Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
I'd go with "Don't U Anime, bro?!?"

Of course that might not fit into the style of your manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Wait, so the game takes three weeks to play and I spend 95% of my time standing in place and yelling?

But Arkham Horror already exists.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Don't get me wrong, I really am looking forward to seeing how your game works but I just am uh getting a few subtle hints that I am not the intended audience.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Sinewave posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really am looking forward to seeing how your game works but I just am uh getting a few subtle hints that I am not the intended audience.

Did you miss the part about the super anime robot!?!?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Played Firefly on Monday and it took 4 and a half hours and I didn't even achieve one of the objectives on the card. It didn't help that my friends didn't tell me to stock up heavily on all of the things before bothering to complete jobs.

The game is ok, I won't play it with 5 people again though because it drags on terribly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Broken Loose posted:

I actually address this in the manual by saying, "Haven't you ever watched anime before?"

No I have not.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Broken Loose posted:

The Attack cards are related to the difficulty slider. The game has 10 different difficulty settings that range from "anybody can win" to "Space Alert Double Actions Red with no equipment." The Enemy ID cards are largely static in difficulty, although some are harder or easier depending on your playstyle and communication skills (an old video playthrough shows a remarkably difficult Robeast who switches 2 icon types and completely ruins communication, but he's significantly harder than another Robeast whose Omega form is "you take 140 trillion damage").

I have no idea what's going on in this video, but hearing the chips clacking and seeing the play area evolve while playing has got me pretty excited to back this when it goes live. Are you going to have a tier that will include the playtest or PnP version to hold us over while you're taking care of the final stages of production?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The concept of shouting stupid Engrish attack names and stupid Engrish combination phrases is independent of the amount of people doing the shouting.

Spiggy posted:

I have no idea what's going on in this video, but hearing the chips clacking and seeing the play area evolve while playing has got me pretty excited to back this when it goes live. Are you going to have a tier that will include the playtest or PnP version to hold us over while you're taking care of the final stages of production?

A free to download PnP version of the game will be a social media share goal of the campaign. Tell your friends.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Please tell me your company name is King Phillip Games.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Broken Loose posted:

The concept of shouting stupid Engrish attack names and stupid Engrish combination phrases is independent of the amount of people doing the shouting.

Even as a non-anime watcher I can appreciate what you've made. It may not be precisely my cup of tea but I'd give it a go if it landed on my group's table.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Crackbone posted:

Please tell me your company name is King Phillip Games.

Man, I wish. I'm going by the unimaginative "Broken Loose" which is the same name I've used for art stuff for the last 15 years. I guess I still have time to split it into the King Philip design group under the Broken Loose company header.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Broken Loose I am very excited to back your game and make my non-anime-watching wife roll her eyes as she has to scream with the power of friendship and self-respect. Thanks in advance.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

This is fantastic and I definitely laughed out loud during more than one part. I'm sharing this with some of my regular gaming buddies because I think they'll be pretty psyched about it too. I'm sure at least one of us will be backing your campaign.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 28, 2015

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Slowly building up my board game collection and noticed that Istanbul is $30 at Amazon. Anybody recommend it? I heard it's a light worker placement game but not as good as Agricola or Caverna or Keyflower. Is it worth $30 or should I save up for any of the others?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Broken Loose posted:

Man, I wish. I'm going by the unimaginative "Broken Loose" which is the same name I've used for art stuff for the last 15 years. I guess I still have time to split it into the King Philip design group under the Broken Loose company header.

Good luck! A real time boargame about giant robot anime tropes sounds fun.

I'm sure my main group of lifeless jaded husks who are against anything and everything slightly different or new would be annoyed by more than one point of this design but it looks exciting to me.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Even as a non-anime watcher I can appreciate what you've made. It may not be precisely my cup of tea but I'd give it a go if it landed on my group's table.

Yeah, this. Good luck BL, I really hope it goes well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Teaching Risk: Legacy to four other people at board game night this evening, explaining how things work before we've even placed our units on the board.

"...and the cards I just handed out to you are called Scars. These are abilities that you use at specific points during the game, and in the case of the initial Scars that's during a battle. In the corner there it tells you when you can use them..."

One of the other people immediately tries peeling their Bunker off and sticking it on the board. Motherfucker, what did I just say?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Looks like something that'll go perfectly with my group, I'll keep an eye on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Loose posted:

It's worth repeating that Final Attack! will absolutely be guaranteed to be the best 1-3 player coop out there if it gets funded.

I look forward to hearing more about this one-player cooperative game.

On a serious note: between the anime theme and making people shout silly phrases, you appear to have designed a game with the express purpose of reinforcing every bad stereotype of gamers if it's ever played in public. I will not be backing your project.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

On a serious note: between the anime theme and making people shout silly phrases, you appear to have designed a game with the express purpose of reinforcing every bad stereotype of gamers if it's ever played in public.

Except it has nothing to do with Cthulhu, Firefly, exposed breasts, or illustrations by John Kovalic.

Also I would rather shout silly anime phrases than listen to someone try and convince me that no guys, really, a big black cock, get it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

Except it has nothing to do with Cthulhu, Firefly, exposed breasts, or illustrations by John Kovalic.

You've clearly never heard of stretch goals.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

You've clearly never heard of stretch goals.

Yes, I'm sure Board Game Thread poster Broken Loose is a big Firefly fan. Can't keep the sky from him!

No but on a serious note I think categorizing this game as "a game with the express purpose of reinforcing every bad stereotype of gamers if it's ever played in public" is ridiculous because 1). it really, really isn't even close to brushing on the worst stereotypes of gamers by a long shot, it takes more than "anime" to make that happen and 2). if the prospect of playing a mildly silly board game in public is distressing than maybe don't play it in public? I don't generally play board games in public even if they're extremely dignified Eurogames about moving wooden cubes around and pretending to be a subsistence farmer so maybe I just don't have the right frame of experience. Do you mean "public" as in "at the game store" or something? Because I guarantee you I've heard more embarrassing things being enthusiastically shouted at my LGS' board game night than a silly sentai final attack phrase, and those weren't even a part of the games being played.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ChikoDemono posted:

Slowly building up my board game collection and noticed that Istanbul is $30 at Amazon. Anybody recommend it? I heard it's a light worker placement game but not as good as Agricola or Caverna or Keyflower. Is it worth $30 or should I save up for any of the others?

Just played it tonight and had a lot of fun with it. I wouldn't classify it as worker placement though, as it's more about moving your central piece around with the restriction that you need to go back to where you started for optimal movement. It's fun, it's a neat race, and while there's not too much you can do to screw over other players, there is an element of that with the randomly moving bonuses that float around the board in addition to the dude you can place anywhere on the board.

I'd recommend watching a playthrough of the game first to see what I mean. It definitely won't scratch the same itch as Agricola or Caverna, but that hardly means it's a bad game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Opinions on merchants and marauders?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Istanbul is a Pickup and Deliver game, right? I swear people just call any board game with wooden pawns "Worker Placement" now.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bubble-T posted:

Istanbul is a Pickup and Deliver game, right? I swear people just call any board game with wooden pawns "Worker Placement" now.

It's not really a PU&D either actually. I think people refer to it as worker placement because that is literally what the movement mechanics entail (move your stack of workers one or two spaces, and then remove one from the stack and place it on the location to do that space's unique action). That doesn't quite fit into the genre's definition of what WP means in broader terms, but I understand where the relative misuse comes from in this case.

As for the game, I really enjoy it a lot. I've played 4 or 5 games of it now with the recommended "beginner" tile layout, and just when I thought I'd basically solved the best route to victory or at least a strong lead, a first timer whooped our asses doing something I never would have considered trying (for those who have played, he never expanded his wheelbarrow or visited the mosques, instead collected 3/5 his rubies from the Sultan, regularly visiting the Black Market for goods, and occasionally the Large Market to get money which he used to buy 2/5 of his rubies via the Gemstone Merchant by way of his Family member).

Long story short I think there's a good amount of strategy and obviously many paths to victory which I really like, and that's only having played with one possible board setup. Definitely recommend Istanbul.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bowmore posted:

It's adequate?

Don't buy games because of SUSD recommendations. You'll have a bad time.

Broken Loose - make sure you find good shipping partners for Australia - we're constantly getting shafted. These guys are a new start up http://www.bluetonguegames.com.au/

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Ask CGE how the gently caress they sent Dungeon Lords Anniversary all the way over here for $15 when everyone else charges your first born child. All I know is that it was a combination of DHL and Australia Post from Germany.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

And it arrived here before the US.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I know precisely the group of people who'd love to play Final Attack, so I reckon I'll go and back it (assuming you're allowing for international shipping - be careful, that tends to kill kickstarters if they haven't taken costs into account.)

Dibs on trying to figure out how to turn it into a PBP.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The End posted:

It's adequate?

Don't buy games because of SUSD recommendations. You'll have a bad time.
Cool man, thanks for the useless opinion

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bowmore posted:

Cool man, thanks for the useless opinion

Sorry, did you want some more synonyms? How about bland? Mediocre? Competent without being good?

It's the definition of a vanilla game. It's not broken, or 'bad' per se, but it is a poor choice for player count or game length given the time. It's not awful, but it's nothing special either. Being a pirate is rarely worth the risk, and not considerably different to being a trader.

It is the poster child for a 3/5 game, as well as being the archetypal Quinns from SUSD game: thematic but brain dead.

It is better than Firefly, so there's that I guess.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The End posted:

Sorry, did you want some more synonyms? How about bland? Mediocre? Competent without being good?

It's the definition of a vanilla game. It's not broken, or 'bad' per se, but it is a poor choice for player count or game length given the time. It's not awful, but it's nothing special either. Being a pirate is rarely worth the risk, and not considerably different to being a trader.

It is the poster child for a 3/5 game, as well as being the archetypal Quinns from SUSD game: thematic but brain dead.

It is better than Firefly, so there's that I guess.
Yeah this was more like what I was looking for, thanks.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Countblanc posted:

The thing I'm most excited for with BL's kickstarter is watching people come out of the woodwork and be like "wow this is great, but oh man do I hate cartoons from eastern countries"

Jedit posted:

On a serious note: between the anime theme and making people shout silly phrases, you appear to have designed a game with the express purpose of reinforcing every bad stereotype of gamers if it's ever played in public. I will not be backing your project.

Well that didn't take long.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the actual gameplay video pretty much sold me on that game BL. You have my axe my backing!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given my first reaction to a smikey face labeled WILL, I'm gonna have to houserule that resource is a bunch of engineers named William. They run around franticly keeping the lowest-bidder robot from falling apart mid-battle; you can get your drive key back, but only because one guy is dedicated to slapping duct tape on the resulting coolant leaks.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Broken Loose posted:

The Attack cards are related to the difficulty slider. The game has 10 different difficulty settings that range from "anybody can win" to "Space Alert Double Actions Red with no equipment." The Enemy ID cards are largely static in difficulty, although some are harder or easier depending on your playstyle and communication skills (an old video playthrough shows a remarkably difficult Robeast who switches 2 icon types and completely ruins communication, but he's significantly harder than another Robeast whose Omega form is "you take 140 trillion damage").

• Space Alert is a 4-5 player game with shoehorned 1-3 support. Final Attack! cleanly supports 1-5 players and emergently scales the difficulty of the game with no extra rules by simply making Combination requirements be per-player.
  • Final Attack! has very tactile elements that take advantage of being in a tabletop environment. Throwing chips around a table, occasional physical challenges (certain Robeasts require you to do things with your hands or body), and creative manipulation of communication abilities all make it an experience impossible to be done any other way. Space Alert, for all its strengths, could be done as a computer game and lose almost nothing.
  • The resolution rounds are shorter and more interactive than Space Alert's blackbox playback round.
  • You die DURING the mission, which a lot of people kind of hate doesn't happen in Space Alert.
  • Power Rangers/Voltron/Starvengers/Gaogaigar/Gurren Lagann/Combattler V/Gunbuster/Getter Robo is not a theme done very often in games, while "crew a spaceship" games are a dime a dozen.
  • Final Attack! is easier to teach and understand than Space Alert.
  • Setup time is much faster than Space Alert.
  • The icon system allows for a huge amount of freedom in how players interact with and support each other. The Arms need Balance to do a punch or you fall down, but the ways you get Balance are numerous and all thematically appropriate.
  • Final Attack! missions absolutely scale in difficulty and tension over time, and players scale steadily in power over the course of a mission, to match. Space Alert generally starts hard, gets harder in the middle, and then coasts while people assume they've already won or lost.
  • The KS backer level for the game will be cheaper than Space Alert.
  • The way the Systems are designed, everybody is given a clear idea of how they can contribute to the team, even beginners.
  • I could keep going if this isn't enough, but I'll stop here.

RE: Losing the mission by loving up the attack shout.
This is a thing that has been brought up by people. It is purely a hypothetical, as those people even realized that in the course of a mission it's one of the least of your worries. The lead-in for the shout has enough time for you to fully divert your attention to it. The shout has gotten more praise than hatred because my players love the concept of the game peaking at the end with a gigantic display of teamwork, hot-bloodedness, synchronicity, and precision, like when you all look out the window simultaneously at the end of Space Alert. It's a coop game, so I can't really stop your group if you're all funhaters who can't act anime for 3 seconds, but I assure you it's not even remotely as bad as your worst preconceptions of it.

As a sidenote, it is a rule in my house that anybody who wins any board game is required to throw their arms in the air and shout the name of the game like in 90's board game commercials. The joke is that Final Attack! self-enforces this rule.

You're a good salesman. I'll take a close look at your KS when it fires up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Broken Loose posted:

As a sidenote, it is a rule in my house that anybody who wins any board game is required to throw their arms in the air and shout the name of the game like in 90's board game commercials. The joke is that Final Attack! self-enforces this rule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

bowmore posted:

I think the game is amazing. It's in my top 5 games of all time. The board is, in my opinion, the most attractive board out there. But I am a sucker for the Caribbean and that amazing turquoise color sea. The components are great, cards lovely, model ships are awesome. When you get the hang of it, both Merchant and Pirate tracks are balanced (though ideally, you do a bit of both to do particularly well with your scores). Plays 2-4 players equally well. A really nice solo play variant that I enjoy occasionally.

I am in the minority in this thread though. A lot of goons dislike it. Cons are that turns take a little while, and games certainly take longer than the manual pretend they take. It's also very AmeriTrashy. Personally, I am a huge Euro Nerd, this is the only game I make a serious exception for. A lot of goons (wrongly, I assure you, we've played this a lot and over time both paths are competitive) also state that one or other path is clearly superior, and that colors their opinion.

It's not a game for everyone. It can become a bit boring during opponents' turns, you have nothing to do for a while, which is my biggest gripe.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

I raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8LPgv4NK0