Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

Is there any point in sitesearching for blood? How rare are blood sites?

There are a decent number of them, and they aren't hugely rare, but very few of them give slaves. Most give magic bonuses, gems of other types, and/or blood mage recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Finnish Flasher posted:

Is there any point in sitesearching for blood? How rare are blood sites?

Most blood sites are lovely (hooray. recruitable villains) and I usually don't bother searching B unless it's already on a mage that I'm searching with manually.

However, you do sometimes get a blood discount site which is hugely beneficial so ymmv.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The handful of blood sites you do get are loving magnificent, and any serious blood nation can probably afford one mage remote sitesearching on a monthly basis, especially starting in provinces with higher-than-normal unrest, or which horror mark.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Then you uncover THE VALE OF INFINITE HORROR and everyone the world over gets a mark. :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

The handful of blood sites you do get are loving magnificent, and any serious blood nation can probably afford one mage remote sitesearching on a monthly basis, especially starting in provinces with higher-than-normal unrest, or which horror mark.

Oh right yes search those for sure. If you notice marks or unrest generation (hit I on the province to make sure it's not just some stupid monster boar) search those. Any province with odd scales or effects should be searched appropriately

Also if you find one of the gates the world will love you forever if story events are on.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kitfox88 posted:

Then you uncover THE VALE OF INFINITE HORROR and everyone the world over gets a mark. :v:

Cultural victory :colbert:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh right yes search those for sure. If you notice marks or unrest generation (hit I on the province to make sure it's not just some stupid monster boar) search those. Any province with odd scales or effects should be searched appropriately

Also if you find one of the gates the world will love you forever if story events are on.

The best events are the gates opening. It's like breaking the seal, but you can't loving deal with them.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
What are those events by the way? Me and some friends are in a game right now and one of my provinces apparently has a site that can be unlocked by another players' mages. I've seen these before and I've never had the type of mage required. What happens when you open it?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Tons of demons and high level demon commanders come pouring out.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What are those events by the way? Me and some friends are in a game right now and one of my provinces apparently has a site that can be unlocked by another players' mages. I've seen these before and I've never had the type of mage required. What happens when you open it?

amuayse posted:

Tons of demons and high level demon commanders come pouring out.

FUN.

Fun things happen, so you know you want to.:devil:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Lord Koth posted:

FUN.

Fun things happen, so you know you want to.:devil:

I'd love to, but we already eliminated the player who has the mage we need. :/.

Can I wish for mages from another nation?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'd love to, but we already eliminated the player who has the mage we need. :/.

Can I wish for mages from another nation?
You can, but you'll have to Divine Name/Gift of Reason them to turn them into a commander.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I never get tired of elves trying to attack a blood nation that has leech researched. Those Mictlan Priest bloodhunters really pull their weight.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
What spells would you be casting with a worm mage? I am tempted to go for them but fail to see their utility as EA Pangaea, I already have more Pans than I can think of uses for.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

M_Bison posted:

What spells would you be casting with a worm mage? I am tempted to go for them but fail to see their utility as EA Pangaea, I already have more Pans than I can think of uses for.

Swarm and Creeping Doom. They're hilarious and explode into bugs when they die. They also have a 75% chance of just reappearing somewhere else on the battlefield when they die though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

Worm mages can often win by literally standing there doing nothing if you have enough of them since beetles are amazing. I usually tell mine to charm or eagle eyes + storm of thorns.

Just have someone to tag along with rigor mortis and grip of winter or heat from hell if you can.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Charm is really good for them to cast: the biggest problem with Charm is that the range on it is pretty short, but worm mages are immortal and Eye of the Void+Spell focus are cheap so who cares.

With the change to targetting with MR Negatable spells a couple patches ago, Charm and Hellbind Heart will pretty much always choose the best target in range (high hp low MR dudes, followed by high hp medium MR dudes, with an apparent preference for commanders.) Its really good and probably way more disruptive than other things the worm mage could cast, depending on what you're up against

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
What's a good nation to take Titan of the Underworld to go do TotU things with? Cool stuff like sneaking around assassinating commanders and being a giant annoying pest. How should I build him and what construction stuff should I aim for? Also I'd prefer my combat magic goals for my general army be "summon a lot a skeletons", and maybe transition into blood later?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Harrower posted:

What's a good nation to take Titan of the Underworld to go do TotU things with? Cool stuff like sneaking around assassinating commanders and being a giant annoying pest. How should I build him and what construction stuff should I aim for? Also I'd prefer my combat magic goals for my general army be "summon a lot a skeletons", and maybe transition into blood later?

C'tis?

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
You're describing Sauromatia

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think we are all ignoring the sneaking titan in the room...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Harrower posted:

Could go with the original. Dom10 EA arco Titan of the Underworld. Build nothing but sceptics and chariots.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Could go with the original. Dom10 EA arco Titan of the Underworld. Build nothing but sceptics and chariots.

Yeah, but what items would you give the Titan to go assassinating?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Just sit on some arsehole's capital who took their pretender imprisoned and laugh when you domkill them within 9 months.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
LA Agartha? Use a D9 dormant to summon 13 shard wights at 15 gems.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, but what items would you give the Titan to go assassinating?

I suppose you could make some L0 astral armor. His main weapon is Dom death. He can just camp until it goes to white candles and stab people.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
So, how do EA Oceania work? They look like Pan, but trading any good qualities their units had for Amphibious, and straight up losing all the interesting stuff.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

MorphineMike posted:

So, how do EA Oceania work? They look like Pan, but trading any good qualities their units had for Amphibious, and straight up losing all the interesting stuff.

yeah you pretty much got it. the ocean is terrible

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Breaking the Seal should be your goal as EA Agartha because it is grade A hilarious trolling. It's like a global that can't be dispelled, only murdered through extreme application of resources. :haw:

I want to see an aar with Break the Seals. I dont think any goon has done an extensive one yet.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Neruz popped it once in an EA game where I was Atlantis and actually doing fairly well. One of them attacked my cap and immediately sieged it down and I just had to wait for it to wander off.

Then I managed to kill another on land and got to find out they're just vessels for something even worse. :suicide:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

Neruz popped it once in an EA game where I was Atlantis and actually doing fairly well. One of them attacked my cap and immediately sieged it down and I just had to wait for it to wander off.

Then I managed to kill another on land and got to find out they're just vessels for something even worse. :suicide:

Yeah that was the game where I got the hint that the God Vessels like to spawn near caps (which I later confirmed in testing, God Vessels like to spawn next to capitols) the other two God Vessels also spawned next to other people's capitols, one of them sat on someone else's cap and killed all his dudes while the other one went for a wander before getting killed and becoming a Legion of Gods which continued to wander and afaik survived until the end of the game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Yeah that was the game where I got the hint that the God Vessels like to spawn near caps (which I later confirmed in testing, God Vessels like to spawn next to capitols) the other two God Vessels also spawned next to other people's capitols, one of them sat on someone else's cap and killed all his dudes while the other one went for a wander before getting killed and becoming a Legion of Gods which continued to wander and afaik survived until the end of the game.

Fun fact from my globals test game: if you force a God Vessel into autoretreat by running the clock out, it apparently dies and does not become a Legion of Gods. It just vanishes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah death shapes\shape changes don't work if you die via retreating.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

The differences in national power aren't as big as most people make them out to be. About the same level as, say, map placement luck.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I dunno, there's some nations that are just easily shut down even if they have the best start available, just because they have no/limited tools. Abysia is one of them because their commanders and troops are mediocre, expensive, and their one nice benefit is shut down almost entirely by an easily researched and casted spell. :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tested expanding with Troglodytes with Agharta. I thought "they have less hp, but cost half of a war elephant, so I can recruit twice as much. Twice as much trample! And with 5 more morale they won't rout like elephants".
Well, now I know why people don't use them. Forget against heavy cavalry or barbarians, they die against everything! Including inde short bows. Their 4 less prot. and less hp means great attrition rates in expansion.
I suppose their only use is if... dunno, against someone who is using big walls of low level chaff like maenads and soulless?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
They expand fine, just give them a minute archer screen of guys in Skirmish on Guard Commander out front.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah trogs work fine on indies; you just need to give them some guys out front to catch lances and arrows. Ideally you want the enemy guys to slam into your frontline and then the trogs wrap around and trample everyone to death in a single movement; it does require some rather finicky positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Site searching your capital is a waste of time right?

Also which are the good skele spam spells? My guys were summoning like 3 undead a turn, then went off script and started making GBS threads out groups of 10+. I might have just finished the next research tier of enchantment that turn though.

• Locked thread