Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

loquacius posted:

I still don't get why Muir seems to think cowboy hats are such a universal panty-dropper (except for the fact that the Ladies Love Conservatives narrative fits his worldview). Is it a red-state thing or is he just making poo poo up?

Muir seems to think that Texas is just the awesomest (see also: Zed constantly sucking down Shiner Bock), so I guess it makes a demented sort of sense that in the DbD world, all the ladies love a Texan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gravel Gravy posted:

If I recall right they have also had a history of not allowing inspectors into certain sites, though I don't know how compliant they've been lately.

Also depends on how they view it. Going off of the security dilemma, if they become the only actors with nukes that would only cause others to step up and perhaps cause Israel to reconsider it's stance should they disarm. I'm just not sure they'd think it'd be worth it.

The security dilemma is absolutely a key part of any state's foreign policy calculations and is an important factor in Iran's as well. Unlike, I would argue, North Korea, Iran is a rational actor. They know perfectly well that being the lone MENA nuclear state would not be in their interest (which is why Israeli denial of their nuclear assets is so important). More than that though, they know that the United States would never accept Iranian nuclear missiles, and while they might be able to strike an aircraft carrier or something we're really really really good at blowing poo poo up.

Terrible at nation building mind, but there's literally nothing stopping the United States from turning a continent to glass on the merest whim. It's that very power that's been so effective at reducing great-great power war since the collapse of the USSR.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Is it customary for the enemy to greet paratroopers with bouquets, or do they carry them on the way down?

So... age six, then.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Iron Rose posted:

The security dilemma is absolutely a key part of any state's foreign policy calculations and is an important factor in Iran's as well. Unlike, I would argue, North Korea, Iran is a rational actor. They know perfectly well that being the lone MENA nuclear state would not be in their interest (which is why Israeli denial of their nuclear assets is so important). More than that though, they know that the United States would never accept Iranian nuclear missiles, and while they might be able to strike an aircraft carrier or something we're really really really good at blowing poo poo up.

Terrible at nation building mind, but there's literally nothing stopping the United States from turning a continent to glass on the merest whim. It's that very power that's been so effective at reducing great-great power war since the collapse of the USSR.

Exactly so if Israel disarmed its nuclear program what reason would Iran have to have nuclear arms? As you said Iran has no real ability to strike the US that is comparable with the US or other western states could do so once Israel is no longer a nuclear threat then why bother?

So where is our disagreement coming from?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I'm on the mafia's side. Kamala Harris is a much stronger candidate than Antonio Villaraigosa to replace Barbara Boxer.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Garrand posted:

Cmon, Loquacius, you're giving Allie the benefit of the doubt here.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, uhhh

So...
1 : I
2 : II
3 : III
4 : IV
5 : V
6 : VI
7 : VII
8 : VIII
8 : IIX ?
9 : IY ? (Yes, it's probably supposed to be an X)
10 X
[/quote]

Not to reignite romannumeralgate, but just a fun fact, romans didn't actually use IV, that's a modern invention, they used IIII. Not that Moses was around in Roman times anyway, but whatevs. Grandfather clocks are the only things with correct roman numeral display around.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gravel Gravy posted:

Exactly so if Israel disarmed its nuclear program what reason would Iran have to have nuclear arms? As you said Iran has no real ability to strike the US that is comparable with the US or other western states could do so once Israel is no longer a nuclear threat then why bother?

So where is our disagreement coming from?

Israel's nuclear weapons have impact on Iranian nuclear ambitions, but there are other factors that are also key. None of those factors override the constraints of American Hegemony on state action.

So while I don't think Iran is going to seek nuclear arms as an end goal if Israel disarms its nuclear program, I also don't think they're going to seek nuclear arms as an end goal if Israel keeps its nuclear weapons. I've never been convinced of the merits of nuclear proliferation as a path towards global peace, since the comparative destructive power of warfare has rarely made significant impact on state action. Keep in mind that this is from Iran's point of view and thus contributes to Iran's interest.

Israel's point of view and Israel's interests are very different, and they have every reason to keep what nuclear arms they have currently. Nuclear weapons are tricky. They can be intensely destabilizing when introduced, which is why Israel gives the other Arab states an out by not confirming their nuclear program, but also remarkably stabilizing, which is why Israel's existence as a state hasn't been seriously threatened in decades, in large part because of its nuclear security.

I'm not really sure if we disagree on any real point here, I'm just trying to outline the basic security concerns that states in the MENA region deal with, and why I think that Israeli disarmament wouldn't alter Iranian ambitions much at all.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 30, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not to reignite romannumeralgate, but just a fun fact, romans didn't actually use IV, that's a modern invention, they used IIII. Not that Moses was around in Roman times anyway, but whatevs. Grandfather clocks are the only things with correct roman numeral display around.

My understanding is that both forms were used even by the Romans, and that there were a fair number of other nonstandard usages as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#Alternative_forms
The system leaves a lot of room for ambiguity.

Anyways, cartoons!

OBAMA WHY ARE YOU SO SOFT ON TERROR

But, drones?

Pitiable Kenyan!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

So...
1 : I
2 : II
3 : III
4 : IV
5 : V
6 : VI
7 : VII
8 : VIII
8 : IIX ?
9 : IY ? (Yes, it's probably supposed to be an X)
10 X

Pretty sure they do use IV at least sometimes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Actually, they were remarkably correct about the 24 hour forecast. Meteorology is incredible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I get the feeling Lisa Benson doesn't get the same talking points memo that the rest of the right-wing cartoonists get.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Has anybody else been complaining about immigrants this week?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everyone once in awhile we claim somebody is the worst, but the worst was definitely Electronic Tigers. It was just so embarrassing. I can't believe he did things for DC.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I really want a cartoon that's just a bunch of benjamins each with the I Voted sticker on them. That Toles is getting close to that dream.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

alnilam posted:

Actually, they were remarkably correct about the 24 hour forecast. Meteorology is incredible.
Also, meteorology is not climatology. Hope this helps, McKee.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Meanwhile, Stantis and Allie keep ranting about their self-censored cartoons being censored.

This is seriously one of the most chickenshit things I've seen a cartoonist do.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Every time I see another lovely one of those cartoons, I get more rustled over how it's trying to ape Calvin and Hobbes. Just the worst.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone once in awhile we claim somebody is the worst, but the worst was definitely Electronic Tigers. It was just so embarrassing. I can't believe he did things for DC.

That dude doesn't even move the needle in terms of comic book creators with really hosed up politics and opinions.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rick McKee posted:

I'm a sophist idiot who doesn't know how to separate "weather" and "climate." Scientists are leisure-suit con artists. Make McKee's brain hurt.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Meanwhile, Stantis and Allie keep ranting about their self-censored cartoons being censored.

Allie sure does love to rag on people for tweeting and hashtag activism. Those have their obvious limits, but that poo poo is rich coming from a cool bro who sits around retweeting GamerGate and Jonah Goldberg poo poo all day.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

What does the writer think a paywall is exactly?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

Are we sure that is a censor box of Muhammad? The big black box might just be the Kaaba

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone ask McKee if he can predict the next time he flips a coin whether it will be heads or tails and if he can predict if he does it 100 times what the distribution will be? Thanks.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lemming posted:

Can someone ask McKee if he can predict the next time he flips a coin whether it will be heads or tails and if he can predict if he does it 100 times what the distribution will be? Thanks.

McKee has countered his critics on Facebook by linking to this yahoo.

Definitely not a crank posted:

Government climate experts say that the US faces dangerous overheating, because they are paid to lie. There isn’t one shred of evidence to suggest that the US is getting hot.

Scientists are all wrong, but McKee trusts this guy.

Great bang for your buck, Augusta Chronicle.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Fuckin' :lol: Benson is so married to having one character go :stare: in every single one of her cartoons that she has the Hispanic woman on the other side of the border give the Benson stare.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Higher profits and lower wages means longer leashes, i.e., more freedom. A bad cartoon.

quote:

"Only New York Counts" - Augusta cartoonist Rick McKee and Pittsburgh cartoonist Randy Bish.

I live in the quiet corner of Connecticut and frankly I'm kind of glad I was alerted to the two and a half feet of snow I got.

And I know it's a few pages back, and I'm not a huge fan of the whole "homophobes are closet cases" argument in general, but Jesus Christ if Mike Miller doesn't make closet case arguments against homosexuality. "Of course loving dudes is awesome, but, my life expectancy!!"

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Barack Obama confirmed for Saints Row V

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Fuckin' :lol: Benson -- the Hispanic woman on the other side of the border

Those people are white as hell. Either they're Canadian or Americans finally found the key to opening our border and are about to put out the Welcome Mat.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So this cartoon will receive the same kind of anti-racist backlash the cartoon about Obama liking watermelon flavored toothpaste received, right?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That costume is more "fly" than "rad", Gary, get your loving 90s slang straight.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Pretty sure they do use IV at least sometimes.

Like spelling and many rules of grammar, the standardized notation of Roman numerals is a modern invention. It would not be uncommon to see "VIIII" or "XIIX." It takes until the late 1800s before the rules become fixed.

Weird detail to get hung up on in a political cartoon.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Close your eyes and picture someone saying "rad." Do you see a surfer dude / ninja turtle? I know I do.

I wonder what it is about Obama that made McCoy want to portray him as a "hood" rapper guy...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Why is Scott Stantis still credited for Prickley City, anyway? It's pretty apparent that Allie both draws and writes it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Unironically claiming that depicting another, historically significant person and putting words in his mouth is a matter of free speech is kind of an interesting stance, if by "interesting" I mean "dumb as hell," and I do.

What in the immediate gently caress

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know I already complained about this one, but ugh. The meteorologist is saying sorry. "Sorry, sorry I gave an 80% chance of a major snowstorm, and you rightfully took steps to be prepared, and new york happened to roll an 85. Sorry. But you have to admit it's pretty drat incredible we could make these predictions at all. But still, sorry. Oops."

Even if you don't understand predictions with uncertainty/probability (if people did, "weatherman bad" wouldn't be a thing), why is everyone so furious that they took steps to be prepared? Ugh, we got out all these salt trucks for nothing, better not even bother next time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Why is Scott Stantis still credited for Prickley City, anyway? It's pretty apparent that Allie both draws and writes it.

Jim Davis is still credited for Garfield and I can't imagine he still contributes in any wya either :shrug:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

alnilam posted:

I know I already complained about this one, but ugh. The meteorologist is saying sorry. "Sorry, sorry I gave an 80% chance of a major snowstorm, and you rightfully took steps to be prepared, and new york happened to roll an 85. Sorry. But you have to admit it's pretty drat incredible we could make these predictions at all. But still, sorry. Oops."

Even if you don't understand predictions with uncertainty/probability (if people did, "weatherman bad" wouldn't be a thing), why is everyone so furious that they took steps to be prepared? Ugh, we got out all these salt trucks for nothing, better not even bother next time.
If all the "if Global Warming, why snow" cartoons haven't gotten it through your head, most people literally don't know the difference between weather and climate. "If no snow like you said, then how global warming" is the same thing.

loquacius posted:

Jim Davis is still credited for Garfield and I can't imagine he still contributes in any wya either :shrug:
Prickley City isn't Garfield and Scott Stantis isn't Jim Davis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

loquacius posted:

Actually, he still does draw and write Grafield, even to this day. He has, like, a staff of four other people to help digitize and colour- but Jim Davis still does draw.

• Locked thread