Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

that's racist! it's chinese :china:

And yeah, PWE is basically ignoring all of Cryptic's good game design (and yes they do actually have some) and shoving in a bunch of cash-extraction asian MMO bullshit. Who cares if the game will be dead in six months, this quarter's profit is way up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At least they have good in-universe reason to revert a bunch of poo poo once things come crashing down.

After all, the only one-off voyager race they haven't put front and center is the Krenim.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Who cares if the game will be dead in six months, this quarter's profit is way up!

Is it even? I'd love to see the stats on the game over the last six months or so. The population hemorrhage can't have been good for profits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

At least they have good in-universe reason to revert a bunch of poo poo once things come crashing down.

After all, the only one-off voyager race they haven't put front and center is the Krenim.

Ahahaha. 'The Krenim have fired the temporal inversion beam at the upgrade system!'

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Is it even? I'd love to see the stats on the game over the last six months or so. The population hemorrhage can't have been good for profits.
To be honest the game will probably linger on for a while. As long as there's dedicated whales dumping obscene cash into blatant money pits it will lumber along until the license expires in however many years. Whether it's playable in the interim or whether Cryptic will be allowed to fix it is another matter, since holy crap the population has dropped like a rock.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Yea, if comments on facebook posts are anything to go by there are still a lot of people that love love love everything about this game. They'll keep it going, same with all those profiles that get posted, what would a career erotic role player care about nerfs and grinds?

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 27, 2015

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Asimo posted:

To be honest the game will probably linger on for a while. As long as there's dedicated whales dumping obscene cash into blatant money pits it will lumber along until the license expires in however many years. Whether it's playable in the interim or whether Cryptic will be allowed to fix it is another matter, since holy crap the population has dropped like a rock.

Hopefully they'll get Star Wars Galaxied and a new game will spring up in it's place. Does anyone know how long the license with CBS lasts?

Also, does anyone know exactly what the Omega upgrade kits are yet?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Tunicate posted:

They're not front and center because they got a loading screen blurb. Vaadwuar wiped them out before we showed up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technical Analysis posted:

They're not front and center because they got a loading screen blurb. Vaadwuar wiped them out before we showed up.

Shhh they just... jumped forwards in time a year or two to ride out the invasion. :techno:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technical Analysis posted:

Sounds like a good incentive for the survivors to start loving with the timeline again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Sounds like a good incentive for the survivors to start loving with the timeline again.

That would actually make a good narrative which is why it will never happen..

Then again... lockboxes from alternative timelines? Hmm...

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I miss running 8 contra farmers simultaneously and selling the EC to the Chinese, it got me through that patch of unemployment for like 3 months.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
So my forums ban -- third one in two months -- has finally ended, and I logged on to see, exactly, I was banned for, as PWE/Cryptic only let's you see why you got moderated after your term of punishment has ended. I thought I was most likely banned for all the empty/obvious spam threads I created in the wake of Taco's meltdown over sigs, but apparently that wasn't the case.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21693641&postcount=1

quote:

I hope you've learned your lesson, the lesson that your colleagues have learned a long time ago: never communicate with the player base. While I think your sensitivity to the sigs has made you an easy target, what cracks me up most is that pretty soon these morons are going to make new threads whining about a "lack of communication" from the Devs!

I think it's high time that players recognize that the Dev team isn't listening to you, but I know someone who will listen:

The Dear Leader.

Yes, the guiding light of Starfleet Dental, the flickering flame in the dark cave of ignorance, can and will guide you all to the promised land of contentment and complacency. Allow him into your lives, as he has blessed his fleets - Nerds of Prey, Starfleet Dental, Shut up Wesley -- with wealth beyond all measure. Look to the 6 billion ec in giveaways, look to our successful breakup of the cartels charging players for T5 access; put your trust in the Dear Leader and you will be rewarded tenfold for your efforts.

Apparently this is considered "Trolling/Flaming," but they really took offense to the SFD plug in the post above all else. So We start with a quasi-defense of Tacofangs, and end with a list of the public services Wesley/NoP have done for the players, and I guess that warrants a two-week ban.

I'm pretty sure that this post soon after mine:

quote:

Exactly what a troll says when being called out. The dear troll leader of them all strikes again.

Legitimacy through organized trolling, that's the banner dental and its sub-fleets wave.

Didn't receive any punitive action, thought it's obviously a flame post.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
The moderating quality declines just as the game quality declines. No surprises there.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Free item today is the Motion Picture Outfit. You can find it under CStore -> Appearance.

Who doesn't want free disco pajamas?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
"Kobali starships are known for their exceptional ability to provide support to their allies in large scale starship combat."

lol

LOL

LOLLLLLLLL

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
STO is still unplayable during the only time of the day where I can find time to go online, proxy or no proxy.
And no, it ins't my connection. Everything else is fine and fast.

gently caress this poo poo.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I kinda drifted out of this game last summer. I thought about jumping back in but apparently everything is bij now?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty much. The core gameplay is still fun, but Cryptic PWE added a fuckload of cash sinks and buffed the difficulty and annoyance factor of queues so that nobody runs them anymore. And since that was the only thing to do in this dumb game besides mocking the ERPers... :shrug:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
New lockbox for anyone who hadn't already figured out that it was coming. I can see the lobi ship becoming popular just for it's trait:

quote:

Supremacy
Gain a small boost to all Subsystem Power any time you damage an enemy while under the effects of “Beam: Fire-at-Will” or “Cannon: Scatter Volley.” This boost stacks up to 20 times.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That trait does it, now to release a Borg ship lockbox and hit the big red button at Cryptic HQ to shut 'er down.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

g0del posted:

New lockbox for anyone who hadn't already figured out that it was coming. I can see the lobi ship becoming popular just for it's trait:

Getting that ship for the trait assuming it stacks with or is better than plasmonic leach.

Edit: Oh poo poo that APU cruiser looks dorky. Definitely gonna waste an upgrade token on it.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 27, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lagomorphic posted:

Getting that ship for the trait assuming it stacks with or is better than plasmonic leach.
Knowing cryptic, trying to use the trait and plasmonic leech at the same time will probably result in a net loss of power. A bug thread will be opened on the forums, one of the devs will post that they have been able to reproduce the bug and that they have a fix on their internal build, then close the thread. The fix will never make it to the live server.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

In an effort to downplay the severity of the war and improve morale among the general populace, a Kobali toymaker has developed several replica miniatures of the dreaded Heavy Battle Tanks seen used rarely by Vaadwaur troops. These Mini-Tank Vanity Pets can be purchased from the Lobi Crystal Store – each pack contains a random variety of the colorful replicas.

Reflecting on how Kobali "reproduce" and their cultural attitudes and enforcement on reconnecting to the previous life, things just got seriously dark with the whole Kobali toymaker profession being a thing.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Someone posted in the Starfleet Dental recruitment thread a few days ago, and it looks like Smirk promptly closed it for being a "necro" thread. I didn't think the necro policy applied to fleet recruitment threads, as they often wax and wane depending on recruitment drives, interest, etc. Also, he waited three days after the last post to close the thread.

quote:

Necro Thread Protocol activated.

Killing this Dental Zombie thread by smashing its brains in.

Pretty violent. Not becoming of a Community Manager. Banned for promoting Dental in General Discussion, Fleet thread closed, it looks like this game needs Dental now more than ever before. I'll have a new recruitment thread up in an hour.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=391281&page=12

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

I didn't think the necro policy applied to fleet recruitment threads, as they often wax and wane depending on recruitment drives, interest, etc.

Dug up an old as hell mod ruling on that.

Stormshade, 2011 posted:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=209281&page=9
We understand that the bumping of fleet threads is going to happen, and we turn a blind eye to this in that area of the forums. I would love to see some fleets come up with ways to bump their threads without having to use the word, "Bump" however. (Note: doing so will likely actually improve your recruitment numbers.)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I went to see the thread and stumbled across this sad little two act play:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=391281&goto=nextoldest

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, Smirk pretty clearly doesn't like Dental (probably rumbled one of his ERP parties) but that thread was pretty dead.

Much like STO as a whole :rimshot:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

DancingShade posted:

Eh, Smirk pretty clearly doesn't like Dental (probably rumbled one of his ERP parties) but that thread was pretty dead.

Much like STO as a whole :rimshot:

He's mad that Mondian put him in his place in his own official giveaway thread.

Anywho: Here's the new thread. I'm sure the mods would approve.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21935481&postcount=1

Countdown to Q's arrival/thread closure.

Edit: Tunicate -- that's brilliant, thanks. I've added it to the OP.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 28, 2015

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

DonDoodles posted:

Anywho: Here's the new thread. I'm sure the mods would approve.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21935481&postcount=1

Countdown to Q's arrival/thread closure.

Edit: Tunicate -- that's brilliant, thanks. I've added it to the OP.

I enjoy this new title and position. I truely look forward to re-educating the unwashed masses. Especially after the recent disappointment that Mysteena turned out to be.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Goat Pillager posted:

I enjoy this new title and position. I truely look forward to re-educating the unwashed masses. Especially after the recent disappointment that Mysteena turned out to be.

Don't blame yourself for Mysteena; he was clearly a broken player. Actually, he sent me an in-game mail last week or something ranting and raving about how we never REALLY controlled his friend; how we were lying to him the whole time. I'm glad he finally figured that out three months after we washed our hands of the guy.

Edit: I guess they updated the forum rules as well: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=128&a=151
Long enough that few people will read it; vague enough (especially under "trolling") that few players will successfully contest it. Sounds perfect.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 28, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DonDoodles posted:

Oh man I forgot about that. Smirk's give away was just shamefully pathetic :v:

^Oh man, those new forum rules explicitly ban "bumps". There goes 99% of all pubbie fleet recruitment threads.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 28, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Interesting. Apparently they haven't done any updates to PVP because they don't know how to make a PVP map.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I don't not believe it, but I'd suspect it has more to do with game balance so out the window right now that PVP just doesn't exist by this point.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

Interesting. Apparently they haven't done any updates to PVP because they don't know how to make a PVP map.

Hmm, the Star Wars galaxies comparisons are becoming a lot more apt. That was one of the drives behind the game killing NGE, aside from a desire to "me too" Warcraft, they had to start a lot of systems from scratch because no one that was left that knew how the systems worked.

I guess what I'm saying is expect all of your progress to be wiped for a grand start over in a year or two as this issue gets progressively worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's been the case for a long time, has it not? It took so long to tweak the Borg STFs because they haven't known how they work for years. Supposedly there's been a push behind the scenes to clean things up after they hit breaking point but it's very slow going.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Cryptic's been quietly redoing all the mechanics behind the scenes. Not just because a lot of the launch era stuff was horrible, but because it was rushed spaghetti code that was done by people who aren't even with the company. The kit revamp was a good example here since Cryptic had no idea how to add new captain powers until they completely redid the system, and you saw a bunch more being thrown in (from lockboxes, quests, etc.) almost immediately afterwards. I imagine the same thing is true with bridge officers; last I heard the code behind them was a complete clusterfuck on every level to the point that it was difficult to even tweak boff skills (see the perpetual problems FAW had for example), let alone add new ones or move them to different ranks, so the impending revamp was a long time coming there. Even if it won't be in this week's patch you can be sure there will be a lot of new boff skills, revamps to existing skills, and so on in the near future due to it. Traits were the same way too, and so on.

Still, there's a few systems that desperately need a redo. The exchange stands out as a mess of code but I'm hesitant of seeing changes there in fear that they pull a Neverwinter and make it use Dilithium instead. I'm still annoyed Cryptic didn't tear out the crapass skill system when they put in specializations though, it's always been a huge stumbling block and confusing newbie trap.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm hoping next time they redo the traits system they ditch skills and split space from ground.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Tunicate posted:

I'm hoping next time they redo the traits system they ditch skills and split space from ground.

Four traits for each.

Or perhaps you can pay zen to unlock more slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

Four traits for each.

Or perhaps you can pay zen to unlock more slots?

They admitted that they should've done that but have no plans to change it. The traits system is done, I wouldn't expect a revamp for years.

• Locked thread