Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

sticklefifer posted:

I found Fu Xi from a Youtube search's recommended videos, and I'm digging it. I'm actually kind of hearing a bit of Drudkh and Alcest in their sound (mixing the same folk/doom/black elements). I can't say I've heard much Chinese metal, and now I'm curious what else I've been missing (and what other countries not famous for metal have some kickass bands).

Tengger Cavalry - essential listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEv_aEwVvak

Chthonic is from Taiwan, but they're politicians now or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I saw Chthonic a while back and at the end of their set they demanded we support recognition of Taiwan at the UN or whatever. It was the only memorable part of their performance because Chthonic are actually pretty lame.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I found Fu Xi from a Youtube search's recommended videos, and I'm digging it. I'm actually kind of hearing a bit of Drudkh and Alcest in their sound (mixing the same folk/doom/black elements). I can't say I've heard much Chinese metal, and now I'm curious what else I've been missing (and what other countries not famous for metal have some kickass bands).

Wormrot come from Singapore and are one of the best grind bands around.
Persefone make solid prog death and are from Andorra.
Israel of course has Melechesh and Orphaned Land.
Ulcerate are great and the only band I can think of from New Zealand.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wormrot come from Singapore and are one of the best grind bands around.
Persefone make solid prog death and are from Andorra.
Israel of course has Melechesh and Orphaned Land.
Myrath from Tunisia is really loving excellent if you're into stuff like Orphaned Land and Symphony X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7eUQrIyPSY

Crackdust is pretty decent death metal from Botswana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEUdZz4RhU

Arsames is a lot better than I expected (simplistic writing but some neat Carcass-worship riffs) considering they're from loving Iran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGhNnwA6ZvA

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Myrath from Tunisia is pretty excellent if you're into stuff like Orphaned Land and Symphony X:

Crackdust is pretty decent death metal from Botswana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEUdZz4RhU

Arsames is a lot better than I expected (simplistic writing but some neat Carcass-worship riffs) considering they're from loving Iran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGhNnwA6ZvA

Doesn't Botswana have a weirdly vibrant death metal scene or something?
Also has anyone else ever read Heavy Metal Islam?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Doesn't Botswana have a weirdly vibrant death metal scene or something?
Also has anyone else ever read Heavy Metal Islam?
I wouldn't call it "vibrant" with Metallum listing less than a dozen bands, but next to South Africa it seems to be the busiest south of the Sahara.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

deadking posted:

I saw Chthonic a while back and at the end of their set they demanded we support recognition of Taiwan at the UN or whatever. It was the only memorable part of their performance because Chthonic are actually pretty lame.

their bass player is super god drat hot

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Augh, god damnit. Jess and the Ancient Ones are opening for Sólstafir relatively near to me in a couple weeks and I really wanna go, just to see JATAO, but the tickets are loving 24 euros which is really salty considering I don't give a flying gently caress about Sólstafir. I am so torn.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
New Zealand also has Beast Wars:

http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nordick posted:

Augh, god damnit. Jess and the Ancient Ones are opening for Sólstafir relatively near to me in a couple weeks and I really wanna go, just to see JATAO, but the tickets are loving 24 euros which is really salty considering I don't give a flying gently caress about Sólstafir. I am so torn.

If JATAO was headlining would you pay 24? Exactly. Now stop bitching and do it.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

deadking posted:

http://i.imgur.com/wEd3tPg.jpg

I'm the dude with the pantera shirt, this was shot by Taiwanees press and we where in the biggest Taiwanees newspaper with a similar picture as part of a reportage of their European tour last year :cool:

Actually got quite bored halfway their set but they put up a pretty cool show. The guy I was with is really into them.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

holy loving crap this new napalm death album is great

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DeusExMachinima posted:

If JATAO was headlining would you pay 24? Exactly. Now stop bitching and do it.

Well if they were headlining, they'd likely play a longer set. Still, you have a valid point.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

holy loving crap this new napalm death album is great
The new Venom isn't too shabby either

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Speaking of Metal bands with bizarre political beliefs, whats the band with the biggest gulf between how good the band is and how lovely their opinions about stuff are?

I was thinking Dissection, since Storms of the Light's Bane and The Somberlain are great albums but then he murdered a dude in the name of a satanic cult/group of black magic sorcerers.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Speaking of Metal bands with bizarre political beliefs, whats the band with the biggest gulf between how good the band is and how lovely their opinions about stuff are?

I was thinking Dissection, since Storms of the Light's Bane and The Somberlain are great albums but then he murdered a dude in the name of a satanic cult/group of black magic sorcerers.

The first one that comes to mind is/was Iced Earth, but then I re-read your post and noticed it said "good the band is". Megadeth may also be up there in "used to be a good band, but christ he's insane now.."

MoreMetalBrian fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 28, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arghoslent have written some of the best riffs I've heard in my life (and Hornets of the Pogrom is one of my favorite albums ever) but they're really goddamn racist (obviously). I wish more bands would write about the Civil War but apparently you have to either be either an uber-patriot like Schaffer or be pro-slavery to make metal songs about American history.

Unless you're Cormorant and you want to make a song that's consciously similar to Arghoslent but with the opposite message ("Blood on the Cornfields," which is a dope song).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Megadeth may also be up there in "used to be a good band, but christ he's insane now.."
I still have hopes for Mustaine to make a good album.

That is if Nick and Marty decide to come back, which would be fantastic.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Intolitarian is an amazingly heavy grind/noise band, but it's steeped in neo Nazi trash, as well as being connected to that newer label run by Antichrist Kramer that's also connected to Hell's Headbangers.

Speaking of Hell's Headbangers, they are putting on another Hell's Headbash in September and have added a ton of great black/death bands, but I definitely expect to see quite a few Nazis there, which sucks big time.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Nokturnal Mortum are definitely up there (being an Eastern European epic pagan/black metal band, that's not exactly a surprise). Their latest album Voice of Steel forgoes the openly antisemitic lyrics of some of their previous albums and is instead more in the vein of "Ukraine is beautiful" rather than "Ukraine sure would be a lot more beautiful without any Jews," but they aren't particularly progressive people. From Wikipedia: "In 2002, Varggoth started another project by the name of Aryan Terrorism, to add to his increasingly wide range of projects outside Nokturnal Mortum, and to spread his political beliefs in a more explicit way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9c0VXgDi7E

And absolutely seconding Arghoslent. Incorrigible Bigotry and Hornets of the Pogrom are two of the best melodic death metal albums ever. And by extension, Grand Belial's Key, an American NSBM band sharing members with Arghoslent. Also excellent, and you can tell it's the same guitarist because the riffs are solid as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqv1_JFSXNw

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Burzum, although he doesn't play metal now. He lives in France pretending to be a Viking while making videos on youtube akin to David Duke in order to bring down the Zionist War Machine I guess.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Turk February posted:

Intolitarian is an amazingly heavy grind/noise band, but it's steeped in neo Nazi trash, as well as being connected to that newer label run by Antichrist Kramer that's also connected to Hell's Headbangers.

Speaking of Hell's Headbangers, they are putting on another Hell's Headbash in September and have added a ton of great black/death bands, but I definitely expect to see quite a few Nazis there, which sucks big time.

Hells headbangers are nazi?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's really just insane hairsplitting, but Grand Belial's Key aren't actually NSBM.

They're anti-semitic as all hell though. Also a really good band although I liked them better when Cazz Grant was in the band. For a man that is ostensibly primarily a drummer he can write some amazing guitar riffs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Misogynist posted:

Myrath from Tunisia is really loving excellent if you're into stuff like Orphaned Land and Symphony X:

This is great! Most of the time when you hear metal (especially prog and power) bands throw in traditional instruments and play everything in a harmonic minor it sounds contrived and forced, but this is awesome.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

IronLawnmower posted:

Hells headbangers are nazi?

I don't think that they HHR are Nazis, but they act as a distributor for Deathangle Absolution Records, which is run by Antichrist Kramer, formerly of Satanic Skinhead Propaganda. I think DAR is trying to be less overt about the Nazi poo poo, but it certainly doesn't fall far from the tree. I understand that you can meet and associate with some lovely, nefarious characters when it comes to extreme music, so I don't necessarily blame HHR for doing business with him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The best record labels are invariably the ones that gets you put on government watchlists for ordering from them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

self quote from earlier in thread, our scene owns and has a lot of connections with the Australian scene, which also owns. Vassafor incidentally just got signed to Debemur Morti so maybe more people will actually listen to them(they rule).

A human heart posted:

anyway enough of this poo poo who wants to learn about cool NZ extreme metal bands? basically lots of people don't know anything about these guys but they rule. Some of them have been going for as long as a lot of european acts, but haven't recorded much until recently, which is probably why they're not well known. theres a lot of overlap between black, death and sometimes even doom metal here.

Sinistrous Diabolus are extremely sick death/doom from Christchurch(more like antichristchurch lmao). They put an ownage full length out last year which you should def. get if you're into grimy stuff like Disma, Incantation or whatever bands like that. Looks as though the dude has a new one in the works as well so keep an eye out for that.

Vassafor are somewhere in the black metal realm of things but they vary their sound a bit and have doom and death elements as well. they also have only 1 full length, but it's like 2 discs holy crap. They also own live, so if they happen to be touring(which doesn't happen much) go see them. I think the dude is working on a second album which is expected to be out next yearish, but not 100% sure on that. there's also a Vassafor/Sinistrous Diabolus split which came out this year and is a pro listen.

I'm not going to say much about Diocletian because you probably all know about them already but they're very good war metal. There's a few other bands around at the moment doing similar things, two worth mentioning are Heresiarch and Vesicant.

Skuldom are a black metal band who've been on hiatus for like 6 years, but they're playing a show on Saturday which is going to own. they don't have a guitarist, in studio one of the basses is tuned to sound like a guitar, and live they're apparently distorted bass noises. they also have one of the grossest music videos ever.

I'm also going to mention local black metal dudes Blood of the Moon because they're really good live(the frontman has a bucket of blood that he tosses at people in between acting scary).

I don't know many older no longer active bands but there is some cool poo poo in there. theres a documentary radio NZ did recently about the metal scene here which I haven't listened to yet but apparently it's good and they interview most of the major players, you can find it here: http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/south-of-heaven

These guys are also very good, especially live.

Turk February posted:

Intolitarian isn't just connected to his label, it's one of his personal projects.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dissection didn't get into the goofy anti-cosmic Satanism until after their second album, and the sheer lunacy of that movement took the better part of the decade after to be brewed up.

GBK was a great band with Cazz Grant, who was a great vocalist and drummer. He really seemed to embody and present the ideology of the band - being an over-the-top blasphemous parody - while not being interested in the sideshow. The later lineups stated that the band was simply anti-religious, but they always seemed distracted by trying to shoehorn their beliefs into their performance without outright making the songs about it - from the mediocre vocalist to rarely performing not under far-right political banners. The band just wasn't the same without Cazz, who has been loving killer with Crucifier. I'm most surprised to see that the favorites mentioned here are the third GBK album and the second/third Arghoslent albums - I think the opposites are the best, the first two GBK albums and Arghoslent's "Arsenal" and "Galloping."

This sounds like a loving Christmas carol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBimOAaZ8Y

Absurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWY9jTlUI2k

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

The dude he murdered was gay so it's unclear whether it was also a hate crime.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

imo the best Absurd is Facta Loquntuur just because of how badly played and odd it is. Like that sounds ok but it's not nearly as cool as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scfOGwbI8RE

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Did anybody see this mix that Fenriz posted a couple of weeks back,there's lots of cool obscure poo poo in it: https://soundcloud.com/heavytassen/cult-metal-for-all-of-you-darkthrone-fans-out-there

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Murder in the name of black magic sorcery is pretty much par for the course in black metal, right?

Megadeth probably the only band that I started to dislike after Dave went crazy about right wing politics and poo poo. The System Has Failed is like the last good album from the group.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Endgame was actually pretty good if you're like me and enjoy good old fashioned guitar wank.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
On the topic of terrible people making (somewhat) decent music, I'll crosspost this from the black metal thread. It's taken from a documentary on Finnish black metal called "Eternal Flame Of Gehenna". The dude is the only full-time member of Goatmoon and used to do vocals for Ride For Revenge.

Also, although not really a good band, here's a dude from Azazel:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Might have something to do with weird political believes: Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler arrested after bar fight

quote:

The Californian police department said an argument escalated into "a physical confrontation", resulting in an individual being struck and a window being broken.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-31039634

I, for one, am glad we're getting back to rockstars who hire hitmen and throw people through windows.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Peste Noire's earlier stuff definitely falls into this category for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ReMA9fLNE

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Just discovered Cemetery Rapist. It's so obviously absurd and over the top that I can't help but laugh when I merely glance at his song/album titles. The riffs themselves don't particularly bother me...everything else does.

He also sounds like a loving cricket or a frog or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIPWi-Gh8U - NWS (then again nothing about Cemetery Rapist IS SFW).

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I come from a small rural city in Australia and got to know the man behind Central Queenslands best know NSBM band, Arysk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWTxxOZ_q-k

He is a 6'5"body builder. I got to know him because he would come to my hardcore bands shows and chat to us. We hung out occasionally and then he said some off colour poo poo about some indigenous people and a friend asked me why I was hanging out with a nazi and showed me that clip.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Big Willy Style posted:

I come from a small rural city in Australia and got to know the man behind Central Queenslands best know NSBM band, Arysk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWTxxOZ_q-k

He is a 6'5"body builder. I got to know him because he would come to my hardcore bands shows and chat to us. We hung out occasionally and then he said some off colour poo poo about some indigenous people and a friend asked me why I was hanging out with a nazi and showed me that clip.

Ok I actually kinda dug that song. Any bands that sound like that but without being Nazis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Really just comes across as a gigantic Marlyn Manson style troll trolling for free advertising from outraged guardians.