Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah a PGI is what the game generates when it's trying to call an item into existence that it can't read.

Yeah I know this part but I'm not sure why I was getting them was my question.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Are you running any mods?

And yes, I am running a few mods. I did some tinkering and it turns out the "ore plants" mod was the one causing the problems. I uninstalled it and mined a few more silver and everything is working now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The only ore I'm having trouble finding is platinum. I can never find more than 1-2 ore in a "deposit", and I've already been to risky-level planets. Does it get more plentiful in Dangerous/Extreme?

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Weren't they going to fix the machine guns vs armor issue for this or did that just get added to the to-do list? Found there's still no point to the low-damage rapid-fire stuff, even if the dps is high, when you face non-monster NPCs.
Most I've found are pretty useless against armored enemies, true, but hey, right tool for the right job. Same reason I carry around both a huge hammer and a 1h slicer.

Slime posted:

So I guess now I've got to mine uranium and titanium to make durasteel? At least diamonds don't seem to be used for anything but picks and drills so I can make a ton of the fuckers.
Save some for your ship licenses, the black market dealer needs like 6 or so by the time you get to Class II.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think they need to go back to having a spread of difficulties over each tier of equipment, which would let people actually go do exploring stuff at the start of a new tier, instead of needing to tunnel into the earth as fast as they can to get a complete new set. Probably should re-tune grenade launchers (find a super slow one and go one-shot most things) and make the crafted set before the mine boss stronger. Add in a checkpoint in the snooze-room right before him, and would probably be ok.

The 2nd boss does less damage after armor than the lasers, has a really slow attack, and gives lots of time to heal. I'd like to hear a new players feedback, or someone who actually struggled with him. I'd want to say add in some low damage hard to avoid attack, and fix the out of range sniping.

Florian dungeon was pretty neat, though it is stupid that your buddy can't make the acid pit jumps after the gate. It would be good to make it possible for him to escape with you. The boss probably needs something more, maybe a scorpion style grappling-hook attack?

e: yea the machine gun weapons are terrible

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Most I've found are pretty useless against armored enemies, true, but hey, right tool for the right job. Same reason I carry around both a huge hammer and a 1h slicer.

Problem is stuff like sniper rifles are just as effective on regular monsters as they are on armoured enemies, while rapid fire ones are fine for regular monsters but suck against armour. The way armour works is a goddamn mess right now and just doesn't really do the job.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
lol don't get too excited to reorganize your chests when you get the ship upgrades, I picked up a few containers and a bunch of the contents evaporated when it all dropped on the floor

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's weird, Steam just started updating Starbound for me, for some reason.
...and it appears to have deleted the launcher.

Playing the executable manually, it looks like my large old chests now hold 24 instead of 16 items. So that's neat.
On further inspection, many of my containers are now larger.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 1, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Slime posted:

The way armour works

you know what they say, 5th time's the charm

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Same here. Worked again after using "verify integrity of game cache".

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Playing the executable manually, it looks like my large old chests now hold 24 instead of 16 items. So that's neat.
On further inspection, many of my containers are now larger.

Starbound - Update Queued here. Guess I'll back up my saves first in case they've decided to break stable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
For me, it updated on Steam but the launcher is still there :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is probably a really dumb question but I installed http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/ this mod, and the recipes aren't showing up.
The items are definitely in-game, I can access them via /admin, but on the wiring bench, where they're supposedly crafted, nothing shows up.

I know there was a problem in the old versions about adding new recipes when you have existing characters, is that still a thing? You'd have to go back and craft/use the items that unlocked the tiers or something like that.
If anyone's using this I'd appreciate the help. Seems like it would do a lot to make storage easier.

E: It looks like it might just be in the wrong crafting group? Adding "craftingtable" to the groups makes it show up there, but still nothing on the wire station where it should be. Problem seems to exist on the modder's side then.
E2: Yep. For some reason the recipes are tagged as craftable at "wirestation", but it should be "wiringstation". Easy fix.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So far the most annoying this is when my single player game semi-hangs, like you were on a server that timed out. Eventually it starts again, but still, that really shouldn't happen ever.

Anyone done much with the various staffs? I'm messing around with those, so far the glitch one is pretty terrible, mostly from the charge up time making you unable to move.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Are there any goon servers or goon-recommended servers running? It's been a while since I've played

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

ZypherIM posted:

So far the most annoying this is when my single player game semi-hangs, like you were on a server that timed out. Eventually it starts again, but still, that really shouldn't happen ever.

Anyone done much with the various staffs? I'm messing around with those, so far the glitch one is pretty terrible, mostly from the charge up time making you unable to move.

The time-out is bad, yeah. I'm running the religious bird staff and the human one; both are pretty good. Also have the Floran one, dunno how I feel about it.

Coordinates for Extreme Avian ship (has treasure map and Toucan armor):
X: 19445727
Y: 61080310

Beta Eta Ser 09 I
Go right from the spawn point. Constant dashing gets you there in a couple of minutes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If you revisit a mission after completing it, are the rewards available again? I ask because I got 20 durasteel bars at the end of the Floran Party mission and clearing that was way quicker than actually mining enough materials for that many durasteel bars. :v:

e: Yep, you get the durasteel again.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

If you revisit a mission after completing it, are the rewards available again? I ask because I got 20 durasteel bars at the end of the Floran Party mission and clearing that was way quicker than actually mining enough materials for that many durasteel bars. :v:
Go to a radioactive planet -- I recommend the jungle or alien types. Dig down to cavern layer. Titanium and uranium are everywhere.
This was my haul from a single fairly shallow spelunking trip down on a jungle planet:

Obviously it'd be quicker if you ignored the other ores, but hey I have a hard time leaving any ore unturned.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Slime posted:

Problem is stuff like sniper rifles are just as effective on regular monsters as they are on armoured enemies, while rapid fire ones are fine for regular monsters but suck against armour. The way armour works is a goddamn mess right now and just doesn't really do the job.

I'm pretty sure armor is just a percentage reduction though. I'll admit I didn't extensively test a variety of equipment, but my one-handed swords were dealing the same percentage of listed damage as my big hammer was. Though there are other reasons why low fire rate high damage weapons are better. You need to spend less time looking at your target, and you get more free energy from your last shot.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

I'm pretty sure armor is just a percentage reduction though. I'll admit I didn't extensively test a variety of equipment, but my one-handed swords were dealing the same percentage of listed damage as my big hammer was. Though there are other reasons why low fire rate high damage weapons are better. You need to spend less time looking at your target, and you get more free energy from your last shot.

It's not a percentage reduction as far as I can tell- I went to a high tier planet with an appropriately leveled assault rifle and shotgun (about 500 DPS for each) and the assault rifle did about 3 damage per hit to Miniknog enemies. The shotgun did absolutely no damage. Only my 567 damage plasma sniper rifle was able to damage them (and in fact did significant damage letting me kill them in 3-5 shots.) Armor is broken for ranged weapons.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Still loving around in the early tutorial, and I just burned 10 copper picks to get to the lowest layer of my starter planet where the fragments are.

Like, it's nice that they made the MM better and that it can get upgrades, but I'm not sure how I stand on picks being like consumables that you chew through. It's just fairly tedious to make your first dig with the MM and hunt for enough copper so that you can churn out a bag of picks and then dig again for proper amounts of ore :shrug:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It is tedious, but you could always aim the MM so it eats the 4 blocks under your feet, hold the mouse button and watch some tv for a bit while you bore your way down. After you grab your cores, save and exit and jump back in and you'll be at your ship.

The crystal gem staff seems decent, though it hurts you too so be careful. The robot making one is ok only if you know the enemy is going to on the other side of it, otherwise you completely wasted your time. I'm thinking maybe with the gravity tech to hover while you cast they'll be decent. Plenty of energy if you're wearing the rubium line armor.

Edit: It is terrible, the bubble breaks as soon as you start casting.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's amazing that the teleporter does not work underground, but save and quit does.

Why even bother. Also why do I have to run to the gate every time I am on the outpost?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Wow, I haven't played since last winter and boy has this come a far way, I think my favorite thing is that using coal for starship fuel is gone and now we get moon goo, I actually find harvesting moon goo kinda fun.

There isn't a magic mirror type thing for getting out of the center of planets yet is there? I sort of understand why they made it so you can't just teleport out way back when but god is climbing out of holes tedious.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

Wow, I haven't played since last winter and boy has this come a far way, I think my favorite thing is that using coal for starship fuel is gone and now we get moon goo, I actually find harvesting moon goo kinda fun.

There isn't a magic mirror type thing for getting out of the center of planets yet is there? I sort of understand why they made it so you can't just teleport out way back when but god is climbing out of holes tedious.

That is why I just save and quit. When you load your guy back in you'll be in your ship.

On the topic of armor, it is some sort of combination of % and flat. 2 weapons that both have 500-ish dps, the sniper rifle does around 50 a shot to the guys in the anti-grav building, the shotgun does around 5? Was able to kill one with the sniper rifle in maybe 5 shots, the shotgun ran out of energy. Bazooka still did enough to 1-shot them, so it is still the best! Some machine guns will be reduced to no damage.

e:

**PSA** Be careful using a bazooka, as enemies can shoot your shell. The explosion may hurt you.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tin Tim posted:

Still loving around in the early tutorial, and I just burned 10 copper picks to get to the lowest layer of my starter planet where the fragments are.

Like, it's nice that they made the MM better and that it can get upgrades, but I'm not sure how I stand on picks being like consumables that you chew through. It's just fairly tedious to make your first dig with the MM and hunt for enough copper so that you can churn out a bag of picks and then dig again for proper amounts of ore :shrug:

One suggestion that I think is a good idea, that could help at least a little with this general problem, is to make Core Fragments have some crafting purpose other than just the quest turn in. Like, you spend all this effort tediously grinding away to the core of the planet, and you end up with a massive mineshaft dug to the center of the planet, which should be a cool accomplishment. Instead, it doesn't have any real value, and it's just tossed aside as you immediately travel to the next planet where you can more easily dig up better ore. Sort of like the "building is pointless" issue - just as there is no point in building an elaborate base, there's also no point in building an elaborate mine, since you're better off just moving to a higher-tier world.

If, instead, building a tunnel to the Core of your starter planet meant you had gained access to an otherwise closed-off resource that was really useful, it wouldn't feel so much like you'd just wasted your time on something pointless. (whether it improves weapons, or you build mechs/vehicles with it, or even just something cosmetic like glowing furniture & tiles)

The way down would still be boring, but at least you'd feel good about it once you got there instead of thinking "this is bullshit". And the "digging down to the core is boring" issue can be addressed separately with speed upgrades & more & better underground content - biomes, dungeons, better monsters & NPCs.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 1, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
What do you need to survive on radioactive planets? a certain nanosuit? is it something you get from outpost quests?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

What do you need to survive on radioactive planets? a certain nanosuit? is it something you get from outpost quests?

A nanosuit. Yes. Yes.

After you've killed the penguin UFO there should be a quest from a Hylotl to collect 300 kelp from an ocean planet. That quest rewards you with the anti-radiation suit. The anti rad suit also allows you to breathe without air, so it's a straight upgrade to your current suit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:nws::nws:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Game worth actually picking up again after over a year of nothing?

Gonna guess no but hey maybe I'll be surprised this time.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This game done yet?

I liked it when it was in the oven but wanted the finished cake. Call me when the timer goes off.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
E: Wow, wrong page.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Drinkfist posted:

This game done yet?

I liked it when it was in the oven but wanted the finished cake. Call me when the timer goes off.

I put a good 30 hours into the winter update stable getting from scratch to current end (tier 5? It looks like they've pulled 6-10 until they can get plot structure in for it, but with the new branching after durasteel it's hard to gauge - the numbers are definitely lower than the old tier 10). I'd say worth it to take a look if you haven't played in a long while.

Caveat: QoL mods go a looooooong way towards smoothing the ride out.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Whoa, this thread moves fast >_>

Bilal posted:

Putting in any kind of economy to this game (letting you sell items) would totally break the game and it would take them forever to balance it. A wooden table, crafted just from wood planks, is "worth" 300 pixels.

Well, there's different ways to go about it. Having ore merchants that have a randomized (on a timer maybe?), percentage-based fluctation (+- 25% of standard value or something) that are tied to type of village (eg. Avian villages buy copper for +17% and Monkey villages sell for -20% one day then it changes the other day etc) would add alot to re-visiting planets if some progression (like ship upgrades) was optional and cost alot.

Hell, this could even be expanded to having your own merchant npcs that require a player-built structure on a planet with a village that slowly trade and give you the earnings after a few hours of gameplay.

I just want to build my poop-dirt empire, dammit! buying low, selling high! Poop, poop, poop!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Come to think of it, there's a lot that's done, but (temporarily?) out of the game. Copper, silver, gold, etc. generic armors, monster noises beyond beeping and booping (I'm pretty sure they used to be able to growl and whinny), stuff like that. I'm sure most of it will find its way back into the game in one way or another.
Then of course there's planned content like Hylotl settlements, teleport systems, multiple bookmarks, more deco block crafting, etc.

And then let's not forget this guy.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Vib Rib posted:

monster noises beyond beeping and booping (I'm pretty sure they used to be able to growl and whinny)

Yeah they basically just had "dog.mp3" and "horse.mp3" in previous builds. I'm going to guess it's been placeholder sounds all the way down.

Procedural monster cries would be cool.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

Come to think of it, there's a lot that's done, but (temporarily?) out of the game. Copper, silver, gold, etc. generic armors, monster noises beyond beeping and booping (I'm pretty sure they used to be able to growl and whinny), stuff like that. I'm sure most of it will find its way back into the game in one way or another.
Then of course there's planned content like Hylotl settlements, teleport systems, multiple bookmarks, more deco block crafting, etc.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot about the crazy real-world animal noises. The best parts was the sounds never fit at all. Space-rabbits would whinny like a horse, and laser bird monstrosities would bark like a dog or moo like a cow seemingly at total random. I would have been 1000% happy with that.

Did the mechs & speeder bikes & cars get temporarily taken out, too? One of the devs wants to put in a system where you craft individual pieces of the machines. Which would be cool but on the other hand, feature creep, so I kinda hope they put that off for now. I'm not sure the half-finished enemy capturing system is still in the game, either, or if it's been taken out until it's more baked.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Enemy capturing is in, because it's more functional than the others, but still has a long way to go.

Even if it takes years, if they end up delivering on all these ideas they have, it'll be a pretty amazing game. As I'm sure dozens of posters are waiting to point out though, that's a colossal "if". Time will tell, though.
Lots and lots and lots of time.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hell, this could even be expanded to having your own merchant npcs that require a player-built structure on a planet with a village that slowly trade and give you the earnings after a few hours of gameplay.

I just want to build my poop-dirt empire, dammit! buying low, selling high! Poop, poop, poop!

Yeah Chucklefish let me build a trading post and ferry raw materials around X3/Elite/other space sims style. Or let me smuggle illegal stuff in my big freighter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Been over a year since I tried out Starbound. Looks like they got rid of all the pickaxes and just went with the Matter Manipulator as your default tool for all occasions, huh? I can't complain, keeping track of a billion picks was annoying.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Speedball posted:

Been over a year since I tried out Starbound. Looks like they got rid of all the pickaxes and just went with the Matter Manipulator as your default tool for all occasions, huh? I can't complain, keeping track of a billion picks was annoying.

Hahaha no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Fully upgraded, the Matter Manipulator is 4x4 and cuts through stone faster than a pick. I'm really glad they focused on that rather than splitting up via tools, much like how Terraria eventually abandoned having to use hammers and axes for foreground items.

• Locked thread