Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Murder is not comparable to all forms of crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Vahakyla posted:

Jaywalking or selling singles are far worse for instance.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Jaywalking or selling singles are far worse for instance.
If shitposting was a crime we'd all be doin' twenty to life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

Uh, yes? Do you not murder people because you already don't want to, or just because it's illegal?

I guess financial regulations are dumb; obviously wall street will just choose not to be exploitative if we repeal regulations and make the police/authorities even more toothless in fighting financial abuse. Remember when desegregation went off without a hitch and didn't even require the US Army to get involved in order to stop the racist white people from being horrible monsters?

Basically:

Vahakyla posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

edit: In less stupid news, Selma is a good movie and has all sorts of protest tactics in it. I can't vouch for its specific accuracy, because I am not a time traveler.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Protests attract counter protests, and thus a potential for violence. I'm perfectly fine with proportional policing on any demonstration I'm on if it means I don't get my head kicked in by nazis.

Are the people arguing against police presence at protests also arguing against it at sports matches?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I guess financial regulations are dumb; obviously wall street will just choose not to be exploitative if we repeal regulations and make the police/authorities even more toothless in fighting financial abuse. Remember when desegregation went off without a hitch and didn't even require the US Army to get involved in order to stop the racist white people from being horrible monsters?

Basically:

edit: In less stupid news, Selma is a good movie and has all sorts of protest tactics in it. I can't vouch for its specific accuracy, because I am not a time traveler.

I didn't say or imply that we shouldn't have laws, just that most people don't break the law not because they don't want to get arrested but because most people are willing to follow reasonable rules to make everyone get along better.

The response was to Jarmak who was mocking SedanChair for saying "People don't want to make a nuisance of themselves for the most part." which is pretty obviously the case.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

most people don't break the law not because they don't want to get arrested but because most people are willing to follow reasonable rules to make everyone get along better.

I disagree.

If humanity worked that way things like climate change and corruption and racism and homophobia wouldn't be a problem.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 2, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If only it were against the law, then we could have a poo poo-post free posting paradise.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I disagree.

If humanity worked that way things like climate change and corruption and racism and homophobia wouldn't be a problem.

None of those things are illegal though so what's your point?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

None of those things are illegal though so what's your point?

Do you not realize that laws exist to curtail climate change, stop corruption, ban racist practices, and ban homophobic oppression?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Do you not realize that laws exist to curtail climate change, stop corruption, ban racist practices, and ban homophobic oppression?

I get that you're trying to score technicality points but it's pretty obvious that the discussion is about the idea that for the most part, people don't need a police officer standing in front of them with a sign saying THING IS ILLEGAL, DO THING AND GET ARRESTED to not break the law, which is generally true. Obviously it's not true in all cases, but most people aren't going to stand in the street and disrupt traffic because they don't want to, not because they'll get arrested.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What about leaving parking for disabled? Checking on permits for various things? Speed limits?

I'd say the idea of a State Trooper makes many people drive with caution.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

What about leaving parking for disabled? Checking on permits for various things? Speed limits?

I'd say the idea of a State Trooper makes many people drive with caution.

Some people really do need the police man with the sign, yes, which is why I said "generally" and "most people" and "for the most part" and never "literally everybody."

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Counterpoint: rape and abuse culture exists because people can get away with it. Police abuse of power exists because the police can get away with it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sometimes goons need to learn when to shut the gently caress up and move on from an argument.

Speaking of moving on, having a snowball fight while black is now a suspicious event worth drawing a gun over.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

Some people really do need the police man with the sign, yes, which is why I said "generally" and "most people" and "for the most part" and never "literally everybody."

Back before all these different regulations most people just elected not to engage in slavery or child labor or race based pay, right? Most people are terrible either through ignorance or malice or both, but it turns out a combination of social pressure, civil watchdogs, and policing can make them act less terribly.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Everyday Lurker posted:

Sometimes goons need to learn when to shut the gently caress up and move on from an argument.

Speaking of moving on, having a snowball fight while black is now a suspicious event worth drawing a gun over.

Sure those weren't fluoride protesters blocking the ambulance entrance?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DARPA posted:

Sure those weren't fluoride protesters blocking the ambulance entrance?

Thank god the laws against snowball fights are keeping us safe.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

I didn't say or imply that we shouldn't have laws, just that most people don't break the law not because they don't want to get arrested but because most people are willing to follow reasonable rules to make everyone get along better.

The response was to Jarmak who was mocking SedanChair for saying "People don't want to make a nuisance of themselves for the most part." which is pretty obviously the case.

Until they think they have a good reason not too.

I just, I don't even have the necessary skill with language to adequately express just how loving stupid this post is.

This forum is full of people who think it perfectly fine to disregard the law anytime they disagree with it, for moral reasons. Do you even think for a loving second that there isn't an equal or greater amount of people who think they are justified in disregarding the law for moral reasons that would seem (and for the most part are) morally abhorrent to posters here?

And thats not even counting people who just don't give a gently caress and would act in their own (perceived) best interest.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Until they think they have a good reason not too.

I just, I don't even have the necessary skill with language to adequately express just how loving stupid this post is.

This forum is full of people who think it perfectly fine to disregard the law anytime they disagree with it, for moral reasons. Do you even think for a loving second that there isn't an equal or greater amount of people who think they are justified in disregarding the law for moral reasons that would seem (and for the most part are) morally abhorrent to posters here?

And thats not even counting people who just don't give a gently caress and would act in their own (perceived) best interest.

Most laws are immoral. Go ahead and throw that into your ethical calculus, and see what you can divine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Back before all these different regulations most people just elected not to engage in slavery or child labor or race based pay, right? Most people are terrible either through ignorance or malice or both, but it turns out a combination of social pressure, civil watchdogs, and policing can make them act less terribly.

Why do you think I'm saying laws have no place? Seriously, I don't get it. I agree that laws have an impact on peoples' behavior. The only point is that the social pressure is the one that has the most influence on peoples' behavior.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So Richmond, Calif.'s police chief caught a lot of poo poo from the union when he joined protesters.

Anyway, he refused to back off it. Apparently he's been implementing some radical changes in Richmond since he took over, and The Associated Press had a good feature on it yesterday.

quote:

One of the first things Magnus did when he took over was to disband the department's "street teams," units of heavily armed officers deployed in high-crime areas.

The teams stopped "everything that moved," Richmond Police Capt. Mark Gagan said, in hopes of finding suspects with warrants or carrying small amounts of illegal drugs. Gagan said the strategy is still a popular one across the country, but Magnus didn't like it that many in the community perceived the aggressive street teams as an occupying army.

Magnus also eliminated the seniority system that allowed officers to choose the areas they would patrol. He required officers to take on more responsibilities on their beats beyond responding to calls. Beat officers are required to attend neighborhood meetings and to maintain a high profile at churches, schools and businesses. They're encouraged to hand out their mobile phone numbers and email addresses to residents.

So how's he doing?

quote:

By most metrics, the department has improved under Magnus' stewardship.

The city in 2014 recorded 11 murders, the lowest rate per capita in recent decades. It was the fifth straight year the murder rate declined in Richmond. Violent crimes and property crimes alike have plummeted, as have officer-involved shootings. The U.S. Department of Justice recently added Magnus to a panel of experts investigating police relations with the community in Ferguson, Missouri.

Magnus practices what he preaches: He owns a home in the city and is married to Terrance Cheung, the mayor's chief of staff. The couple's wedding last year was attended by a long-list of influential Democratic politicians, and most of the city's council members.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

Have you ever lived in a high crime area?

Yes, several.

Have you?

If cops are actually good, it should be relatively easy to change my mind. All I see are powertripping scumbags. So much so, that I feel substantially more comfortable working with local gangs. I'm white. The local gangs I've worked with have been hispanic (Dominican and Puerto Rican, specifically).

I get the corner kids and when things have gone south, I've known the right people to talk to. Worst case scenario, I'm out maybe $20 and the hassle of calling my credit card companies.

When things go south with cops, it gets more complicated. I can show up the next day at work with a black eye. I can't show up the next day if I'm in a jail cell for bullshit purposes or got out of a jail cell at 3AM and show up looking like poo poo because the cops picked me up. And hey, the DA has been good to me, but if I ever get poo poo on my record then that makes future employment really difficult. Again, gang members can't do that to me.

You say "citation needed", what citation can I give? Most of this poo poo isn't reported so there aren't going to be statistics.

I just experience cops being assholes so I trust local authority more. If cops were the good guys and gangs were the bad guys, I really should be able to sense that. I don't.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 2, 2015

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Murderion posted:

Protests attract counter protests, and thus a potential for violence. I'm perfectly fine with proportional policing on any demonstration I'm on if it means I don't get my head kicked in by nazis.

Are the people arguing against police presence at protests also arguing against it at sports matches?

Who is arguing against a police presence at protests? I haven't seen anyone do that.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

klen dool posted:

Who is arguing against a police presence at protests? I haven't seen anyone do that.

klen dool posted:

I don't thinks its the cops job to control crowds, especially protesting crowds.

:what:.

They're trying to control us. With the presence Mannn.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Shbobdb posted:

Yes, several.

Have you?

yes. And I work in one.

quote:

If cops are actually good, it should be relatively easy to change my mind. All I see are powertripping scumbags. So much so, that I feel substantially more comfortable working with local gangs. I'm white. The local gangs I've worked with have been hispanic (Dominican and Puerto Rican, specifically).

OMG YOU LIVE IN WEST SIDE STORY????? Tell Nardo I said Hi.

Seriously, where is this land ruled by benevolent capos? Because here the gangs shoot people.

quote:

And hey, the DA has been good to me, but if I ever get poo poo on my record then that makes future employment really difficult. Again, gang members can't do that to me.

Ah. and here we have the bias. How often do you find yourself across the aisle from the DA?

quote:

I just experience cops being assholes so I trust local authority more. If cops were the good guys and gangs were the bad guys, I really should be able to sense that. I don't.

Gangs are not "the good guys." Your whole post is ridiculous and I call bullshit on all of it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

Gangs are not "the good guys." Your whole post is ridiculous and I call bullshit on all of it.

They're certainly less dangerous to random citizens.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
So as long as they stick to just murdering each other, and leave the"right people" alone, it's all ok. Is that what you're saying?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ActusRhesus posted:

So as long as they stick to just murdering each other, and leave the"right people" alone, it's all ok. Is that what you're saying?

If the police did this it would be a marked improvement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

If the police did this it would be a marked improvement.

They already do, thus the lack of complaints about police brutality among the white and wealthy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

They already do, thus the lack of complaints about police brutality among the white and wealthy.

Woosh.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

No, I said it's less dangerous.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Off duty cop assaults an MTA worker in New York. This is explicitly a felony offense. Well he was only charged with a misdemeanor. http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/allegedly-assaulted-subway-worker-busted-source-article-1.2097479 Above the law?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The earliest reports of this story, before it was found out he was a cop, all the stories from NYC described it as a sudden, brutal assault from an savage attacker who had no reason. Then like, RIGHT AFTER it was found out he was a cop one of the sites that reported it as such changed it to basically sound like the woman "most likely" did something horrible to cause the misunderstanding that resulted in him doing this.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

El Scandelouse posted:

Off duty cop assaults an MTA worker in New York. This is explicitly a felony offense. Well he was only charged with a misdemeanor. http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/allegedly-assaulted-subway-worker-busted-source-article-1.2097479 Above the law?

I mentioned this pages ago, and got called shrill for wanting to talk about something that wasn't a pedantic bullshit debate. This thread really is garbage sometimes

On topic, when I read this story in the Daily News it was buried somewhere after page 10 and surrounded by advertisements

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

El Scandelouse posted:

... Above the law?

Why even bother with a question mark at this point?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

El Scandelouse posted:

nah he's being charged with something so even the police have to face justice

time to close the thread

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Untagged posted:

:what:.

They're trying to control us. With the presence Mannn.

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/groveland-officers-accused-using-excessive-force-1/nj2Cp/

Pointing a gun at a child while your partner pins her to the ground with his knee is hardly surprising, but this:

quote:

Rigdon was suspended in May and demoted in 2013 from corporal. He was also reprimanded in 2011. Each punishment was the result of allegedly filing false police reports.

How the gently caress do you have an officer on staff who continually files false reports? How can he possibly be useful giving testimony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
He can't. The Brady Law is basically career death.

• Locked thread