Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Magres posted:

Probably some Russians, I've heard the T-62A is bonkers popular on the RU server (I actually hear it has depressed wn8 values compared to what it "should" have because hordes of Russians playing their beloved staple tank has dragged its expected values down), though I have no numbers to back that idea up.

Every time I see one of those RNG videos from Russian servers its just horizon to horizon of IS-7s and T-62as battling in an eternal civil war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Why.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

All I can hope for is that the British tree will be in at or soon after launch. I'll just have to settle for Japanese destroyers and American Cruisers til then, unless one of the german/russian lines turns out to be something special.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

that picture is badass, as is the Huge Floating Panther

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

I disagree. Some people love it, others not so much, but I'm in the "love it" category.
You can't do as much damage as a 50 100, but a 50 100 is a heavy so you shouldn't expect to. But find a 50 100 who has already taken 2 shots from someone else and he's dead.
That goes for everything your tier and above. Think of yourself in the T69 as a closer. Find two heavies brawling, let them trade a few shots, then run in and put four shots into the enemy heavy's side and rear end. (it would be nice if you could count on pubbies to follow you a second or two later and abuse your target while he's desperately trying to turn and aim at you, but no... so you better make sure his health is low enough for you to finish him.)
You usually can't kill tanks with full health so look for ones that are already damaged. You don't have great pen, so you can't take much on frontally and you need to aim. But it's relatively fast and maneuverable. You often need to be willing to take a shot or two to position yourself in a spot where you can empty your clip without any bounces.
I like the T54E1, but the much longer reload can be very annoying. You need to play it a lot more cautiously. I prefer the T69.
disclaimer: I'm not good at tanks and my t69 has a 3.6 skill crew.

Fair enough. I am not going to berate someone for liking a bad tank.

But you also describe why I don't like the T69.
Both the T54E1 and the AMX 50 100 can finish off tanks in one clip, which is something the T69 can't do as well, unless a tank has less than 1k HP left (more likely 750 hp since one shot will miss/bounce).
The T54E1/50 100 also have a secondary role since with their pen you can expect to pen things frontally.
I play both in the same way, initial sniping, then find a isolated tank and ruin his day. Reload and repeat. The long reload is less of a problem since you learn not to be exposed during reloads.
The T69 can't really do that initial sniping as well, and it also cannot kill isolated tanks as well.

Or to put it like this, I didn't keep the T69 but I have kept the AMX 50 100 and it is one tank that I have no problems getting into tier10 with.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

For a thread full of self-professed anime haters y'all sure seem fixated on Girls und Panzer and Kancolle

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The goon doth protest too much, methinks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

icantfindaname posted:

For a thread full of self-professed anime haters y'all sure seem fixated on Girls und Panzer and Kancolle

We're all irony posting. Except Metro. Trap sprung.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

It only took 11 tries but I managed to survive a battle that my team won, only to realize that I didn't get credit for the First loving Mission because I somehow managed to un-start it.

gently caress this loving stupid poo poo game.

I have only played a handful of real games since the missions were implemented, but gently caress that loving system. Having to activate them manually is bad enough, but then you have to repeatedly go back into the missions menu to figure out what you're supposed to do because there is no other reference for the stupid combinations of criteria you need for each goddamn mission. I mean I suppose if you're just focusing on the missions, one vehicle at a time, it may be easier, but I still jump around between types & tiers. gently caress it, I'm just going to play to win and if the missions are completed, so be it. (And I haven't even mentioned the impact on pubbies' behavior, but gently caress it. gently caress everyone in the rear end with their own dicks.)

SoUncool posted:

The Abrams can nearly stop on a dime, thanks to a very powerful hydraulic braking plate on both drive wheels. Inexperienced drivers are taught early not to use this except in emergencies (72 tons will stop all on its own just fine if you take your hands of the accelerator). Many commanders have lost teeth or broken noses by slamming their faces into the M2 .50 cal after a driver panicked and slammed the brake suddenly.

Holy poo poo, every part of that video is awesome. The forward speed :eyepop:, the reverse speed :fap:, the hull and turret traverse! :stwoon: The Abrams is more awesome that I had ever imagined!

Prav posted:

I don't think there's any shortage of americans who absolutely have to play their granpa's ship the USS Full of Semen

A.K.A. The USS Pansy!

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I have only played a handful of real games since the missions were implemented, but gently caress that loving system. Having to activate them manually is bad enough, but then you have to repeatedly go back into the missions menu to figure out what you're supposed to do because there is no other reference for the stupid combinations of criteria you need for each goddamn mission. I mean I suppose if you're just focusing on the missions, one vehicle at a time, it may be easier, but I still jump around between types & tiers.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaxGjttoVM

Like I said, I've only played a few games, 10 to be exact, since the missions became available. I will try your 1337 h4x0ring technique the next time I'm in-game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo the Kitakami! All those torpedoes! :captainpop:

I missed this earlier. Will Kaiten be in the game somehow?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Agrajag posted:

I'd just like to point out that the Abrams is an ugly tank and that the best looking MBT in the world is the Leopard 2A#.

The Challenger II would like a word with you.

(T-90 is ok, but the T-64 and T-80 both look far better :colbert:)

Valle posted:

Edit: jesus loving christ this is the most terrible thing ever. I just watched a 10k 54% dude with 60% in his Chaffee park behind a JT88 and proceed to bounce off him repeatedly, since the dumb gently caress was autoaiming and not shooting the goddamned ammo hatch at the back. So he switched to HE. 30 seconds later the JT88 has lost like 200hp. And I'm chatbanned and couldn't tell the guy to stop being a loving retard. UGH.

I watched a guy with stats on par with me (60%, ~2150 wn8) drive his T34 slowly to the enemy cap on Ensk, ignoring all enemy tanks, and drive onto it with his gun aimed off the side of the map. It took two hits from a Rheinmetall-Borsig to his immediate right less than 20 metres away before he finally decided to begin to react, by which I mean "turn hull and turret two different direction and fire before even being aimed in vaguely the correct direction".

I want to believe it was a really bad lag spike, or someone letting their 2-year-old play the tank game, or he was drunk off his loving tits, but I dunno. We lost because of it anyway.

cheese posted:

Honestly I'm shocked they went with Japan so early. It makes sense, but the fan base for the other nations has got to be way larger.

Anime.

Seriously, read the forums. Every fifth poster might have a signature that isn't anime and a name that isn't distinctly weeaboo.

maev posted:

Every time I see one of those RNG videos from Russian servers its just horizon to horizon of IS-7s and T-62as battling in an eternal civil war

Guess we've disproved "video games as escapism", then.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 1, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I really want to believe that notorious Amrican chauvinistic cheesburger scarfing means that more Americans would be mad if American ships weren't in than Axis ships. I just don't know if I can.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

xthetenth posted:

I really want to believe that notorious Amrican chauvinistic cheesburger scarfing means that more Americans would be mad if American ships weren't in than Axis ships. I just don't know if I can.

Those people don't own computers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

Those people don't own computers.

Time to build some cod kiddies computers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Prav posted:

The goon(s) doth protest too much, methinks.

:agreed:

anime is cool and good, nobody should be protesting

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 1, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Anime is for uncultured mainstream scrubs IMO

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
I don't know if I can play this game while chatbanned....being unable to tell the team what a steaming pile of poo poo they are is intolerable!

Edit:

This does not work for me at all. And I've just updated mods.

Valle fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 1, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'd mostly be annoyed that I can't tell the world about the newly discovered love letters from Rommel to his boyfriend.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tahirovic posted:

I'd mostly be annoyed that I can't tell the world about the newly discovered love letters from Rommel to his boyfriend.

I'll spread the word in your absence.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I missed this earlier. Will Kaiten be in the game somehow?

I don't think so. Then again, 20 torpedo tubes on each sides is plenty :magical: enough as it is.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Just had my best game in the IS-6 and probably ever.

Not sucking is fun.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SoUncool posted:

The driver's hole and the turret are linked by a tunnel that is only accessible if the turret is turned 90 degrees off the right of the tank.

Please tell me there's a safety interlock to disable turning the turret while someone is in that tunnel?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I got an IS-6 during the New year discounts, but didn't really play it due to the various missions n stuff going on. Got to HT mission 12 and figured it might be time to try it out:

:stare:
4.4k blocked by armour too.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Trying to get a ram kill in a heavy is really stupid also i managed to drop a vk7201 on a t49 for.... 340 damage and he just drove away. gently caress off

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.
Firefly trip report:
:siren:Trigger Warning: lovely opinion ahead:siren:

-Its slow
-Its really loving slow
-does not turn well
-0 armor (watch out for HE slingers)
-loving huge as all shermans are
-not great view range (360m)
-fantastic pen, especially for a medium
-good dpm (little under 2k)
-6 degrees of gun depression.

Basically all factors combined this tank's gameplay will consist of slowly accelerating to 30-35 kph, getting to a good firing position maybe ahead of the heavy tanks, and slowly cresting a hill until you are practically sitting on it in order to do about 150 damage while praying no one took a snap-shot at your barn-like silhouette (which coincidentally has the same amount of armor as most barns).

If I can find a good nook to cram myself in that accommodates tall tanks with bad gun depression and the enemy team lets me shoot at them without doing anything about it I can rack up a decent damage score, and not having to flank enemy heavies in order to pen them is a refreshing novelty. But honestly? I'd stick with an easy 8 or cromwell; the firefly's pen comes at too high a cost.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DonkeyHotay posted:

Trying to get a ram kill in a heavy is really stupid also i managed to drop a vk7201 on a t49 for.... 340 damage and he just drove away. gently caress off

I had to just let missions happen, whenever I actually tried to complete things would go to poo poo. My ram kill in a heavy was when a Leopard imbedded itself in my side trying to ram me for some reason.

SARSfest posted:

Firefly trip report:
:siren:Trigger Warning: lovely opinion ahead:siren:

-Its slow
-Its really loving slow
-does not turn well
-0 armor (watch out for HE slingers)
-loving huge as all shermans are
-not great view range (360m)
-fantastic pen, especially for a medium
-good dpm (little under 2k)
-6 degrees of gun depression.

Basically all factors combined this tank's gameplay will consist of slowly accelerating to 30-35 kph, getting to a good firing position maybe ahead of the heavy tanks, and slowly cresting a hill until you are practically sitting on it in order to do about 150 damage while praying no one took a snap-shot at your barn-like silhouette (which coincidentally has the same amount of armor as most barns).

If I can find a good nook to cram myself in that accommodates tall tanks with bad gun depression and the enemy team lets me shoot at them without doing anything about it I can rack up a decent damage score, and not having to flank enemy heavies in order to pen them is a refreshing novelty. But honestly? I'd stick with an easy 8 or cromwell; the firefly's pen comes at too high a cost.

The Firefly is a really good tank destroyer, but a pretty bad medium. Being able to use a Vert Stab at tier 6 is nice though, really makes things easier on it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They've decided to short change us in "On Track to X" from now on - while Euro still gets 30% on the top tanks and 50% on the rest, we get a paltry 15% discount on 8-10, 30% on 6-7 and 50% on 2-5. Object 140 this month, November 2-16 only.

Nickel and dime bullshit starting.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is poor timing. I'm about tanked out but I'd also only need 56kxp and 3.8 million credits to get the Obj. 140. That'd be, what, $60 thru the store.

Yeah, no, not paying that much for a tier 10. I just need to be matched up with competent teams and...

What's that, our side was so bad that I was the most competent player?

:smith:

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Please tell me there's a safety interlock to disable turning the turret while someone is in that tunnel?

Hahahahaha

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it viable to do LT-15 (4k spotting/assist dmg) in the M41 Bulldog? :stare:

Starting to think it's too easy for the enemy to spot and kill it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PirateBob posted:

I have done 4k straight damage in the bulldog before, so 4k spotting should be achievable.

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Its certainly possible and shouldn't be too difficult given one of the easier maps for spotting. You can also track things to help get to 4000. Make sure you have camo crew skills / paint.

Ledif fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 1, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Considering that I have done 4k spotting damage in a VK4502B, a Bulldog should have minor problems with it. Just hope for Prokhorovka.
Been checking out AMX 13 90 replays, and I can safely say Prokhorovka is the map to go for spotting damage.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Cardiac posted:

Considering that I have done 4k spotting damage in a VK4502B, a Bulldog should have minor problems with it.

Considering the VK4502B is basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4AFQc4ZrvA it's not exactly hard to get 4k spotting damage. Drive into dumb pubbies, profit. The Bulldog however, will get ammorack damage and explode if someone sneezes in its general direction. So it relies a lot more on not being seen/shot. It's also not got the best camo, but at least it's miles better than the awfulpanther!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Considering that I have done 4k spotting damage in a VK4502B, a Bulldog should have minor problems with it. Just hope for Prokhorovka.
Been checking out AMX 13 90 replays, and I can safely say Prokhorovka is the map to go for spotting damage.

Lakeville and Malinovka also work really well, though they're both prone to yolo charges ruining your game. I did the first LT-15 on Lakeville.

Something that helps is platooning with high tier artillery that will hold their shots until a situation where you'll get the credit for the damage. Nothing like a pair of conq shells booping people for 1200 damage to get you on your way to 4k

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Something I've been wondering about regarding composite armor -- the Abrams has the equivalent of about 60 inches of steel armor on its turret face versus HEAT and about 36 inches versus kinetic penetrators. An Iowa class battleship has about, what, 20 inches of steel armor on its turret face? Does this imply a KE penetrator would actually penetrate battleship turret armor, or that an Abrams could survive a direct hit from a 16 inch naval gun? (I'd strongly assume the latter to be no, simply as a matter of energy exchange.)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Unluckyimmortal posted:

Something I've been wondering about regarding composite armor -- the Abrams has the equivalent of about 60 inches of steel armor on its turret face versus HEAT and about 36 inches versus kinetic penetrators. An Iowa class battleship has about, what, 20 inches of steel armor on its turret face? Does this imply a KE penetrator would actually penetrate battleship turret armor, or that an Abrams could survive a direct hit from a 16 inch naval gun? (I'd strongly assume the latter to be no, simply as a matter of energy exchange.)
The Iowa shells were over a ton each and moved at over 2500 feet per second. I feel like one of those just breaks the tank into pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eh, it looks good, at least