Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

haha it's even stupider than I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Back when I was paying my way through community college as a security guard one of my coworkers got gut-shot by a meth addict while he was guarding a transformer station.

iirc he made $7.90/hour at the time

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Political Whores posted:

The big problem I had with that when I tried to sit through it is that the "human cost of war" theme feels pretty loving hollow when the war in question is one of an unprovoked invasion that has killed hundreds of thousands and totally devastated a country for probably multiple generations to come, led by the people the soldier is fighting for. Tons of war movies exist about the human cost it has on soldiers, and I've always had a a bit of a problem with them too, but something as fresh and as unilateral as the Iraq war being depicted as this horrible but necessary struggle sickens me. Honestly a guy who said himself he viewed the whole conflict through the lens of a crusade didn't have much humanity to lose anyway.

An invasion is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for a country to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the invaded than on the invader. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Minimum wage jobs, especially fast food services and graveyard shifts, have the potential to be pretty dangerous. My dad, for instance, worked at a Jack in the Box to pay for UCLA tuition (oh for those halcyon days once more) and he got held up at gunpoint more than once. Certainly not in the job description like it is for the army, at any rate. I would appreciate it if Bish showed some respect for the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for our sacred right to eat ourselves to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I don't even get the logic behind this one. Veterans have gotten injured during wars so you have no right to ever want a higher standard of living? How the hell are those two things even related?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

duz posted:

An invasion is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for a country to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the invaded than on the invader. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even get the logic behind this one. Veterans have gotten injured during wars so you have no right to ever want a higher standard of living? How the hell are those two things even related?

Well, you see, if we treat soldiers and veterans like poo poo and they're ostensibly the most respected social group in our society, then the logical conclusion is that we should treat everyone else even worse, rather than treating soldiers and veterans better.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

Soldiers make the same wage as fast food workers (when you conveniently forget to factor in the benefits they get) and have to deal with getting maimed/killed, but you don't see any news stories about them complaining. Hence, minimum wage workers have no right to complain since their lives aren't yet completely and utterly hosed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

$15 per hour is a ridiculous sum for menial labor to demand! Why, that's more than three times the minimum wage as far as I recall from my youth!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Troop Rules Errything Around Me

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014
I have a former friend who saw action in Afghanistan who now works fast food because he can't hold down any other type of job (I suspect because of untreated PTSD). He whole heartedly believes minimum wage is destroying this country and should be abolished. Except, that because he went to war and had to kill and saw buddies killed he should be paid the equivalent of what he made in the army in perpetuity regardless of his job.

As lovely as it seems, Bish cartoon is a reflection of reality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

iirc he made $7.90/hour at the time

So he was paying his way through college, eh?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has there been a poll of Republicans to find out how many of them know how loving toxic the combination of Christianity and hatred of immigrants/the poor is?

"Oh yeah? Well abortionists kill more people than Hitler!" and "Give us your address so you can care for them!" are the counterarguments.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm pretty sure lots of fast food workers have dodged bullets. And knives. And hammers. And fists. They get attacked at their job by thieves, you know. Same with other customer service people. I've had some spray pepper spray at me when I worked at a jewelry store, but he was running away so it didn't hit me.

Anyway, did you all see Michelle Obama not wear a head scarf in Saudi Arabia? I can't wait to see how this is going to turn out.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

you insufferable piece of poo poo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Get murdered.

Seriously, if some bizarre firestorm came to this world and purged the far right out of existence, I would spend all my money partying like the king of Jordan for a week.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

You irredeemable fuckwit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Not gonna let this one get buried.

"Oh by the way gold-digging sister-in-law liberal slut whore, you're not going to get any money out of my old man because he gave me literally everything he owns already. Why can't you just bootstrap yourself into having a wealthy family member who is willing to sacrifice everything for your right to continue to lay down lukewarm burns on Democrats? Also my wife, your sister, is gonna tattle on you because she is mentally still a child, but she's still more hireable than me but shut up about that."

This is in the funny pages.

"Man, I bet that journalists were really itching to be able to blame this recent real-life bloodshed on my personal heroes. Ha! Bet they're sad now."

This man is a cartoonist. His brothers-in-ink were gunned down by extremists. And he decided to go with the most flaccid burn I've ever read.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Man it sucks those people died, but you know who the real unjustly attacked victims are? American Conservatives "attacked" by the media. :fuckoff:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

"Why won't the A-bloo-bloo-blamestream media stop wanting to blame grassroots political movements for international terrorism?"

(Yes, I'm being generous with my words on more than one account.)

I am reaching schadenfreudic levels of needing to see some Swillmore toons about Freedom Fries.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

And people thought Rall had the worst possible Charlie Hebdo cartoon. SPOKE TOO SOON.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

So he was paying his way through college, eh?

He was in his 70s so not really no.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

He really likes that "Auggh! My back!" pose, doesn't he.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Abyssal Squid posted:

And people thought Rall had the worst possible Charlie Hebdo cartoon. SPOKE TOO SOON.

Political Cartoons 2015: If you want a really bad opinion, wait two weeks.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Amazingly, it's both two weeks late AND way too soon.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Somfin posted:

"Oh by the way gold-digging sister-in-law liberal slut whore, you're not going to get any money out of my old man because he gave me literally everything he owns already. Why can't you just bootstrap yourself into having a wealthy family member who is willing to sacrifice everything for your right to continue to lay down lukewarm burns on Democrats? Also my wife, your sister, is gonna tattle on you because she is mentally still a child, but she's still more hireable than me but shut up about that."

I read it as him coming up with a lie, because actually having the dad transfer all that poo poo to Zed in one go would be phenomenally stupid for a bunch of reas-

ah, right.

Either way, yeah, the irony's hilarious. Zed has met the enemy, and they is he!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Is Obama secretly an owl?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

eNeMeE posted:

Is Obama secretly an owl?

Yes.

(I forget who made that, speak up!)

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Get murdered.

Seriously, if some bizarre firestorm came to this world and purged the far right out of existence, I would spend all my money partying like the king of Jordan for a week.

Can we get a moratorium on sociopathchat in this thread?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Duckbag posted:

Can we get a moratorium on sociopathchat in this thread?

Nah, until the day cartoonists are actually getting murdered for their views I think it's acceptable hyperbole.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

WarpedNaba posted:

Get murdered.

I believe it's called the rapture :colbert:

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

The Time Dissolver posted:

Nah, until the day cartoonists are actually getting murdered for their views I think it's acceptable hyperbole.

Considering recent events in France you may want to rethink that statement.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The Time Dissolver posted:

:golfclap:

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

bitey posted:

Amazingly, it's both two weeks late AND way too soon.

I just realized.. that means if he was able to post instantly like most of the other cartoonists in this thread, this would have been the thing he posted the day after. The DAY after. This is what he judged would be a valid point to make right away. And yet he's supposed to be writing in the funnies.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

Considering recent events in France you may want to rethink that statement.

:thejoke:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't think we give Tinsley enough credit in the horrible shithead department. He's a very strong contender but we always seem to forget him until he does something utterly reprehensible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Acropolis posted:

That Breen comic pisses me off. I think I'll use this the next time some "Patriot" throws it at me for not being "Patriotic".

In reality I imagine teachers think the pledge of allegiance is stupid too, as I only got poo poo for not doing it from one of them during my time in school.

You could blank that extra box and make a pretty good caption contest.

"'Scuze me, ma'am - I didn't sign up to defend no right. My girlfriend got knocked up and gettin' hitched didn't sound so much fun as shootin' Mooslims".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jedit posted:

You could blank that extra box and make a pretty good caption contest.

"'Scuze me, ma'am - I didn't sign up to defend no right. My girlfriend got knocked up and gettin' hitched didn't sound so much fun as shootin' Mooslims".

" Mam, I enlisted under Clinton. Had no idea Bush was gonna start two wars and send me on seven deployments. I just wanted a way to pay for my college ..."

• Locked thread