Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Another video of BL's upcoming board game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBf87Gw5cYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tekopo posted:

Another video of BL's upcoming board game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBf87Gw5cYI

I hate this thread for the fact that it's turned me into the type of person who briefly considered making an effort post to explain what is wrong with this game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

I hate this thread for the fact that it's turned me into the type of person who briefly considered making an effort post to explain what is wrong with this game.
*bends down for the 15th time to pick up the ants from the floor*

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bosushi! posted:

Well me and my friends have fun with it so it can't be that bad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Broken Loose I am very excited to back your game and make my non-anime-watching wife roll her eyes as she has to scream with the power of friendship and self-respect. Thanks in advance.

This is another excellent facet of the game, one I hadn't considered.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tekopo posted:

*bends down for the 15th time to pick up the ants from the floor*

"No way, last time I sat here my stuff got hit with ants on over half the antsplosions."

*rolls d6's to randomly determine seating arrangement*

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

*fills basket with gummy bears*

*closes eyes, opens mouth*

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'd be too afraid for that to end up in my obituary.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

fozzy fosbourne posted:

*replaces with risk pieces

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Broken Loose, I've read more of your stuff and the game does sound better. It just wasn't coming across in that video to me. Anyway, yelling poo poo and being forced to say stupid phrases is super thematic and totally my jam.

Also don't understand why anyone would back or not back based on public play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also don't understand why anyone would back or not back based on public play.

Because they play most of their games in public places? It's exactly the same argument made against Lap Dance.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedit posted:

Because they play most of their games in public places? It's exactly the same argument made against Lap Dance.

Gentle Jedit, I disagree.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zombie #246 posted:

*replaces with risk pieces

There's being funny and pranky, and there's being an outright hideous person that needs to be locked up. You've crossed the line there, mister. :colbert:

I mean, god, man, at least use meeples or something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit, never change :allears:

Also, the biggest issue with public play is that public play IS LOUD AS gently caress and you won't hear the tape. It's the same reason why I hardly ever play Space Alert even though I like the game. The issue is not shouting silly phrases in public. Whenever I play Tash-Kalar with a friend of mine, whenever we think we made a move that won us the game, we announce 'Tash-KALAR!' in the same way one would say 'Check-MATE'. It's awesome.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

Soundtracked games don't work well in public due to ambient noises so if someone's playing it in public they're making a mistake anyway.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can't play this game while barrelling down the M25 with a rabid dog in the passenger seat, would not back.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Broken loose please do not perpetrate the geek stereotypes seen on nerd blackface show big bang theory

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I love that people can pretty much deal with any theme that isn't anime, but for some reason that one touches a nerve.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Goddamnit BL. I had money for once. Actual money. I was saving up for my wedding and everything. A pox on your house. A pox on your animes.

---

Bit of a late aside, but I'm kinda surprised at the shade being thrown at Blood Bowl, given that it's basically Ameritrash Campaign Mode Galaxy Trucker--a game of trying to make the best series of decisions under time pressure, in the hopes of best weathering an inevitable thunderclap of complete bullshit. It's the one Decent Game that managed to escape GW's soulless Profit Maximization Engine with a reasonable number of limbs attached (largely thanks to prolonged triage from the unpaid dev team working in GW's blind spot).

Like, I get that the game hinges on the dreaded +X-to-succeed dice rolls. But it's possibly the one game I can think of where that system makes your decisions more meaningful, rather than less, since the gameplay is built around choosing the right moments to risk a catastrophic failure. (Because all failures in Blood Bowl are some degree of catastrophic, since almost any botch gives the turn to your opponent.)

And unlike most "risk management games," you're not just repeatedly making a simple choice between low risk/low reward and high risk/high reward. Often, you're making qualitatively-distinct decisions. (E.g. you only have one reroll for the turn, and it's going to the first roll you botch. Is your first risk going to be the defensive move or the offensive move? How many people do you move onto defense before making your first roll, and how many do you leave available to capitalize on a success? Do you blitz the ball carrier in scoring position, or do you write off the point and focus on injuring players to improve the next drive?) And yes, a match can be decided on a string of hot dice. But BB is built to be a tournament-bracket game. The better player might not win a given match, but will finish higher in the league standings at the end of the season.

BB has some annoying flaws. The biggest one is that, for a league game of superiority-over-iteration, the iteration cycle is painfully long. It's easier to brush off an unfair mana-screw loss in, say, Magic, because that anomalous game took 5-15 minutes. A dicefest loss in Blood Bowl still takes 1-2 hours to play out, made worse because Blood Bowl's team development rules actively punish you for conceding a game.

(Also, the game can be a massive money sink if you purchase miniatures, because GW miniatures will never not be an embarrassing money trap. But you can skirt that by not buying GW miniatures. Like seriously, don't. None of that money goes to Jervis Johnson or the dev team, so you're not even supporting the creators. Do print and play standups, or third party minis or whatever.)

But I dunno, this game survived for decades with the support of, like, 0.01% of GW's horrifying marketing engine. The game survived--and evolved--entirely on the back of nerd devotion for like 20 years. And yeah, nerds are powered by unreasonable nostalgia, sure. But if GW nostalgia is all it takes, then why doesn't...I dunno, Gorkamorka have a living rulebook? Or a large surviving goon fanbase? There has to be something appealing in it beyond nostalgia or the GW Brand.

Then again, loving Talisman hasn't been cleansed by the fires of history, so maybe that argument holds no water.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm not familiar with Blood Bowl, so I found your writeup to be interesting. Especially the part about what kind of decisions can revolve around something like how do you handle your single reroll.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BB does also have some bad issues with faction design, but I agree that it's at least tolerable in digital form where you can play a match in a quarter of the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StashAugustine posted:

BB does also have some bad issues with faction design

Yeah, definitely this. The game falls apart when played in any kind of long-term league or tournament since some teams have tons of good ways to advance their players and others get diddly.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

I posted in the other thread, but this is extremely my poo poo, as well as extremely some of my friends' poo poo. Totally backing this day one, and I'll be doing double the minimum to get the game to make up for Jedit being a buzzkill

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Broken Loose posted:

A basic example of an Enemy ID you'd encounter:

The general guidelines are "Alpha is inconvenient," "Beta is really inconvenient," and "If we reach Omega we lose."

What happens when a player accidentally violates one of the speech rules?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

BB does also have some bad issues with faction design, but I agree that it's at least tolerable in digital form where you can play a match in a quarter of the time.

Okay, that's another potential issue with Blood Bowl: The factions are notably imbalanced. It's important to note that this is by design--several teams are "comedy options" that intentionally exacerbate the dice mechanics, and are meant to be taken as a form of handicapping for experienced players.

Unfortunately, the joke teams aren't very well signposted. There's a line of small print text at the beginning of the team roster section, saying that certain teams are meant for experienced players only. But:
  • The callout is easy to miss.
  • The callout doesn't say why new players should avoid these teams.
  • The callout doesn't differentiate between challenging but powerful teams (Dark Elves, Chaos) and complete joke teams (Vampires, Halflings).
So a new player can easily stumble into one of these teams, invest in the miniatures, and get stuck with negative play experience after negative play experience until they quit.

Additionally, even within a given "tier," teams are meant to be balanced across their whole careers, not for specific team values. For instance, a fresh Dwarf team has an advantage against almost every other fresh team, but gradually loses steam as the opposing teams gain crucial skills. Conversely, a Chaos team is basically a weak Orc team until mid-career, where their superior development options start to snowball. Over the course of a league, the imbalance evens out between early-career, mid-career, and late-career teams. But if a new player starts with a late-career team, they might not stick with the game long enough to survive the rough early career.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gort posted:

Yeah, definitely this. The game falls apart when played in any kind of long-term league or tournament since some teams have tons of good ways to advance their players and others get diddly.
Thankfully, most of the teams that have this happen are balanced by having a very strong early-season game. As a specific example, playing Norse or Amazon is basically saying "I want all my players on the fast track to getting Blodge, and don't really care that everyone's gonna have that by mid-season there's not much upward momentum for them after that".

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay, that's another potential issue with Blood Bowl: The factions are notably imbalanced. It's important to note that this is by design--several teams are "comedy options" that intentionally exacerbate the dice mechanics, and are meant to be taken as a form of handicapping for experienced players.

Unfortunately, the joke teams aren't very well signposted. There's a line of small print text at the beginning of the team roster section, saying that certain teams are meant for experienced players only. But:
  • The callout is easy to miss.
  • The callout doesn't say why new players should avoid these teams.
  • The callout doesn't differentiate between challenging but powerful teams (Dark Elves, Chaos) and complete joke teams (Vampires, Halflings).
So a new player can easily stumble into one of these teams, invest in the miniatures, and get stuck with negative play experience after negative play experience until they quit.

Additionally, even within a given "tier," teams are meant to be balanced across their whole careers, not for specific team values. For instance, a fresh Dwarf team has an advantage against almost every other fresh team, but gradually loses steam as the opposing teams gain crucial skills. Conversely, a Chaos team is basically a weak Orc team until mid-career, where their superior development options start to snowball. Over the course of a league, the imbalance evens out between early-career, mid-career, and late-career teams. But if a new player starts with a late-career team, they might not stick with the game long enough to survive the rough early career.
These are all very good points. It kind of creates a strange environment where Blood Bowl is one of the worst games to try and jump into cold, but is much easier when you've got other players who can introduce you, explain things like "Don't take an Ogre on your first Human team, you goober", and keep you on your feet while you learn the ropes.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 28, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.
Well....poo poo.......guess I didn't need money anyway.

Definitely interested, I have a few friends I am pretty sure I can rope into playing this. Couple of questions for ya though:

1) What is the expected price point of the game?

2) Assuming your Kickstarter meets its goal, what timeframe could we expect the game to be distributed (within reason, I know you aren't clairvoyant)

3) Most of my playgroup is into competitive Euros with theme being an almost irrelevant afterthought, like your avatar's game, Caylus, what, if anything about Final Attack will appeal to them?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gort posted:

"Long term" is a bit of a weird idea in blood bowl. Ideally, you'd want to reset to fresh teams every 2-3 "seasons" in a given league, depending on the size of the player pool and the duration of the season.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are primarily experiencing Blood Bowl through the "perpetual" leagues of the Chaos Edition video game. And the team balance does break down in any sort of perpetual play environment.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I still have my dwarf BB team. Everyone called me a dick (jokingly) for getting one, but it was fun to use. Preferred my Lizardmen team because at least it doesn't just have one strat for everything.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MildManeredManikin posted:

Man I love that people can pretty much deal with any theme that isn't anime, but for some reason that one touches a nerve.

At my game store it's pretty disgusting to see the teens play their CCGs with anime children in bikinis. From my experience it gravitates to the hyper sexualized pre/during pubescent look. Which, surprise, is what I saw a lot of in Akihabara a few months ago. Some of the card sleeves I saw over there were really terrible, and there were walls of them. That kind of stuff really gets people to not like anime, especially in games.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

bobvonunheil posted:

barrelling down the M25

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sonatinas posted:

At my game store it's pretty disgusting to see the teens play their CCGs with anime children in bikinis. From my experience it gravitates to the hyper sexualized pre/during pubescent look. Which, surprise, is what I saw a lot of in Akihabara a few months ago. Some of the card sleeves I saw over there were really terrible, and there were walls of them.

To be fari this all looks like "giant impractical robots defeat monsters with friendship" anime and not "masturbating to high schoolers" anime

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

sonatinas posted:

At my game store it's pretty disgusting to see the teens play their CCGs with anime children in bikinis. From my experience it gravitates to the hyper sexualized pre/during pubescent look. Which, surprise, is what I saw a lot of in Akihabara a few months ago. Some of the card sleeves I saw over there were really terrible, and there were walls of them.

As someone who doesn't watch anime, nowadays it seems like the general image of anime is pretty gross. However BL's game very clearly targets the weekday afternoon Toonami generation that a lot of us grew up with.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

StashAugustine posted:

To be fari this all looks like "giant impractical robots defeat monsters with friendship" anime and not "masturbating to high schoolers" anime

Yeah. It was more of the response to the post and why some people aren't into anime themes because of certain associations. Probably should have made that clearer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The "name of a region + setting from 200 years ago" trope is boring as hell, though. At least try something slightly different like Sushi Go, Bohnanza, Suburbia, Tokaido, Tokenako, etc..

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Heh, yeah I realized that after i wrote it and was hoping no one would notice. :ssh: It does feel like slightly more effort than the more common medieval european region trope, but yeah, it's pretty much exactly what I was complaining about, just Japan.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sonatinas posted:

At my game store it's pretty disgusting to see the teens play their CCGs with anime children in bikinis. From my experience it gravitates to the hyper sexualized pre/during pubescent look. Which, surprise, is what I saw a lot of in Akihabara a few months ago. Some of the card sleeves I saw over there were really terrible, and there were walls of them. That kind of stuff really gets people to not like anime, especially in games.

Oh yeah I understand why some anime stuff is Bad, but it seems fairly easy to distinguish what is and isn't.

Like, people complained about Tragedy Looper being too anime and oversexualized and as far as I can tell it wasn't at all.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

bowmore posted:

Opinions on merchants and marauders?

I prefer games with a high level of player choice and have a high tolerance for Ameritrash: I like Merchants and Marauders a lot.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you have a group of players who are willing to give it a chance over repeated plays. The first time you play the merchant sailing from port to port collecting sets of in-demand cargo will probably win. It will take aggressive marauders willing to engage in some risky PvP to prevent the easy win by the merchants.

It will probably take about an hour / player if everyone knows the rules and is willing to plan ahead, longer if players need to ask about their options every time they get to port.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MildManeredManikin posted:

Oh yeah I understand why some anime stuff is Bad, but it seems fairly easy to distinguish what is and isn't.

Like, people complained about Tragedy Looper being too anime and oversexualized and as far as I can tell it wasn't at all.

Yeah I think the most scantily clad female character is the Alien, and she's wearing shorts and and a sleeveless white shirt, nothing horribly revealing or demeaning. But I know plenty of people who won't even try Tragedy Looper because of the artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh come on. I love Ameritrash and I'm not afraid to say that Blood Bowl is garbage with a great theme.

Blood Bowl has teams that have literally one strategy to win and are able to execute it despite the opponent knowing that it's coming and doing everything in his/her power to prevent it. Junk.

It also has an asymmetrical style of teams - bruisers and finesse. Unfortunately the leaguing system punishes finesse teams for multiple league games - sometimes for entire seasons - for getting bad rolls via a harsh, punitive injury system. Finesse teams can literally play people who have no real interest in winning and simply build out teams to bully their opponents first and maybe score a bit after they've smashed their opponents into dust, and this works *incredibly* well on finesse teams - it not only gets them the win, it can long-term destroy the finesse team. Enjoy a playoff season where the bruiser teams are mostly healthy and ready for action (depending on their schedule), and the finesse teams are a bag of broken bones and skin held together by team rerolls and a charitable Apothecary.

It also has two skills that are vastly, incredibly better than any other skills and everyone makes a beeline for them on their power positions. There's literally no real choice other than "pick these two insane great skills, start working on something else."

Of course you can avoid some of these things. Don't play finesse teams until you're very experienced. Don't accidentally pick a difficult or weak team. Play high Team Values where claw and mighty blow start felling those bruiser teams consistently. These are valid points. There's a decent game waiting for the experienced Blood Bowl players...after dozens of hours of league play and investment.

The game fails at strategy. It fails at campaign play. It fails at making interesting upgrade decisions for positional players. It's fine for a one-off game but please don't play league Blood Bowl.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 28, 2015