Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I thought Machine Gun's kids on Talk'n Shop would get annoying quick but his interactions with them are hilarious. And adorable. It's like the dinner scene from Talladega Nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

njsykora posted:

I believe it's the 2011 Christmas Show where Bryan gets so ridiculously smashed he ends up running the walls of the studio like they're ropes. Then either 2012 or 2013 Vinny got so drunk he was out of action for nearly a week.

And this year they go from "we will not be drinking" to "okay I guess we can drink a little" to forgetting how to open a box.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

njsykora posted:

I believe it's the 2011 Christmas Show where Bryan gets so ridiculously smashed he ends up running the walls of the studio like they're ropes.

This sentence pushed me over the edge. I'm waiting for PayPal to link my bank account right now before I take the plunge (at least for a month, to scour the archives).

In the same vein as Liar Lyre's question, what are some good episodes for those interested in learning about the history and legacy of Japanese wrestling? The wrestlers, the attitude toward the sport, the development of strong style, things like that. I just started watching wrestling last year, and just started branching out to promotions and styles beyond what's easily-accessible. I've gathered a bit, I mean I know about the Four Pillars, seen a few matches from like NJPW and DDT, fallen in love with the talent, but I'm still very ignorant and would like to explore more. I have the Minoru Suzuki Menu episode up in another tab that I'm going to download as soon as I'm subscribed, but what are some other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Observer Live going 6 days a week permanently from Feb 23rd in what I would call an all time terrible idea if Bryan wasn't likely getting paid a shitload of money for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Observer Live going 6 days a week permanently from Feb 23rd in what I would call an all time terrible idea if Bryan wasn't likely getting paid a shitload of money for it.

I don't think they were getting much of anything for it before so I doubt it's a shitload.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stone Cold gushing about how good Cole, Lawler and JBL are as an announce team was kind of unfortunate. Sometimes he has these really weird opinions that seem completely disconnected from the rest of his stuff and I'm never sure if it's because he legitimately believes them or if he just plays favorites unabashedly with people he likes.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

njsykora posted:

It's dogshit creatively, but I would imagine its not really much more work for Brian, and it's basically a commercial for his pay service that he gets to more ears. Can't imagine why Bryan would pass on it, no matter what he is paid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

81sidewinder posted:

It's dogshit creatively, but I would imagine its not really much more work for Brian, and it's basically a commercial for his pay service that he gets to more ears. Can't imagine why Bryan would pass on it, no matter what he is paid.

Too much product! HOW COULD ANYONE BECOME A FAN WHEN YOU HAVE TO WATCH THREE HOURS EVERY WEEK?!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How long will he go six days a week? He has even less time to not write his own newsletter now!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

John Quixote posted:

In the same vein as Liar Lyre's question, what are some good episodes for those interested in learning about the history and legacy of Japanese wrestling? The wrestlers, the attitude toward the sport, the development of strong style, things like that. I just started watching wrestling last year, and just started branching out to promotions and styles beyond what's easily-accessible. I've gathered a bit, I mean I know about the Four Pillars, seen a few matches from like NJPW and DDT, fallen in love with the talent, but I'm still very ignorant and would like to explore more. I have the Minoru Suzuki Menu episode up in another tab that I'm going to download as soon as I'm subscribed, but what are some other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The first Sin Limite goes into pretty good detail on the first Misawa/Jumbo match (which Dave was at) and the Andre/Maeda incident.

The WON issues after Misawa's death and Kobashi's retirement also have some good insight in that regard.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2015

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm always happy to hear more Semp

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah that schedule seems pretty rough, hopefully he can bring in some more help. All I care about are my Brian and Vinny shows, so as long as they are unaffected then it's cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm always happy to hear more Semp

I want to hear more Sempervive too, but I don't want to hear "This is Ryan from Cumberland, Maryland" every god drat day. Before the big kick of Observer Live was it was the only time of the week non-subs got a reliable free show but I would be interested to see how releasing a free show every day now affects sign ups.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
On Austin's last podcast he asked for questions for his upcoming interview on Monday with HHH. I sent in some really long questions and loving hell, Steve replied to my email. I gotta say, I'm both surprised that the man actually read my too-long questions and flattered that he liked them.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

AlmightyPants posted:

On Austin's last podcast he asked for questions for his upcoming interview on Monday with HHH. I sent in some really long questions and loving hell, Steve replied to my email. I gotta say, I'm both surprised that the man actually read my too-long questions and flattered that he liked them.

I believe Austin tries to read everything and mostly started all the social media stuff because he wants to just interact with fans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

Does he write like he talks? Was it like, "Dear AlmightPants, GODdamn, those were some good-rear end questions, son!"?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Austin 3:16 says I just liked your Email.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

Does he write like he talks? Was it like, "Dear AlmightPants, GODdamn, those were some good-rear end questions, son!"?

Not quite that, but yeah. It's pretty apparent that he writes the same way he speaks.

quote:

how old are you and how long have you been watching wrestling?
you've got some great points here.

steve

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ASL?

-st3ve

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I just hope they give WOL it's own RSS since I wouldn't want it clogging up the main WO feed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Stone Cold gushing about how good Cole, Lawler and JBL are as an announce team was kind of unfortunate. Sometimes he has these really weird opinions that seem completely disconnected from the rest of his stuff and I'm never sure if it's because he legitimately believes them or if he just plays favorites unabashedly with people he likes.

It felt kind of like a backhanded compliment to me. He keeps saying that they are great at "what they did." When he talks about what the commentary team on Raw does, he talks about how they are always talking about main event angles, previous promos and pushing social media stuff. That is "what they do." He then went on to say that they weren't calling the match, which is not "what they do" apparently. I thought it was the equivalent of saying "you did a great job of swinging that bat real hard" without mentioning they struck out completely.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

cronox2 posted:

I just hope they give WOL it's own RSS since I wouldn't want it clogging up the main WO feed.

Every time I click on a new WO show and I hear that AC/DC song I get so sad

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I really wish they'd separate them but I doubt they will. I just look in the description and it's pretty clear which one are the podcasts and which ones are the radio show.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
the podcasts are called wrestling observer radio and the radio show is called wrestling observer live

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
4th Anniversary Show!!!!!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Austin really doesn't like directly insulting the WWE for obvious reasons so you have to read between the lines in what he says.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Had a chuckle at bryan muttering "cheap heat" on tonight's observer radio.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I always get so confused listening to Talkin Shop because Machine Gun sounds just like AJ

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

AlmightyPants posted:

Not quite that, but yeah. It's pretty apparent that he writes the same way he speaks.

That's awesome that you got a reply from him. What were the questions?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I always get so confused listening to Talkin Shop because Machine Gun sounds just like AJ

If one is muttering about the liberal media or "the gays" then it's most likely AJ.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I thought talkin shop podcasts were subscriber only? I'm downloading a couple right now with no account. Has something changed?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

ICHIBAHN posted:

I thought talkin shop podcasts were subscriber only? I'm downloading a couple right now with no account. Has something changed?

They haven't been subscriber only for at least a few months now. Didn't know they ever were.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I don't think they ever were.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I assumed they were, being under the mlw radio umbrella. Well that's good news, thanks. Been wanting to try out this show for a while.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I assumed they were, being under the mlw radio umbrella. Well that's good news, thanks. Been wanting to try out this show for a while.

I've never subscribed and I have always had access to the main MLW show, Bauer & Pollock, Cornette, and Tizz Schizz every week. B&P is also available through the Live Audio Wrestling feed (also free).

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I laughed pretty hard at the All About That Roman song on the last B&V.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

whatsabattle posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the All About That Roman song on the last B&V.

It's been in my head all day since.

I signed up for the free month and carried on my subscription, it's really good at getting me through 8 hour nightshifts so I'm personally happy there are gonna be more shows just so I have something more to pass the time with. Although. Ryan from Cumberland, Maryland can get tae fook I'm sick of him, like. I feel everyone involved inwardly groan when he announces himself. He's making me hate the place and I've never been there.

The Austin thing makes sense to me, he's always saying how Cole is great at his job. And he is. It's just his job is not 'wrestling commentator' it's 'Able to shill multiple things at once whilst sounding excited and having an old man yell in your ear for 3 hours'. Which he's subtlety saying.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I think they go private like a month after release

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I see, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ though Gallows was loving drunk as hell on that latest Talkin' Shop :stare:

• Locked thread