Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Nobody is going to literally die because they have the flu. The guys who die in fights have serious conditions like aneurysms and problems with their hearts. Being sick doesn't make you die when you get punched in the face.

Like 25k people each year literally die because they have the flu

Not saying a fighter will but still it's a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
Kelvin Gastelum will die from a single punch and usher in the Helmet Era wherein all fighters wear bicycle helmets that they can decorate with cute little stickers and ribbons

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

THE BUTT MAN posted:

Kelvin Gastelum will die from a single punch and usher in the Helmet Era wherein all fighters wear bicycle helmets that they can decorate with Reebok-approved stickers and ribbons

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Like 25k people each year literally die because they have the flu

Not saying a fighter will but still it's a thing

Like 90% of people who die of the flu are elderly and most of the rest are infants. If a strain of flu popped up that was dropping young people in prime physical condition we'd all have a lot more to worry about than UFC fights getting scrubbed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How long till the early prelims start approx?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

EmmyOk posted:

How long till the early prelims start approx?

around 5 hours from now, this post. yeah.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Michael Jordan scored 38 points in the NBA finals while riddled with the flu

Kelvin should be able to submit Woodley in 90 seconds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

around 5 hours from now, this post. yeah.

Thanks!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
kelvin has always had rough cuts and looked awful at the weigh-ins and then went on to have great performances, i wouldn't put too much weight into it pun intended

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LobsterMobster posted:

Michael Jordan scored 38 points in the NBA finals while riddled with the flu

Kelvin should be able to submit Woodley in 90 seconds.
even though it was 90's NBA jordan was being hit with a lot fewer elbows

edit: wow the top player in the NBA was once allowed to eat bad pizza during the finals

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What way is McCann/Tate likely to go?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

EmmyOk posted:

Tate normally wins by having better conditioning and grappling. I see McMann being better or equal in those two areas, and she should be stronger. So McMann by unanimous decision.

e: Tate pulling off a submission from the bottom isn't out of the realm of possibilities though.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 31, 2015

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?

EmmyOk posted:

Tate will humiliate herself once again by walking out to Katy Perrys "Roar" song and proceed to fight like a kitten with down syndrome. If there is a merciful god watching over this blasphemous gay sport of ours, she will lose in hilarious fashion.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

EmmyOk posted:

Probably pretty poorly for us, the fans

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

EmmyOk posted:

Incredibly boring wrestling from McMann, probably

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?

Shumagorath posted:

edit: wow the top player in the NBA was once allowed to eat bad pizza during the finals

this is the type of information i come to PSP to receive, thank you friend.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

THE BUTT MAN posted:

Tate will humiliate herself once again by walking out to Katy Perrys "Roar" song and proceed to fight like a kitten with down syndrome. If there is a merciful god watching over this blasphemous gay sport of ours, she will lose in hilarious fashion.

My favorite part of her coming out to "Roar" is that she sings along as she's walking out.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

McMann's fight with Lauren Murphy was incredibly dire, almost as bad as Tate's win over Nakai. To be honest outside of her takedowns I don't even know if McMann's sub grappling is all that great. I don't think she ever even managed to pass guard against Murphy and I also recall that she looked pretty uncomfortable on top at times in her fight with Baszler. The safest bet is an ugly 3-round fight whose outcome depends on how highly the judges weigh McMann's takedowns against Tate probably being more active. Would love to be wrong though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
McMann almost got leglocked by Baszler and generally got out grappled in their fight, she's honestly pretty bad at MMA and trains at a lovely camp in South Carolina.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Aren't the fightpass prelims supposed to be going by now?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Senordingdong posted:

Aren't the fightpass prelims supposed to be going by now?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Brandao's scales were five pounds off so he thought he was going to come in at 147 and just gave up cutting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So Kelvin missed weight by 10lbs? Jesus that's a lot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

vainman posted:

Brandao's scales were five pounds off so he thought he was going to come in at 147 and just gave up cutting.

l m a o

where's that 2015 nominations thread we've got a good one on our hands

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

So Kelvin missed weight by 10lbs? Jesus that's a lot.

On TUF didn't he just eat junk food all day?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

EmmyOk posted:

I expect Tate to physically overwhelm Sara, and to have a substantial grappling advantage in the sort of awkward positions bad MMA fights always end up in. McMann has not impressed me much. Miesha looked like garbage against Rin but I don't think she took that fight seriously.

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?

K8.0 posted:

I expect Tate to physically overwhelm Sara, and to have a substantial grappling advantage in the sort of awkward positions bad MMA fights always end up in. McMann has not impressed me much. Miesha looked like garbage against Rin but I don't think she took that fight seriously.

bryan caraway account spotted

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i don't know how you can tell the difference between a serious meisha and a not serious meisha because she is just perpetually poo poo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like how part of Miesha's gameplan in the Rousey rematch was going to be to strike with her.

Remember that Miesha Tate was handily being picked apart on the feet by Julie Kedzie. I mean Ronda isn't exactly an ace on the feet, but neither is Miesha and it's like her and her entire support team can't grasp that she's bad at kickboxing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ronda wasn't an ace on the feet before but is currently the best striker in W135.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ronda wasn't an ace on the feet before but is currently the best striker in W135.

holly holm

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
is literally a ghost

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
theoretically Holly Holm is a good fighter and Neil Magny exists but neither can be conclusively proven by any modern scientific means

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

THE BUTT MAN posted:

theoretically Holly Holm is a good fighter and Neil Magny exists but neither can be conclusively proven by any modern scientific means

nah holly holm is a good boxer. i'm not even sure she'll be remotely competitive against somebody who can grapple at all.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

1st AD posted:

I like how part of Miesha's gameplan in the Rousey rematch was going to be to strike with her.

Remember that Miesha Tate was handily being picked apart on the feet by Julie Kedzie. I mean Ronda isn't exactly an ace on the feet, but neither is Miesha and it's like her and her entire support team can't grasp that she's bad at kickboxing.

It's been a while but I remember miesha hitting ronda a lot, her problem was coming inside and getting clinched and tossed.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

PaganGoatPants posted:

On TUF didn't he just eat junk food all day?

Well he also was fighting at middleweight for that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

It's been a while but I remember miesha hitting ronda a lot, her problem was coming inside and getting clinched and tossed.

Miesha spent most of the time on the feet in that fight throwing three or four punch combos which Ronda would completely ignore and respond with a right cross, after which Miesha would wince and either back off or dive into the clinch

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So pumped for the return of Kendall Grove.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

UFC.com says prelims start at 6.30 but the stream says they only come on at 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My theory is that Holm represents a challenge in that she has good enough footwork and to defend takedowns by staying out of clinch/shot range instead of attempting to resist Ronda in the clinch or on the ground, which is what literally every one of her opponents has done so far, and which is retarded because Ronda is really really good there. That's like trying to defend a 2006 Cro Cop LHK by relying on your chin to keep you standing.

Ronda might end up looking totally lost and confused against an opponent who knows how to circle out and strike while moving backward

• Locked thread