Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

~nope~

going for a pint.

lol you tried to edit out your giving up. what a puss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

uber imploding pre-ipo from a "yes your employees are actually employees" ruling would be the best possible outcome.

mostly because ti would also put the writing on the wall for other companies exploiting employees in the same manner.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

is there a dialog skip button whereby you play through your masterstorke augment without constant prompting, or does that not give you enough flexibility?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Beast of Bourbon posted:

as a not-poor fat white man (the kind no one wants to rape) who lives and works in san francisco, uber is pretty cool.

get privileged i guess, that's my lesson to everybody who isn't me

so you are one of the few people able to hail a taxi and you choose not to. cheers to that i guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shifty Pony posted:

uber imploding pre-ipo from a "yes your employees are actually employees" ruling would be the best possible outcome.

mostly because ti would also put the writing on the wall for other companies exploiting employees in the same manner.

itd be pretty sweet but cash rules everything around us so lol if you think anything will happen to them

the point in time that we are on is only a very lovely local maxima. from now on its gonna get way worse unless youre in the billion dollar class.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
maxima is plural

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol you tried to edit out your giving up. what a puss

i didn't try, i did

anyway, as long as your definition of ride hiring service is taxi service then you win, and i am vanquished

like a moth to the flame i die to fishmeching

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Fishmech, what does a ride hailing company do?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wulfolme posted:

Fishmech, what does a ride hailing company do?

contracts drivers that they may not directly employ to provide rides on a contingent basis, which can also include purchasing vehicles for them to use under an expectation they'll pay it back by doing rides. many of them also offer minor courier service with a driver.

many drivers would be on paid staff for a full on taxi company, and if they owned their vehicle they might drive it off hours under dispatch range of the ride hailing company.

and all of this would normally be done under the standard regulations, without a multimillionaire jackass swooping in trying to claim he was disrupting and causing all sorts of legal trouble.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
needs to be a car service for courriel

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
apparently robert scoble is going in to rehab???

i found this out because i guess i have friends who are friends with him on facebook, also both zucks apparently.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

contracts drivers that they may not directly employ to provide rides on a contingent basis, which can also include purchasing vehicles for them to use under an expectation they'll pay it back by doing rides. many of them also offer minor courier service with a driver.

many drivers would be on paid staff for a full on taxi company, and if they owned their vehicle they might drive it off hours under dispatch range of the ride hailing company.

and all of this would normally be done under the standard regulations, without a multimillionaire jackass swooping in trying to claim he was disrupting and causing all sorts of legal trouble.

This makes them sound like they have a lot more capital investment in the business and the driver, compared to uber's total lack of any ownership of anything that they use to pretend they have no effect or control beyond the app

i see the similarities, sure, but uber's cool trick seems to be that they don't have to pay jack for poo poo and still pull revenue which is why their business model is so exciting to the greedy

furthermore isnt the whole doing everything illegally enough to distinguish uber alone? isnt the whole reason this poo poo is funny is because of the -wahh wahhh laws shouldnt apply to me- schtick thats leading uber down the path of reenacting a century of bug fixes in the licensed taxi system in fast forward

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 31, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

apparently robert scoble is going in to rehab???

i found this out because i guess i have friends who are friends with him on facebook, also both zucks apparently.

come on, don't leak poo poo like that

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

so you are one of the few people able to hail a taxi and you choose not to. cheers to that i guess.

I once got in a cab and it smelled like poop so I got out and called a lyft

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

daft punk railroad posted:

maxima is plural

you mean i used to own multiple nissans?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

come on, don't leak poo poo like that

it has like 2000 likes and many hundreds of shares, FB has privacy settings so...

edit: 3000+ shares and he tagged the rehab clinic in the post and thanked people. not exactly a private moment.

Beast of Bourbon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 31, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wulfolme posted:

This makes them sound like they have a lot more capital investment in the business and the driver, compared to uber's total lack of any ownership of anything that they use to pretend they have no effect or control beyond the app

ride-hailing services vary widely

some of them own the cars and employ the drivers
some of them own cars and contract drivers
some of them own nothing and contract everything

all these categories are common, legal, and regulated in every major metro. there was no reason uber needed to break the law or "disrupt" anything.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
reminder: right now, today, uber is operating as a legal ride-hailing service in nyc. they operate several licensed brick-and-mortar dispatch sites around the city to handle hails from passengers and dispatch them to licensed livery cars.

this provides a useful service to the public and is very profitable for uber.

uber only breaks the law when they think can get away with it. unfortunately most states do not have aggressive and fearsome attorneys general

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Leck posted:

you mean i used to own multiple nissans?

nissans maxima

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mr Dog posted:

probably just a massmail blast to all people who have used uber (maybe in the last x days or more than y times idk)

there's plenty of actual comically evil poo poo to hate about uber without needing to make up more

well, the vile part wasn't just that, but all the poo poo uber is doing in india is pretty vile

not bothering to keep track of their drivers or make sure their info is correct so that when one rapes a person, the police have nothing to go on

not having any real offices in a country they're operating in nor having any driver information stored anywhere but in US offices, giving the driver in question plenty of time to hide

the person who got raped sent an email to their support account, uber has yet to respond to it

quote:

Unfortunately, Uber has gone back on its word that it would do "everything" to support Plaintiff in her courageous recovery. Despite knowing Ms. Doe's identity and having the means to reach her, Uber has shunned and avoided all contact with Ms. Doe and her family. Furthermore, as a demonstration of the Company's relentless determination to profit at the expense of anything or anyone standing in its way, Uber ignored Plaintiff's request to be consulted with in regard to any safety reforms Uber undertakes in India, and instead, boasted about reopening its business operations in India, despite a governmental ban.

it's disgusting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

which can also include purchasing vehicles for them to use under an expectation they'll pay it back by doing rides.

i'm curious where this has been common practice for ride hailing companies, i'm not arguing the point, i've just not heard of it being done.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

uber only breaks the law when they think can get away with it. unfortunately most states do not have aggressive and fearsome attorneys general

most states have extremely loving scary attourneys general actually provided you're not in the 1% and/or white

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it has like 2000 likes and many hundreds of shares, FB has privacy settings so...

edit: 3000+ shares and he tagged the rehab clinic in the post and thanked people. not exactly a private moment.

yeah, i saw some of it this morning. the way you wrote your post made it sound like something he shared in semi-confidence to get it off his chest.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

boober

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

boobr

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bübr

or maybe

bûbr

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my pinyin is weak

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't remember the name of it but there's already a new service doing only limos and town cars, [e.g. uber's bread and butter] and I'm seeing a lot of vehicles with their stickers on them [it's a bow tie]

all you'd have to do to take all that business over is pay the drivers more

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I can't remember the name of it but there's already a new service doing only limos and town cars, [e.g. uber's bread and butter] and I'm seeing a lot of vehicles with their stickers on them [it's a bow tie]

all you'd have to do to take all that business over is pay the drivers more

and charge lower fares.

i'm not at all sure that uber makes money. they keep taking on investment and debt even though their revenues are stratospheric. gotta wonder if profits are above 0

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it would probably be better to charge higher fares since you couldn't compete with uber's $2 billion war chest anyway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and charge lower fares.

uber fares are already ridiculously low

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and charge lower fares.

i'm not at all sure that uber makes money. they keep taking on investment and debt even though their revenues are stratospheric. gotta wonder if profits are above 0

lol at the idea of a startup making profits

I think Facebook is turning a profit now? idk. Twitter wasn't last I heard, Amazon is breaking even because they're spending tons on r&d

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

super professional company

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-NA5wUvlEqNYnRyODFySTdVanc/view

(from here)

oh but it is "deactivating" not "firing", totally different thing (because the latter is something that you can only do to employees)!

lyft is also likely screwed:

quote:

The drivers contend in the complaints that they’re employees entitled to minimum wage, reimbursement for expenses, overtime and other benefits. At a hearing on Jan. 28 in San Francisco federal court, U.S. Judge Vince Chhabria pointed to court rulings in California finding that delivery service drivers and other workers employed under similar conditions as Lyft drivers were employees, not contractors.

While the judge said that categorizing employees using historical job descriptions and definitions is “woefully outdated” and doesn’t take into account how technology has changed how workers do their jobs, Chhabria told Lyft’s lawyers “you stuck your head in the sand” when it comes to how courts in the most populous U.S. state have defined employees.

“Those cases point to the conclusion” that under state law, workers who do the kind of thing that Lyft drivers do here are employees, Chhabria said, adding that he has to follow the law established in earlier cases. He didn’t say when he will rule.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FrozenVent posted:

lol at the idea of a startup making profits

I think Facebook is turning a profit now? idk. Twitter wasn't last I heard, Amazon is breaking even because they're spending tons on r&d

i thought amazon profits at the same rate as any other retailer: 0.5% of sales

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought amazon profits at the same rate as any other retailer: 0.5% of sales

yeah, amazon is basically an online grocery store in more ways than one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yea I think that's correct...they maintain profits that any other large discount retailer would by dumping money into Bezos' pet projects, but wall street is pissy becausE they don't grow their stock the way a tech company is supposed to

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

probably just a massmail blast to all people who have used uber (maybe in the last x days or more than y times idk)

there's plenty of actual comically evil poo poo to hate about uber without needing to make up more

probably everyone in delhi who had ever used uber, since delhi banned uber after the police investigation and that email was sent out when uber decided to go ahead and ignore the ban and resume operations in delhi anyway. i feel like completely ignoring a rape victim to the extent where the only contact she gets from you after the rape is a marketing email is pretty lovely anyway though

quote:

87. Just weeks after being savagely raped, and as Yadav's criminal trial was ongoing, Uber contacted Plaintiff directly (despite already knowing that she had retained counsel in connection with this matter) to brazenly taunt her by letting her know that Uber was back up and running in Delhi. Uber remarkably told Plaintiff that it was ready to "serve" and "get [her] moving once again," and audaciously offered her a "flat 25% discount."

88. This sick email from Uber (which conspicuously stated that it was coming from Uber's headquarters in San Francisco, California, like the other communications between Uber and Plaintiff), had the subject line "Uber Back to Serve Again in Delhi," and brashly proclaimed that Uber had listened to the "Delhi rider community," and knows that the community "want[s it] back."

89. However, although Uber had earlier promised to do "everything" to support Plaintiff in her recovery, it failed to involve Plaintiff in any way with the reintegration of Uber into the Delhi market. Plaintiff by this time had made it clear to Uber that she wished to be a part of the consultation process regarding safety procedures to ensure that no other person became a victim at the hands of an Uber driver. Uber, clearly focused on its bottom-line, decided to not only ignore Plaintiff's sincere requests, but chose to add insult to injury by thumbing its nose at Plaintiff, and excluding her from any conversation regarding Uber's attempts to reform its safety procedures in India.

90. However, in spite of Uber's announcement that it was restarting operations in India, the Company was nonetheless still subject to a ban by Indian government officials. Accordingly, Uber's utter disregard for and contemptuous attitude toward India's governmental authorities demonstrates the urgency behind the injunctive relief measures Plaintiff seeks herein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Yea I think that's correct...they maintain profits that any other large discount retailer would by dumping money into Bezos' pet projects, but wall street is pissy becausE they don't grow their stock the way a tech company is supposed to

i thought wall street was p ok with it and it was confusing the tech bloggers mostly? like there's a reasonable business underneath the r&d spending, and bezos is messaging that they could trim the r&d 'fat' at any time.

• Locked thread