Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SB35 posted:

Friend says I should pick up an FJR1300 because he loves his, but I'm unsure, it seems a bit big and not so sporty-fun.

Will your friend let you ride his bike to see what you think? Looks can be pretty deceiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

slidebite posted:

Will your friend let you ride his bike to see what you think? Looks can be pretty deceiving.
Yeah the FJR is just a busa with bags. I'm not a big fan. Doesn't feel sporty. So you're looking for something sport-touring or ADV? Multistrada like someone said. Or Ducati ST, those can be had for pretty cheap.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Masochist answer: Ulysses.
Masochist + death wish answer: S3T.

I'd trade my Uly for a S3T; they take a Baker 6-speed without splitting and modifying cases. I've had the Uly for 3 years and I keep looking for 6th gear...

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 6, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SB35 posted:

Goons, help point me in the right direction. I'm in the bay area, looking for a new ride.

Previously had a Yamaha FZR600 which I liked, but sold to move here. Now I'd like something with some side bags so I can go camping. Nothing major, just a weekend deal perhaps. Not a lot of off road, maybe a few mountain gravel roads and such on occasion will be used more often on the highway and twisty mountain cruises.

Friend says I should pick up an FJR1300 because he loves his, but I'm unsure, it seems a bit big and not so sporty-fun. Was looking at a V-Strom or Versys, but those may be a bit too off-roadish. Recently a Triumph Tiger 800 caught my eye (see pic).

Any suggestions on other bikes I should be looking at or recommendations? Would the Tiger 800 be a mistake?

edit: also should point out I'm looking at something around $5-6k

Real answer: FZ6.

Comedy option: Duke 690, lightly used.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Thanks for some answers goons. Taking a look at Multistradas and FZ6s now, my father has a Buell S2 so I think I'll pass on the S3T & Uly. No one mentioned the Tiger one way or the other, I'll take that as a meh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SB35 posted:

Thanks for some answers goons. Taking a look at Multistradas and FZ6s now, my father has a Buell S2 so I think I'll pass on the S3T & Uly. No one mentioned the Tiger one way or the other, I'll take that as a meh.

The tiger is a big heavy bike that is almost exactly like a big BMW but with slightly less BMWiness and slightly more Trumpyness (measured via cylinder count and headlight symmetry coefficient).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Versys absolutely isn't off-roadish - it's more of a tall sport bike. Great suspension, light, 17" front wheel. I keep an eye on them used around here and there isn't much to buy right now.

Also, that Tiger's just up the hill from my house.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Coworker of mine is looking at this

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/4833763957.html

Despite my best suggestion of telling him to walk away since it doesn't run and needs parts, he is still interested. Of course, the Craigslist ad doesn't say what year this bike is. Best guess I'm saying mid-late 80's, basing the gauges off of what I see and comparing them to GIS'd pictures of 1980s Honda 650s. Just wondering if anyone here had a better idea than my decade wide guess.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Even if that was running and all together, those Nighthawk 650s are not very good bikes. Looking at the ad, I'd guess it's probably going to need like $1000 worth of stuff to unfuck it. And then it will still be a Nighthawk 650. Might as well budget the $1500 for something running from less than 30 years ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

americanzero4128 posted:

Coworker of mine is looking at this

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/4833763957.html

Despite my best suggestion of telling him to walk away since it doesn't run and needs parts, he is still interested. Of course, the Craigslist ad doesn't say what year this bike is. Best guess I'm saying mid-late 80's, basing the gauges off of what I see and comparing them to GIS'd pictures of 1980s Honda 650s. Just wondering if anyone here had a better idea than my decade wide guess.

That is a horrible loving bike. he's better off going back in time and getting an SOHC cb750 than dealing with that thing.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Even if that was running and all together, those Nighthawk 650s are not very good bikes. Looking at the ad, I'd guess it's probably going to need like $1000 worth of stuff to unfuck it. And then it will still be a Nighthawk 650. Might as well budget the $1500 for something running from less than 30 years ago.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is a horrible loving bike. he's better off going back in time and getting an SOHC cb750 than dealing with that thing.

I agree, but I can only offer suggestions. I don't control his wallet.

He's getting married so doesn't want to spend over $1k on a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
He's not married yet? Might as well budget realistically while he still can.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

This. People think I'm an idiot for having so many bikes now.
But I know for a fact that once I put a ring on it, I will never again have a chance to say that I own 20 motorcycles. Running or otherwise.
Where does he live? Maybe he can have one of mine.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This. People think I'm an idiot for having so many bikes now.
But I know for a fact that once I put a ring on it, I will never again have a chance to say that I own 20 motorcycles. Running or otherwise.
Where does he live? Maybe he can have one of mine.

Chicagoland, how far is that from you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

americanzero4128 posted:

Chicagoland, how far is that from you?

'bout 13 hours
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ric...82!2d41.8781136

if he buys a plane ticket, he can ride one back.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

What Daffy wants:

What Daffy gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTrQOl2D6zQ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Excellent.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MARVelous

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Whip out your preferred payment methods, the Bonham's Moto auction in Vegas is underway. If you think this is strictly for millionaires, think again--I was scrolling through the lots last night, and some of them looked downright craigslisty. Of course, this doesn't apply to the celeb bikes, with the exception of Dennis Hopper's, which have a pretty reasonable projected range.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As mentioned before in this thread I'm looking to buy a vstrom 650 as my first bike. I've made a testdrive on a 2007 model and while it ran perfectly well it did raise some alarm bells. The tank was painted over and it had (minor scratches one the complete right side. From top case to fairing, like it fell over. There was no maintenance history with and it was a few hundred bucks over what I wanted to spend on it.

Now I've seen another one which has all the acessories I'd like (vario screen, top case, heated grips, handguards) the only 'downside' is that it's run over 34k miles. Is this milage acceptable for a vstrom or should I look for something with less miles on it? Most stroms around here have a milage between 6-15k.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

34k is completely fine if the bike was well taken care of.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Check the inside of the tank as best you can for rust. When I bought my GS 500, the tank that was on it was almost completely rusted out. And finish rusting out right after I bought it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What is it with Suzuki having such rust prone fuel tanks? My Bandit 400 tank was pretty much paint over Swiss cheese. The absolute best replacement tank I could find was "only" rusted out on the bottom.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Bugdrvr posted:

What is it with Suzuki having such rust prone fuel tanks? My Bandit 400 tank was pretty much paint over Swiss cheese. The absolute best replacement tank I could find was "only" rusted out on the bottom.

Suzuki cheaps out on a lot of materials. Look at the headers of most GS500's for instance, they look like asscheese. At least on their cheap headers, it doesn't affect material structural quality like it does for gastanks.

I had to replace the gastank on my GS500 right after I got it because fuel was leaking out due to it being so effing rusted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suzuki are like the Toyota of the bike world. The mechanical bits go forever, the rest of the vehicle looks like a pile of poo poo after 5 years and like a communist-built disaster when it's over a decade old. The quality of materials and finish is just really poor compared to the other japanese brands, but they make up for it by being utterly unburstable.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Suzuki are like the Toyota Nissan of the bike world. The mechanical bits go forever, the rest of the vehicle looks like a pile of poo poo after 5 years and like a communist-built disaster when it's over a decade old. The quality of materials and finish is just really poor compared to the other japanese brands, but they make up for it by being utterly unburstable.

FTFY

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks for the advice goons. I will be the owner of a 2007 v-strom next week.

The bike look and rides awesome, th dealer made me a pretty sweet deal and I can pick her up somewhere next week. Can't wait to drive her.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Can confirm. Staring out at a Murano as I write this and the rate at which trim falls off that thing has only been accelerating. It's like perpetual motion of disappointment.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Suzuki are like the Toyota of the bike world. The mechanical bits go forever, the rest of the vehicle looks like a pile of poo poo after 5 years and like a communist-built disaster when it's over a decade old. The quality of materials and finish is just really poor compared to the other japanese brands, but they make up for it by being utterly unburstable.

Yeah, my 07 SV650 is in great mechanical shape, but the plastics look 20 years old. I should probably just pull them off and repaint them. Even a crappy rattle can paint job would look better than the sad faded red. It's made worse by the fact that the paint on the tank looks great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Can confirm. Staring out at a Murano as I write this and the rate at which trim falls off that thing has only been accelerating. It's like perpetual motion of disappointment.

Yeah. My wife has a Juke. Her quarter-million-mile Celica held together better and behaved more consistently.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Going to look at this on Saturday.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4844469669.html

Supposedly never down, records, nice shape. It has an M4 slip on which I have no idea about. Hoping I can get the stock exhaust too.

You think $3,500 is good offer?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Bugdrvr posted:

Going to look at this on Saturday.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4844469669.html

Supposedly never down, records, nice shape. It has an M4 slip on which I have no idea about. Hoping I can get the stock exhaust too.

You think $3,500 is good offer?

3500 is probably a good settling point, but offer 3000 and meet int he middle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I'm looking looking at affordable, likeable bikes for sale in the frozen North and it's pretty depressing really. With a budget of roughly 6k CAD, I'm looking at Kawi Versys. They look like my kind of bike, my previous bikes have been a Multistrada 1k and a Aprilia Pegaso Strada. A couple of people have rated them on here too. I know, ride it first, but those of you with experience, how would you say it compares to my previous bikes? Prices seem pretty steady between the '06-'09 and the '10+, any reason not to go for the newer one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'll be terribly, terribly disappointed with a versys after having a multi and a pegaso. You'll be pleased with how far it goes before bursting into flames, though!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

So I'm looking looking at affordable, likeable bikes for sale in the frozen North and it's pretty depressing really. With a budget of roughly 6k CAD, I'm looking at Kawi Versys. They look like my kind of bike, my previous bikes have been a Multistrada 1k and a Aprilia Pegaso Strada. A couple of people have rated them on here too. I know, ride it first, but those of you with experience, how would you say it compares to my previous bikes? Prices seem pretty steady between the '06-'09 and the '10+, any reason not to go for the newer one?

Slavvy sums it up well, although I really liked how the versys handled and rode. It's more street oriented than either of those, but it's a really good bike on it's own merits.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You guys aren't filling me with confidence. I'm in no rush, so hopefully a Shiver or Dosoduro or something comes on the market for cheap because nobody knows what it is.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
As a cheap, reliable mainly-city commuter bike with every-weekend winding country road (80kph limit) trips to the cottage, is a Honda CBR500R/CB500F worth twice the insurance cost per month (:canada:) than a Ninja 300?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I would say no, unless you plan on holding onto the bike for a while. 1 or 2 years? Ninja is cool.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Twice being 10 compared to 20 or 100 compared to 200? Either way, go with the ninja 300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

EX250 Type R posted:

Twice being 10 compared to 20 or 100 compared to 200? Either way, go with the ninja 300

$42/mo for Ninja 300, $83/mo for CBR500R or CB500F.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's been years since I rode anything remotely sporty.