Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

who wants to see a bunch of words about languages written by a goofus https://plus.google.com/110981030061712822816/posts/KaSKeg4vQtz

that's an old one. yegge is the highest functioning retard this side of eliezer yudkowsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/98

C# 7 design discussions

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

i can't be the only person kind of impressed to see this. I was talking to mads at Xamarin evolve and he was very excited to do this.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol they all but just come out and say "there won't be a separate meeting to consider vb, we'll just cram some equivalent features into it at the last minute because who gives a gently caress anyway"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

switch (o) {
case string s:
Console.WriteLine(s);
break;
case int i:
Console.WriteLine($"Number {i}");
break;
case Point(int x, int y):
Console.WriteLine("({x},{y})");
break;
case null:
Console.WriteLine("<null>);
break
}
im the missing "

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

im the missing "

I noticed that too when I was reading it lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

St Evan Echoes posted:

lol they all but just come out and say "there won't be a separate meeting to consider vb, we'll just cram some equivalent features into it at the last minute because who gives a gently caress anyway"

this has been the vb.net design methodology from the beginning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

unghhh method contracts are hot.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

im the missing "

What type does o have here? I don't understand this code in a strong static type system.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Object i guess? or maybe T

it has a type that is not known at compile time but is at run time?

i don't know anything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

unghhh method contracts are hot.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

gonadic io posted:

What type does o have here? I don't understand this code in a strong static type system.

Object. all C# types are Objects

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

gonadic io posted:

cmon. in haskell o's type would be an ADT thats a sum of all the types mentioned in the switch statement

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
urgh. loving Docker. I'm trying to like this poo poo but it's such a fuckup project despite starting from a good idea (hey let's just not bother actually verifying digital signatures. you really think somebody would do that? just go on the Internet and tell lies?)

foo/Dockerfile: FROM ubungu
bar/Dockerfile: FROM ubungu
adsfhjfdsa/Dockerfile: FROM ubungu

Have you heard the good word of Ubungu Linux??????? don't forget to apt-get update!

jfc

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i have never not been excited about a new version of c#

where's the extension properties though

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Flat Daddy posted:

cmon. in haskell o's type would be an ADT thats a sum of all the types mentioned in the switch statement

well yeah but there didn't seem to be any ADT constructors or anything that would indicate that, it just looked exactly like python's

if (o hastype string) then ... else if (o hastype int) then ...

or whatever

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

gonadic io posted:

well yeah but there didn't seem to be any ADT constructors or anything that would indicate that, it just looked exactly like python's

if (o hastype string) then ... else if (o hastype int) then ...

or whatever

like, for serious, what's the practical reason that matters?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr Dog posted:

urgh. loving Docker. I'm trying to like this poo poo but it's such a fuckup project despite starting from a good idea (hey let's just not bother actually verifying digital signatures. you really think somebody would do that? just go on the Internet and tell lies?)

Have you heard the good word of Ubungu Linux??????? don't forget to apt-get update!

jfc

hahah yeah docker only gets good when you keep your repos inhouse

dont pull from public

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

Object. all C# types are Objects

what about pointer types

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

bomb posted:

what about pointer types

look at me being wrong and certain

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

gonadic io posted:

any type, remember that C# has reified generics and all types are somewhere in the hierarchy (including void, int, etc.), so it can literally be any type. I suppose if the type can be determined statically at compile time, the switch won't even be compiled, just the branch that matches

bomb posted:

what about pointer types

well gently caress me sideways, any type except for pointers

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
sent this to the php developer evangelist we have http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

He came back with the 'good developers can use whatever' and a 'curl most sites and you won't see ASP.net being used'

C# 7 is looking nice. My body is ready for C# 6, release it Satya.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

jfc

docker, the daemon that sets up containers on demand via REST api, rules

docker, the idiot's model of repeatability using dockerfiles, needs to die

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the big problem with jenkins is that the guy looks so smug

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
His name is Hudson.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

quote:

A developer evangelist is a spokesperson, mediator and translator between a company and both its technical staff and outside developers.

I don't understand. How is this a useful position?

quote:

He came back with the 'good developers can use whatever' and a 'curl most sites and you won't see ASP.net being used

These are terrible arguments. I hope you're pointing out that your developers are likely using languages that they are comfortable and productive with and so switching languages to a new one because "reasons" is a terrible idea, and his point about launching a PHP-based product in six weeks is useless anecdotal bullshit? If this guy seriously has the CEO's ear over actual developers, then you might want to look into finding a good exit.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
does anybody actually use unsafe c# for anything

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

thx jeeves

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think he looks tranquil

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

GrumpyDoctor posted:

interop with C

(get a pointer from one thing, pass it to another)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

interop with C

why wouldn't you just use IntPtrs

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shhhhhhh, don't let the word get out that this is all we do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

GrumpyDoctor posted:

why wouldn't you just use IntPtrs

struct

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

if you're talking about unpacking structs then why wouldn't you handle that in the marshaling? it's unsafe in both cases but that way you don't have to put your c# itself into who-knows-what's-going-on mode

e: i guess i can see it if there's like a union or something involved

raminasi fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 29, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
structs and unions are pretty pleasant in c# marshalling

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

GrumpyDoctor posted:

if you're talking about unpacking structs then why wouldn't you handle that in the marshaling? it's unsafe in both cases but that way you don't have to put your c# itself into who-knows-what's-going-on mode

e: i guess i can see it if there's like a union or something involved

i had to use some weird dll before a vendor provided c# bindings, this was 2 years ago and i never do anything right so idk

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I have in fact, for direct pixel manipulation of images. it was a tool to build win32 ICOs from a bunch of images, I guess but I'm not terribly sure that I used unsafe memory to examine input images pixel by pixel, and to generate the... unusual bitmap data required by ICO (images in ICOs are not actually transparent, they're old school sprites that are drawn in two stages: an AND mask that draws the opaque part in black, and a XOR mask that fills the black with color data. and the transparent part had better be black in the XOR mask) plus all the resource directory structures that provide the metadata. I'm not sure why I used unsafe code at all, probably just as an exercise

I wrote it because I could find no free tool that supported the newer ICOs with embedded 256x256 PNGs, and we needed a cool icon for the one Win32 application I got to write back in 2007. afterwards, I used it to make high resolution icons for MAME games: for the 32x32 and 16x16 resolutions I used a MAME icon library that floated around, but for the 256x256 image I took the game's logo/title screen, cropped and cleaned it up, and the most shocking thing was, most games actually had a lower resolution than 256x256. 80s and early 90s games could literally fit in an icon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why do you need to be unsafe for that? you're banging on some byte buffers, that's fine in managed code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Subjunctive posted:

why do you need to be unsafe for that? you're banging on some byte buffers, that's fine in managed code.

because SHUT UP!