Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've heard some people say that having a guy like Russo around is fine because occasionally he'll have a good idea, but I think that applies to Cornette more. Don't give him any actual power, just solicit his opinion. Cornette's out of touch, but he's more in touch with what I want as a fan that Vince McMahon is.

He's way out of touch, doesn't watch WWE, and still came up with a better idea in 20 minutes than the team of writers they pay to come up with this stuff on principle by virtue of at least not actively sabotaging the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...I just got to him laying out the post-Rumble Raw angle and it's loving BRILLIANT: Have Bryan be Reigns' second/manager going into Mania. Bryan's reasoning being he needs to train more to get back to being the Best In The World, and Reigns' that he needs someone to counter Heyman and help him prepare for Lesnar, a type of match he's never had. You get Bryan involved in the main event, you give Roman the rub, you cover for his weakness on the mic, and you can have Heyman and Bryan carry the promos. And it sets up either a face/face title match, or either guy can turn to go with Heyman down the line.

It's so simple, so elegant, and fixes the problem of the people rebelling if Bryan's curtain-jerking in a 6 minute match.

lol dude this would just make people chant for him more..

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

yea ok posted:

lol dude this would just make people chant for him more..

...so you then go with Reigns turning to go with Heyman, and keep building to the title match that's already being built to between Bryan and Reigns?

As opposed to Reigns vs Rollins followed by.... um... Kane? Because they have no heels.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Would that leave Bryan with no match at all at mania if he's just playing manager? I don't think that would really be better, I like Bryan most when he's actually wrestling.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah, Dave attributing the rise in Network subs to people hearing The Rock was at the Rumble and subscribing to see that made me laugh. Meltzer just loves Rock so much.

Man's gotta protect his sources good friends!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

Would that leave Bryan with no match at all at mania if he's just playing manager? I don't think that would really be better, I like Bryan most when he's actually wrestling.

It would but, everywhere he goes he says "I'm still rehabbing and gaining my strength back. Hopefully I'll be cleared to return soon." (and hopefully the truth doesn't leak)

This way the fans don't revolt because as far as they know Bryan isn't medically cleared to return.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I think having Bryan seconding Reigns is a pretty bad idea but it's an infinitely better idea than what they're actually doing

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The problem with Cornette's plan, or anyones plan regarding Daniel really, is that any of them would require WWE to care about Daniel Bryan's booking. If they did care, they would have booked him to win the Rumble. I feel like there's no middle ground here when it comes to Vince.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

anything is better than "nepotism is cool I'm related to the rock the brass believes in me please love me "

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
fantasy booking is awful

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

anything is better than "nepotism is cool I'm related to the rock the brass believes in me please love me "

I thought they were related as well, but according to Dave on Jericho's podcast yesterday, it turns out they're not related at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Blasmeister posted:

Bryan isn't at 100%. He needs time to heal up. I'd much rather him get a WM payday, do a signature spot on Heyman, maybe Lesnar, pop the crowd and not be ground into mush on a house show circuit.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've heard some people say that having a guy like Russo around is fine because occasionally he'll have a good idea, but I think that applies to Cornette more. Don't give him any actual power, just solicit his opinion. Cornette's out of touch, but he's more in touch with what I want as a fan that Vince McMahon is.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you and that Cornette has pretty consistent good ideas when it comes to wrestling and is pretty much the anti-Russo. Having said that, it would take a lot of effort to book Bryan Danielson and the Rumble worse than how WWE did it.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you and that Cornette has pretty consistent good ideas when it comes to wrestling and is pretty much the anti-Russo. Having said that, it would take a lot of effort to book Bryan Danielson and the Rumble worse than how WWE did it.

Yeah but when he gets complete power he books like he booked in ROH and you end up with Mike Mondo getting a big push and the Briscoes using ether rags on WGTT.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I'm sure there were at least 20 Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards/Roderick Strong 3-way main events while Cornette was booking, that's what it felt like anyway.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Gaz-L posted:

...I just got to him laying out the post-Rumble Raw angle and it's loving BRILLIANT: Have Bryan be Reigns' second/manager going into Mania. Bryan's reasoning being he needs to train more to get back to being the Best In The World, and Reigns' that he needs someone to counter Heyman and help him prepare for Lesnar, a type of match he's never had. You get Bryan involved in the main event, you give Roman the rub, you cover for his weakness on the mic, and you can have Heyman and Bryan carry the promos. And it sets up either a face/face title match, or either guy can turn to go with Heyman down the line.

It's so simple, so elegant, and fixes the problem of the people rebelling if Bryan's curtain-jerking in a 6 minute match.

this would not work at all and would backfire spectacularly so I hope they do it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Spermgod posted:

fantasy booking is awful

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Spermgod posted:

fantasy booking is awful

Part of the fun of wrestling is figuring out what might happen next, because it creates some kind of emotion if/when those expectations are met or subverted. That said, that's the very same reason why fantasy booking is almost as fun to make of as real booking to me: because it throws that dynamic out the window by asserting that something *should* be happening, instead of having fun watching everything unfold.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ghostpilot posted:

I thought they were related as well, but according to Dave on Jericho's podcast yesterday, it turns out they're not related at all.

The Wild Samoans consider Peter Maivia their uncle despite the lack of a blood relation. It's pretty common in Polynesian cultures to have someone who is your "uncle" without any relation to you, and you treat them as family. I have no doubt that the Rock refers to Reigns and the Usos as his cousins.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Cornette's thing, it's old school, and relies on you not knowing that Bryan is fit but it's simple and makes sense and is infinitely better than what they have now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the problem is that the crowd will go bonkers for bryan and not reigns and will probably boo the situation just like they did with The Rock. They don't want someone to endorse Roman Reigns, they just don't want Roman Reigns at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The Wild Samoans consider Peter Maivia their uncle despite the lack of a blood relation. It's pretty common in Polynesian cultures to have someone who is your "uncle" without any relation to you, and you treat them as family. I have no doubt that the Rock refers to Reigns and the Usos as his cousins.

They do, they are all considered family.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

oatgan posted:

the problem is that the crowd will go bonkers for bryan and not reigns and will probably boo the situation just like they did with The Rock. They don't want someone to endorse Roman Reigns, they just don't want Roman Reigns at all.

Yeah... that's the point. If they continue to boo Reigns then he turns on Bryan (and fans) and goes with Heyman. Now Roman has a someone to do his interviews, and Daniel Bryan is back chasing the title. People could buy Roman being a strong sellout heel champion with Heyman pulling the strings.

It's a win/win

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it'd almost literally be them redoing Rock vs Foley.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
SEAN GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK IT'S ALWAYS FUN WHEN YOU'RE ON

Last time he was on he talked about trying to kill himself. Now no denying it was one of the most amazing interviews, but it wasn't "fun."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spermgod posted:

fantasy booking is awful

reality booking is somehow worse

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Snuka's not related to them either but The Rock always referred to Tamina as his cousin.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Roman is IRL the Rollins character, but supposed to be likable

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Shameful opinion from Dave during the X-Pac show.

"I'd seen [FLAPJACK NORTON] in the AWA and he never did anything for me."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Man everything Austin says about Reigns is spot on and he should really take it to heart. Can't imagine he'll be getting that level of criticism from anyone else in WWE when they all know what way the wind is blowing and are probably trying not to get in the chosen one's bad books.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked Jericho's chat with Meltzer about the Rumble. Jericho was right, the worst crime was that it was just lazy and didn't make anyone look strong. It's not even that Reigns wins, just that they do it in the most flaccid way.

Also, while both mention the boos at the end, neither seems to mention that Reigns is booed on his entrance. I know the popular idea is that they turned on him because Bryan got thrown out, but when your guy enters to boos that's a little more troubling.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
29:10 for Miz and Mizdow on Jericho.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Meltzer abandons four sentences halfway through for every one he finishes. How do you guys listen to him talk so much?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DannoMack posted:

Meltzer abandons four sentences halfway before finishing one how do you guys listen to him talk so much?

Y'know, you just get used to it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Y'know, you just get used to it

It is what it is.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's his mentality

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
just fricken tremendous

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
people w/ observer, hehu informed me last night of a matt riddle update, apparently xpac and meltzer are wowed by how he's coming along as a pro-wrassler

can anyone either tell me what was said or copy/paste it depending on if it was text or audio or w/e

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

DrVenkman posted:

I liked Jericho's chat with Meltzer about the Rumble. Jericho was right, the worst crime was that it was just lazy and didn't make anyone look strong. It's not even that Reigns wins, just that they do it in the most flaccid way.

Also, while both mention the boos at the end, neither seems to mention that Reigns is booed on his entrance. I know the popular idea is that they turned on him because Bryan got thrown out, but when your guy enters to boos that's a little more troubling.

his entrance was booed because Bryan had already been eliminated and thus they knew Reigns was winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Bhester posted:

his entrance was booed because Bryan had already been eliminated and thus they knew Reigns was winning.

they didn't even wait for the entrance really, a cacophony of boos filled the place as soon as Reigns showed up on the lead-in promo at the very top of the PPV

• Locked thread