Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game fails at strategy. It fails at campaign play. It fails at making interesting decisions for your players. It's fine for a one-off game but please don't play league Blood Bowl.
TL;DR: Blood Bowl is the largest, most convoluted, most rules-dense press your luck dice game in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Poison Mushroom posted:

TL;DR: Blood Bowl is the largest, most convoluted, most rules-dense press your luck dice game in existence.

Yes, but also has the fun feature of failure to press your luck on one roll will hurt you on future rolls...maybe.

Press your luck's luck!

EBag
May 18, 2006

The Orleans Kickstarter is about a day and a half from ending and has hit all of its major stretch goals, pretty much every component in the game has been upgraded to wood. Great deal if you're interested in the game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Frankly, my main balancing beef with Blood Bowl is the supremacy of Block and Dodge, making a lot of level ups revolve around them or dealing with them, forcing one to grind superstar players to have a shot at abilities that do something interesting (unless one feels really yolo). This is probably the number one factor for me getting burned out on it every once in a while.

Blood Bowl has a whole slew of issues (as evidenced by this thread), but I wouldn't really call it a bad game, rather a really dated one. Wish there would be a proper modern successor*.

* A kind I can buy in a loving shop, rather than gambling on the Internet for it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Poison Mushroom posted:

That hit me a little while back in the Blood Bowl CE thread.

Magnetic North posted:

I was going to go on about how risk management is a big part of Blood Bowl, and that Dread Ball is an entirely different (and worse) game but something just hit me: Blood Bowl is basically an extremely elaborate push-your-luck game.

That might explain why I like Incan Gold so much.

Seriously, I think this comes down to the immortal battle of people who dislike luck in games waging their immortal war against fun. :colbert:

Lichtenstein posted:

Blood Bowl has a whole slew of issues (as evidenced by this thread), but I wouldn't really call it a bad game, rather a really dated one.

Quoted for truth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah a Blood Bowl update would be rad but Blood Bowl owns. Push your luck owns, football owns, killing people in sports owns

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Japanese comics and animation are to blame for subjecting youngsters to oversexualized female imagery. There is no arguing about that, they should learn from American comics and animation to treat women with respect and... and... sigh...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Bloodbowl isn't a game. BB is an exercise in inner pece.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fenn the Fool! posted:

What happens when a player accidentally violates one of the speech rules?

"Rapid Mutation." The Robeast immediately evolves upward a Form. If it is at Omega Form already when this occurs, it flips new attack cards (which is catastrophically bad). If you have to flip an attack card when a deck is emptied, you lose a shitload of HP, but that's just idiot-proofing (the attack decks are relatively big).

I had some people stop by on the way to MAGFest to try out the game. Things were going okay until a disastrous series of broken Extra Rules annihilated the team-- one of the players looked at their hand of cards which broke the Omega Rule (Card visibility reversed Hanabi-style), another player told them, "God drat it I just told you not to do that!" which broke the Beta Rule (Pilots cannot use the word "I"), then they immediately said, "gently caress, I'm so stupid!" once they realized what they just did. 6 new attack cards flip with 15 seconds to Impact. Destroyed under a torrent of crab claws and robot bees.

Madmarker posted:

Well....poo poo.......guess I didn't need money anyway.

Definitely interested, I have a few friends I am pretty sure I can rope into playing this. Couple of questions for ya though:

1) What is the expected price point of the game?

2) Assuming your Kickstarter meets its goal, what timeframe could we expect the game to be distributed (within reason, I know you aren't clairvoyant)

3) Most of my playgroup is into competitive Euros with theme being an almost irrelevant afterthought, like your avatar's game, Caylus, what, if anything about Final Attack will appeal to them?

1) Retail MSRP is looking to be around $65. Minimum backer to get the game will be $50 with free US shipping, representing a 20%-25% discount off projected MSRP. International shipping is in and something I did my homework on (there are a few Int'l shipping tiers that aren't too expensive).

2) Summer 2015. A detailed schedule will be posted on the campaign page.

3) I view theme in a different way from most. To me, theme is a product of conveyance and mechanics, not a product of text and pictures (although the art won't disappoint).* I mean it when FA! plays a lot like a worker placement coop; randomness is kept to pre-decision stages, resource generation and card interaction is incredibly Euro (as the System Cards tutorial video showed), you can actually build resource engines if you're good, both sides accumulate options and resources steadily, the game functions closest to established Euros in existence, and I have a French name which will be displayed on the box.

*This is worthy of an article, but I'll save it for a more public time and location.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 28, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

To me, theme is a product of conveyance and mechanics, not a product of text and pictures (although the art won't disappoint).*

If you hadn't already sold me, this would have done it.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Broken Loose posted:

I had some people stop by on the way to MAGFest to try out the game. Things were going okay until a disastrous series of broken Extra Rules annihilated the team-- one of the players looked at their hand of cards which broke the Omega Rule (Card visibility reversed Hanabi-style), another player told them, "God drat it I just told you not to do that!" which broke the Beta Rule (Pilots cannot use the word "I"), then they immediately said, "gently caress, I'm so stupid!" once they realized what they just did. 6 new attack cards flip with 15 seconds to Impact. Destroyed under a torrent of crab claws and robot bees.
That's really great. You gotta tell that story somewhere on the Kickstarter IMHO.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Good Answers to My Questions

Ok excellent, I guess my next question is when will the Kickstarter page go up?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
BL, in the old gameplay demo video, it sounded like people were talking about being specific roles (both individual mechs and as specific parts of the fused robot), was that just people making goofy jokes or are there actually different roles with different powers for each player?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Wait, did you demo this at MAGFest? How did I miss it?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Madmarker posted:

Ok excellent, I guess my next question is when will the Kickstarter page go up?
End of next week. I don't wanna be like "February 7th" because it precludes my being able to get it out early.

Countblanc posted:

BL, in the old gameplay demo video, it sounded like people were talking about being specific roles (both individual mechs and as specific parts of the fused robot), was that just people making goofy jokes or are there actually different roles with different powers for each player?
When you begin the game, you get a K-Machine. Each K-Machine consists of 3 unique cards, and there are 8 total K-Machines with wildly different abilities (in the video, St0rmD was Lightning Fighter, Full Metal Boxers was Fire Dragon, Bullet was Ice Wolf, and I was Brave Lion).

As an obvious example, Fire Dragon provides basic offensive elements and a shitload of Fire (used mainly for Payback). Fire Dragon needs Coolant for some Needs and to do any Boosts. Ice Wolf, conversely, provides a less versatile set of offensive elements while also providing Coolant (used for Needs) and Ice (used for Payback).

Once you combine, you pick up your Limb cards and add them to your hand. Each Limb consists of 3 unique cards, and there are 8 total Limbs with wildly different abilities. Every game requires a Head, Arms, and Legs, but even if you don't include the random extras (like Wings or Control) you won't know which Limb you are until you combine.

As a less-obvious example, the Arms provide a wide variety of powerful offensive abilities (a rocket punch, a force field, etc), but they Need Balance to even function at the bare minimum. The Legs provide Balance in droves along with other mobility, kicking, and support functions.

Aerox posted:

Wait, did you demo this at MAGFest? How did I miss it?
Not AT MAGFest, but not for lack of effort. I actually had the opportunity to possibly provide a MAGFest prototype but time was a huge problem. No, they were simply goons passing through town on the way to MAGFest.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Not AT MAGFest, but not for lack of effort. I actually had the opportunity to possibly provide a MAGFest prototype but time was a huge problem. No, they were simply goons passing through town on the way to MAGFest.

Ah, gotcha, I misread. I was gonna be bummed that I missed it, especially since I was in the board game room a ton.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

EBag posted:

The Orleans Kickstarter is about a day and a half from ending and has hit all of its major stretch goals, pretty much every component in the game has been upgraded to wood. Great deal if you're interested in the game.

drat, I forgot TMG Kickstarters were so short. I thought I'd have a chance to try it out next week before jumping on.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Broken Loose posted:

Every game requires a Head, Arms, and Legs...

How does this work with < 3 players?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Oh come on. I love Ameritrash and I'm not afraid to say that Blood Bowl is garbage with a great theme.

Blood Bowl has teams that have literally one strategy to win and are able to execute it despite the opponent knowing that it's coming and doing everything in his/her power to prevent it. Junk.

It also has an asymmetrical style of teams - bruisers and finesse. Unfortunately the leaguing system punishes finesse teams for multiple league games - sometimes for entire seasons - for getting bad rolls via a harsh, punitive injury system. Finesse teams can literally play people who have no real interest in winning and simply build out teams to bully their opponents first and maybe score a bit after they've smashed their opponents into dust, and this works *incredibly* well on finesse teams - it not only gets them the win, it can long-term destroy the finesse team. Enjoy a playoff season where the bruiser teams are mostly healthy and ready for action (depending on their schedule), and the finesse teams are a bag of broken bones and skin held together by team rerolls and a charitable Apothecary.

It also has two skills that are vastly, incredibly better than any other skills and everyone makes a beeline for them on their power positions. There's literally no real choice other than "pick these two insane great skills, start working on something else."

Of course you can avoid some of these things. Don't play finesse teams until you're very experienced. Don't accidentally pick a difficult or weak team. Play high Team Values where claw and mighty blow start felling those bruiser teams consistently. These are valid points. There's a decent game waiting for the experienced Blood Bowl players...after dozens of hours of league play and investment.

The game fails at strategy. It fails at campaign play. It fails at making interesting upgrade decisions for positional players. It's fine for a one-off game but please don't play league Blood Bowl.

This is the most wrong post in the thread, and I've watched Rutibex try to defend Talisman.

A) Er, what teams would those be, exactly? Without other information, I'm going to guess Dwarves, because rookie coaches do not understand how to beat Dwarves. (Here is the secret to their "unbeatable" strategy: Stand a few guys exactly one square away from their "cage"/offensive formation. They will move one square forward a turn and fail to reach scoring distance of the endzone before the half ends. Win the game 1 to 0.)

B) No, it doesn't "work incredibly well." With the exception of Amazons, your average agility team can reliably outscore a bashing team with a 3:2 player disadvantage. You will lose players. You will be down players and have awful mercenary stand-ins. Use them as cannon fodder. This is what you're supposed to be doing, and you should still be able to win.

(The injury system does have a few things I dislike. Namely, every injury beyond "Miss Next Game" or "Niggling Injury" should just read "Dead." Because you should be firing these players and replacing them.)

C) Block supremacy is a thing, yes, but that is one skill-up. Dodge is debatable, and restricted to certain players--most of whom should have started with Block already, so this would be your first level-up. You vastly underestimate skills like Tackle, Wrestle, Guard, Side Step, Mighty Blow, and a whole host of other "second level-up" skills that are often preferable to Blodge.

D) Skaven, Humans, and Wood Elves are all new-player friendly agility teams. Lizardmen, High Elves, and Pro Elves are fine with a season's experience. Bruiser teams are easy enough to beat if you can figure out how to avoid them, outscore them, out-position them, or feed them cannon fodder.

tl;dr You seem to have decided that there is only one effective strategy in Blood Bowl, with all the conviction of someone declaring Big Money to be the only strategy in Dominion. This is a problem with you, not with the game.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PleasingFungus posted:

How does this work with < 3 players?

With 2 players, your starting hand is 2 K-Machines and each player gets 2 Drive Keys. Each player has 2 Limbs set aside for combination.

In a single-player game, your starting hand is 3 K-Machines and you get 3 Drive Keys. When you combine, you pick up all 3 Limbs. I'm particularly pleased with the single-player experience.

In both cases, it's a seamless transition to larger games. No dummy players and nothing fundamentally different.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Broken Loose posted:

"Rapid Mutation." The Robeast immediately evolves upward a Form. If it is at Omega Form already when this occurs, it flips new attack cards (which is catastrophically bad). If you have to flip an attack card when a deck is emptied, you lose a shitload of HP, but that's just idiot-proofing (the attack decks are relatively big).

How do players keep track of all of these rules? If there is a soundtrack going on, who is keeping an eye on all the cards around and all the texts listing a bunch of speech rules while also thinking of their own moves?

Don't you think this card is a bit too colorful considering it doesn't even have the art on it yet?

Placing a simple single color (white/gray/beige etc) layer under the busy text box below might help making it easier to read. Keep in mind that cards look darker when printed compared to how they look digitally and most rooms aren't half as well lit. Also fonts look a bit too small to me to be read when you place this card on the table and look at it from the usual sitting around the table distance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think there is ever only going to be 3 rules at most, because only one of those evolution cards is picked per game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maybe it's because I play a lot of fast competitive games that require lots of communication, but that doesn't sound hard to track in real time at all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

I think there is ever only going to be 3 rules at most, because only one of those evolution cards is picked per game.

Yeah, the card is revealed at the beginning of the game and it's visible the whole time with each of the 3 Forms being (hopefully; I HAVE seen groups that just fall apart and get an early Omega but those Omegas tend to be less devastating compared to the Omegas which are harder to accidentally achieve) gradually added. Each Robeast is themed, too, so most Extra Rules actually make sense in context... this is related to the conveyance bit I said earlier.

Using Fornax H1 as an example, it simply sets you on fire. At first, the machine is on fire as a mild distraction ("It burns!"), then you have to essentially resolve an attack that needs Coolant to be Held off, and finally it breaks into full-blown panic (I find that people on fire make demands or statements more often than they request things of others). When you get to the point late game where the Arms tells the Legs, "GIVE ME BALANCE IT BURNS" instead of politely asking, it suitably incites panic and desperation much like being on fire would.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

echoMateria posted:

Japanese comics and animation are to blame for subjecting youngsters to oversexualized female imagery. There is no arguing about that, they should learn from American comics and animation to treat women with respect and... and... sigh...

I'd point out certain fallacies within this argument, but this is neither the time nor place for it. Let's not have another "is anime good/bad?" derail.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

I'd point out certain fallacies within this argument, but this is neither the time nor place for it. Let's not have another "is anime good/bad?" derail.

It's good.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

It's good.

Good. It's settled.

Honestly, this argument should be "how awesome are the power rangers?"

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Countblanc posted:

It's good.

Correct. We would also have accepted "It's not the devil."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Good. It's settled.

Honestly, this argument should be "how awesome are the power rangers?"

Pretty loving awesome, all things considered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

drat, I forgot TMG Kickstarters were so short. I thought I'd have a chance to try it out next week before jumping on.

It's great. Buy it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gutter Owl posted:

A) Er, what teams would those be, exactly? Without other information, I'm going to guess Dwarves, because rookie coaches do not understand how to beat Dwarves. (Here is the secret to their "unbeatable" strategy: Stand a few guys exactly one square away from their "cage"/offensive formation. They will move one square forward a turn and fail to reach scoring distance of the endzone before the half ends. Win the game 1 to 0.)

I'm just going to pick this out because you're absolutely correct but it also shows how badly Blood Bowl has hosed up your brain. I've had to do this. I've played 3 seasons and the Dwarves are about 25% of the reason that league play is poo poo. Playing them "right" is coma-inducing boring. What you are saying to do is absolute stupid boring garbage, isn't fun, and isn't "playing" the lovely game, it's enduring it.

Reminder of what I said: "There's a decent game waiting for the experienced Blood Bowl players...after dozens of hours of league play and investment." It is an ok game. It's terrible for newcomers, terrible in general, and I've never seen an RL season get to the Blood Bowl without at least 50% player attrition.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 29, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm just going to pick this out because you're absolutely correct but it also shows how badly Blood Bowl has hosed up your brain. I've had to do this. I've played 3 seasons and the Dwarves are about 25% of the reason that league play is poo poo. Playing them "right" is coma-inducing boring. What you are saying to do is absolute stupid boring garbage, isn't fun, and isn't "playing" the lovely game, it's enduring it.

Reminder of what I said: "There's a decent game waiting for the experienced Blood Bowl players...after dozens of hours of league play and investment." It is an ok game. It's terrible for newcomers, terrible in general, and I've never seen an RL season get to the Blood Bowl without at least 50% player attrition.

Nah it's more like the opposite of what you said.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

That's too bad. I was there, and if I'd definitely have made time to check it out while I was there.

I very rarely back Kickstarters, but this is seriously tempting. Hopefully the idea will go over well with my friends, since my normal gaming group only plays in public.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

most Extra Rules actually make sense in context... this is related to the conveyance bit I said earlier.

Using Fornax H1 as an example, it simply sets you on fire. At first, the machine is on fire as a mild distraction ("It burns!"), then you have to essentially resolve an attack that needs Coolant to be Held off, and finally it breaks into full-blown panic (I find that people on fire make demands or statements more often than they request things of others). When you get to the point late game where the Arms tells the Legs, "GIVE ME BALANCE IT BURNS" instead of politely asking, it suitably incites panic and desperation much like being on fire would.

I'm happy to hear this. I started out genuinely curious but I was really starting to wonder whether Final Attack! was really just Wacky In-joke Anime-themed Mashup of Designer's Favorite Games.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Broken Loose posted:

"GIVE ME BALANCE IT BURNS"

This sounds amazing and has sold me on seriously considering the game.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I plan on playing Blood Bowl team manager on superbowl Sunday while listening to jock jams and eating nachos.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Loose posted:

1) Retail MSRP is looking to be around $65. Minimum backer to get the game will be $50 with free US shipping, representing a 20%-25% discount off projected MSRP. International shipping is in and something I did my homework on (there are a few Int'l shipping tiers that aren't too expensive).

Wait, the kickstarter being cheaper than buying it retail? :allears:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Archenteron posted:

Wait, the kickstarter being cheaper than buying it retail? :allears:

MSRP and retail price aren't the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm happy to hear this. I started out genuinely curious but I was really starting to wonder whether Final Attack! was really just Wacky In-joke Anime-themed Mashup of Designer's Favorite Games.

I'm still hoping for an enemy called The Provost.