Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been preparing for that to happen, I've got a set of Speedymoto 848 rearset tabs that I plan to weld on when the inevitable happens.
I should just fully insure the thing and let insurance total it out, then buy it back when it happens.

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been preparing for that to happen, I've got a set of Speedymoto 848 rearset tabs that I plan to weld on when the inevitable happens.
I should just fully insure the thing and let insurance total it out, then buy it back when it happens.

You have insurance that covers track use?!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Barnsy posted:

You have insurance that covers track use?!

There are insurance companies that do. We had an incident last year where a dude on an R1 asspacked a dude on a ZX10R at the entrance to a 100mph corner. Somehow, the insurance company knew the incident happened on the track and covered both bikes and medical bills. It's not something I care to deal with, but all things considered it's a good rear end-covering measure in case a crash happens that results in real damage rather than some plastics, rearsets, and a clipon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think I'm going to do Chuckwalla for the first time with Socal Trackdays on 1/31 - 2/1, if anyone else is going.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

I think I'm going to do Chuckwalla for the first time with Socal Trackdays on 1/31 - 2/1, if anyone else is going.

Really wish they let us use gopros here in Sydney. Would be so good to look at your body position/lines.

Sweet pic though!

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 18, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
This has been making the rounds on Facebook...

http://sowega710.kinja.com/the-10-worst-people-at-trackdays-1677098969

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
WERA created a new class called Vintage 8.

quote:

Vintage 8 Heavyweight
Machines based on A Superbike rules that are 12 years old or older based on the current season year as well as the exact same model of a newer year but unchanged in every way other than graphics.

Vintage 8 Mediumweight
Machines based on C Superbike rules that are 12 years old or older based on the current season year as well as the exact same model of a newer year but unchanged in every way other than graphics.

For the 2015 racing season, here is a list of bikes that will be eligible:

V8-MW - Bikes up to '03
Yamaha R6, Kawasaki ZX6R (ZX6RR), Honda CBR600RR (also F4 and F4i), Suzuki GSX-R600, Ducati 748, Ducati 749

V8-HW - Bikes up to '03
Yamaha R1, Yamaha R7, Yamaha YZF750, Kawasaki ZX-7R (ZX-7RR), Suzuki GSX-R750, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Suzuki TL1000, Honda RC51, Honda CBR1000RR, Ducati 996, Ducati 998, Ducati 999, Aprilia RSV Mille, MV Agusta F4

Pretty loving awesome class, imo. Anyway, first trackday of the year for me on Sunday.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Post pictures so that I may live vicariously through you (no track days for me this year :[ )

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Little late, but chiming in on the Vortex rear-set train. I did A Dumb Thing in a practice session earlier this season, saved a high-side and then low-sided when I thought I was about to get away with it in a moderate-speed carousel. Snapped the brake lever and ground down the footpeg, rest of the bike was virtually un-touched.

In other news, went to the Midwest Region CCS awards banquet last weekend. Picked up an Amateur Midwest Region Championship in both Lightweight Superbike and Lightweight Grand Prix. Also got track championships in both classes as well for Blackhawk Farms. Going Expert this year and going to get my rear end kicked. :dance:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

T-Square posted:

In other news, went to the Midwest Region CCS awards banquet last weekend. Picked up an Amateur Midwest Region Championship in both Lightweight Superbike and Lightweight Grand Prix. Also got track championships in both classes as well for Blackhawk Farms. Going Expert this year and going to get my rear end kicked. :dance:
Fuuuuck yeah, where are the pictures at? :)

xaarman posted:

Post pictures so that I may live vicariously through you (no track days for me this year :[ )

I've now got 211 track miles on the SBK Pros and am super loving happy with them. I'm moving to a more aggressive pad since the tires provide more grip than the pads are able to use when you get into the brakes smoothly. Had one runoff trying to beat a guy on a liter bike into a corner, other than that the day was smooth.

Also, signed up for SoCal Supermoto on 2/9.

Tis track season for me. Planning on Chuckwalla next month too, since my local org is running their February trackday on V-Day and I'm not about to drag my girlfriend to the track for that.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Things are changing out here in the wild far east. Starting this year Sepang International Circuit is only allowing one organizer to run motorcycle trackdays there. It so happens that these guys are friends of mine and Singapore-based, but they are also the only ones who run a proper trackday with compulsory safety briefings and rider segregation into groups according to their ability/speed.

I've attended some of the other "trackdays" with my Malaysian friends before, basically a local bikeshop or whatever rents the circuit for a few hours and just lets everyone loose. No briefings, no segregation, just have at it in the Thunderdome. That poo poo was dodgy as gently caress (i saw some close calls) and i think there must have been a bunch of bad accidents for the circuit to change their policies and allow a non-Malaysian company to be the exclusive trackday organizer for bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

*already bought the pic, just waiting for the photographer to email me the file*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can't wait to take the 999 to the track. CAN'T WAIT.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Never done a track day but I think this is the year! I have a (stock) DRZ400SM as a 2nd bike, which I plan to use for said track days. My local cycle shop helps newbies get started at nearby tracks. The first thing the guy at the shop said was "you're going to need an aftermarket exhaust".

Is that an expected response?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

epalm posted:

Never done a track day but I think this is the year! I have a (stock) DRZ400SM as a 2nd bike, which I plan to use for said track days. My local cycle shop helps newbies get started at nearby tracks. The first thing the guy at the shop said was "you're going to need an aftermarket exhaust".

For a salesman, yes.

Z3n, clean yo pm box!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^ done

epalm posted:

See if you can find a local kart track to play on, it'll be cheaper and more lax. The big tracks will require a bit more work and prep.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

For a salesman, yes.

This, but he sort of has a point if it's a drz. A new exhaust (not just a slipon) and a widened airbox is pretty common. Then you get to figure out how to re-jet the carb.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm also probably gonna do my first track day (or two) this year at Summit Point, pretty excited :haw:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

I'm also probably gonna do my first track day (or two) this year at Summit Point, pretty excited :haw:

From my experience with a cbr250 on a track, you don't need a bucketload of power to have a blast. You'll be wishing for more oomph, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy yourself. As long as there's a slow group (which you should go on anyway for your first day) you'll be fine.

Seconded for a kart track though, it'll suit your bike better, is probably cheaper and easier.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good thing I'm on an sv650 now :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

This, but he sort of has a point if it's a drz. A new exhaust (not just a slipon) and a widened airbox is pretty common. Then you get to figure out how to re-jet the carb.

Just ride the thing stock. Exhaust + proper rejet = a few trackdays.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
New exhaust? Naww

Only pic i have, sorry for the blur. All stock except for cheap, used handguards and front fender. Even had the hilarious little pouch that came mounted behind the seat still on it. Fun times going round the outside of noobs on gixxers in the tight stuff.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

Just ride the thing stock. Exhaust + proper rejet = a few trackdays.

Yeah, it's awesome to have but it's not exactly mandatory. The exhaust is somewhere around 400-600 for a not-poo poo one, then you get to buy a jetting kit. Also most people throw larger FCR carbs on them when they do that so your little project just hit about a grand. When you start throwing alot of money (cams, etc) at a DRZ you start to edge into "I should have bought a used WR450" territory.
Also aftermarket DRZ pipes are loud as gently caress*, so enjoy your +5 to Cop Magnetism.

*~My Yoshimura~ is apparently a 99dB pipe without the spark arrestor.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I hate you warm weather dwelling, year round track riding jerks. 10" of snow tonight, more on the way PLUS some 35mph winds tonight/tomorrow!

gently caress you, Midwest weather

:arghfist: :(

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

^what he said

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

:suicide: :suicide:

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
First trackday of the season here in Indiana is Putnam park on April 18/19th. Any of you dudes going? April in Indiana should be fun, might put my rain tires to work for the first time.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

New toy!!! 2007 CBR600RR

Comes with the following:

SS braided front brake lines
Vortex front brake and clutch lever
K&N air filter
Ohlins TTX36 MKII rear shock
AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit (complete front fork internals)
Sharkskinz bodywork
Arrow full exhaust and partially heat wrapped
Vortex gas cap
Dynojet power commander
Bazazz Quickshift
520 DID chain conversion with renthal sprockets
Woodcraft spools
Woodcraft frame sliders
Woodcraft clutch cover protector
Woodcraft stator cover
Woodcraft complete rearsets
Fully safety wired

It has been sitting a while, so it needs a complete fluid flush and new tires. But I'm pretty happy for $4000.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Tires being put on tomorrow, waiting for my Riders Discount order to come in... which might be delayed due to some delayed Woodcraft rearset replacement parts.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
whoops nm

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Our supermoto group got a track day in April at Atlanta Motorsports Park on the kart section of the track. $55 for all day track riding so it should be pretty fun. Will be the first track day I've ever done so we'll see how this turns out.

Gonna take the DRZ out there. If there are any lurking sumo goons in or near ATL let me know and I'll get you the hookup.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Well a buddy and I decided to say gently caress off to the brutal Indiana winter. We signed up for Talladega GPR on March 21st if anyone wants to ride with slow kids in "B" group. I wanted to do Barber on that date with STT but is is sold out, and to be honest I don't like riding with them anyway, so it looks like Little Tally will do. I havn't ever ridden on that track though, it looks kinda boring but we will see.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm looking at doing Chuckwalla with Southbay Motorsports on March 6th or Arroyo Seco on March 7th. I've never been to either track... problem with Chuckwalla is that B group is sold out. I'd have no problem just signing up in A if I'd been there but...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Incursus posted:

Well a buddy and I decided to say gently caress off to the brutal Indiana winter. We signed up for Talladega GPR on March 21st if anyone wants to ride with slow kids in "B" group. I wanted to do Barber on that date with STT but is is sold out, and to be honest I don't like riding with them anyway, so it looks like Little Tally will do. I havn't ever ridden on that track though, it looks kinda boring but we will see.

Little Tally is a small relatively simple track but it's a lot of fun and usually cheap to run. Technical enough to make you want to come back a few times to figure out some of the corners and push a little bit. I've run primarily motards on it but have done a few laps on borrowed 600 race bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Next Dysturbed Ryders open day on June 1. BlackMK4, you should make the trip out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If I haven't created a work conflict by then then I'm in. :)

Edit: I signed up for Chuckwalla on 3/6. We will see what happens since I signed up for C. I really would like to run Laguna over the summer this year. Having a stock bike is nice for that, at least.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 26, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Chuckwalla is loving awesome. All flow. Bumped to B after my first session, got to play with a CR for a while. I was dragging kickstand everywhere so I had the suspension dudes set it up, haven't ridden it yet but there was 55mm sag before. :v: depending on how it feels I may bump to A.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uXEXZR3Lo

Short video from my third session at Chuckwalla.

Signed up for AMP on 3/22.

Bike is still bone stock other than rearsets. I really like it.

I think I'm going to get to one more track day next month at Chuckwalla then pull the bike completely apart to PC the frame, wheels, put a race fairing stay on, and mount race plastics. Summer looks like trying to do the open trackday with Z3n on 6/1 at Thunder Hill and maybe a day at Miller in Utah, if I have time. Trackdays don't really start back here until mid-September, and even then it's really loving hot, so realistically, October.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

It's weird that your track season is the exact opposite of mine. Nice outside passes 8)

• Locked thread