Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's my first car with power too :) Everything I've read that's willing to throw out a number cites about 45°F as the bottom limit for summer tires.

Consumer Reports puts the Sport Pilot AS/3 at the top of their all-season rankings. If you get a capital-W Winter, you might consider alternating summer and winter tires instead of all-seasons, but that's mostly hearsay, because I have basically no winter driving experience.

I have extreme performance summer tires (Bridgestone RE-11s), and while it's true that you lose a shitload of traction under 40 degrees, it's not like the car is going to just up and spin off the road on it's own. It's fine so long as you don't try to fishtail around corners or bury the throttle when a light turns green. I wasn't a big fan of the stock P-Zeros that came with my car vs these, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

So here's the wheels that came on it. What are they exactly? I rather like them; 18" and currently sporting 255 wide tires! However, I want big, firm brakes that don't fade, and the GT500s won't fit.

Should I just get 19" rims for the GT500s or look at another big brake kit? IIRC smaller wheels mean cheaper tires and arguably better performance. While I think brakes are pretty drat important I'd rather not end up paying too much more over time on tires.

There's always the "Get some EBC or Hawk pads that won't heat fade and deal with dust" option too I suppose.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's my first car with power too :) Everything I've read that's willing to throw out a number cites about 45°F as the bottom limit for summer tires.

Consumer Reports puts the Sport Pilot AS/3 at the top of their all-season rankings. If you get a capital-W Winter, you might consider alternating summer and winter tires instead of all-seasons, but that's mostly hearsay, because I have basically no winter driving experience.

I live in Florida, and I'm thinking of going to SoCal, so I'm not too worried about capital-W Winter.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm quite happy with these as far as wheels go: http://www.americanmuscle.com/glossblack-forgestarf14-18x10-0512.html

They fit over the Brembo brakes, are really damned light, and 18" tires aren't quite as $$$$ as 19"s or 20"s. You can put 275-295s all around on the 18 * 10 wheels, too.

I mean, they're not cheap wheels, but I think the value is pretty high considering how light they are (I think it's ~10 pounds less per wheel than stock).

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

I'm quite happy with these as far as wheels go: http://www.americanmuscle.com/glossblack-forgestarf14-18x10-0512.html

They fit over the Brembo brakes, are really damned light, and 18" tires aren't quite as $$$$ as 19"s or 20"s. You can put 275-295s all around on the 18 * 10 wheels, too.

I mean, they're not cheap wheels, but I think the value is pretty high considering how light they are (I think it's ~10 pounds less per wheel than stock).

Nice, even if they're $1500 a set! I'd be saving on tires the first time, so I'll have to think about that! I heard that the AMRs here will fit if they're 18x9.

Any clue what I'm sporting right now? I've got 255s on it and I'm not even sure if they're stock. Can you still get printable templates to put on your hub to figure out brake fitment? I might as well do that...

What about the 14" vs the 15" brake kits, anyway? Are the 14s just not as good or spongier, or just not as MORE BIGGER as the 15s? I'm playing catch-up from bench racer to "oh, I'm out of school, now it's playtime."

Edit: just printed some templates out.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Space Whale posted:

I live in Florida, and I'm thinking of going to SoCal, so I'm not too worried about capital-W Winter.

In that case, you shouldn't bother with all-seasons at all. Just get summer tires. Pilot Super Sports are the best all-round option there is right now if you don't live somewhere with snow.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

HotCanadianChick posted:

In that case, you shouldn't bother with all-seasons at all. Just get summer tires. Pilot Super Sports are the best all-round option there is right now if you don't live somewhere with snow.

If you want more grip consider Dunlop ZII or ZII star spec. If you want to save cash I've heard really good things about the bfg sport comp 2 from michelin tire designers.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any comments on the GeneralTire G-MAX AS-03s?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How much do supercharger installs on the 4.6 usually run? I looked into it a year ago and saw "complete" kits that I could reasonably install going for a hair over 3k. The threads on random mustang forums I've read don't mention much else besides dyno time to get the tune right but I start thinking about my 15 year old engine and clutch and wonder how long it would last like that. Once you get into rebuilding the engine, race clutch, beefing up the TR-3650, replacing worn out poo poo in the axle, etc it seems like I could just take that money and sell the car and have a pretty serious down payment for a 2015 or a huge chunk of a 2011-2014 GT.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's not a difficult install at all. You can do it in your driveway as long as you have a set of ramps.

That said, you are absolutely correct: The price of the blower, upgrades, etc plus what you could get if you sold your current Mustang gets you a better car in every possible way in the form of a Coyote equipped Mustang...a car with a much higher performance ceiling down the road.

The flip side is your current Mustang is paid for so there's that to consider; depending on your current and future financial situations/risks. But you'll never get back out of it whatever upgrades you put into it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Probably most shops can do it in a day. Consider the most expensive mechanics charge about $100 an hour. You are looking at a minimum of 8 hours to a full 2 days?
this is just considering the most basic super charger kit like a Vortech and messing around with the fuel pumps etc.... I suppose the less fuel in the car would help too as they don't have to deal with the extra weight and less labor is required to do the work.

You do it yourself you can too, and save a fortune, but are you comfortable drilling a hole in your oil pan? some kits dont require it, but then those s/c get a little more expensive.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the centrifugal blowers require tapping the oil pan. Not a big deal, you just have to get over the anxiety of it (or at least I did). I wouldn't recommend drilling as you'd have to pull the oil pan off.

Pretty simple how to: http://www.superchargersonline.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=33

Roots style blowers don't require it as they have their own oil reservoirs.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Used LS1s on ebay for ~$3000, is there an engine thats popular to throw into a new edge or do people usually just throw superchargers on?

I dont really like the look of the newer mustangs so thats not an option for me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you put an LS3 engine in a Mustang (or vice versa), which owner's group would you be trolling more? :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Used LS1s on ebay for ~$3000, is there an engine thats popular to throw into a new edge or do people usually just throw superchargers on?

I dont really like the look of the newer mustangs so thats not an option for me.

I'm sure with enough hammering the LS1 could be made to fit. After all, the ford mod motors are wide as hell. I'm sure someone somewhere has done it (I know people have put LS1's into foxbodies, so no real reason it couldn't go into an Edge). I'm a Ford guy through and through but the LS1 is a freaking spectacular motor so...why not?

I've seen alot of people putting the 5.4 and 5.....8? liter V8s into Mustangs. With blowers, without them. Both the 32V and 24V variants.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Tide posted:

I'm sure with enough hammering the LS1 could be made to fit. After all, the ford mod motors are wide as hell. I'm sure someone somewhere has done it (I know people have put LS1's into foxbodies, so no real reason it couldn't go into an Edge). I'm a Ford guy through and through but the LS1 is a freaking spectacular motor so...why not?

I've seen alot of people putting the 5.4 and 5.....8? liter V8s into Mustangs. With blowers, without them. Both the 32V and 24V variants.

Before stumbling into a 2012 GT with a coyote I was the worst GM fanboy on earth. Now I realize Ford is fast too!

LS motors are MUCH smaller than any dohc v8 unless it's some kind of comical one off made from bike engines or something. Pushrod heads are TINY compared to DOHC heads, which means you can have a higher deck height in the block, giving you better connecting rod geometry and, of course, displacement.

tl;dr If a mod motor fit in anything a LS motor will fit in it:

even big blocks are smaller than mod motors:

The "FE" is a big block. Think 427/7L motors that can rev to 8K rpms with some rail mount rocker arms with superchargers that require more power to drive than most grocery getters make at peak.

I've long considered a big block swap into a mod motored car.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
im kind of digging the ecoboost twin turbo out of the new GT. 600 ponies!!!!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

kalvick posted:

im kind of digging the ecoboost twin turbo out of the new GT. 600 ponies!!!!
I'm expecting that gen 2 3.5EB to go into the GT500. Wonder what the actual boost level is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

I'm expecting that gen 2 3.5EB to go into the GT500. Wonder what the actual boost level is.

I would think the 2.7 ecoboost is basically a preview.

http://articles.sae.org/13388/

10:1 compression ratio and 29 pound of boost. 2000 psi cylinder pressure, where diesels are around 2600 psi

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you all are saying I should buy a $4000 2005 v6 mustang and ls swap it? Does anyone sell a crossmember kit like they do for the fox bodies cause I am down for dropping in a junkyard engine combo for $1,200 just to be extra cool.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elephanthead posted:

So you all are saying I should buy a $4000 2005 v6 mustang and ls swap it? Does anyone sell a crossmember kit like they do for the fox bodies cause I am down for dropping in a junkyard engine combo for $1,200 just to be extra cool.

Looks like there's tons of support for SN95, but not for the 05-09 retrostangs.

Inspiration: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1748623-sn-95-lsx-swap-build-thread.html

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Why would you want to put in a non Ford based engine is beyond me but it is possible.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kalvick posted:

Why would you want to put in a non Ford based engine is beyond me but it is possible.

Because the 4.6 is a boat anchor unless you add forced induction.

"Built ford tough, with Chevy stuff"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Mine will roast A/S tires with the best of em! :getin:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Cars getting its turn in the shop. Seat fixed under warranty.

loving loaner is a 4cylinder Sonata.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

Because the 4.6 is a boat anchor unless you add forced induction.

"Built ford tough, with Chevy stuff"

Friend of mine didn't believe that my 3.7l '12 with 3.73s would be a *lot* faster than his '01 4.6l. "Dude you have got a lovely 6-banger that's not real 'murrican", etc., etc.

Took him for a ride and now he wants either a '15 V6 or EB instead of the V8 because he was also pissed when I told him I still got anywhere from 22-25mpg commuting (in NoVA/D.C.). even with the 3.73s.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

thetechnoloser posted:

Friend of mine didn't believe that my 3.7l '12 with 3.73s would be a *lot* faster than his '01 4.6l. "Dude you have got a lovely 6-banger that's not real 'murrican", etc., etc.

Took him for a ride and now he wants either a '15 V6 or EB instead of the V8 because he was also pissed when I told him I still got anywhere from 22-25mpg commuting (in NoVA/D.C.). even with the 3.73s.
I didn't like the EB when I drove it, but I want leather and sync3.
There is no V6 premium for the S550.
:(

I also want the PP tuning and torsen dif but don't want the 3.73 gears.
:(:(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ilkhan posted:

:(

I also want the PP tuning and torsen dif but don't want the 3.73 gears.
:(:(

What, you'd rather have 4.10s? :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Raluek posted:

What, you'd rather have 4.10s? :getin:
No I'd rather have 6 usable gears. First is 0 traction and 6th is way too short (2k vs 1200 rpm). There are also complaints about having to shift to 5th on long straights on the track. All of this could be fixed by allowing *optional* 3.55s on the PP. It would let them use the torsen on the EB PP as well.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 31, 2015

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, when I got my '12, I had to have the Premium. Got an MCA edition one, and I love the way it looks compared to the Pony Package.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

If you have an SN95 V6 or a ratty GT, it can make a lot of sense. Especially if your only goal is to go very fast in a straight line.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

If you have an SN95 V6 or a ratty GT, it can make a lot of sense. Especially if your only goal is to go very fast in a straight line.

Let's not pretend that an LS wouldn't lower the center of gravity and drop some weight compared to a modular.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Let's not pretend that an LS wouldn't lower the center of gravity and drop some weight compared to a modular.

Oh, completely agreed. Just thinking that there's not much point to doing the swap unless you plan on racing it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You're probably right. My mustang has been put away for 3 months and Ive been driving a v6 explorer since then and for some reason I'm thinking about power mods for my mustang lately. Its not like I ever wished it had more power in real life scenarios, just in the "it would be cool to have 350 hp" day dreams.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Space Whale posted:

Cars getting its turn in the shop. Seat fixed under warranty.

loving loaner is a 4cylinder Sonata.

It's a loaner car. Did you expect it to be a hotrod?

poo poo, man, just be glad they're fixing it under warranty.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

It's a loaner car. Did you expect it to be a hotrod?

poo poo, man, just be glad they're fixing it under warranty.

Should have mentioned my old car was a Sonata. I'm laughing about it if only because the beep it makes when locked sounds like a squeak toy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Space Whale posted:

Should have mentioned my old car was a Sonata. I'm laughing about it if only because the beep it makes when locked sounds like a squeak toy.

My wife has an Optima, and I like to mash the lock button on the fob because the little horn beep sounds exactly like the Road Runner to me. Meep Meep!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

http://youtu.be/3K7IqivCIXw

What a gloriously angry sounding beast.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Tide posted:

:stare:

http://youtu.be/3K7IqivCIXw

What a gloriously angry sounding beast.

Oohhh single plane V8s sound lovely :swoon:

Also I should be getting the car back tomorrow evening, yay.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That spoiler is obscene, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
http://youtu.be/OJeqJh4-Qwc

This was in the related videos, testing it at the Nurburgring. Lots of nice sounds of the engine under load.