Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

2008 Huckabee is the Huckabee who was given the chance to repudiate his 1992 comments about people with HIV/AIDS needing to be "isolated" from society, and didn't take it. He wasn't a nice guy.

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply that his is, rather than on that one occasion he expressed a surprising degree of understanding running contrary to the frothing outrage just about every other Republican was indulging in over "god drat America!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Huckabee is one of the more frightening Republican candidates because he's smart, charming, and (relatively) sane, which makes him a one-eyed man in the land of the blind as far as the modern Republican party is concerned. He's just got the old-time religion.

I wouldn't call him all that frightening, as I don't see how even if he makes a real run he'll make it out of the primaries without getting eaten alive for 1) occasionally being non-terrible on this and that, and 2) the whole cop killer commutation thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

I don't think calling a completely non-controversial popular pop star a whore is a relatively smart or charming thing for someone running for public office to do...

The person you're describing is actually Scott Walker.

Walker doesn't have the religion, does he?

You're right, that whole Beyonce thing seemed like a major slip up for Huckabee. I wonder if he's getting old or if maybe being on Fox has weakened his instincts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You're right, that whole Beyonce thing seemed like a major slip up for Huckabee. I wonder if he's getting old or if maybe being on Fox has weakened his instincts.

Oh I don't think you know Scott. He was literally an abortion clinic protester before he held elected office.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There is a real chance that it was C) too much time spent reading MediaTakeOut so he can have things to know he should be upset about that the shallow youth culture of today.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Bunk posted:

I see two bald men with white mustaches and bushy eyebrows kissing.

You're just seeing what you want to see.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think it's more likely that Huckabee was fishing around for a new thing for old white people to get outraged about that he could spearhead.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Everything Huck says sounds just like your local Southern Baptist preacher. Huck preached in Arkansas for decades. He had to come up with a new sermon every single week, and if he was like any baptist preacher I've ever seen, what he does is recycle the same poo poo but set the pop culture references to 3 years behind current popularity so the congregation will actually understand it. It doesn't matter what pop culture IS, whatever it is, it is ungodly and from the pulpit you will hear about how it is reflective of a world covered in sin, that you should reject and save yourself from. A woman in tight clothing? She's a whore, or at the most 'generous', causing 'unpure' thoughts and exploiting herself and the men around her. Anyone at all in your pop culture talking about or having sex outside of marriage or homosexuality (not sure if Huck knows that Beyonce is married, but this goes way beyond just them), they're undermining marriage. Hey, does that pop culture you consume include anyone using any mind altering substance, you're promoting drugs to kids.

For those of you who know about Southern Baptist theology, you know how important the idea of a sin cursed world is, and it is important that the line between what is godly and not godly stay firm. Not that that causes the congregation to stop interacting with pop culture, it just gives them a sense of superiority about the whole thing. Like when Disney started having a gay weekend, my preschool, which was in a SBC Church, stopped showing any Disney movies, though most people were just frustrated, didn't care, and certainly didn't keep up the boycott in everything, but every Disney product in the school from then on was double checked for "ungodly" influence, for years after that.

To me this sounds like Huck thinks his sermons from early 1990's Arkansas can double as stump speeches.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

No, he's just older, whiter, and angrier.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

How is walker expecting to win when his state is garbage in terms of metrics other than "how horrible has their governor been the past X years"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

joeburz posted:

How is walker expecting to win when his state is garbage in terms of metrics other than "how horrible has their governor been the past X years"

Because he's has the most crossover appeal from both the batshit insane tea party base and the wall st funders. And the Koch's LOVE him.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

joeburz posted:

Jamelle Bouie over at Slate believes his plan will be to double down on political polarization and try to get out the white vote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This strategy isn't unique to walker. It will be what any republican nominee is relying on.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I guess they're relying on that tripe Sean Trende suggested in mid-2013?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Scott Walker Cohle posted:

I think conservative consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a chance at the presidency, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each electable, when in fact everbody's terrible... I think the honorable thing for our party to do is to deny our programming. Stop fundraising, walk hand in hand into demographic extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of ever winning an election past 2020.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fundraising is a fat circle.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

good luck winning any of the midwestern states that actually have black people in 'em, Scott

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

mcmagic posted:

Because he's has the most crossover appeal from both the batshit insane tea party base and the wall st funders. And the Koch's LOVE him.

Why wouldn't they, his career seems to be based on loving unions as hard as humanly possible

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

scott walker frightened away from debate stage by the audience: the collected ghosts of the Iron Brigade

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

oldswitcheroo posted:

Anyone at all in your pop culture talking about or having sex outside of marriage or homosexuality (not sure if Huck knows that Beyonce is married, but this goes way beyond just them), they're undermining marriage.

He knows. He called Jay Z her pimp for letting his wife be seen with exposed skin.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress me, True Detective ripped off Tom Ligotti?!? No wonder people thought it was a great show.

Now I basically have to watch it ASAP. By the way, if you dig that quote then go pick up Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, from whence it came.

And of course Ligotti himself was riffing on Zapffe's Last Messiah.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I guess they're relying on that tripe Sean Trende suggested in mid-2013?

The Sailer strategy goes back a bit further than that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

comes along bort posted:

The Sailer strategy goes back a bit further than that.

Oh? Never heard of that one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh? Never heard of that one.

Have fun googling Steve Sailer and avoiding white supremacist websites.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mdemone posted:

gently caress me, True Detective ripped off Tom Ligotti?!? No wonder people thought it was a great show.

Now I basically have to watch it ASAP. By the way, if you dig that quote then go pick up Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, from whence it came.

The parts that riff on Ligotti are the least interesting bits of the show so yes, you should go watch it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chantilly Say posted:

The parts that riff on Ligotti are the least interesting bits of the show so yes, you should go watch it

lol I've no idea who Ligotti is but True Detective owns, get over it. It's so good.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

She, like most FOX News employees, is a liberal who does it because she thinks she's interchangeable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mlmp08 posted:

lol I've no idea who Ligotti is but True Detective owns, get over it. It's so good.

I've never read Ligotti but my understanding is he's the guy Rust is always quoting when he goes on one of his "life is pain" tangents, so I guess if you liked those parts a lot the show would seem even better

I don't know if Ligotti wrote anything about getting cranked up with bikers but I know which parts of the show I liked better than Phil 101 with Dr. Cohle

(Great show, I just noticed this isn't the chat thread)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mdemone posted:

They didn't rip it off. One of the main characters is well-read, and quotes from stuff a lot when describing his personal philosophy. He doesn't give attribution because we don't usually go around saying, "To borrow from Ligotti I believe..." The fact that he's into that kind of stuff is described in a kind of passing fashion early on in the series, and so I think people just forget about it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

They didn't rip it off. One of the main characters is well-read, and quotes from stuff a lot when describing his personal philosophy. He doesn't give attribution because we don't usually go around saying, "To borrow from Ligotti I believe..." The fact that he's into that kind of stuff is described in a kind of passing fashion early on in the series, and so I think people just forget about it.

Similarly, when people excitedly tell you a news story they heard on NPR, they don't echo the advert phrase "I heard it on NPR" even when you know they did and heard the same story. Polite humans just nod and say that it's an interesting story. I also don't laugh and say "lol Newton" when a physicist discusses gravity.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ErichZahn posted:

She, like most FOX News employees, is a liberal who does it because she thinks she's interchangeable.

It's just Kelly is a rich, educated white woman from the north east and Huckabee's brand of aw shucks misogyny just isn't going to work for her. Kelly isn't immune to saying really awful things but she isn't a robot like they have on Fox and Friends.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We all know Megyn Kelly can be smart and cutting, but she's very specific in her targets. She clowned Rove when he was still claiming Romney could win last election. She pounced all over a guy who argued that maternity leave/pay is bullshit because pregnancy is a choice.

She doesn't give a gently caress about anything she's not currently enjoying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ErIog posted:

The guy who wrote the show was also pretty upfront about how Ligotti was an influence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ErIog posted:

Yeah, I figured it was like that. Not like Ligotti could leave his house long enough to sue for plagiarism even if it hadn't been a good-faith homage.

Every influence I hear mentioned for TD punches my buttons but good. At this rate it will wind up my favorite show before I even get around to watching it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Daily Beast has "sources" saying Romney's announcing his "intention to explore candidacy" in ~an hour and a half.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/01/30/mitt-romney-is-running-for-president.html?via=twitter_page

Literally everybody already knew this, but it's another step in the chain.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who's the last candidate who "explored a candidacy" or announced an exploratory committee that ended up not running?

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who's the last candidate who "explored a candidacy" or announced an exploratiry committee that ended up not running?

Haley Barbour did that in 2012.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who's the last candidate who "explored a candidacy" or announced an exploratory committee that ended up not running?

A few do that every year, but its mostly fringe candidates who want to test the waters on fundraising.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
The Chris Hayes All In fantasy draft was pretty entertaining.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Mark Halperin reports that according to people familiar with his thinking, Romney has concluded that neither of the current frontrunners, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie, can win in a general election.

The obvious solution to that problem is the guy who's already lost a general election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Romney's out (according to Hugh Hewitt who got this email).

quote:

Let me begin by letting you know who else is on this call, besides Ann and me. There are a large number of people who signed on to be leaders of our 2016 finance effort. In addition, state political leadership from several of the early primary states are on the line. And here in New York City, and on the phone, are people who have been helping me think through how to build a new team, as well as supporters from the past who have all been kind enough to volunteer their time during this deliberation stage. Welcome, and thank you. Your loyalty and friendship, and your desire to see the country with new, competent and conservative leadership warms my heart.

After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.

Let me give you some of my thinking. First, I am convinced that with the help of the people on this call, we could win the nomination. Our finance calls made it clear that we would have enough funding to be more than competitive. With few exceptions, our field political leadership is ready and enthusiastic about a new race. And the reaction of Republican voters across the country was both surprising and heartening. I know that early poll numbers move up and down a great deal during a campaign, but we would have no doubt started in a strong position. One poll out just today shows me gaining support and leading the next closest contender by nearly two to one. I also am leading in all of the four early states. So I am convinced that we could win the nomination, but fully realize it would have been difficult test and a hard fight.

I also believe with the message of making the world safer, providing opportunity to every American regardless of the neighborhood they live in, and working to break the grip of poverty, I would have the best chance of beating the eventual Democrat nominee, but that is before the other contenders have had the opportunity to take their message to the voters.

I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders, one who may not be as well known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started, may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee. In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case.

I feel that it is critical that America elect a conservative leader to become our next president. You know that I have wanted to be that president. But I do not want to make it more difficult for someone else to emerge who may have a better chance of becoming that president. You can’t imagine how hard it is for Ann and me to step aside, especially knowing of your support and the support of so many people across the country. But we believe it is for the best of the Party and the nation.

I’ve been asked, and will certainly be asked again if there are any circumstances whatsoever that might develop that could change my mind. That seems unlikely. Accordingly, I’m not organizing a PAC or taking donations; I’m not hiring a campaign team.

I encourage all of you on this call to stay engaged in the critical process of selecting a Republican nominee for President. Please feel free to sign up on a campaign for a person who you believe may become our best nominee.

I believe a Republican winning back the White House is essential for our country, and I will do whatever I can to make that happen.

To all my supporters, friends and family who worked both tirelessly and loyally to support my campaigns in the past, I will always be deeply appreciative. What you have already done is a tribute to your patriotism. We are overwhelmed and humbled by your loyalty to us, by your generosity of spirit, and by your friendship. God bless you all.

..... THE END?

• Locked thread