Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Please note that article is from 2013, the current president is working to end the ban on abortions

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-31076838

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Nenonen posted:

Please note that article is from 2013, the current president is working to end the ban on abortions

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-31076838

Yea, I should have remembered to specify that it was the former president, I had recently listened to the radio about attempts to change abort laws in Ireland and Latin America.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

If the SS managed to find out about the magic water pyramid scheme cartoonist I think they can handle Chris Muir without our help

I'm not saying reporting Muir is a good idea for anyone here to do. Unlike Electronic Tiger I'd imagine a call from Federal Agents would only put fuel on the fire rather than calm him down. I'm just saying that it really doesn't matter if we do or don't think Muir personally will take a shot at the President. The Secret Service looks into people expressing particularly murderous views toward the sitting President. Muir's recent comic does rise to that level (especially given his.. more than hostile view of the Federal government and the people who work for it) but that doesn't mean we should try to report him. While the fallout may be amusing to us, it's probably best he stays irrelevant and ignored.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

So should we report him to the Secret Service? I'd say he's long overdue for a visit, but on the other hand he seems to want to be a martyr and we'd just be giving him what he wants. On the other, other hand, he doesn't seem to fully grasp that being a martyr means actually suffering.

I'm curious which part of the government Muir thinks WILL BE fired. The current presidential administration that has won reelection and by all the laws of the United States is free to serve out the rest of their allotted term? Or does it count as "being fired" when they are replaced with the next Democratic administration because the GOP has polarized itself so badly that it can't possibly field a good candidate in the general without ruining them first?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

loquacius posted:

I'm curious which part of the government Muir thinks WILL BE fired. The current presidential administration that has won reelection and by all the laws of the United States is free to serve out the rest of their allotted term? Or does it count as "being fired" when they are replaced with the next Democratic administration because the GOP has polarized itself so badly that it can't possibly field a good candidate in the general without ruining them first?

Pththya-lyi posted:

That reminds me: IIRC it's been about 9 months since Muir predicted that a new American Civil War would happen "within the next year." He must be so disappointed that nothing's really happened on that front.

I think he believes that the current federal officials will be literally fired - from a cannon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The fact he gets posted on here regularly is more readership than he deserves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
New MacKay:

Alberta's economy is tanking because they're completely reliant on oil (one estimate has government revenue falling 17%, and their Premier is going to try and produce balanced budgets anyway by mercilessly cutting the public service) and suddenly, surprise surprise, the federal government is talking about how Canada's economy is more than just the energy industry and how Ontario manufacturing is also important.

MacKay also reposted a colourized version of a cartoon he made 17 years ago, when the Canadian dollar nosedived against the US one. He had a way more crosshatchy style back then. I like his new stuff way better.

Original:

Remake:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

I really cannot believe that you all think the guy who sits in a dilapidated house all day cruising GIS for images to trace is any kind of a threat to one of the most well-protected people in the world. poo poo, it'd be a challenge for him to afford a trip to DC.

If anything, I'd be more worried about him inspiring his wackjob readers to do something terrible. Muir's a fringe rear end in a top hat, sure, but it takes a special kind of person to think his trash is not only good, but worth spending money on.

Political Cartoons 2015: Can he even afford to be an assassin?

I choose to believe this is Washington ruthlessly devouring Mallard Filmore. :allears:

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014
I'd like to imagine that it's some guy's job at the FBI to follow seditious and conspiratorial cartoons from lunatics on Facebook. Every so often, when he gets tired of Muir's crap, he just quietly reports nudity to Facebook and gets Muir temp-banned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

El Scotch posted:

The fact he gets posted on here regularly is more readership than he deserves.

Wait why does Day by Day get posted here?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Thread relic/tradition. He's one of the longest running personas featured here, through all the iterations of the thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lies. It's for the tittays, admit it
:stonk::fh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The league has handcuffed this referee to the ball against his will (hence his reaction) in order to ensure he does his job properly and measures the goddamn balls. A Good Cartoon.
:patssay:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He gave 6,000,000,005 jihadi generals to the Taliban

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Probably a better way to gently caress with Muir would be by contacting the people/organizations that own the images he vectorizes and letting them know he's violating their copyright. At least a few of his victims are bound to raise a stink about it, and it's more likely to ruin his credibility as an artist amongst his readers.

He's not, they won't and it won't.

Erenthal posted:

Thread relic/tradition. He's one of the longest running personas featured here, through all the iterations of the thread.

Doubt that. I don't recall him ever showing up in LF. It's mainly posted because if you complain about it, it gets posted even harder out of spite. And there are fewer active political cartoonist every week.

Edit: vv yeah, that. He angrys up the blood, which is the point of this thread.

duz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 1, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Muir is posted because we come here to read things that make us angry and Muir consistently makes us angry. He is frequently egregiously wrong in obvious ways and a legendarily bad person, which makes him an easy target. He is natural fodder for this thread.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

He's also got a distinctive style that makes it easy just to scroll past every time.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

He's not, they won't and it won't.

Doubt that. I don't recall him ever showing up in LF. It's mainly posted because if you complain about it, it gets posted even harder out of spite. And there are fewer active political cartoonist every week.

Muir is featured in the OP of the 2010 LF thread, and that means he's probably posted in the 2009 thread but thats around 1000 pages of LF posts to trawl through.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VitalSigns posted:

Because there is no God and no justice. Chaos reigns. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. :kheldragar:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Muir is the thread's window into the mind of the conservative poor. Most right wing political cartoonists punch down, but he punches himself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Erenthal posted:

Muir is featured in the OP of the 2010 LF thread, and that means he's probably posted in the 2009 thread but thats around 1000 pages of LF posts to trawl through.

Man, he's been abandoning plotlines faster than I remember. It really does seem like he's only done a couple years worth, not half a decade.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

It is amazing to me that Day by Day started as a published strip about a group of friends who worked at a tech company together and is now about that same group of friends living on a ranch in Texas fantasizing about killing the President. None of them have jobs, all of them live off of the charity of their parents even though they all have children themselves, and they can't seem to accomplish anything other than being angry at a black man for holding a job that seems to have absolutely zero affect on their day to day lives.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Kelly parodies are always worth the extra laugh. Here's one I just found:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

bassguitarhero posted:

It is amazing to me that Day by Day started as a published strip about a group of friends who worked at a tech company together and is now about that same group of friends living on a ranch in Texas fantasizing about killing the President. None of them have jobs, all of them live off of the charity of their parents even though they all have children themselves, and they can't seem to accomplish anything other than being angry at a black man for holding a job that seems to have absolutely zero affect on their day to day lives.

Draw what you know.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mister Beeg posted:

Andrew Dobson made a comic that's...not awful?!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Proof that it's not really Dobson.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I mean, he had to completely crib another person's style and schtick to do so, but that's still a big step up for him!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh jeez you just ruined it for me, thanks a lot :mad:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mehuyael posted:

Proof that it's not really Dobson.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I mean, he had to completely crib another person's style and schtick to do so, but that's still a big step up for him!

loquacius posted:

Oh jeez you just ruined it for me, thanks a lot :mad:

Actually I take my post back, I just noticed that the Hardworking Artist with a College Degree is a Dobson self-insert. Comic sucks.

MUH COLLEGE DEGREE:qq:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I seriously can't tell if it's an actual Dobson or an appropriation of the Kelly style specifically to take a dig at Dobson.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

loquacius posted:

The league has handcuffed this referee to the ball against his will (hence his reaction) in order to ensure he does his job properly and measures the goddamn balls. A Good Cartoon.
:patssay:

It's a reference to the nuclear football from the seminal comic, watchmen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dobson didn't do that comic

Actually I take my post back, I just noticed that the Hardworking Artist with a College Degree is a Dobson self-insert. Comic sucks.

MUH COLLEGE DEGREE:qq:

Kelly does that all the time, it's part of the joke

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
It's not Dobson. Some artist named Nougats.

If you look her up, beware that she does a ton of NSFW stuff.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

It’s “never again’ time again.

The beginning of January marked the murder of 4 Jews at a Kosher market as part of the Charlie Hebdo cartoonist massacre. Last week marked the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp.

Also last week, Dr. Krauthammer and Professor Victor Davis Hanson wrote about the current status of Jews in the world. “Never again” isn’t a sure thing. Anti-semitism has been the norm in Europe “for millennia” reports Krauthammer. The murder of 6 million Jews by the losing side set the cause back for a while. But now it’s on the rise again.

Jews aren’t concentrated in Europe anymore. Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasralla likes funneling them into Israel. Krauthammer says, “It took the Nazis seven years to kill 6 million Jews. It would take a nuclear Iran one day.”

President Obama was a no-show at the Charlie Hebdo world leaders’ march for solidarity. He’ll be a no-show in March for Bibi’s speech to Congress too.

In the meantime, The Washington Free Beacon reports that Iran has targeted Benjamin Netanyahu’s children for assassination.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Mister Beeg posted:

Adding that to my folder, thank you.

Here are the rest in case anyone is interested:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

I seriously can't tell if it's an actual Dobson or an appropriation of the Kelly style specifically to take a dig at Dobson.

All actual Dobsons look like appropriations of Dobson's style to take a dig at Dobson.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ANY DAY NOW

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
That's similar, but not quite what the gate looks like:

The slogan is pretty well known, so it is strange that it was swapped for the name of the location.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kopijeger posted:

That's similar, but not quite what the gate looks like:

The slogan is pretty well known, so it is strange that it was swapped for the name of the location.

He doesn't have a high regard for his audience.
Just be glad it doesn't spell "Place where jews where killed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

xrunner posted:

I know almost nothing about Mississippi politics. Assuming this isn't a snide joke (it's probably a snide joke), is this really a thing? I mean, if they are building two museums, is it really separate but equal, or is it a recognition that the civil rights movement was so important it deserves it's own museum? Again, 90% certain it's just a joke! but really curious if it's an actual issue...

They are building two museums, but the "separate but equal" thing was my (poor) attempt at humor, hence the :rimshot:.

• Locked thread