Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kassad posted:

Can't be the problem, I've also got a Nexus 4 running 5.0.1 and it doesn't overheat like this.

Didn't hooah replace his non-user-replaceable N4 battery recently though? I mean we need full disclosure here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Didn't hooah replace his non-user-replaceable N4 battery recently though? I mean we need full disclosure here!

It's true, I did. I believe the replacement to be OEM, as far as I can tell, and I think I did the replacement correctly. I also replaced the daughter board.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm not saying it's a definite problem, just fairer to let people know if you're looking to troubleshoot, y'know?

You could try going into Developer Options in the phone and turn on Show CPU Usage or whatever, and see if anything in the app gives you spikes. There'll be a lot of activity in there in general, but if you watch the app process you can see if it's really hammering the phone at any point. As far as I know green is the app, red is kernel/OS stuff, and blue is disk activity

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

It's true, I did. I believe the replacement to be OEM, as far as I can tell, and I think I did the replacement correctly. I also replaced the daughter board.
So the shutdown problem you're having is hardware issue. Okay.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

A hardware issue:
#1 exacerbated by high CPU usage in webview when multiple gifs are present
#2 with a questionable ROM, which likely doesn't account for the N4's thermal issues and fails to throttle CPU sufficiently
#3 and an aftermarket battery, which might not be reporting battery temperature properly, see #2

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
My Nexus 4 was giving me similar issues when my original battery was going bad. Perhaps your replacement is a dud?

Heat has always been a problem for mine while running CM11 but never to the point of a reboot so I'd be more inclined to blame the only piece of hardware you replaced before blaming any of the software.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

A hardware issue:
#1 exacerbated by high CPU usage in webview when multiple gifs are present
#2 with a questionable ROM, which likely doesn't account for the N4's thermal issues and fails to throttle CPU sufficiently
#3 and an aftermarket battery, which might not be reporting battery temperature properly, see #2

Where do you get the idea of a questionable ROM? This is stock (albeit rooted).

I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's a hardware issue. I'd like to figure out what's triggering it, and what I can do to mitigate unexpected shutdowns.

In any case, this is all predicated on the phone springing back into life as it did the first time, although this hasn't happened yet, and it's been a couple hours longer than the first time. I think I might be looking at a short-term dumbphone :bang:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's a hardware issue. I'd like to figure out what's triggering it, and what I can do to mitigate unexpected shutdowns.

In any case, this is all predicated on the phone springing back into life as it did the first time, although this hasn't happened yet, and it's been a couple hours longer than the first time. I think I might be looking at a short-term dumbphone :bang:

Next time sell your phone when the battery starts getting worse and let someone else deal with it :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

It's an older device on the newest software after a major change to a lot of things. It wouldn't be too farfetched for it not to be properly optimized for the Nexus 4 at this point. Maybe bugfix releases or May's point release will make it more trustworthy but for right now I think "questionable" is as good an adjective as any even if some of us aren't seeing any issues with it.

Especially given the Nexus 4's historical... weirdness... surrounding Qualcomm SoC patches and radio behavior I think it's been amply demonstrated that it's easy to have it not work right even on stock software.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Both very good points.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't realize it was stock, I thought you were running a third-party rom, sorry. Anyways, Android Webkit has had a long standing issue with high CPU usage when animated images are on the page (even if scrolled offscreen). That high cpu use may have been a contributing factor, but I used an N4 as my primary development device for quite a while and I never encountered that kind of overheating.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

kalstrams posted:

As of a few days ago, app keeps signing me out at random moments for random intervals, and I don't have a clue why. Internet connection is present and functional at all times this happen. What happens, basically, is "loading failed" on any action, so my current way to solve this is press back button a few times until I get into main menu, then open the app again and log in. This one, repeated dozen or so times, usually lets me get it. It logs in every time, but it's always "loading failed" so I just back out, fire it up again and login again. I'm not sure if issue is with something on my phone or with the app, and neither am I sure in what information I should provide so the post is of any use. Phone is Nexus 5, Android 5.0.1, baseband version M8974A-2.0.50.2.22, kernel version 3.4.0-g88fbc66 (android-built@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1 Mon Oct 20 22:18:31 UTC 2014), build number LRX22C. Awful version is 3.1.2b. Also, it more seems that issue is time locked, X number of logins resolving it seems dumb. If that's the case, I'd eyeball 10 or so minutes.

I'm getting something like this on my Nexus 4 except it logs me out and fails to load anything and then when I log back in it still won't load anything so I basically have to delete the app + app data. Once it's reinstalled I log back in and can browse until it kicks me out again a few minutes late, quite odd.

Nexus 4, Rooted
Baseband M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1701.04
Kernel 3.4.0-perf-g60eefcd
android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1
Fri Oct 10 18:28:38 UTC 2014
Build Number LRX21T
Awful Version: latest

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I can't insert android smilies in my posts any more wth

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You mean like this:

😂😄😴😇😈😻👴👫🙀💁👱👳✈🏢🏢🎆📕📑📘🔦👙👖👒🚑🅿🛅🛄🕟🕖🔄🔀🙀🙅🙆🙇🙈🙉🙊💩💩

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Exactly! The key that let me switch to emojis has gone!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well that sounds like a keyboard problem to me.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
It would appear so yes!

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Press and hold the enter key dude. Then move your finger up

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Still cant post topics with this dumbass app

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

search for butt posted:

You say that like it a bad thing

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

For a more serious request than my last one, would it be possible to get collapsible quote blocks like SALR does? I am guessing it would take a fair amount of work if it was even feasible at all. Mainly it just screws me up when someone posts a really long wall of text and I try to read the next reply on my phone, because the dipshit inevitably quotes the whole thing and I've got to scroll like a madman but be careful not to zoom on past their actual reply. I'm guessing it's probably been asked before actually, so apologies if you addressed it and I just missed it out of laziness.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

search for butt posted:

Yeah you can

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

search for butt posted:

and nothing of value was lost

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

baka kaba posted:

Yeah you can
What do you hit to bring it up? The three dots thing disappears in the thread list on my phone version, is it supposed to be in there?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CrashCat posted:

What do you hit to bring it up? The three dots thing disappears in the thread list on my phone version, is it supposed to be in there?

Nah you fork the app and add the functionality yourself, if you're mad about it like certain other posters in the thread! There's pretty much a handful of people doing all the work here in their spare time, and the forum code is apparently a nightmare even for the site admins, never mind for people writing parsers and app functionality and who'll get blamed if anything anywhere in the chain goes wrong and someone gets banned

Anyone can get involved and contribute, or just roll their own special snowflake version if they want, if they're motivated enough. Otherwise you'll just have to wait, and you might be waiting a while, that's just how it is!

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Nah you fork the app and add the functionality yourself, if you're mad about it like certain other posters in the thread! There's pretty much a handful of people doing all the work here in their spare time, and the forum code is apparently a nightmare even for the site admins, never mind for people writing parsers and app functionality and who'll get blamed if anything anywhere in the chain goes wrong and someone gets banned

Anyone can get involved and contribute, or just roll their own special snowflake version if they want, if they're motivated enough. Otherwise you'll just have to wait, and you might be waiting a while, that's just how it is!

Sounds lime a bunch of nerdy mumbo jumbo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's apps for ya

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I updated the app a few days ago, and now the option in the top right to post a reply is gone. I'm making this reply by quoting someone and deleting the quote. Help.

I'm still on gingerbread, an HTC Sensation 4g.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hardware menu button.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thank you.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Unclean009 posted:

Press and hold the enter key dude. Then move your finger up

thanks, never noticed before🚶

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

Sounds great, send me a pull-request if you find the time

Just a general FYI: I have merged his changes into my repository. I will test it when I get home and push the whole AniMD branch to the main repo if it all seems fine.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I can't believe how much bitching there is in this thread about a free loving app. Awful works great for me and it is awesome, thanks to everyone who works on it. Seriously, to anyone who doesn't know: Android dev is hard as hell. I'd help, but I suck so bad at it I drat near failed the class in school.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Just change the line of code from make:thread to make:post you baby

e. other way round

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Only offer autobanning thread tags.

Forcibly tick the "show signature" checkbox.

Submit the form with a random forumid.

Redirect the OP to this thread as a quote attributed to "my stupid thread would've".

Submit the form thrice when the user taps once.

ROT557056 the OP.

Implement in-app hellbanning for posted threads.

Future-smilie-proof the OP by wrapping every word in colons.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wrapping things in colons is your answer to everything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Only offer autobanning thread tags.

Forcibly tick the "show signature" checkbox.

Submit the form with a random forumid.

Redirect the OP to this thread as a quote attributed to "my stupid thread would've".

Submit the form thrice when the user taps once.

ROT557056 the OP.

Implement in-app hellbanning for posted threads.

Future-smilie-proof the OP by wrapping every word in colons.

This, please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Breath Ray posted:

Wrapping things in colons is your answer to everything.

Just a reminder that enclosing something in colons is the medical description for sticking it up your rear end.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

As the first few beta folk will probably notice, I've pushed a new version to beta.
It contains the code cleaning changes by Sassafras as well as 2 other changes.

I'm trying a new method to determine screen size which should stop that stupid bug when you change orientation on small tablets and hugephones.
I've also switched the error reporting library/service from bugSense to Crashlytics. This apparently requires a new permission so I can sell more data to the chinese get a better diagnosis.

Do you have Android development experience and hate yourself? Send me a pm with your email and I will add you to the team on Crashlytics. Let's search through inexplicable stack traces together!

/fakeedit: I've pushed the AniMD branch to the main repo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was wondering why it suddenly wanted media permissions.