Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

So sixteenth inch wide brake pads will exert the same braking force as 3 inch wide pads, assuming the overall rotor diameter is the same?

It's the same way in that a bigger tire contact patch doesn't necessarily give you more static grip. The equation for friction doesn't include surface area.

Bigger pads probably shed heat more effectively by transferring it to the face of the rotor/the air, which would resist fade/fluid boiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Geoj posted:

So sixteenth inch wide brake pads will exert the same braking force as 3 inch wide pads, assuming the overall rotor diameter is the same?

Yes. If the force is applied at the same radius in both cases, the friction force (and thus the braking force) will be identical. Changing the surface area of the pad does not alter the force being applied to the pad for the same reason that larger shoes do not make you weigh more. Google Amontons' 1st and 2nd Laws.

Savington fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 29, 2015

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP
Is this the first "review" of the ND? http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/mx-5/90230/mazda-mx-5-15-skyactiv-g-2015-review (I realize the title says 2015, but it's clearly about the 2016 model.)

I want one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crabby Abby posted:

Is this the first "review" of the ND? http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/mx-5/90230/mazda-mx-5-15-skyactiv-g-2015-review (I realize the title says 2015, but it's clearly about the 2016 model.)

I want one.

I wonder if that 155hp motor is coming to the rest of the world.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jalopnik citing driving.ca for the 2.0L making 155hp/148ft-lbs. The 2.0L makes 150ft-lbs in the Mazda3 so I don't know where those 2 lbs went... I'm sure mnetters are losing their minds right now.

I'm cool with 155hp, I just want it posted by Mazda proper.

quote:

Well, now that the 2.0 is not that great of a engine, I would most likely prefer the rev happy 1.5. Similar to how most people preferred the NA's 1.6 over 1.8. I prefer to have a good 1.5 engine than a mediocre 2.0.

Lolololololol

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/30/2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-first-drive-review-video/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/news/a24888/first-drive-2016-mazda-mx5-miata/

Specs look good and these previews are all really positive. Is M.net massively spergin out?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Yeah, they're all making GBS threads their pants about how hard they're not going to buy the car and how Mazda doesn't know what they're doing.

As much as I hate to buy another black car, the ND looks pretty nice in black.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Obviously mazda is saving the twin turbo 400 hp version for year 3 after demand drops off.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Oh, that does look pretty good in black. I wasn't feeling the red at all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was just looking through poo poo I've posted in this thread and found this from October:

quote:

I just came back from automotive survey featuring 2 ND miatas, one with soft top right hand drive like the one we saw in Monterey. One with targa/power retractable hardtop concept. They are being comparing against Audi TT, BMW Z4, Toyota FRS and Mini copper convertible. 

The final number for miata is 155hp with 148ft/lbs and 2300lbs for soft top and 2400lbs for retractable hardtop concept. Retractable hard top / targa has panorama roof like the SLK. 

The interior of the new ND feel smaller than my current NC. The door is higher or the seat is lower than current NC. Six speed manual is standard with keyless start stop. Navigation is on the Japanese model but doesn't know if American model have the navigation option. The navigation display is the Same as the new Mazda 3. 

Soft top starting price in 30,495 and retractable hardtop/targa is 32,985

Has the 155/148 number. Hmm.

Mazda USA's press site has the 155/148 in a table. The tears must flow.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 30, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's going to be hard for me to resist picking up a PRHT ND once that variant is available.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, the doors are lower than on my '97? That's pretty crazy, I might have to go test out one of these when they come out here. Maybe I can trade my black '97 for a black '15.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hey so I might be relocating across the country and I can't really take my NA with me, is Carmax a lovely lovely option for selling an old miata? I'm not super keen on tire-kicking craigslisters. The cars in great shape except for the roof...

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey so I might be relocating across the country and I can't really take my NA with me, is Carmax a lovely lovely option for selling an old miata? I'm not super keen on tire-kicking craigslisters. The cars in great shape except for the roof...

I have no idea what they will offer you, but I sold my last car to CarMax and it was a painless, no pressure process. Worth a shot if you want to get rid of it fast.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Kastivich posted:

I have no idea what they will offer you, but I sold my last car to CarMax and it was a painless, no pressure process. Worth a shot if you want to get rid of it fast.

Its a 93 in near-perfect condish save the raggy top, new paint job and only 140k on the clock. original everything except the speakers which were disintegrated when I bought them. KBB thinks its worth about fifty bucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Put it on the ai marketplace thread mybe a goon would want to buy it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, I would see what they offer you and then throw it on CL for a little more, but cheaper than what others are going for locally. It'll sell quick most likely unless you're in a place with real winter currently since there's not much demand.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

quote:

Is it the best Miata ever? Clearly
Good enough for me.

It sounds like the 1.5 is designed for Japan, the 2.0 is for America and American tastes. Wonder which everywhere else will get?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edmund Honda posted:

Good enough for me.

It sounds like the 1.5 is designed for Japan, the 2.0 is for America and American tastes. Wonder which everywhere else will get?

Europe has both options. I'm guessing most Asian markets will only have the 1.5L.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Americans need the extra hp to tote around our fat asses :v:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/15/05/980x490/2016_mazda_miata016.jpg

Units on the temperature gauge...could this be the return of the non-idiot oil pressure gauge as well?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The amount of moaning and gnashing of teeth on m.net about how this car (ND) will get passed by Siennas and how their clapped out NA is still the superior vehicle. What the gently caress ever. The supposed NA purists can piss up a flagpole. *comforts his NC moonbuggy*

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've found the perfect car that I want to buy, but I'm realizing I don't think a miata will work for me again. :( I really want a nice street/track car but since the miata is a vert you have to have a rollbar, which is a pain in the rear end if you're 6'1". Because then you need a race seat mounted to the floor with the rear seat mounts cut out of the chassis and then it starts to become less streetable. I had a 94 and did all of this, and I'm not sure if I want to do it again. The race seat sucked (Sparco Sprint V) and sitting on the floor you have basically no padding. I'd like the car to be fun on track but not sacrifice comfort to get there.

Anybody have any thoughts? I've been debating this in my head for a couple days now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

dema posted:

Oh, that does look pretty good in black. I wasn't feeling the red at all.

Add a tan interior and I'll be ready to finance my life away. :getin:

Phone posted:

Europe has both options. I'm guessing most Asian markets will only have the 1.5L.

I wouldn't be surprised if Japan had both options. They sold both the NB6 and NB8 here after all.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Larrymer posted:

...tall guy miata

Anybody have any thoughts? I've been debating this in my head for a couple days now.

I've been thinking about the exact same poo poo for years. I think there are a couple of answers:
944 (ugh maint, turbo lag)
FRS/brz (but price, gutless)
E30 (overpriced, old maint)
Rx-8?
Civic/integra (fwd)
Fox body :v:

All these cars are heavier than a miata (except maybe the civic). Aside from the 86 their ability to fit tall drivers is questionable, but probably better than a Miata. I think the 86 is known to be great for drivers of all sizes, I just might be disappointed in the power level after spending $20-25k.

At the end of the day I'm still surfing craigslist for another NA though. Rollbar and lovely seat be damned.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 31, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Hog Obituary posted:

I've been thinking about the exact same poo poo for years. I think there are a couple of answers:
944 (ugh maint, turbo lag)
FRS/brz (but price, gutless)
E30 (overpriced, old maint)
Rx-8?
Civic/integra (fwd)
Fox body :v:

All these cars are heavier than a miata (except maybe the civic). Aside from the 86 their ability to fit tall drivers is questionable, but probably better than a Miata. I think the 86 is known to be great for drivers of all sizes, I just might be disappointed in the power level after spending $20-25k.

At the end of the day I'm still surfing craigslist for another NA though. Rollbar and lovely seat be damned.

S2000 is better than all those cars :v:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Hikaki posted:

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/15/05/980x490/2016_mazda_miata016.jpg

Units on the temperature gauge...could this be the return of the non-idiot oil pressure gauge as well?

Is that digital? If so, I bet it's still an idiot gauge.

For the alternative to a Miata: if I was tall, I'd look hard at an older Mustang GT. Guys at autocross seem to have fun in them and I'd imagine parts are relatively cheap.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been asking myself a similar rhetorical question to Coredump's. I'd like a street car that's equivalent to a hardtop Miata for driving in the wet season, as I can't see worth a drat in a Miata with the top up or a hard top latched on, even with foamectomy (traffic lights are above the windscreen for me, I have a long trunk). I pretty much only drive my NA with the top down and the knowledge that I will fail the broomstick test. I have the Saabaru but can't really enjoy it without excessive speeding.

But yeah, light, cheap, fixed roof, backseat would be nice - natural response is E30, but all the E30s have been mutilated.

Other rhetorical question, I wonder how fast in a line the 2.0 ND will be compared to the S2k.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

blk posted:

Other rhetorical question, I wonder how fast in a line the 2.0 ND will be compared to the S2k.
C&D are guessing 6.5s for the 2.0 ND, same as what they got out of the 2.0 NC.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Edmund Honda posted:

C&D are guessing 6.5s for the 2.0 ND, same as what they got out of the 2.0 NC.

That's assuming it's 155/148 right? They cranked out quite a bit out of the 1.5 then they generally do in other markets. If the 2.0 is similarly tuned we could be looking at 170-180hp. May be wishful thinking however.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

howling_mad posted:

That's assuming it's 155/148 right? They cranked out quite a bit out of the 1.5 then they generally do in other markets. If the 2.0 is similarly tuned we could be looking at 170-180hp. May be wishful thinking however.

The Mazda reps quoted 155/148 to all of the journalists at the event, that's what it is going to be

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

I've been asking myself a similar rhetorical question to Coredump's. I'd like a street car that's equivalent to a hardtop Miata for driving in the wet season, as I can't see worth a drat in a Miata with the top up or a hard top latched on, even with foamectomy (traffic lights are above the windscreen for me, I have a long trunk). I pretty much only drive my NA with the top down and the knowledge that I will fail the broomstick test. I have the Saabaru but can't really enjoy it without excessive speeding.

But yeah, light, cheap, fixed roof, backseat would be nice - natural response is E30, but all the E30s have been mutilated.

240sx? Or maybe a Z3 coupe. But pretty much the things you want are the same things every enthusiast wants, so cars meeting those criteria get inflated prices since clean non-thrashed examples of such cars only get rarer with age. Which is why Miatas end up being the end choice for so many, since with millions of them sold they're one of the few enthusiast cars that's stayed consistently cheap, just from sheer volume flooding the market.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's also hard to destroy/ruin a Miata. They are really durable and not very expensive to work on if they do break. Parts are also everywhere too

There is no reason to ever own a Z3 other than "must have a bmw roadster and can't afford a Z4"

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So my NA is shaking between 65 and 70 mph again. Last time this happened I took it in for a rim test and RoadForce, shop said I needed to replace one wheel which was bent, another wheel was borderline but they said they could balance it out. Replaced and balanced as necessary, car still shook, had tires replaced under warranty (Les Schwab from PO, Toyo Eclipses on there now). Everything was fine for a few hundred miles and now I'm shaking again. I'm going to go back for another rim test, but what else should I look at that would cause uneven wear so fast on new tires? Tie rods? Ball joints? Anything else?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

It's also hard to destroy/ruin a Miata. They are really durable and not very expensive to work on if they do break. Parts are also everywhere too

There is no reason to ever own a Z3 other than "must have a bmw roadster and can't afford a Z4"

He said Z3 coupe, big difference. Personally I'd go with a Z4 coupe if I wanted a hard top and could actually afford one :(

blk posted:

So my NA is shaking between 65 and 70 mph again. Last time this happened I took it in for a rim test and RoadForce, shop said I needed to replace one wheel which was bent, another wheel was borderline but they said they could balance it out. Replaced and balanced as necessary, car still shook, had tires replaced under warranty (Les Schwab from PO, Toyo Eclipses on there now). Everything was fine for a few hundred miles and now I'm shaking again. I'm going to go back for another rim test, but what else should I look at that would cause uneven wear so fast on new tires? Tie rods? Ball joints? Anything else?

Needs an alignment if it hasn't had one recently. Other than that all I can tell you is that the 65mph shimmy is pretty normal and for some Miatas it's almost impossible to get rid of. On a '91 I got rid of it installing a PPF brace so YMMV, you may never get rid of it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

blk posted:

65mph shimmy

you've probably seen this already, but in case not: http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

S2000 is better than all those cars :v:

Sure, if you're shorter than 5'8". I made a NB work as my daily driver for five years; I can't drive a S2000 for five feet.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Edmund Honda posted:

The Mazda reps quoted 155/148 to all of the journalists at the event, that's what it is going to be

:(

Ugh, what I was reading on other forums was a bit unclear. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be a joy regardless.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

leica posted:

Needs an alignment if it hasn't had one recently. Other than that all I can tell you is that the 65mph shimmy is pretty normal and for some Miatas it's almost impossible to get rid of. On a '91 I got rid of it installing a PPF brace so YMMV, you may never get rid of it.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4538&stocknumber=13-69010

Get this. its amazing for pretty much all NVH under and behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No chassis stiffening, remember? It's pointless :colbert: