Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vendetta
Jun 30, 2002

I'm in pieces.

DancinBrud posted:

When this happened, I said to myself, "I hope somebody in the thread thinks this means he poisoned the guard, too" and you delivered. Thank you!

I will admit to having this as my first thought too... if you think about it, it's not outside the realm of possibility for this show. We've already established that Hydra infiltrated Shield from the beginning, and that infiltration started when they brought literal Nazis into the SSR via Operation Paperclip. We've also established that this new Leviathan organization is good enough to not only sniff Agent Carter out as a legitimate threat, but also to be able to plant deep-cover agents just to keep an eye on her.

Following this logic, when he gave that guard the breath mint, it made me think he could be with Hydra and was wanting to cover his tracks with the guard. The Chief being Hydra would lend an extra element to his somewhat far-fetched personal trip to Germany for information, since Hydra would no doubt be very interested in gathering information on this new Leviathan organization.

I quickly realized after he made the quip about the Nazi being a couple of inches taller that he's probably not Hydra, but it's fun to think about... and I think sooner than later we're going to see one or more SSR agents revealing they're not who we think they are. Just not the Chief. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendetta
Jun 30, 2002

I'm in pieces.

Xealot posted:

Wouldn't this also play into Winter Soldier? I don't recall how they explained Bucky; wasn't it that Armin Zola and some HYDRA ex-pats took him to the USSR after the war? I assumed they were using him as some RoboCop guinea pig for the Soviet analog to Project Rebirth.

Not that they're necessarily going to get Sebastian Stan (or Toby Jones for that matter), but I don't see why that'd be impossible. And they could certainly name-drop whoever they want.

When Cap found Bucky in CA1 he was being experimented on by Hydra - I believe that in CA2 they surmised that something Hydra did to him in CA1 allowed him to survive the fall from the train. He then was captured by the Russians and/or Hydra to be used as the cryo-super-soldier.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DancinBrud posted:

When this happened, I said to myself, "I hope somebody in the thread thinks this means he poisoned the guard, too" and you delivered. Thank you!

It's about time that Agent Carter had it's Ward/May controversy!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Vendetta posted:

I will admit to having this as my first thought too... if you think about it, it's not outside the realm of possibility for this show. We've already established that Hydra infiltrated Shield from the beginning, and that infiltration started when they brought literal Nazis into the SSR via Operation Paperclip. We've also established that this new Leviathan organization is good enough to not only sniff Agent Carter out as a legitimate threat, but also to be able to plant deep-cover agents just to keep an eye on her.

Following this logic, when he gave that guard the breath mint, it made me think he could be with Hydra and was wanting to cover his tracks with the guard. The Chief being Hydra would lend an extra element to his somewhat far-fetched personal trip to Germany for information, since Hydra would no doubt be very interested in gathering information on this new Leviathan organization.

I quickly realized after he made the quip about the Nazi being a couple of inches taller that he's probably not Hydra, but it's fun to think about... and I think sooner than later we're going to see one or more SSR agents revealing they're not who we think they are. Just not the Chief. Probably.

From how Zola describes it and how it plays out in CA2 and AoS, I think it's pretty clear that the Hydra infiltration of SHIELD started small and slowly spread over decades. It's not going to be an early chief or even a notable founder -- I'd be surprised if it was a founding agent at all rather than an untrusted, firewalled asset that slowly gains the trust of a handler or a sleeper or something like that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

It's about time that Agent Carter had it's Ward/May controversy!

Wait, so the chief shot the dog?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

No he gave it cyanide god pay attention.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Was the dog a Nazi?

Vendetta
Jun 30, 2002

I'm in pieces.
It was a cyanide bullet?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vendetta posted:

It was a cyanide bullet?

Maybe it was a sapphire bullet and we've been interpreting this thing wrong the whole time!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OB_Juan posted:

No he screwed the guard

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vendetta posted:

It was a cyanide bullet?

It was a time traveling knife bullet that acquits on the local.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

bobkatt013 posted:

It was a time traveling knife bullet that acquits on the local.

The only creative post in the umpteenth identical derail. Congrats.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

OB_Juan posted:

Was the dog a Nazi?

No. Hydra- totally not Nazis.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Prisons tend to have more then one guard. Just something I thought I'd throw out there.

eta- plus you know a cyanided war criminal and guard might make the papers.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
More about Dottie and the Black Widow thing from an interview with the showrunners:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/28/marvels-agent-carter-dottie-black-widow

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awesome, :smug:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That interrogation scene was pretty depressing. Sousa tries to be sympathetic, but Thompson gets the results by playing to the vet's vice. :smith: Loved the confrontation between Stark and Carter. Atwell and Cooper both nailed it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Am I the only one who found himself thinking"Oh,You're gonna be her bitch by the end of the series," after his little "it's the way of the universe" speech.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Agents of SHIELD season 2 return preview.

http://youtu.be/sX8zYa_E_kg

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The MSJ posted:

Oh yeah I love me some Daisy

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How the gently caress is this doing badly in the ratings?

It's a really creative show with great acting and a solid tie in brand. I'm honestly finding it far more consistently solid than SHIELD.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's a really creative show with great acting and a solid tie in brand. I'm honestly finding it far more consistently solid than SHIELD.

I read one review earlier today that called the latest episode boring, it made me wonder if they had been watching the same show as me.
I still like Shield more, but I think Agent Carter has been consistently good, and the pacing of the storytelling is one of the absolutely best things about it.
I wish we could have both shows on at the same time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

I still like Shield more, but I think Agent Carter has been consistently good,

I'm surprised anyone is watching Margie Carter if the highest praise you can pull out of your rear end is "It's not as good as Agents of SHIELD."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know a lot of people who honestly hate superhero poo poo. So they see Marvel on the label and run the other way, even though there has barely been any of that in AoS and AC. Other people see Marvel and WANT superhero stuff, which has barely been in these shows and makes them lose interest.

It's lose lose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also it's on ABC.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Are they really going to pull this "I'm going to keep what happened to me a secret" poo poo? If this gets dragged out over more than 20 minutes I'm going to be pissed.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

bamhand posted:

Are they really going to pull this "I'm going to keep what happened to me a secret" poo poo? If this gets dragged out over more than 20 minutes I'm going to be pissed.

The scenes showed Skye in medical quarantine so I get the feeling that everyone realizes some serious poo poo happened to her; Coulson was also told about it by Hyde. Frankly, Skye might not really know what exactly happened to her but I think it's clear that she and Coulson both know that something serious went down.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It was more the voice over saying how she had a dark secret after everyone has come to trust her. I hope you are right though!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I would like to remind all you nerd that at one point Black Window was Anastasia Romanov in 616, bad nerds for not knowing that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blazing Ownager posted:

The initial promos being really bad might have something to do with it, and does it even have a credible lead-in at 8?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bamhand posted:

It was more the voice over saying how she had a dark secret after everyone has come to trust her. I hope you are right though!

I wouldn't put too much stock in a trailer. For one thing, those thing are specifically designed to be as overly dramatic as possible. They're also not always handled by the actual people making the show so the whole "Make it seem like it's some huge dark secret" angle might not have even been their idea or what they're going for with the episode.

I mean, we had Coulson's ~*~mysterious past~*~ be a thing for like a dozen episodes too long so who knows, but they've seemed to learn from their mistakes from the first season so hopefully that's just some trailer fuckery.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't even think that's what the trailer was trying to convey anyways. The idea (at least to me), was more about how she was an accepted, trusted member of the team who has now had an upheaval that they do not understand. Nothing in that trailer implies that Skye is going to keep what happened to her secret, its the fact that what was inside her was a secret to everyone all along (including Skye herself), but its out there and they have to figure it out and deal with it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's not that great of a show. The acting is OK for what the show is, but it's nothing special.

It's got a lot of problems to deal with so I can understand why.

It's a limited run series. It has had almost no world building. It relies on the viewer to remember enough about this character and the world of CA1. It is also a period show.

It's doesn't tie into anything other than a movie, for the most part. A movie that came out years ago. Sure, it is in the same world as Agents of SHIELD and the Marvel franchise, but it has noting else to do with it. And its 50 years in the past.

It is only going to be an 8 episode run. So far, we're halfway through and we haven't even seen the outside threats to the SSR or any 'machinery' in place to see how it would transform into what SHIELD would be. So, still, nothing really ties it into the present other than we know that this is SHIELD's predecessor.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Oh, hi Peggy.

http://www.zap2it.com/videos/zap2it-first-dum-dum-dugan-reunites-with-peggy-in-this-agent-carter-clip-881508

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blazing Ownager posted:

First, it's a period spy drama, which is an inherently niche genre by broadcast network standards.

Secondly, it has "Marvel" and "Agent" in the title, a combination unlikely to endear it to anyone who didn't stick with SHIELD.

I think at the time ABC ordered this to series, their expectations for SHIELD S2 were that it would grow or at least retain its audience from S1, but it hasn't panned out that way.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 30, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

It's not that great of a show. The acting is OK for what the show is, but it's nothing special.

It's got a lot of problems to deal with so I can understand why.

It's a limited run series. It has had almost no world building. It relies on the viewer to remember enough about this character and the world of CA1. It is also a period show.

It's doesn't tie into anything other than a movie, for the most part. A movie that came out years ago. Sure, it is in the same world as Agents of SHIELD and the Marvel franchise, but it has noting else to do with it. And its 50 years in the past.

It is only going to be an 8 episode run. So far, we're halfway through and we haven't even seen the outside threats to the SSR or any 'machinery' in place to see how it would transform into what SHIELD would be. So, still, nothing really ties it into the present other than we know that this is SHIELD's predecessor.

What grates me the most is the show's depiction of the patriarchal 1940s America. It could have been interesting as a subtle undercurrent, but the writers insist on making it a major theme of the show and beating the audience over the head with overt sexism in every single episode. The part where Thompson flat out tells Carter that "it's the natural order of things in the universe" almost made me turn it off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That got to me, as did Stark's glass ceiling speech (the term was coined in the late 80s). I get that they want to hit the sexism button for some reason, but its hard to shout "you show 'em Peggy!" when these guys aren't bad guys, per se, but good guys who were born and raised under a different value system. I mean, everybody at the SSR is a former soldier, a good cop and a family man. There's nothing to hate about them except the way disrespect Peggy (the impact of which, ironically enough, is undercut by Peggy's undercover work. In helping Stark, Peggy is the "bad guy" from a purely objective standpoint). I'm not about to condemn these guys because they don't conform to late 20th century feminist ideals (girls can do anything guys can do) or even 21st century feminist ideals (girls are incapable of excelling due to the patriarchy) when they are 1) living and working in the 1950s and 2) explicitly written to exploit and offend modern sensibilities.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's almost like sexism at the time wasn't actually subtle at all and portraying it as such would be super disingenuous and do a disservice to one of the major themes of the show...

If only they had some subtlety to it. You know, like the ads at the time did:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It wasn't a "subtle undercurrent" back then. Hell, it isn't a subtle undercurrent now, especially among the kind of people who'd watch this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

It's almost like sexism at the time wasn't actually subtle at all and portraying it as such would be super disingenuous and do a disservice to one of the major themes of the show...

If only they had some subtlety to it. You know, like the ads at the time did:

You understand that's a joke and not a social statement, right? I know goons are dumb, but they're not that dumb.

• Locked thread