Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I thought there was a distributor buy back system in place, at least for some countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Top Gun was pretty much the first major VHS to target the home video market rather than the rental market, which is why it had that Pepsi commercial in front to help subsidize the cost.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
if you wanted to buy a VHS while the movie was still on the new releases section of rental chains, that's when they were $90.

After they were out a bit the prices dropped to $25.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ruddiger posted:

One of my favorite goofy zombie movies. Don't need to see the original to follow this one, it plays out like a more sillier Return of the Living Dead.

How do you get goofier than Return?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Rental shops would often have the movies in stock at least a few months before a cheaper "retail" version was released, which is why some of you remember getting VHS tapes for under $30. If I remember correctly Terminator 2 was over a $100 for the VHS when it first came out, I assume it was so high to prevent people from by-passing the rental model.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

DrVenkman posted:

Those would be to purchase personally for the home video market. The higher prices were charged to retailers (Though in the early days regular people could still purchase them too). Sometimes if you would buy ex-rental VHS the sticker would still be on there.

I know that video stores still paid out the rear end, I was just taking issue with the idea that movies weren't priced to own until the DVD era. There was very much a home video market throughout the '90s. I don't think it's necessarily a sign of your age to not remember VHS tapes being that expensive, because it was very easy to never encounter those prices unless you worked at a video store (or, like you said, remember seeing old price tags on tapes at the store).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

zandert33 posted:

Rental shops would often have the movies in stock at least a few months before a cheaper "retail" version was released, which is why some of you remember getting VHS tapes for under $30. If I remember correctly Terminator 2 was over a $100 for the VHS when it first came out, I assume it was so high to prevent people from by-passing the rental model.

What what I remember a movie would be released in this order:

-Theater
-VHS rental
-PPV
-Home video
-Premium movie channels
So basically rental stores had a certain window ( a few weeks) to make their money back and profit from stuff.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 30, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the CHUD is a zombie movie sequel to a film that hasn't got a single zombie in it. In the original C.H.U.D. the creatures are gnarly mutated sewer winos with fangs, glowing eyes and elongated necks. I think Bud the CHUD was originally meant to be a Return of the Living Dead film but got some slight rewrites turning into a very loose sequel to C.H.U.D.. I think the main zombie in the film is supposed to be a test subject that got injected with C.H.U.D. blood in an attempt to create the perfect soldier or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bud also seemed like a parody of Bub from Day of the Dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

C.H.U.D. 2: Bud the CHUD is a zombie movie sequel to a film that hasn't got a single zombie in it. In the original C.H.U.D. the creatures are gnarly mutated sewer winos with fangs, glowing eyes and elongated necks. I think Bud the CHUD was originally meant to be a Return of the Living Dead film but got some slight rewrites turning into a very loose sequel to C.H.U.D.. I think the main zombie in the film is supposed to be a test subject that got injected with C.H.U.D. blood in an attempt to create the perfect soldier or something.

You forgot the part where Bud leads the CHUDS to a high school prom and wears a sick leisure suit and dances.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't actually seen it since I was like 11. My dad had a copy of it on VHS and me and my brother would watch it every time we were at his place. Years later I saw the original C.H.U.D. and found out the movies were barely connected and then saw Day of the Dead and found out Bud was basically Bub.

I really want to see it again to find out if it's as fantastic as I remembered.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm in my 30s and had a buddy who worked at a local video store in the 80s and 90s so I definitely remember VHS tapes being expensive as hell, I remember when my friend was placing orders for the Crow and that tape was expensive as hell, I just didn't realize ALL the VHS distributors were shooting for the moon. I would've never thought Vestron would have enough pull to sell their movies at that price point.

Also, besides the aforementioned dance hall scene in CHUD II, there's also a scene with a group of zombie driving around jamming to the radio and busting a U-ey when they see some victims on the street, and a scene later on where the main zombie, Bud, rips his heart out and gives it to the girl he's fallen for. That movie's fun as hell, and I'm glad I can finally give my VHS copy a break now that I have it on disc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Davros1 posted:

Never seen that Trancers poster before. Suppose it's a early prototype?

I'm not sure. Maybe it's a regional title? It's the only place I've seen it, anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

I thought there was a distributor buy back system in place, at least for some countries.

I worked at a rental place in 98-99 and it was a mixed bag. Like some could be bought outright while others were more of a lease thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

The version of Class of 1999 I got came with a new updated (lame) cover.

I always preferred the original

The same thing happened with From Beyond. Here's the original poster...

And here's the MGM rerelease for DVD...

Pretty ho-hum Photoshop work.

What's interesting is that cover is actually based off an international poster for the film, entitled overseas as H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Sonator (to capitalize on Stuart Gordon's previous HPL film)...

Just off the loving wall madness.

Well, the Shout/Scream Factory re-release went with a comic-book style cover for most of their horror films, so this is what From Beyond now looks like...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

With the early to mid eighties, home video wasn't really considered a serious market. plus the expense of making video tapes, movies were indeed that expensive. I remember one retailer making you place a security deposit on a film for the full retail price, just in case you didn't return it. The high retail price led to the rental model, because it was still believed who would want to own a film to watch over and over? As the home market exploded, while the high retail prices continued, notable blockbusters would be released at the same time as the rentals a lower price (like the Batman 89 image from above). Also, after a while, more popular titles that weren't initially released at a lower price point, would eventually be released for sale after some time. But even into the early 00s, studios were still selling a lot of new titles to rental stores at the 100-dollar range. Now usually, studios would offer a deal like "buy so many copies, and we'll give you a discount on the volume" that would bring it down. But yeah, 75-100 bucks on a new VHS wasn't unheard of.

I was working at a Blockbuster when American Beauty came out on video, and there was a rare case where the studio demanded that Blockbuster pay the full amount for each VHS, instead of some bulk discount, which led to several weeks of BB's only having a handful of VHSes for several weeks until the studio realized how much money they were losing on such a deal.

Also, at the advent of the home rental marker, studios signed long distribution deals for the home market, but when it became apparent that consumers were wanting to own movies, plus the creation of the far cheaper to produce DVDs, they stopped with the distribution deals for rental, realizing that they could make more of a profit it they just sold the movies instead of selling them to stores to rent and getting a smaller piece of the profit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

With the early to mid eighties, home video wasn't really considered a serious market. plus the expense of making video tapes, movies were indeed that expensive. I remember one retailer making you place a security deposit on a film for the full retail price, just in case you didn't return it. The high retail price led to the rental model, because it was still believed who would want to own a film to watch over and over? As the home market exploded, while the high retail prices continued, notable blockbusters would be released at the same time as the rentals a lower price (like the Batman 89 image from above). Also, after a while, more popular titles that weren't initially released at a lower price point, would eventually be released for sale after some time. But even into the early 00s, studios were still selling a lot of new titles to rental stores at the 100-dollar range. Now usually, studios would offer a deal like "buy so many copies, and we'll give you a discount on the volume" that would bring it down. But yeah, 75-100 bucks on a new VHS wasn't unheard of.

I was working at a Blockbuster when American Beauty came out on video, and there was a rare case where the studio demanded that Blockbuster pay the full amount for each VHS, instead of some bulk discount, which led to several weeks of BB's only having a handful of VHSes for several weeks until the studio realized how much money they were losing on such a deal.

Also, at the advent of the home rental marker, studios signed long distribution deals for the home market, but when it became apparent that consumers were wanting to own movies, plus the creation of the far cheaper to produce DVDs, they stopped with the distribution deals for rental, realizing that they could make more of a profit it they just sold the movies instead of selling them to stores to rent and getting a smaller piece of the profit.

I worked at Suncoast during the beginning of the DVD market and those $100 VHS prices were still around if you wanted something out of the ordinary. We had the big catalog in the store and if you wanted something like the DEVO: The Truth About Devolution or some movie you saw off cable a few years ago, could barely remember the title or who acted in it and it wasn't on the shelf, you were likely going to pay through the nose for them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

Back when my parents first signed up for Blockbuster you had to give them a valid credit card just to get a membership, I remember one time we were late returning What About Bob and they were going to charge us $90 for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hasters posted:

Back when my parents first signed up for Blockbuster you had to give them a valid credit card just to get a membership, I remember one time we were late returning What About Bob and they were going to charge us $90 for it.

I remember that was specifically the reason why my dad did not want to sign up for Blockbuster. Palmer Video just let you slap down the four bucks or whatever and be on your way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Someone posted this poster in the GBS thread. I think it's actually a pretty cool poster.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember that after that aired, there was a 1-800 number set up with counselors on the other end for people who couldn't handle the potential reality of a nucelar war.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do you get goofier than Return?

Return 2 and 3.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When I was a kid my neighbours bought two VCRs (at about $800 a pop) just so they could dub rental movies and save money. They probably regretted that decision in the long run.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gonz posted:

I remember that after that aired, there was a 1-800 number set up with counselors on the other end for people who couldn't handle the potential reality of a nucelar war.

I vaguely remember the scene where the missiles are being launched and the mother character is mentally incapable of dealing with what is happening. She just keeps making her bed until dragged away to the fallout shelter.

The film allegedly horrified Ronald Reagan to the point that he actively started pursuing disarmament with the Soviet Union. After the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty was signed, he sent a telegram to the directors saying, "Don't think your movie didn't have any part of this, because it did."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid my neighbours bought two VCRs (at about $800 a pop) just so they could dub rental movies and save money. They probably regretted that decision in the long run.

We got our first VCR used, for like what amounts to 1000+ usd. I don't remember the exact amount cause I was maybe 8, but imagine buying a used VCR for like a months rent, jesus.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

QuoProQuid posted:

The film allegedly horrified Ronald Reagan to the point that he actively started pursuing disarmament with the Soviet Union. After the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty was signed, he sent a telegram to the directors saying, "Don't think your movie didn't have any part of this, because it did."

This is hagiography. Reagan was a piece of poo poo and died too late.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I was a kid in the mid to late 80s I found out that another kid was taping movies from the video store despite the obvious crushing death that would surely be bestowed on him by the FBI any day now and freaked out, told him what a absolute fool he was and told the teacher only to hear the teacher tell me to calm down, it wasn't a big deal.

My world was destroyed that day. Morality itself was transformed and twisted.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Blockbuster had something like a 6 week window before they'd put VHS out as ex-rental to buy, generally at about £35, which would then go down by £5 or so every two weeks. The only thing that ever sold at those prices was Star Trek films or the Voyager tapes with 2 episodes on. DVD didn't have the 'only available to rent window' built in when it came out either, so that put the first nails into Blockbusters coffin.

Star Trek guys. I worked in 3 different stores across West Yorkshire in the late 90's and all of them had 2 seperate middle aged nerdy dudes regularly hounding you on Voyager release dates or when the tape was coming back in. The lovely search system they used ensured every single Star Trek tape ever released was listed alphabetically too, so cue 10 minutes of scrolling down a greenscreen to get to what you needed to know. And the answer was always 'next week' or 'it's out'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonz posted:

Wimps, go watch Threads. It's on YouTube.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

QuoProQuid posted:

if that happened then its because he thought the movie was real things that were happening in the nation, because he was loving insane and literally thought he was living in a tv show

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But didn't he tell Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall and he did?

Reminder that Ronnie was making GBS threads his pajamas and forgetting Nancy's name by the end of his second term.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gonz posted:

As bad as that movie was it still was disturbing for the matter of fact representation of nukes going off and vaporizing people, the following widespread radiation sickness and the general bleakness that countered Reagan's rah-rah Cold War horseshit. It wasn't the action-packed disaster movie the masses were eager for. Surprise! Nuclear war is the worst thing possible!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

QuoProQuid posted:

Someone posted this poster in the GBS thread. I think it's actually a pretty cool poster.

Wow, that's a great poster.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dick Trauma posted:

As bad as that movie was it still was disturbing for the matter of fact representation of nukes going off and vaporizing people, the following widespread radiation sickness and the general bleakness that countered Reagan's rah-rah Cold War horseshit. It wasn't the action-packed disaster movie the masses were eager for. Surprise! Nuclear war is the worst thing possible!

Even Terminator 2 caught a lot of attention and praise (in some circles) for its depiction of nuclear war and just how terrible it is. The emotional point of the movie wasn't trying to stop Skynet and the machines, per se, it was trying to stop Judgment Day.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I think T2 got praise for its accuracy in depicting how a nuclear explosion works (as something more than just "like a bomb but bigger").

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Blockbuster being idiots is what killed Blockbuster. The creators of both Netflix and Redbox approached Blockbuster first with their ideas before going out and creating their own companies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were both responsible for the death of the mom and pop video store so gently caress both of them, I'm glad they both went extinct and I hope their CEOs hung themselves after realizing they ran their obsolete business practices into the ground.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

71: Classic Las Vegas

Moon Over Las Vegas

Las Vegas Nights

Las Vegas Shakedown

the Las Vegas Story

Meet Me in Las Vegas

Crashing Las Vegas

Sheriff of Las Vegas

Las Vegas Hillbillys

Viva Las Vegas

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ShufflerZero posted:

Las Vegas Hillbillys

If I ever become a porn star, I'm calling myself Husky Mansfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

I was so obsessed with Aliens as a kid that all I wanted for Christmas the year it came out was the rental VHS tape, at a bargain price of £88. My mum basically had to refuse it to me in place of my own common sense. The funny thing is, I rented it so much the fees probably approached that price anyway.