Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

sisyphus.gif

edit: Content

Birb Katter has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Expected dickbutt, left disappointed.

Content:

(5000 Fingers of Dr T, in case you're wondering)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

So much better with music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYq-c5OdGw

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder how long it will take for that pug to become a SA banner ad for Aggrogator.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Car with animated cartoon arms added
http://i.imgur.com/NXHrtUo.webm

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

E: Actually a higher quality would be nice if anyone has it.

AtomD has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jan 30, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Kindergarten Cop is not a bad film :colbert:

Unrelated:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Haruharuharuko posted:

Car with animated cartoon arms added
http://i.imgur.com/NXHrtUo.webm

So wait. How did that car not manage to slow down at all... Does the driver not know about breaks? Like, they're slipping and sliding all over the loving place, but the driver apparently still has their foot on the gas. What the gently caress.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Mogomra posted:

So wait. How did that car not manage to slow down at all... Does the driver not know about breaks? Like, they're slipping and sliding all over the loving place, but the driver apparently still has their foot on the gas. What the gently caress.

Vodka

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mogomra posted:

It's pretty majorly downhill. If you've lost traction, brakes aren't going to help you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mogomra posted:

It's an icy hill. Ice = low coefficient of friction, so there's not much to stop the car, even if the driver were braking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also the driver had probably just locked up their brakes and was keeping the brake pedal floored while trying to turn the steering wheel to where they wanted to be, not to where they're going no matter what. It's possible to regain traction, but not if you fight what's happening.

holttho
May 21, 2007

gta_civilians.gif

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Mogomra posted:

You've never driven in a truly winter environment, have you?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

holttho posted:

gta_civilians.gif

Yes, that is literally and precisely :thejoke:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mogomra posted:

Slamming the brakes won't stop the car sliding, but it will stop you from exerting any control over where it goes. Most ice accidents happen because the driver slams the brakes, loses control of the vehicle, and goes carreening into the first tree or lamp post in the way. Other than being in a completely inappropriate car for icy conditions, the driver did the exact right thing.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

GLORIFY

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kajeesus posted:

Slamming the brakes won't stop the car sliding, but it will stop you from exerting any control over where it goes. Most ice accidents happen because the driver slams the brakes, loses control of the vehicle, and goes carreening into the first tree or lamp post in the way. Other than being in a completely inappropriate car for icy conditions, the driver did the exact right thing.is a loving idiot with the wrong tires on their car for winter driving.

ftfy

Notice how the person with the camera never loses control. It's almost as if 4wd does nothing if you have lovely tires.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
How many people actually switch their tires for winter? I certainly don't and I've never had a problem with snow. Live in Washington, so snow is usually only on the ground a couple weeks out of the year.

You don't "need" winter tires to drive in snow. If you drive in snow a LOT then it might be worth it, but not for most people in most states.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Apogee15 posted:

How many people actually switch their tires for winter? I certainly don't and I've never had a problem with snow. Live in Washington, so snow is usually only on the ground a couple weeks out of the year.

You don't "need" winter tires to drive in snow. If you drive in snow a LOT then it might be worth it, but not for most people in most states.

When the shittiest snow tires work better than the best all-seasons, it's loving dumb not to have a beater set for winter.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

Good for you I guess but not everyone lives in a place with 0 snow, and this clearly includes the people in that gif who should've put on some god drat winter tires

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

It's not how much snow is on the ground, it's the temperature. Winter tires have better grip in the cold (under 7C) due to a different rubber compound mix in them.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Krowley posted:

Good for you I guess but not everyone lives in a place with 0 snow, and this clearly includes the people in that gif who should've put on some god drat winter tires

Where I live there is often just as much snow as in that gif. Yeah, snow tires would have helped, but the main problem was that the person clearly doesn't know how to drive in the snow.

And no, paying a few hundred dollars for a set of snow tires i'll use for a few weeks out of the year and then have to store for the rest of the year doesn't make sense. In an emergency I can always pull over and put on some $40 chains that are easy to store in the back of my car and it'd work just fine, but the only time i've ever needed to do that is when I go skiing on the pass.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

When the shittiest snow tires work better than the best all-seasons, it's loving dumb not to have a beater set for winter.

It's kinda dumb to buy a set of seasonal tires if you aren't retarded. I live in Wisconsin and don't personally know a single person who switches out their tires in the winter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr Executive posted:

It's kinda dumb to buy a set of seasonal tires if you aren't retarded. I live in Wisconsin and don't personally know a single person who switches out their tires in the winter.

Are you claiming that people who live in Wisconsin aren't necessarily retarded? :confused:

I mean granted, it's not like they live in Minnesota, but still.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You can spot the all seasoners when you live in NY and they're amusing as long as they aren't sliding your way.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
As someone who drives heavy vehicles in Sweden for a living, let me address a few things.

veedubfreak posted:

ftfy

Notice how the person with the camera never loses control. It's almost as if 4wd does nothing if you have lovely tires.
4x4 helps you speed up on snowy or icy roads. It does gently caress all to help you bring the speed down.
And as you said, yes the biggest problem is that people are loving idiots. Tyres aren't even the biggest issue, speed is. Snow or ice and the distance you need to come to a full stop triples or even quadruples.
If you don't account for that either by lowering your speed, or increase the distance to the vehicle in front of you (which of course does nothing if something or someone unexpectedly jumps up in front of you), then you'll have a problem if you need to brake.

Apogee15 posted:

Over here you're required by law to have winter tyres during the winter months and when required by the local road conditions. But laws aside, a good set of summer tyres might have better grip on ice than a lovely set of winter tyres. It depends entirely on the rubber mix they're made of. See next point.

Tochiazuma posted:

It's not how much snow is on the ground, it's the temperature. Winter tires have better grip in the cold (under 7C) due to a different rubber compound mix in them.
This is the rule of thumb, yes. Rubber gets hard when it's cold, harder rubber have less friction against whatever surface it's rolling on. That means that generally winter tyres are made of a different rubber mix that stays softer at lower temperatures. This also means that if you keep winter tyres on all year round (maybe someone called them year-round tyres, which is a lie) the rubber is going to be too soft for warm conditions. This doesn't really affect your driving in any way, but it means that the tyres'll wear down much faster.
But as I said above, the mix can also vary depending on how cheap the tyres were.

Regardless, no matter how good your tyres, fancy anti-spin systems, ABS brakes, etc you have, doesn't matter much if you can't drive. And I see multiple people daily who drive like they got their driver's license in a cereal box.

Oh, and have this work-related (for me) gif.

(Click the gif for source)

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Mr Executive posted:

Odd. I lived in Maine and it was the opposite for me. I knew plenty of people who had a set of winter tires, including myself.

Related content:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
As someone who knows more people who haven't seen snow than have I find the idea of winter tyres quite amusing. It's possible you can't buy the things on the continent at all. People still shouldn't be allowed to drive because they suck at it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Krowley posted:

Thank god the tow truck driver bailed in time. That is what happened, right? I didn't just watch someone die?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Mr Executive posted:

I'm in WI, and I have winter tires. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority though. on the other hand, I live on a hill, so just getting to my driveway during the winter can be an adventure all by itself.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

FredMSloniker posted:

Thank god the tow truck driver bailed in time. That is what happened, right? I didn't just watch someone die?
Yeah he bailed in time. The driver of the other truck survived with nothing more than a broken arm. It happened in Norway a few years back.

E:

jamal posted:

Not even close. Pretty much any winter specific tire is going to work better on snow or ice than a summer tire. Summer tires, which as you said don't have a compound designed for cold, also don't have the siping and tread block design that creates traction on ice (without studs). I have a pretty decent set of high performance summer tires (hankook v12 evo), and they have zero grip in the winter- dry, snow, ice, whatever. Makes my Subaru completely undriveable. I jabbed on the brakes when it was around freezing on dry pavement and they just locked up immediately. I also tried driving up a slight incline in the snow to get off the street for plows and barely made it. In contrast, the set of used low end snow tires I have will go pretty much anywhere.

A decent modern all-season tire on the other hand is a decent compromise and will work mostly fine on snow and ice. Probably better than snow tires from 10-15 years ago.
Granted, it's an extreme but a really good summer tyre can grip better on ice than an exceedingly lovely winter one. But in all other 99.9% of cases you're right. Just don't buy winter tyres from China for a quarter of the price compared to anything else.

Groetgaffel has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 30, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Groetgaffel posted:

But laws aside, a good set of summer tyres might have better grip on ice than a lovely set of winter tyres. It depends entirely on the rubber mix they're made of. See next point.

Not even close. Pretty much any winter specific tire is going to work better on snow or ice than a summer tire. Summer tires, which as you said don't have a compound meant for cold, also don't have the siping and tread block design that creates traction on ice (without studs). I have a pretty decent set of high performance summer tires (hankook v12 evo), and they have zero grip in the winter- dry, snow, ice, whatever. Makes my Subaru completely undriveable. I jabbed on the brakes when it was around freezing on dry pavement and they just locked up immediately. I also tried driving up a slight incline in the snow to get off the street for plows and barely made it. In contrast, the set of used low end snow tires I have will go pretty much anywhere.

A decent modern all-season tire on the other hand is a decent compromise and will work mostly fine on snow and ice. Probably better than snow tires from 10-15 years ago.

Anyhow, here's a gif

jamal has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 30, 2015

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth