Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
The 99% proc on vaadwaur weapons was a bug and will be dropping down to 2.5% sometime, so enjoy it while you can. Also, supposedly the beam emitters act like beams (affected by +beam consoles and beam skills) but look like cannons when they shoot, if anyone wants to play space dress-up with their ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles posted:

That's a hilarious thread to read. What's puzzling about that guy is he'll spell "done" correctly in one sentence, then spell it "dune" for the next three pages.

That's what being stumble down drunk does to ya.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

Also, supposedly the beam emitters act like beams (affected by +beam consoles and beam skills) but look like cannons when they shoot, if anyone wants to play space dress-up with their ships.
:stare:

brb making vaadwaur polaron beam set

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also for the record, if the particle collection daily chooses ESD space as one of the objectives it is impossible to complete. Collecting particles will never trigger the objective. I have a suspicion that it's flagged for the old ESD space map or something. And no, dropping and retaking the mission doesn't give you a new selection.

No ship for me today. :toot: Good job on the QA Cryptic, surely the scenario of "does event quest in a prominent zone" would never have come up during testing.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

g0del posted:

if you don't like the zombie command boff.

Did they add a kobali bridge officer? I missed that. Where do you get it from?

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
There's an engineer/command officer hidden in the maze part of the featured episode where you get to listen to Harry Kim whine at Harry Kim about Harry Kim. Closer to the exit, I think.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lock Knight posted:

There's an engineer/command officer hidden in the maze part of the featured episode where you get to listen to Harry Kim whine at Harry Kim about Harry Kim. Closer to the exit, I think.
According to pubbies, the location can change. She's somewhere in the maze. Have fun looking!

Also, you can play dress-up with her, and give her caitian tail/hands. Devs confirmed that was a bug, but didn't say if only the caitian stuff was a bug, or if you're not supposed to be able to change the uniform at all. Either way, probably best to grab the boff quickly in case they fix it the way they fixed the sontaran boff.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think the kobali boff position is random in the maze, or at least in three or four different spots. I've seen people say near the start and the end, while I found her about midway through.

Basically just check all the dead ends. It's an actual NPC standing around so she's impossible to miss if you're actively looking for her. The boff is rewarded right away so you don't have to finish the quest again if you don't want to. Shame her traits are crap, but eh, free unique boff.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo now I gotta run that loving maze on a few chars. Thanks for the info.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
She actually shows up as a marked objective on the mini-map (she did for me at least), so it's just a matter of finding her.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also on the Vaadwaur weapon procs...

Borticus posted:

Ughfffhhghguhhfg... That was set to 99% for testing only, and was reduced to the standard 2.5% proc rate just before it went live. I guess that change didn't actually make it into the build.

99% proc rate is a bug, and will get changed. Sorry about that.
... :ughh: Basic QA failures for quests? Internal test builds pushed live? Just how rushed and half-assed was this patch?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Also on the Vaadwaur weapon procs...

... :ughh: Basic QA failures for quests? Internal test builds pushed live? Just how rushed and half-assed was this patch?
Borticus just mentioned in another thread that the proc stacks if multiple people are using it. Which should mean some new DPS and speed records once the spergs start playing with it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Wow! People might actually win an Elite queue now ... until the hotfix.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Super confused why anyone gives a gently caress about the new weapon proc. Unless you're running 7/8 slots as torpedoes it shouldn't matter as shield strength is never the problem, its knocking down millions of hull hp that takes forever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mostly folks flailing for an excuse to use awesome pew pew SFX space guns really. Also flailing for an excuse to use torpedoes at all ever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kesper North posted:

Flee for your life. PWE has run this poo poo into the ground. I'm getting my Star Trek fix with the Armada 3 mod for Sins these days.

Can I get a link to this mod?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ramadu posted:

Can I get a link to this mod?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

Scroll down to "Latest Downloads" and get the Installer version, as well as the zipfile for the 1.1 patch. Installation is simple, but most of the scenarios require the Forbidden Worlds DLC ($3.99 iirc) in addition to Sins: Rebellion. What you get is pretty fantastic and the models are really nice, but don't forget to run the little utility that gives the mod access to more than 2 GB of RAM, or else your game will crash after a minute or two of playtime. Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassian/Dominion and Borg are all playable; Borg are hilariously OP. I restarted my game after reenacting Wolf 359 a couple of times.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And yes, Mirandas are absolutely your cannon fodder; Defiants are nearly unkillable and very nasty. Excelsiors are great all-around cruisers too.

Humorously, true to DS9/TNG, the Constitution Refit is not in the game. At all. Just like the TV shows. :)

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Between that and the stuff that shows up in the Star Wars threads I really should get a copy of sins rebellion or whatever that is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kesper North posted:

And yes, Mirandas are absolutely your cannon fodder; Defiants are nearly unkillable and very nasty. Excelsiors are great all-around cruisers too.

Humorously, true to DS9/TNG, the Constitution Refit is not in the game. At all. Just like the TV shows. :)

Mostly because all their models are taken direct from Armada and Armada 2. They're using assets from Star Trek Online for icons as well.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Now that I actually have the Kobali ship, I spent a while grinding up the trait and trying out the available Command spec space skills. The bridge officer change is paying off already; I just trained my boff in all the ones at the vendor simultaneously, then I could just quickly slot in a new skill between battles or maps.

The Samsar itself is... mediocre. It's a lot more nimble than a ship that size looks like, the inertia must be relatively low and 7 turn is plenty, especially if you slap a tachyokinetic console or the like onto it. The problem is it's very clearly designed as a tanking/support cruiser in a PVE metagame where neither of those roles are really necessary. Ens/Lt. tac seating just isn't enough; you can get away with TT/APB1+FAW1 with Reciprocity, or FAW1/APB1+FAW1 without, but either layout is a bit cramped and leaves something out. While having a Com/Lt.Com engineering seating split is fine since a single commander engineer seat is plenty and this gives enough room to mess with several command skills, I can't help but wonder how much better the ship would have been if they swapped the Lt.Com science with the Lt. tac seat.

As for the command skills... they're kinda underwhelming. There's some fun gimmicks in there and the SFX is top notch, but there's no real comparison to the highlights of the Intel set or the mainstays of the three primary professions. If there were command skills that you could sub in for attack patterns or tac team like you can with surgical strikes and weapon skills then that would be one thing, but there's nothing quite like that Almost no direct offense boosts, there's control-style debuffs but not much that increases damage, and while a lot of the heals and buffs are fairly strong they invariably require either paying attention to static zones (good luck in a pug), holding relatively still (crap as long as pedal to the metal remains so strong), or both. I'm sure there's some good uses there that I'm missing - this was just half an hour of loving around in Argala and CCA - but I couldn't help but feel I'd really rather have just had Override Subsystem Safeties instead of Reroute Power from Life Support, or APO/APB instead of Phalanx Formation which will either send you out of range and be ignored by teammates.

I'm welcome to be proved wrong anyway. Overwhelm emitters seems like a good low-rank skill for some extra shield damage and healing against boss-type targets for example. But, eh. :effort:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The Omega Tech Upgrades don't actually give 4x quality improvement chance like the tooltip says, they only give 2x, same as an experimental tech upgrade.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

hakimashou posted:

The Omega Tech Upgrades don't actually give 4x quality improvement chance like the tooltip says, they only give 2x, same as an experimental tech upgrade.

Not even surprised at this point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

.... :geno:

Well, still going to hoard a few. No cost double-tech-point experimental upgrades are still kinda useful. Just no point in using any of them until it's either fixed or it's clear it was an "error" on the tooltip.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Asimo posted:

.... :geno:

Well, still going to hoard a few. No cost double-tech-point experimental upgrades are still kinda useful. Just no point in using any of them until it's either fixed or it's clear it was an "error" on the tooltip.

ya im gonna keep getting them because the minigame is some of the best content and there isnt much else to do

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I'm gonna keep getting them for project gamedead.jpg.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hakimashou posted:

ya im gonna keep getting them because the minigame is some of the best content and there isnt much else to do

It's pretty good when it's not lagging. Way better than the dilithium drill or Tau Dewa radiation scans.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I have been in so many failed ground PUGs this morning it is breathtaking. Also did they make the alarm bugs tougher? I always seem to be the only one who catches up with it but can't kill it solo in time so this has lead to more than a handful of BGE where we just fail the mission in ten seconds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been using the site-to-site ensnare kit to grab the alarm bugs. Bonus if you're an engineer and have time to drop a minefield first.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Thanks, that worked. Though still haven't run with a PUG that has managed to dps down the spawnmother.

Edit: three tries later and finally got a group that could DPS down the queen. The site to site module helps a lot with the alarm bugs too. There's some kind of server lag making firing and using abilities incredibly unresponsive so it gives a good cushion. What's funny is even though it actually takes more than twenty seconds to kill, no one does the bomb placing objective still. I have no idea how it works or what it adds to the reward. The progress bar doesn't move, I imagine the star fleet guy just runs into a corner and is immediately knocked out.

Borg ground queues are still really easy, I'm guessing the only people brave enough to do those has at least a clue what to do.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 1, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This thread is good

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1364151

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:

That thread is indeed amazing.

The TL;DR (but you really should read it all) is a racist bigot failing to realize that he is one:

"Edit: I cannot accurately predict how people would comprehend what I say; I do not want to give super human effort into this game like a super gamer from japan, nor do I want to slave over this game like a dog. I am not an asian, nor a dog, so I am not an asian dog, simple enough. (later) Ban?!... wait, it says what I said was wrong?
Hate speech, especially heinous... but I did not hate asians nor dogs; I feel asians are out of my league, and I feel sorry for dogs... I must deliver an explanation!"

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22031781&postcount=14

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This sort of clueless idiocy combined with stubborn obstinance is always hilarious. :munch:

EDIT: Unrelated... I was right about the event issues, Cryptic just hosed up when assigning the omega nodes to maps. The Bajor space one is broken so that nodes don't appear... except they appear in the "Crack in the mirror" mission map version instead. The ESD/SFA mixup was a bit harder to explain, but this one is literally just the person responsible searching for a 'bajor' map to put the nodes and not even doing basic tests to make sure he got the right one. Amazing.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 1, 2015

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
If anyone receives Bajor Space as an objective in the Omega particle scanning daily, it is bugged. Cryptic put the Omega Particles on the wrong Bajor map. To reach them you have to play the mission "Crack in the Mirror" which is in the Cardassian mission arc. After the ground portion and first space part, you are asked to warp to Bajor VII. This is the map where the Omega particles are.

edit: meh, beaten

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

This is glorious.

Edit: I realize that my posting nickname is racialstereotype. Maybe I shouldn't have posted.

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 1, 2015

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

That loving thread

Some Constitutional Scholar posted:

Same thing happened to me back in Oct 2014 with a reference I made to PWE that was taken the wrong way. So it would seem that there is no freedom of speech in the forums even though Cryptic/PWE are US companies & should honor the US Constitution & Bill of Rights.

Edit:
Oh god I just got to all the people coming in to say "I'm not a racist but I believe a bunch of dumb racist bullshit about Asians"

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 1, 2015

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Great, now an actual cat has responded to the thread and demands to not be considered an animal.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"I'm not a racist but..." STO edition.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22039111&postcount=146

Cromarty has weighed in.

He's quit the game because they "reprogrammed" his account and stole his boff powers and has reported them to the police for it.

(Read: too dumb to figure out the new boff stations thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

OP in that thread is Archie Bunker and doesn't even realize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQfASpUYKSU

• Locked thread