Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Gilganixon posted:

I thought the Daily Mail was primarily read by working class people that very likely have no money themselves. I know Mac is a fucker but why are the readers of this garbage newspaper putting up with being caricatured like this? Or do they just assume that the Conservatives don't consider the readers of the Daily Mail as worthless, degenerate untermenschen until the moment they start on benefits?

They don't see themselves as being part of the caricatures, because it's difficult to identify with caricatures. Even the ones who are badly off consider there to be an underclass worse off than them, and rationalise it as ok by assuming they deserve it. It's also why most people assume they're middle class, even though poverty is so widespread.

Interestingly, if the artwork wasn't there it'd be a critique on the Conservative party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

HAHAHA nice loving citations buddy. Couldn't make them any more generic than fbi.gov and just...NRO. Not even a link?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So Ukinojoe does comics now I guess.
(So much butthurt over this on tumblr - including gamergaters having the gall to say that this is the first time vivian was sexualized)

Huh?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Gender and Sexuality in Video Games.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

That cartoon is a) totally accurate and b) in no way right wing.

Whatever the cartoon's political intentions, I have no doubt that a British Conservative party supporter could look at it and find it funny. The implied violent nature of the lower classes and the paradoxes of their party's policies on poverty are both things they would find amusing.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Ah yes, the National Review Online Online. /pedantry

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

and Bigfoot is actually a proven hoax or am I just reading too much into :tinsley:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Seriously, her speech fell into Muirese word-salad territory after her teleprompter broke, and after the fact she brought up some other speech from 2004(?) where she claims the teleprompter broke (it didn't, as other people can still see the many,many prompters she was looking at and read her speech) as proof of....something. Also, Palin is an idiot.

I somehow missed all this, just watched it and it's incredible, has the Desperate Nominee Sideshow really started already? :allears:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jedit posted:

That cartoon is a) totally accurate and b) in no way right wing.

Spooky Hyena posted:

Interestingly, if the artwork wasn't there it'd be a critique on the Conservative party.

It would be fine if the cartoonist didn't draw his poors as subhuman ape-things idly drinking, smoking and playing with all the phones they bought (while on benefits) among piles of filth. A good cartoonist might be sending up what the right wing thinks of people on benefits, but it's Mac and it's in the Daily Mail. They might not like the conservatives going for that vote but they definitely do hate those morlocks scrounging off the taxpayer.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Vivian James was basically a mascot for the Gamergate movement, a demure waifu who agrees with everything they do. Naturally this was so loving blatantly "gently caress Feminism" - A Woman - A bunch of dudes that gamergaters now claim that she was actually a character created for a game by a indie dev team of women (!)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Vivian James was basically a mascot for the Gamergate movement, a demure waifu who agrees with everything they do. Naturally this was so loving blatantly "gently caress Feminism" - A Woman - A bunch of dudes that gamergaters now claim that she was actually a character created for a game by a indie dev team of women (!)

It's true, though. Gamergaters on 4chan's /v/ board wanted to prove how not-sexist they were by supporting a crowdfunding campaign for female game devs and through donation goals were permitted to design a character for whatever game they were making.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Have you listened to or read the transcript of Palin's latest speech? It's insane and it's getting the same level of ridicule as Rick Perry's "Oops" moment, or the poo poo Dan Quayle said, or any of the stuff Biden did or did not do, it has nothing to do with her gender. Are there any markers you can point to that indicate Luckovich is bringing her gender into this, or is it your unique brand of lovely contrarianism?

Mostly lovely contrarianism, but to be quite honest, there's something bad about depicting women as so dumb they can't even recognize kitchen appliances.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

Mostly lovely contrarianism, but to be quite honest, there's something bad about depicting women as so dumb they can't even recognize kitchen appliances.

But it's not "women," is it? It's Sarah Palin, who did indeed make a dumb incoherent speech that had even her supporters backing away slowly. Why do you think the cartoonist is using Palin to represent her entire gender?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Republicans posted:

It's true, though. Gamergaters on 4chan's /v/ board wanted to prove how not-sexist they were by supporting a crowdfunding campaign for female game devs and through donation goals were permitted to design a character for whatever game they were making.

Okay so a bunch of gamergate assholes contribute to an indiegogo for women concerned about representation in games but not overtly and the whole thing is administrated by other gamergate assholes? What a clusterfuck. (The FYC site incidentally has a contest going on where one of the first things cleared up in the rules is "Yes indeed, participants can depict gender based violence"). God this poo poo has gone on too long.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Never thought I'd hear myself say this but, Bad Reporter did it first.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

I thought the Daily Mail was primarily read by working class people that very likely have no money themselves. I know Mac is a fucker but why are the readers of this garbage newspaper putting up with being caricatured like this? Or do they just assume that the Conservatives don't consider the readers of the Daily Mail as worthless, degenerate untermenschen until the moment they start on benefits?

The Daily Mail is read by hateful white old people, the fact that they're also working class is irrelevant. The readers of this cartoon are expected to agree completely with the cartoon's first and second points (there are worthless scroungers living off your tax dollars, you work hard and pay your taxes and worthless immigrants steal from you, the conservative government has done a good thing to take away their benefits and make them go get a job instead) and then become enraged by the third point, which is that suddenly the Conservatives might be appealing to these people for support because there's an election coming up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

majormonotone posted:

I'm only racist against Something Awful posters

A self-hating goon. How original!!!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel very hesitant to give you this but...OK!

Thanks, buddy!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gilganixon posted:

It would be fine if the cartoonist didn't draw his poors as subhuman ape-things idly drinking, smoking and playing with all the phones they bought (while on benefits) among piles of filth. A good cartoonist might be sending up what the right wing thinks of people on benefits, but it's Mac and it's in the Daily Mail. They might not like the conservatives going for that vote but they definitely do hate those morlocks scrounging off the taxpayer.

Morlocks are intelligent, hard working, and are responsible for keeping civilisation running :colbert:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Auschwitz and the Jewish State

The Auschwitz Concentration Death Camp was liberated on January 27, 1945.
The State of Israel declared independence on May 14, 1948.

Labels: 1945, 1948, antisemitism, Auschwitz, Europe, Israel, Israel Flag, Jewish Star, Jewish State, Shuldig, Star of David

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Labels: 1945, 1948, antisemitism, Auschwitz, Europe, Israel, Israel Flag, Jewish Star, Jewish State, Shuldig, Star of David

Doesn't the fact there's a day dedicated to remembering the Holocaust mean we remember it?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Israel's gonna get those Nazis.

Now watch this airstrike on a Palestinian hospital.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, when was the last time anyone brought up the Holocaust or Israel? :japan:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Actually the world does remember, Kirschen. We also remember Santayana saying "The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again". Then we notice how much Gaza resembles the Warsaw ghetto, and wonder who it is in Israel that remembers history.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Shadeoses posted:

Morlocks are intelligent, hard working, and are responsible for keeping civilisation running :colbert:

They also eat the otherwise useless parasites who live off their labour so in that regard they're one up on the working class I guess.

E: yeah we never hear about Auschwitz or Israel, what are they

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Auschwitz, that's the capital of Switzerland, isn't it?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Reminder: This was JRROSE!'s previous cartoon:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Kurdish cuties.

Or to quote Fox "Boobs on the Ground".

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WitchFetish posted:

Why do you think Sarah Palin is a good representative for women? Who is the real sexist here?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

So if anti-Muslim backlash doesn't exist why have all these comics been published in national newspapers? I guess they must not exist.

Fuckin' Obama thinks he runs the country or something.

Cheer up, buddy. We still have all those mass shootings.

Holy poo poo.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gravel Gravy posted:

Or to quote Fox "Boobs on the Ground".

just gently caress off

Xander you're the propaganda guy, do you have a collection of Spanish Civil War/Soviet/Chinese propaganda featuring women soldiers? I remember seeing a lot of images along those lines a while back.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

He has a long history of saying whatever the gently caress he wants regardless of the rest of the network's narrative. When I get my annual dose of Fox by visiting my parent's place he's probably the only guy on the network that doesn't make me cringe on sight.

Shep is great. An average Fox News personality invited to a White House dinner might seize the opportunity to criticize the administration for extravagance when a recession is going on, but Shep just has a good time and comes back to his show to read the menu -- on air -- and talk tenderly about all the delicious things he ate. He knows his colleagues are essentially facepalming about it, but he does not give a poo poo, he is going to talk about the awesome food.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Internet Webguy posted:

Holy poo poo.

:gizz: who is this cartoonist, their signature is illegible

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

joeburz posted:

:gizz: who is this cartoonist, their signature is illegible

That's Russell Hodin, a cartoonist for San Luis Obispo New Times.

We don't see a lot of him here. He mostly seems to focus on state or local issues but he's capable of some punchy stuff when he looks at national or international issues.

1 Pretty sure I've seen this one in politoons before

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gilganixon posted:

That's Russell Hodin, a cartoonist for San Luis Obispo New Times.

We don't see a lot of him here. He mostly seems to focus on state or local issues but he's capable of some punchy stuff when he looks at national or international issues.

1 Pretty sure I've seen this one in politoons before

Thanks! New Thread Hero!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

HAHAHA nice loving citations buddy. Couldn't make them any more generic than fbi.gov and just...NRO. Not even a link?

This cartoon manages to sully friggin Garfield by running on the same page. What a crock of bigoted bullshit.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

Holy poo poo.

I actually really don't like this because it's a lazy A Movie Happened And Also I Hate A Guy cartoon that just happens to feature guys that we also hate. Like Ramirez's Jack The Giant Slayer cartoon where Obama slays the giant American economy.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

loquacius posted:

I actually really don't like this because it's a lazy A Movie Happened And Also I Hate A Guy cartoon that just happens to feature guys that we also hate. Like Ramirez's Jack The Giant Slayer cartoon where Obama slays the giant American economy.

also to pick at this some more the Koch Bros aren't damaging liberty, they're mostly a threat to democracy, the environment, the poor and the sick.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 29, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gilganixon posted:

also to pick at this some more the Koch Bros aren't damaging liberty, they're mostly a threat to democracy, the environment, the poor and the sick.

the huddled masses yearning to breathe coal ash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gilganixon posted:

Yeah why didn't he draw them shooting the Statue of Democracy, the Environment, the Poor, and the Sick

• Locked thread