Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007
More complaints: When I started copper was a pain in the rear end to find. And making me mine to the centre of the goddamn loving plant to get some loving dumb poo poo so I can go to other planets was hella lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
This is a really fun game, it's basically exactly what I wanted from a Terraria successor even though there's clearly a lot of development still to go. This thread is an excellent demonstration of the fact that goons are retarded babies who mindlessly dogpile anything once a few people declare it bad.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Almost got Bowen'd myself, phew.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
wow, ever since the update the trolls are really coming out of the woodwork

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[Tiy collapses in the middle of a snowstorm on Hoth, the sun rapidly setting]

Obi-Wan: "Tiy."

Tiy: "Ben..."

Obi-Wan: "Tiy. Get rid of the energy bar you knucklehead. And moving slower while walking backwards ?? What's going on in that noggin of yours."

Tiy: " Dagobah system..."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glad to see a lot of people agree with me on cavegen being lacking. Until they fix that, the game's just going to be boring.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

oddium posted:

[Tiy collapses in the middle of a snowstorm on Hoth, the sun rapidly setting]

Obi-Wan: "Tiy."

Tiy: "Ben..."

Obi-Wan: "Tiy. Get rid of the energy bar you knucklehead. And moving slower while walking backwards ?? What's going on in that noggin of yours."

Tiy: " Dagobah system..."

Tiy: If we don't get stable out by the end of the day, we're in big trouble. Look at them, they're trashing our game.

Obi-Wan: That's no game.... it's Starbound.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, I know Chucklefish is the... publisher? for Risk of Rain, are the 'gates' modeled after the teleporter in RoR?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

stuntwaffle posted:

Tiy: If we don't get stable out by the end of the day, we're in big trouble. Look at them, they're trashing our game.

Obi-Wan: That's no game.... it's Starbound.

Tiy: "Is the energy bar better balance?"

Yoda: "No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive."

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hmm, I still may instal Starbound later. Please give me a short trip report if you are one of the OGs itt

Eonwe posted:

hahah holy gently caress man

did you know that gamers aren't a monolith

and do you think anyone is like, actually mad? wow dude :whitewater:
I bless both of you

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm going to start working on my mod like I said. I'm going to try to do the same thing as the glowing ores and teleport to outpost mod, and it will let you skip all of the tutorial stuff because new characters will spawn with core fragments, the coffee mug stuff, etc. in the ship locker. Also I want to globally buff digging speed and pickaxe durability, and also I haven't modded this game before and I don't know how to do any of this.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bilal posted:

I'm going to start working on my mod like I said. I'm going to try to do the same thing as the glowing ores and teleport to outpost mod, and it will let you skip all of the tutorial stuff because new characters will spawn with core fragments, the coffee mug stuff, etc. in the ship locker. Also I want to globally buff digging speed and pickaxe durability, and also I haven't modded this game before and I don't know how to do any of this.

It's at this point you'd be better off spending all that time and energy just playing a good game

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Lizard Wizard posted:

Glad to see a lot of people agree with me on cavegen being lacking. Until they fix that, the game's just going to be boring.

My spawn world has solid caves, just found a large vein of platinum right near where I reached core fragments and I'm swimming in the other ores. Probably some about a hour of exploring and digging. Not many chests and no dungeons though.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
novakids are incredibly bland and they don't even have a unique respawn animation, they just use the human one lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Smoremaster posted:

novakids are incredibly bland and they don't even have a unique respawn animation, they just use the human one lol

If you'll remember my Let's Play from this very thread, Novakid start off with big honking revolvers which is p. sweet. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much because combat is trash

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well yeah, improving the game is something to shoot for.

I'm not a starbound fanboy but some of the ways people are finding to poo poo on this patch seems a little absurd. How is it that you can find something negative in even "wow, they really improved this aspect by a lot"?

It seems like some things still aren't good at all but they've also made improvements in certain areas, so I hope they keep it up.

it's okay to not like things and talk about them hth

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i like some aspects of this update, however, I don't like other aspects, sorry to troll but that's just how it is!

Tin Tim posted:

Hmm, I still may instal Starbound later. Please give me a short trip report if you are one of the OGs itt

Depending on when you last played there's a lot of new stuff, but not all of it is good. A lot of the stuff that bugs me, other people don't mind, and vice versa, so you really should just try it yourself and see what's up. Nothing to lose but time!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 29, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The aspects I don't like are basically all the aspects I didn't like already, so personally the only real faults are that some bad things haven't been fixed, not that new bad things were added.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

When the bad parts of the game are the core mechanics, it's hard to mess up adding "good" fluff

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Does titanium even spawn in the starting star system? I ask because if I had some I could make armour worth a drat that doesn't let me almost die from touching this loving rear end in a top hat crystal monster's beams a single time. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I didn't have to gently caress around with keeping my mouse pointed in the right direction to keep moving faster than a crippled snail.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel the same way depending on the frame from reference we're using. From the latest unstable to this version, yeah, I don't like most of the stuff that existed already, like the energy bar for guns or the lovely cave gen. However, if we're talking about the last stable to this version, I don't like most of it. I like the ideas they're going for, I just don't like execution. The quests are stupidly restrictive and tedious, energy bar for guns is not only way overtuned but it's not an idea I like in the first place, that dungeon where you fight the first boss is way overtuned, monsters are still retarded and easily defeated with a two-block high mound of dirt, combat's still a slog unless you're overgeared, and while I'm okay with moving slower when you walk backwards, turning around in midair slows you down which is just some lazy poo poo lmao

e: things I like are the new race, ship upgrading, the idea behind the outpost, the rebind GUI, the stability improvements, and the mini-biomes. A lot of the new art is nice.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 29, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

oddium posted:

When the bad parts of the game are the core mechanics, it's hard to mess up adding "good" fluff
But I like a lot of the core mechanics more now. Combat in particular. Cavegen obviously needs a lot more work still but once I got past a certain depth it was way more open and I could explore around a bit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Oh.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
You would think they would at least care about improving the underground experience if they really expect you to dig all the way to the planet's core as the first thing you do in the game. I've seen them talking about underground biomes and dungeons, but apparently they're not in yet because my first hour with the new version sucked immensely. There is zero enemy variation and almost nothing of interest, just digging straight down, finding some open area with nothing on it and moving on. They should really focus on improving this as their next objective.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So is this Stable update the same update they've been spewing on us for the last year as nightlies?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idk, I added a ton of mods before I started playing and am having a ton of fun. So it looks like starbound is good and I have to keep up my end of the tox, what does the thread say?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Turtlicious posted:

Idk, I added a ton of mods before I started playing and am having a ton of fun. So it looks like starbound is good and I have to keep up my end of the tox, what does the thread say?

I wouldn't stop you :v:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/deadly_pudding

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

You you had to add mods to make it fun, is it actually fun?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I vote instead of buying 3 copies of starbound you buy 33 copies of bad rats

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You you had to add mods to make it fun, is it actually fun?

Sure, I don't have the issue with ores, because I highlight them all. I just explore for a cave and then dig them out. I don't have the issue with the quests, because I added a mod the gives me a teleport right there, I installed like a shitton of quest mods, so I haven't ran out of things to do when I get bored of building my space house, and because I have that crew mod, I can fill my space house with people and it's still interesting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, I have one more copy to give out.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Give it to AfraidofAudio please

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i volunteer ahundredbux as tribute

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well yeah, improving the game is something to shoot for.

I'm not a starbound fanboy but some of the ways people are finding to poo poo on this patch seems a little absurd. How is it that you can find something negative in even "wow, they really improved this aspect by a lot"?

It seems like some things still aren't good at all but they've also made improvements in certain areas, so I hope they keep it up.

Well Dr. Video Games Ph.D. you see, if you find a corpse floating in the river, drag it out, spray it with Lysol, and tie a pretty bow on it, you've improved a lot of things about the bloated, lifeless corpse.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nerdz posted:

You would think they would at least care about improving the underground experience if they really expect you to dig all the way to the planet's core as the first thing you do in the game. I've seen them talking about underground biomes and dungeons, but apparently they're not in yet because my first hour with the new version sucked immensely. There is zero enemy variation and almost nothing of interest, just digging straight down, finding some open area with nothing on it and moving on. They should really focus on improving this as their next objective.
Man I've been bringing this up ever since the roadmap came out, nobody believed me then. how long is cavegen going to remain neglected?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 29, 2015

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Gee, StarBound came out, better switch sides like the petulant human being i am.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Which side was that? Oh, right.

Tiy, I was promised an update, Not a poo poo Sandwich!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Boy, the game sure is updating a lot. What's up with that, Chucklefish/Steam?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Disappointed Tiy hasn't shown up here to drunkenly argue with ya'll. It's past 5:00 in the UK right now, he has no excuse to be sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rrussom posted:

Which side was that? Oh, right.

Tiy, I was promised an update, Not a poo poo Sandwich!

still tho, you're getting a sandwich

• Locked thread