Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Helwani says the Brandao/Hettes fight is off. Hettes caught Kelvin's flu and is too sick to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah i thought we were supposed to be live now

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ariel posted:

I'm told the Brandao-Hettes fight has been canceled due to Hettes suffering from an undisclosed medical issue. More info on FS1 later 2night

I'm told Hettes felt ill while getting hands wrapped. I saw him backstage no more than 30 minutes ago but the fight is definitely off.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

vainman posted:

Helwani says the Brandao/Hettes fight is off. Hettes caught Kelvin's flu and is too sick to fight.

bummer. would have been a real good fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:thejoke:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
This card is cursed.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Watching Sportscenter atm and Gil just said Nick "Needs to maintain eye contact" to win the fight. lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gil is loving terrible on television. maybe terrible is unfair, but he's loving boring.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

gil is loving terrible on television. maybe terrible is unfair, but he's loving boring.

he's only on tv because the ufc offered him matching terms with his bellator contract

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

My theory is that Holm represents a challenge in that she has good enough footwork and to defend takedowns by staying out of clinch/shot range instead of attempting to resist Ronda in the clinch or on the ground, which is what literally every one of her opponents has done so far, and which is retarded because Ronda is really really good there. That's like trying to defend a 2006 Cro Cop LHK by relying on your chin to keep you standing.

Ronda might end up looking totally lost and confused against an opponent who knows how to circle out and strike while moving backward

Do you actually think this or are you posting an outside prediction in the very unlikely event it comes through? If it's the latter I'm with you, no one will remember to quote us afterward if we're wrong.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
Christ i hate this waiting music. It like a bad dungeon raid song.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's absolutely believable that the diaz's would work with gil for so long and not appropriate his wrestling or his amazing manager

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack of Hearts posted:

Do you actually think this or are you posting an outside prediction in the very unlikely event it comes through? If it's the latter I'm with you, no one will remember to quote us afterward if we're wrong.

It's mostly a general theory about Rousey's style and good strategies for beating her, and in that respect I fully stand by my statement. As far as a prediction for a Holm-Rousey match goes, I'm a bit more hesitant to put my stamp on it. Rather, it's more that I see the strategy and think that if anyone wmma can actually pull it off, it'd be Holm: I'm not saying that Holm would be a favourite to beat Rousey or anything, more that she has the best set of tools.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Cat has a better skillset than Holly Holm by far. Holly is not a one shot KO artist, and with her massive grappling deficiency that would be her only avenue to victory. She can't run backwards fast enough to avoid getting clinched and then obliterated because Ronda can just turtle up, ignore her punches and bully her way in. Cat actually has a small chance to do enough damage to put Ronda in a position where she could get finished.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Eat This Glob posted:

Watching Sportscenter atm and Gil just said Nick "Needs to maintain eye contact" to win the fight. lol

HE'S hosed

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The stream is live and I'm super excited to hear about UFC rewards.

So excited in fact, that I am probably gonna go on a quick Target-run to stock up on beer.
Dealing with the increasing number of brazilians piling into my living room might prove to be quite a challenge while sober.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Cat has a better skillset than Holly Holm by far. Holly is not a one shot KO artist, and with her massive grappling deficiency that would be her only avenue to victory. She can't run backwards fast enough to avoid getting clinched and then obliterated because Ronda can just turtle up, ignore her punches and bully her way in. Cat actually has a small chance to do enough damage to put Ronda in a position where she could get finished.

i completely agree. holly would have to spend 25 minutes perfectly controlling the distance and never, ever letting ronda clinch or she will lose quickly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

K8.0 posted:

The cage is so big that it shouldn't be possible to bull in on a fighter with good footwork, especially for 135 lb women. I don't see this as a BOOM KO thing. I genuinely think that the best formula to beat Rousey is to do a Machida impression and score points from the outside while working backward the whole time, and to deny the clinch at all costs. Not a single one of her opponents has ever done anything to obstruct her clinch. Not loving one. Nobody has even stepped back and circled and just let the fight get started for a bit.

So, ignoring the fact that Holm actually has scored one-shot KOs, Zingano's supposed "Better power" is totally worthless, since her "better power" happens on the ground or in the clinch, which is exactly where Rousey wants to be, and where not a single fighter has a hope of obstructing her.

Again, clinching with her is like assuming that your chin is good enough to take an hbomb nbd

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
A lot of weight cutting chat by rogan so far.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rogan has been saying he expects fighters cutting less weight to become a popular trend in the future for like seven years now

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there a chat room that you guys go to for this, irc or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Rogan has been saying he expects fighters cutting less weight to become a popular trend in the future for like seven years now

And whenever a fighter moves down a division (eg Frankie Edgar, TJ Grant) he starts talking about how this is where they should have been all along.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

enz's dfensive footwork is loving awful. he'll probably get clipped and die.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So is this a fight or a contest to see who can throw more strikes when not even close to being in range?

Oh hey there we go someone finally threw a strike from a real distance.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
drat that was a nice start to the card.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Right on the Gracie triangle

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Newtonian transfer KO. Seventeenth century represent.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lmao his punching looks like poo poo but those 2 body kicks looked like money

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its funny how Anderson has two losses in a row and hasn't fought in ages and is old but is still the #1 contender.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Its funny how Anderson has two losses in a row and hasn't fought in ages and is old but is still the #1 contender.

no it isn't

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
hichardson

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol Paul Harris is in Richardson's corner, I guess that's the closest he'll get to being back in the UFC

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shailene Woodley gunna mess with Kelvin Gastulum. She's Divergent.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Count Roland posted:

and they said he gets a title shot if he wins i think.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Neither of the gentlemen in this main event have won a fight in the last two years.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Chexoid posted:

Neither of the gentlemen in this main event have won a fight in the last two years.

What?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This countdown show is great. Bisping just got so flustered trying to talk he just shutdown mid sentence and DC had to jump in and rescue the dead air. Amazing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hitch-Art-Son's mean mug is diego sanchez levels of funny.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Dantu posted:

This countdown show is great. Bisping just got so flustered trying to talk he just shutdown mid sentence and DC had to jump in and rescue the dead air. Amazing.

DC got his suit and head shined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nick Diaz hasn't won a fight since 2011.

• Locked thread