Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's kind of best to just go MST3K mantra on the age and timeline stuff, there just isn't anything they can do besides keep it fuzzy since the kids are just gonna keep aging like crazy. They cast more with the first season in mind, and they did an amazing job of it. If they went any younger, the kids would not have had the acting chops for the roles. I think only Bran really seems like he aged totally out of the role for suspension of disbelief.

I can deal without sexualizing Sansa for sure though, but I don't think there's much need to freak out over a potential bath scene that I assume isn't going to show anything.

Next season (or season after next rather) they should just get the guy who played the original Mountain to play Bran. Completely straight too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Frostwerks posted:

Next season (or season after next rather) they should just get the guy who played the original Mountain to play Bran. Completely straight too.

:laugh:

Myrcella can be played by Helen Mirren.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I'm kinda disturbed by the shot of Sansa in a tub; I know Sophie Turner is like 19 now, but the character had explicitly been said to be 14 on the show. It would be creepy if they start sexualizing her now.

Well, she pretty explicitly began trying to seduce Littlefinger last season, so I think that train has sailed already.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 1, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I think the Maleficent dress was the giveaway.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
She was married already. A lot of the themes about her character are about being on the edge between girlhood and womanhood, so it's not so terrible they push some of those uncomfortable buttons. It can just go creepy so quick if it isn't done well.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm kinda disturbed by the shot of Sansa in a tub; I know Sophie Turner is like 19 now, but the character had explicitly been said to be 14 on the show. It would be creepy if they start sexualizing her now.
Tough luck on that, given that Sansa's whole story is about her hymen (and, to be fair, plotting). Have you missed all the talk about her getting her first period, being 'ready to marry', almost-rapes and so on in the previous seasons? It's Chekhov's virginity.

Now combine that with that she apparently shot a fairly heavy scene for the season.

Myself, I think I'll be pretty happy when the sex finally happens, just so that the storyline can move on.

e: And it's Thrones. Of course it'll be creepy. Think of the creepiest way it can happen, and it'll probably be it.

meristem fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 1, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

This is true, but even GRRM is usually a bit kinder with the Stark kids in regards to the creepiness, period bed burning aside. Sansa does get the worst of it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This is true, but even GRRM is usually a bit kinder with the Stark kids in regards to the creepiness, period bed burning aside. Sansa does get the worst of it.
It depends on what you define as 'creepiest', I guess. For me, for example, that'd be if she does it with Littlefinger willingly. Well, 'willingly'.

Of course, if that happens, I can see the id parts of Twitter responding with '#bitchSansa hosed #herfatherskiller #myniggaNed'. Leading, in due course, to other parts of Twitter talking about '#Sansagate #modernwalkofshame'.

...Next seasons Sansa can learn that LF betrayed Ned, and how she got played.

I'd really love to know Aidan Gillen's thoughts, though. He started out playing your standard 'manipulative advisor'. Now, it's turned out he's playing a pedophile. Did they tell him that when he signed on?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Well, she pretty explicitly began trying to seduce Littlefinger last season, so I think that train has sailed already.

Dany had a tubshot in S1 Sansa needs to catch up :colbert:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Reminder that 15 (?)-year old Arya seduces Raff the Sweetling and then stabs him to death in her pre-released TWOW chapter.

e: my bad, she's still 12 at that point :gonk:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 1, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Well not a reminder because I'm not reading pre-release stuff. :P Not complaining, there is no way to break down these threads to provide one for everybody who is everywhere in the story. For pure amusement purposes we are going to need a thread for book readers who aren't watching the show as it moves past the published content. TV viewers buying spoiler avatars for them and such.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

meristem posted:

Tough luck on that, given that Sansa's whole story is about her hymen (and, to be fair, plotting).

This a strong contender for creepiest sentence in this thread lol.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

meristem posted:

I'd really love to know Aidan Gillen's thoughts, though. He started out playing your standard 'manipulative advisor'. Now, it's turned out he's playing a pedophile. Did they tell him that when he signed on?

But she's 19? I bet he prefers it to the sex scenes in Queer as Folk.

Pretty sure all the creepyness from GoT is going to be dwarfed when she appears as Jean Grey in X-Men, assuming they keep any influence from the comic book costumes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hexel posted:

Dany had a tubshot in S1 Sansa needs to catch up :colbert:

Dany is the only character who bathes in the GoT universe, and she bathes constantly.

wooger posted:

But she's 19?

Exactly, and Margaery's in her 30s, which will make her hymen plotline loving hysterical if they go through with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31063205

Apparently Danny Dyer went for the role of Pyp (and two others) and was rejected, and now he's bitter as gently caress about it.

A small part of me wishes he could get a part just to see how terrible he'd be. Let him be one of the Freys that Wyman kills or something.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

meristem posted:

It depends on what you define as 'creepiest', I guess. For me, for example, that'd be if she does it with Littlefinger willingly. Well, 'willingly'.

Of course, if that happens, I can see the id parts of Twitter responding with '#bitchSansa hosed #herfatherskiller #myniggaNed'. Leading, in due course, to other parts of Twitter talking about '#Sansagate #modernwalkofshame'.

...Next seasons Sansa can learn that LF betrayed Ned, and how she got played.

Aidan Gillen is one of the few actors who read the books after being cast, so he sorta knew I guess. Then again, last season he was saying he thinks Littlefinger views Sansa in a "fatherly" way, so I don't know what he thought he was reading.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It's possible that Littlefinger sees her as only a protege and is just a really creepy dude I guess :shrug:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 1, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Beeez posted:

Then again, last season he was saying he thinks Littlefinger views Sansa in a "fatherly" way, so I don't know what he thought he was reading.

maybe he meant fatherly in a Josef Fritzl type way

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

loquacius posted:

It's possible that Littlefinger sees her as only a protege and is just a really creepy dude I guess :shrug:

Combination of both. He's basically trying to pretend she's his daughter with Cat but at the same time she looks like Cat so he's attracted to her.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well not a reminder because I'm not reading pre-release stuff. :P Not complaining, there is no way to break down these threads to provide one for everybody who is everywhere in the story. For pure amusement purposes we are going to need a thread for book readers who aren't watching the show as it moves past the published content. TV viewers buying spoiler avatars for them and such.

I'm looking forward to all the show only people not realising it's moved past the books so I can just start making up random crap about what I think is going to happen next, and they'll treat it as sage dispensations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Aye Doc posted:

maybe he meant fatherly in a Josef Fritzl type way

You mean a Craster type way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

computer parts posted:

Combination of both. He's basically trying to pretend she's his daughter with Cat but at the same time she looks like Cat so he's attracted to her.

That's how I've read their relationship: delusional fantasy, semi-incestuous

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

I agree with that characterization, but as I recall Aidan Gillen talked like he didn't think there was anything untoward going on when he was interviewed last year, and that's where I wonder what he's talking about. Maybe it's that thing a lot of actors do where they have to view their character as a good guy because that's what the character would think.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aegon was thought up at least as early as Clash of Kings, though.

The conversation overheard between Varys and Illyrio by Arya in GoT only really makes sense if they're talking about Aegon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

He's trying to gently caress Cat by proxy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm pretty confident he doesn't wind up loving her. Sansa's going to usurp him. If he does try to molest her it'll be under the influence of alcohol.

VVV he's not Howland.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 1, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm excited to see the High Sparrow. Pryce looks perfect for the role. His line in the trailer certainly conveys smug stoicism well enough.

Incidentally, the High Sparrow is at the center of one of my favorite fan theories. Supposedly, he's Howland Reed. The evidence? They are short, roughly the same age, and the High Sparrow has nasty feet, like a someone from The Neck.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Big Bug Hug posted:

Tell me more about this app, it sounds fun.

I don't know if it's a standalone app or just automatically on for Kindle, but it worked just like wikipedia basically where there'd be little annotations you could hover over to see the top 10 or whatever user limit you set it to comments on whatever section of text you wanted, it didn't last long like that because you'd have idiots putting it after every word to troll so they changed it where you could have master list of only highly rated comments show up, etc.

It made the re-read of AFFC/ADWD worth it because there's a master list of theories you can also use at the same time that includes all the major ones, a lot of possible but not likely and the batshit merman ones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

William Bear posted:

I'm excited to see the High Sparrow. Pryce looks perfect for the role. His line in the trailer certainly conveys smug stoicism well enough.

Incidentally, the High Sparrow is at the center of one of my favorite fan theories. Supposedly, he's Howland Reed. The evidence? They are short, roughly the same age, and the High Sparrow has nasty feet, like a someone from The Neck.

It's a stretch, especially considering that Howland Reed is definitely an Old Gods worshipper, but he and the High Sparrow do share a particular disposition toward loving up the Lannister administration. That and the height/feet thing are basically the only things the theory has going for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Professor Shark posted:

That's how I've read their relationship: delusional fantasy, semi-incestuous

That's pretty much how I read it too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that out of everything I'm excited for in the coming season, the stuff at King's Landing ranks the highest for me:

> Cersei chewing scenery
> The high chruch's take-over
> Pycelle's mad scientist poo poo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sector_corrector posted:

> Pycelle's mad scientist poo poo

Qyburn. Pycelle will meet with an unfortunate accident mid-series I believe.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am rewatching season 4. Dany's acting as a queen is much worse than her as a teenager damsel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Qyburn. Pycelle will meet with an unfortunate accident mid-series I believe.

I really like Qyburn's arc. When you first meet him he seems sympathetic and that maybe the Maesters was prejudiced when they kicked him out. Then it turns out that he's basically the Westeros version of Mengele and that the Maesters was not only right in kicking him out but that they should've killed him and made sure that the coffin he was buried in was nailed shut.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

William Bear posted:

Is that him saying "strip away the gold, knock down the statues, and this is what remains"? I thought it sounded like Pryce but I wasn't sure.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

whatever7 posted:

I am rewatching season 4. Dany's acting as a queen is much worse than her as a teenager damsel.

This really lets you know just how much an Emmy nomination really is just popularity contest because she managed to get laughed off Broadway and an Emmy nom in the same year for doing the same bad acting in both.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Midnight City posted:

This really lets you know just how much an Emmy nomination really is just popularity contest because she managed to get laughed off Broadway and an Emmy nom in the same year for doing the same bad acting in both.

Really? Are there any reviews around?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Midnight City posted:

I'm not saying he dies on a chicken bone, I'm saying that he's almost assuredly only exists to do what GRRM couldn't figure out a way for Dany to be doing and that's making progress in Westeros, so I've firmly hitched my star to 'he's going to end up being a worthless rear end pulled character that I never, ever want to read another page about' in Penny/Quentyn fashion.

Isn't that obvious, though? That's basically what Tyrion tells him, that it would be easier to win Dany's favor if he, rather than being like Dany and spending too long waiting for the right moment, just go over to Westeros and becomes the Targaryen who actually starts his Westerosian conquest.

But I find it strange how someone could be upset that a character was created with the intent to fill a role. I'm sure Eddard was created to die in the first book, that Theon was created in order to be tortured and redeemed, and Jon was created in order to become Lord Commander and "die". In that respect, then yes, Aegon was created in order to go to Westeros and start conquering it before Dany does and probably die in the next book but why does that matter?

Unzip and Attack posted:

The conversation overheard between Varys and Illyrio by Arya in GoT only really makes sense if they're talking about Aegon.

Really? In what respect? I don't doubt that GRRM could've had things in store for Aegon at a very early point but I also don't doubt the opposite could be possible.

Midnight City posted:

Yeah she doesn't make a good impression but then again I think that the character of Dany is probably the most difficult one to portray in the entire series.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mischitary posted:

Yeah she doesn't make a good impression but then again I think that the character of Dany is probably the most difficult one to portray in the entire series.

Thats no the reason to excuse her. Maybe the difficulty of Dany's role is a 8, compare to let's say a 10 for Theon's role, or Jaime's role, but Emilia Clarke only brought the performance of a 2 to the table. COMEH WITH ME IF YOU WANTTA WHERE R MAH DRRAGOONNS?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

While I think her acting leaves a lot to be desired (outside of s1, most of s2 and Valarian gibberish ) I don't think she is as downright awful as most people really. Its corny but serviceable now actingwise.

• Locked thread