs, Gibsons, Zions, and many more guitars.

nah, they signed korn as endorsees pretty early on in iirc 95 right before they blew up, then not long after pushed all the 80s shred and jazz guys to the back of the catalogs and marketing stuff in favor of guys like dino cazares and the dude from limp bizkit

if anything it was really forward looking of them considering for probably a half decade they were the only game in town as far as production extended range guitars goes. there was actually a backlash for a while because they were so successful they were associated almost entirely with nu-metal for a few years in the early 2000s until i guess noted kings x fans meshuggah ended a lot of the stigma surrounding extra stringed guitars

Dr. Faustus posted:

it's great every time you trot this out as if it's somehow even physically possible, because it implies kings x has access to a time machine which they used to travel back to at least the 1960s to tell tony iommi what's up, and probably a good hundred years before then to give lessons to isaac albeniz

i mean, what a colossal waste of resources, demolishing all current knowledge of the time-space continuum merely to tell people to tune their guitars down. at the very least they could've warned stalin about hitler or told truman not to commit troops to french indochina

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 28, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

nah, they signed korn as endorsees pretty early on in iirc 95
1995, you say?

quote:

The first Universes, the UV7 and UV77 appeared on the market in 1990, though Vai had played prototypes in live performances before that. The UV7 was available in white (UV7PWH) or black with green appointments (UV7BK). The UV77 was available in a swirled multicolor finish (UV77MC) and is now considered a collector's item. The production UV77MCs were swirled first in Japan. Steve Vai had agreed to only allow the guitars to be produced if they were swirled at the same place his prototypes were: About Time Designs. After a brief period, the UV77MC Japanese Swirls were aborted in favor of the ATD-Swirled ones. The ATD swirled models were done at the ATD factory by Darren Johansen on Long Island N.Y.

HollisBrown posted:

Nah, King's X does metal in a much better way than other bands do metal.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TtWAV3mf20

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

1995, you say?

poo poo is like a capstone project from corporate rock institute of america™.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

1995, you say?

you're so wrong about everything

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Oh god - just saw this in the PYF Funny Pics

600EUR? whose in for a timeshare?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/santamaria-E-Gitarre-Guitar-Chitarra-Strat-Steampunk-vintage-Plasma-Handmade-/171646653116

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

1995, you say?

yeah they were first marketed to noodly shredder dudes but that was right at the rear end end of that whole thing so a ton got dumped on the used market for cheap, which is when korn, morbid angel, fear factory, et. al picked them up and used them for their god-given rightful purpose. seriously, you could find them for well under a grand for a while around 92-93. same with sunn amps before you know who made it so you hardly get a model t for under 2 large

incidentally the dual rec was initially put out for the same market and found a second life soon after

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 28, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

1995, you say?

Those guys are clearly just playing. A true metal band, like Manowar, actually kill. Remember this.

I discovered King's X after seeing them open for Dream Theater and Satriani at a show in Jacksonville. King's X is the part I still remember fondly.

Dumb music crap: I saw a flute today made by Conn-Selmer that had a rhinestone glued on the crown that left the factory like that. I'm certain it was sold at a markup based entirely on that rhinestone.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

King’s X has been a huge influence on other bands such as longtime fans Pearl Jam, Anthrax and Living Colour.
Other bands that credit King's X include Soundgarden, Live, Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul, Cry of Love, etc.

quote:

nah, they signed korn as endorsees pretty early on in iirc 95 right before they blew up, then not long after pushed all the 80s shred and jazz guys to the back of the catalogs and marketing stuff in favor of guys like dino cazares and the dude from limp bizkit

Nice edit, Bort. Way to ignore the Ibanez 7-string that Vai played five+ years before Korn (lol), Korn). Korn Gilbert is on page 2, Satch is on 3, and Vai's lineup in on Page 4. Not exactly "pushed to the back." There are forty-three pages.

comes along bort posted:

yeah they were first marketed to noodly shredder dudes but that was right at the rear end end of that whole thing so a ton got dumped on the used market for cheap, which is when korn, morbid angel, fear factory, et. al picked them up and used them for their god-given rightful purpose

incidentally the dual rec was initially put out for the same market and found a second life soon after

what

Noodly shredder dudes? Like whom? Steve Vai? Can you name another noodly shredder dude who endorsed 7 string Ibanezes in 1990? It was featured on Passon and Warfare and Whitesnake. How many other albums from 1989 and 1990 had 7-string guitars?

You win, Bort. Enough already.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Faustus, remember that time you spent several consecutive months not being relentlessly barking at the moon crazy?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HollisBrown posted:

Yes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm going to listen to morbid angel and emperor now

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

Faustus, remember that time you spent several consecutive months not being relentlessly barking at the moon crazy?
I do. Did you ever do that?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dr. Faustus posted:

Other bands that credit King's X include Soundgarden, Live, Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul, Cry of Love, etc.

Nice edit, Bort. Way to ignore the Ibanez 7-string that Vai played five+ years before Korn (lol), Korn). Korn Gilbert is on page 2, Satch is on 3, and Vai's lineup in on Page 4. Not exactly "pushed to the back." There are forty-three pages.

what

Noodly shredder dudes? Like whom? Steve Vai? Can you name another noodly shredder dude who endorsed 7 string Ibanezes in 1990? It was featured on Passon and Warfare and Whitesnake. How many other albums from 1989 and 1990 had 7-string guitars?

You win, Bort. Enough already.

I bought a UV7 in 1991 for about $1200. I was an idiot in 1991 thinking I was Alex Skolnic jr. It was the best playing guitar I ever owned even if it did sound like poo poo. I don't know of any electronics that would have saved it. Even then I was embarrassed to be seen with it in public. It was textbook fool and his money. That said, I do regret selling it and sometimes troll ebay from the SN.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

quote:
King’s X has been a huge influence on other bands such as longtime fans Pearl Jam, Anthrax and Living Colour.

aka everything wrong with the 90s :barf:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

fyodor posted:

aka everything wrong with the 90s :barf:

I always associated kings x with 90's lame alt/grunge bullshit and apparently wasn't wrong.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
oh wow cry of love i hadn't thought about them in probably 20 years

i don't think anyone not from nc has even heard of them

W424 posted:

I always associated kings x with 90's lame alt/grunge bullshit and apparently wasn't wrong.

well they were lame 80s hard rock before piggybacking onto the lame 90s alt thing

i always associated them with stuff like phil keaggy for some reason. i think it was all the jesusy undertones without being a full-on christian band, sorta like what creed pulled off later on down the road

Dr. Faustus posted:

i'm not ignoring it (that's what the guitar playing public did until korn got big lol), i'm just saying that's what happened. ibanez put out what at the time was basically a super expensive novelty instrument aimed at a very niche crowd right when that sort of thing was on the wane. unsurprisingly it didn't sell all that well and the product was discontinued shortly thereafter

then a couple years later people coming from a completely different mindset discovered them, and ibanez being the savvy company that it is figured money is money and eventually reissued them and later cheaper models, essentially creating the market for extended range instruments we have today. there's a reason nobody except you associates 7-string guitars with steve vai, irrespective of the fact he was the reason they came to market in the first place

it's like pantera's first four albums. yeah they exist and they're as much a product of their time as the albums the band was actually known for, but their fans are completely oblivious to their existence because in effect it's a moot point, regardless of their individual merits (or lack thereof depending on taste)

e: the one possible indirect link you can make from noodly 80s shredders to low-tuned cookie monster stuff is morbid angel, who had 7-string stuff on covenant which came out in 93. their guitarist was very much of the 80s shred mold, except he could actually write an okay song from time to time (maybe not now though). i wouldn't doubt he got the idea from hearing vai. but again that's a very niche thing and wouldn't in and of itself account for the instrument's later growth in popularity. if only kids in the 90s were scrambling to learn the main riff from where the slime live, maybe we wouldn't have had all those school shootings

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
of course this is all ignoring the bands who'd been tuning to b standard on regular six strings for years i.e. carcass, entombed, etc.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm gonna tune to B standard with a Little Thunder pickup, a boss harmonist ps-6 and a pog 2.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
like 4 octave of chords by playing a single note

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

muike posted:

i'm going to listen to morbid angel and emperor now

Good idea. Metal rools u pesents.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i have to be correct on the internet about guitars that make beep boop bop noises

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
once i actually listened to a king x song i kind of skipped past all the arguments itt, god that is terrible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah, I'm not sure how saying that a band is in Stone Temple Pilots' influence list is supposed to make me acknowledge them as rock visionaries.

If you told me Linkin Park's later work was influenced by Crazytown, I wouldn't like either of them better either.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

comes along bort posted:

of course this is all ignoring the bands who'd been tuning to b standard on regular six strings for years i.e. carcass, entombed, etc.

When i saw G3 back in 2006, Vai played THe Audience is Listening on his 6 string tuned down. I think they 7 stringers must be difficult to play even for someone like Vai who is concentrating on doing a good show.

Actually, most of the bands that adopted the 7 string don't really have good guitarists. There are a couple of exceptions of course.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

hey guys i just discovered this really cool band, what do you thinK???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPLSib2GtnU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ThePutty posted:

hey guys i just discovered this really cool band, what do you thinK???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPLSib2GtnU

lol i just looked it up this was released in 1994. MBV Loveless, Melvins Lysol and Houdini, SY's Goo and Daydream Nation, Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff, Pixies Surfer Rosa, Spacemen 3, Superchunk, the Wipers, Minutemen, Jesus Lizard, etc., etc.

All at or slightly before 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
i bought a king's X record once on a recommendation and holy poo poo that is one of the few albums i regret buying

• Locked thread