Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
lmao it took them an entire year to release a new stable update. good job i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Genuinely pumped for this, having not played Starbound (and none of the nightlies) since around March or April.

I mean, I'm so pumped, I've resubscribed to this thread. Does everyone still actually hate the game, or is it ironic? It's hard to tell.

Sarcastic and non-sarcastic replies are welcome, tia.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

They added a keybind GUI but didn't include this one actually important thing. You can configure it somehow if you go through text files though.

Wait do you actually start with those techs? I didn't even notice, that would help allay some of my concerns about the very start of the game being too slow.

You have to get to the outpost, but that happens in the first 30 minutes, so yeah.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Genuinely pumped for this, having not played Starbound (and none of the nightlies) since around March or April.

I mean, I'm so pumped, I've resubscribed to this thread. Does everyone still actually hate the game, or is it ironic? It's hard to tell.

Sarcastic and non-sarcastic replies are welcome, tia.

People who have played it are enjoying it, people who haven't are suspicious as gently caress. Because one of the cool things to do in this thread was lie about features.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh cool, the update is actually later today? I haven't played since the very first wipe so I could wait for the 1.0 update.

This is the 1.0, right? Or is it just stable?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

THE loving MOON posted:

Oh cool, the update is actually later today? I haven't played since the very first wipe so I could wait for the 1.0 update.

Just a stable, 1.0 is still a ways off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE loving MOON posted:

They need to still do the economic thing, and the apartment thing.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
poo poo, that's close enough. Gonna give this another go later.

There aren't any more wipes are there? A friend of mine kept playing for a little while after what was supposedly the last wipe and ended up getting hit by one anyway. :ohdear:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There has most definitely been a wipe.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not even sure which one applies to me anymore.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

XboxPants posted:

They added a keybind GUI but didn't include this one actually important thing. You can configure it somehow if you go through text files though.

Wait do you actually start with those techs? I didn't even notice, that would help allay some of my concerns about the very start of the game being too slow.

Yeah you find tech chips out in the wild or as mission rewards and use them to unlock your tech with the AI. The bounce bubble is pretty cool.

There's also suit upgrades that let you survive in more extreme environments like underwater, hot or cold planets and stuff like that which seems to be the new way better ore is gated.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Installed game and there is no Novakids or anything. I demand a refund!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
After the unstable patch yesterday I rolled a new character and my starting planet had an Apex lab with 3 tech cards in it. :smug:

I just wiped to move to stable and find the update isn't live yet. :smith:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fermented Tinal posted:

After the unstable patch yesterday I rolled a new character and my starting planet had an Apex lab with 3 tech cards in it. :smug:

I just wiped to move to stable. :smith:

Just give yourself the tech cards.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Installed game and there is no Novakids or anything. I demand a refund!

We were playing on the unstable. It's going to stable sometime today.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Turtlicious posted:

Just give yourself the tech cards.

I'm going to wait until the patch hits and just reroll.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I really hope everyone doesn't 100% flip their opinion about a bad game bc the things we could already play in unstable are now in stable lmao

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just wiped to move to stable and find the update isn't live yet. :smith:

Apparently if you move unstable saves over they'll work. Unstable has its own separate folder.

This is like third hand info though so idk

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

I really hope everyone doesn't 100% flip their opinion about a bad game bc the things we could already play in unstable are now in stable lmao

I do :devil::dong::fork::france::foxnews:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This game is bad

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

IronicDongz posted:

You haven't tried this new magic patch.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

They only just updated the unstable with this stuff, unless you mean the nightlies, I never played those because they were just too raw for me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

They only just updated the unstable with this stuff, unless you mean the nightlies, I never played those because they were just too raw for me.

The nightlies didn't have this stuff either until like yesterday.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
They been holdin back the good stuff. Roll that beautiful dev footage

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Bob NewSCART posted:

This game is bad

Cool! Good to know you still hate this game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm going to spend 10bux I probably shouldn't spend on this game tonight, I swear. :negative:

I was staunchly not giving a poo poo but then I saw that wiring screenshot and was reminded of Gunpoint. Also a lot of those new systems/revamps look real neat.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005
It would be cool if this game were finally good. My kids have played Terraria constantly for years but got bored with this game after only a few hours. I did too. I was really trying to find where the fun was after dropping a bunch of money on many copies of the game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrPants posted:

It would be cool if this game were finally good. My kids have played Terraria constantly for years but got bored with this game after only a few hours. I did too. I was really trying to find where the fun was after dropping a bunch of money on many copies of the game.

There are already mod packs, I think you and your kids should re-try it. Make sure you add the illuminated ore mod, since I feel like that helps a lot with the early game grind.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/s3r1ous-mods.1358/

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Starbound is loving good! !!!'!!####/#

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

People who have played it are enjoying it, people who haven't are suspicious as gently caress. Because one of the cool things to do in this thread was lie about features.

The unstable was pretty bad, not holding out a great deal of hope for the stable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Please don't drop money until the stable's been out for a while and you have more feedback on its actual quality.

Slime posted:

I'm torn. Part of me wants Starbound to become good to justify the money I spent. Another part of me wants it to suck because it'd be funny.

I want the game to be good, the only reason I stuck around is because of the potential and I'll gladly give up the endless mockery for a game that's actually fun but I definitely can't say with confidence that's even close to happening yet. Wait for the patch and see what happens.

Incidentally there was talk some pages back of giving the MM the ability to locate ore unmodded at some point. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, was that a real thing or just more bullshit "haha tricked you into thinking something fun would be in the game"?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, was that a real thing or just more bullshit "haha tricked you into thinking something fun would be in the game"?

There is literally no difference

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Incidentally there was talk some pages back of giving the MM the ability to locate ore unmodded at some point. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, was that a real thing or just more bullshit "haha tricked you into thinking something fun would be in the game"?

That was a mod

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

The unstable was pretty bad, not holding out a great deal of hope for the stable.

Yes it was, but they just started testing it out today and yesterday for stability with all of the stuff in the stable, so it's p. fun right now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

That was a mod
Yeah but so were a few things that got absorbed into the main game, so I was just kinda hoping that happened. Oh well.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Is there a list of all the MM upgrades yet? I did not get too far through them and am waiting for the stable to play more. I noticed the fluids stuff made it in, wasn't that a mod originally?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Is there a list of all the MM upgrades yet? I did not get too far through them and am waiting for the stable to play more. I noticed the fluids stuff made it in, wasn't that a mod originally?

there's 4 power upgrades, 2 size upgrades, and a liquid upgrade, that's how far I got with admin commands, before I stopped.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I need to know if it's worth $11.24 or if it's flushing money down the drain like my cube world purchase.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I need to know if it's worth $11.24 or if it's flushing money down the drain like my cube world purchase.

Don't spend money on this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

been 3 hours now, update still isn't out.

devs lied again what a surprise!!!!!!

• Locked thread