Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

quote:

If you’re here, it’s because you’re looking for something.

Something deeper than a virtual amusement park. More impactful than a virtual sandbox. More immersive. More real. A game where decisions matter.

We are, too. We’ve been looking for years, and we still haven’t found it…. because it doesn’t exist. Yet.

quote:

This vision isn't for everyone. If you read that manifesto, we've made it pretty clear:
If you're looking for a game designed for "everyone", this isn't it.

For this game to be successful, we don't need everyone. We do need you, though, and more people like you. If we can attract a small, loyal following that thinks like we do -- that wants to see this vision come to life -- that'll be enough.

Please help us get the word out. Eagles don't flock. We're going to have to build this community player by player, one at a time.

That's it for now. Sorry again for the construction plastic all over the floor.

Now, pick up a hammer. Let's build this thing together.

J Todd Coleman
ACE

bolding not mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Can we build it? Yes we can.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
By pick up a hammer he means give him your money fyi

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the thing is there is a large group of people that seemingly love open PvP and full loot

the problem is most of these people like the idea of ripping other people off

when the shoe is on the other foot they just quit

most people can't handle having their virtual items taken from them

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

eagles don't flock :911:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
^drat it

quote:

Eagles don't flock

Yeah! Are you a hardcore, rear end kicking EAGLE, or a lovely little casual GOOSE?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea everyone seems to have a story about when they played UO and they were some huge badass that was hated and known around their server

and im just wondering, where were the normal people who just farmed and did poo poo like that, i dont remember all these PKers

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
These guys really seem to get it. I don't understand why they haven't raised millions on Kickstarter.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

shadok posted:

These guys really seem to get it. I don't understand why they haven't raised millions on Kickstarter.

i'm the chick with the thong in the background

also lol what is mobilization??

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Eonwe posted:

yea everyone seems to have a story about when they played UO and they were some huge badass that was hated and known around their server

and im just wondering, where were the normal people who just farmed and did poo poo like that, i dont remember all these PKers

Like 90% of the people that played were just there to have fun and craft or do group poo poo or just RP, the actual PVPers and especially the PKers were a tiny minority and there's a loving good reason when the PVE only world opened up the PVP ones emptied out.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I knew a guy that was a crafting tycoon in UO. He never farmed anything or did pvp just crafted non stop and was well known on the server for always having a fully stocked shop.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

By pick up a hammer he means give him your money fyi

The game already has solid financial backing, physical offices already exist, day to day work is already happening

It's nothing like pathfinder online

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
let me be a jr network engineer

make it happen please

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
The "hype" posts by the devs are quite pretentious, but I can't blame oldschool SB players for being excited, since this is the closest thing to recreating that experience for them.

I'm definitely not sold on the concept yet (and that's to say nothing of the future implementation), nor could/should anyone, due to the limited information released.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zarithas posted:

I'm definitely not sold on the concept yet (and that's to say nothing of the future implementation), nor could/should anyone, due to the limited information released.

I don't know why you'd say that - there is enough pedigree in the management and design to keep an eye out here. No one is asking for your money yet.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

MrBims posted:

I don't know why you'd say that - there is enough pedigree in the management and design to keep an eye out here. No one is asking for your money yet.

By "not sold" I mean I'm neutral, not that I'm against the idea. Not that anyone should care about my feelings towards it. I have like 200 lovely seriousposts on their forum and continue to post daily, so I'm definitely very wishful w/r/t the core concept, but my expectations are low (as they are for any MMO like this). I have a sneaking suspicion the concept may not be how I want or expect it to be.

If it does end up lining up closely with how I hope it does, then I will probably follow it obsessively and if the implementation is not a steaming pile of poo poo I'll play it every day for the next 2 to 5 years. If not I'll probably sit back and wait for the next big thing to be announced.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
zarithas for goon guild leader of this non existent game that ill probably pay $100 for

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Eonwe posted:

zarithas for goon guild leader of this non existent game that ill probably pay $100 for

That would certainly be painfully ironic.

Even if I wanted to play with goons it's definitely for the best if I don't; plus many people would justifiably object. I really regret all the stupid decisions I made when I was 16, like backstabbing goons (I felt quite bad while doing it and almost reconsidered, but the place I was defecting to demanded screenshots of the leadership forums to prove I was serious and not a double agent) just because we weren't winning the game anymore. I probably still would've left the clan due to other issues, but on good terms and definitely not remotely in the way I did. You can't imagine how much I cringe when I even think about the wall of text I posted on the DF forums, let alone read it.

If this game is decent I'd love to see a good goon presence though, in the style of EVE and the early Darkfall days.

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger

RottenK posted:

i can almost touch the elitism oozing out of this post

if only all those sheeple realized how wrong they are

Touch my elitism. Touch it. :rolleyes:

I've been communicating in this thread why I think a pvp MMO can work. I don't find pve MMOs attractive but that's my personal taste; I'm not judging you for being a big gay pve loving carebear.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zarithas posted:

I can't blame oldschool SB players for being excited, since this is the closest thing to recreating that experience for them.

This looks to be exactly replicating the best part of the SB experience. To wit, the pre-launch forum warrior geotrollitics.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

shadok posted:

Holy gently caress I can't believe that webpage still exists. It looks almost untouched since before even World of Warcraft came out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zarithas posted:

That would certainly be painfully ironic.

Even if I wanted to play with goons it's definitely for the best if I don't; plus many people would justifiably object. I really regret all the stupid decisions I made when I was 16, like backstabbing goons (I felt quite bad while doing it and almost reconsidered, but the place I was defecting to demanded screenshots of the leadership forums to prove I was serious and not a double agent) just because we weren't winning the game anymore. I probably still would've left the clan due to other issues, but on good terms and definitely not remotely in the way I did. You can't imagine how much I cringe when I even think about the wall of text I posted on the DF forums, let alone read it.

If this game is decent I'd love to see a good goon presence though, in the style of EVE and the early Darkfall days.

i think everyone has forgiven and forgotten

archeage has the new goonfuckers lmao

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Eonwe posted:

i think everyone has forgiven and forgotten

archeage has the new goonfuckers lmao

Perhaps, but if I hypothetically had any say in recruiting for the guild I would never let someone like myself in. Just not worth the risk and unpredictability. Though I did actually play with Goonfleet/waffe for a bit post-Darkfall, under the forum and in-game name Zarithas, and they apparently weren't aware of my goonfucking past. I guess they only read the spaceship threads.

Subjunctive posted:

This looks to be exactly replicating the best part of the SB experience. To wit, the pre-launch forum warrior geotrollitics.
Exactly. It's a very familiar atmosphere, which further increases my hopes for the game. I'm trying to distance myself from the endless theorycrafting this early on though, since it's possible a lot of us will be very disappointed once the full announcement is published.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Zarithas posted:

By "not sold" I mean I'm neutral, not that I'm against the idea. Not that anyone should care about my feelings towards it. I have like 200 lovely seriousposts on their forum and continue to post daily, so I'm definitely very wishful w/r/t the core concept, but my expectations are low (as they are for any MMO like this). I have a sneaking suspicion the concept may not be how I want or expect it to be.

If it does end up lining up closely with how I hope it does, then I will probably follow it obsessively and if the implementation is not a steaming pile of poo poo I'll play it every day for the next 2 to 5 years. If not I'll probably sit back and wait for the next big thing to be announced.

The last time I read this sort of statement it was people in the pantheon thread. Pantheon had a clearer and larger theoretical playerbase than a open pvp mmo

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Byolante posted:

The last time I read this sort of statement it was people in the pantheon thread. Pantheon had a clearer and larger theoretical playerbase than a open pvp mmo

I don't really care how big Crowfall's playerbase is, as long as it's enough to healthily sustain a server for a few years. The devs don't care all that much either, since they're pretty explicit about this game not being for a mass audience.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

Holy gently caress I can't believe that webpage still exists. It looks almost untouched since before even World of Warcraft came out.

It's pretty close to the 2000 version of that webpage, and the text is essentially unchanged since the 2002 version. Since no actual development work has ever been done, they should break Duke Nukem Forever's record easily.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Eonwe posted:

yea like, if they make a fun game ill play it, but the amount of :smug: from the players and devs is hilarious

its mostly "man im so glad we aren't plebs and like this dead niche in a dead-ish genre"

any game developed by people who act like this will be worthless trash, no exceptions

go look at carbine and how well wildstar turned out

the games itt are wildstars for the pvp crowd, and have the same smug retards defending their poo poo design

rage at me posted:

I've been communicating in this thread why I think a pvp MMO can work. I don't find pve MMOs attractive but that's my personal taste; I'm not judging you for being a big gay pve loving carebear.

only people who hate pvp would disagree with you

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

MrBims posted:

Haha, can I interest you in some snake oilStar Citizen ships?

rage at me posted:

:allears:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eonwe posted:

Me. I played on pacific, did some blacksmithing and sold some ingots most of the time. I didn't even touch most of the dungeons.

Quite a few pks liked to hang around the mountain near minoc, but they were scrubs and half the time they just hung out watching people mine.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Biggest info dump yet happened today:

http://crowfall.com/#/news/forgemaster-world-rules-resources
http://crowfall.com/#/faq

I'm fairly pleased with all of the announcements, but I'm skeptical/confused about the multi-world multi-ruleset system. I can't make any serious judgment until they release some more details about all the worlds, but I think it'll either make or break the game. By trying to appeal to hardcore PvPers and more "themeparky" PvPers at the same time, they risk alienating one or both groups. But it may be just the right thing to bring in a large playerbase if they do it properly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zarithas posted:

Biggest info dump yet happened today:

http://crowfall.com/#/news/forgemaster-world-rules-resources
http://crowfall.com/#/faq

I'm fairly pleased with all of the announcements, but I'm skeptical/confused about the multi-world multi-ruleset system. I can't make any serious judgment until they release some more details about all the worlds, but I think it'll either make or break the game. By trying to appeal to hardcore PvPers and more "themeparky" PvPers at the same time, they risk alienating one or both groups. But it may be just the right thing to bring in a large playerbase if they do it properly.

lol at this game and "large playerbase" in the same sentence.

More likely they'll just fragment a small playerbase and make their entire enterprise more unsustainable than it already is.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

lol at this game and "large playerbase" in the same sentence.

More likely they'll just fragment a small playerbase and make their entire enterprise more unsustainable than it already is.

Yeah there's a pretty good chance of that happening. Frankly I don't care that much about the playerbase size, as long as the intended endgame is fun for the primary audience (old SB/DF/UO players).

Also, you can travel from one world to the other, so I imagine a few of the worlds will just be barren rather than permanent splintering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wait, I misunderstood. Someone is saying that the pedigree of the team is an encouraging sign? I don't see how printing money with what is almost literally a carebear game indicates that their ability to build a good, viable PvP game has improved since they flailed at the keyboard and produced sb.exe crashes and single-computer architectures and trusted clients and an astonishing display of shortsightedness in design of the end game. (And unconscionably bad lighting, ground texturing, and animations even by the standards of the day.)

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, I misunderstood. Someone is saying that the pedigree of the team is an encouraging sign? I don't see how printing money with what is almost literally a carebear game indicates that their ability to build a good, viable PvP game has improved since they flailed at the keyboard and produced sb.exe crashes and single-computer architectures and trusted clients and an astonishing display of shortsightedness in design of the end game. (And unconscionably bad lighting, ground texturing, and animations even by the standards of the day.)

I don't think anyone said that. Everyone knows Shadowbane was a massive pile of poo poo with occasional bursts of fun. It was an earlier time though, and though it may be misplaced, I do have slightly more faith in these people than I do Aventurine and the Mortal Online people.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
SB was in development like 15 years ago dude - back when EVERY mmo had those problems. You can let it go now, its fine, no need to keep being angry over 'bad lighting'.

I say it has some pedigree because of people who didn't even work on SB. Calm down, it's all going to be ok.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 30, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Why are people getting bent out of shape that some folks look back fondly on one of the first persistent MMORPG worlds?

It's still a decent concept, and as someone mentioned earlier, parallels to ArmA are pretty neat.

If someone could create an ArmA game that rather than modern weaponry used swords, axes and fireballs, gently caress yeah I'd play.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 30, 2015

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Zarithas posted:

It was an earlier time though, and though it may be misplaced, I do have slightly more faith in these people than I do Aventurine and the Mortal Online people.

To be fair, the mortal online people have semi pulled their poo poo together.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

To be fair, the mortal online people have semi pulled their poo poo together.

as someone who played the first beta test of 30 people, it doesn't matter if they have now because the time to do it was like, years ago at this point

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

woah

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They made a game I thought I would like, and found frustrating and unenjoyable.

I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation.

• Locked thread