Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Elotana posted:

So I'm looking at the polls for this Israeli election, and can an Israeli or just a better-informed poster explain to me how in the gently caress Zionist Camp has a path to 61 seats even if they eke out a narrow victory over Likud? Because it looks like they're doomed from the start.

Unless some drastic shift happens they don't. The only change they have is if right wing in-fighting causes Bibi to try and make a deal with them. The reason they're talked up as a credible threat to Bibi is the same reason Romney got talked up last election, it's hard to get good ratings when there's no real competition.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well this is sure something. CIA spotters were on the ground in Damascus, and played an integral role in the 2008 assassination of a key Hezbollah figure via car bomb. Hell of a scoop.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e54a_story.html

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Mughniyah wasn’t alone in his confidence to operate freely in Damascus. During the operation, the CIA and Mossad had a chance to kill Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran’s Quds Force, as he and Mughniyah walked together. Soleimani was an archenemy of Israel and had also orchestrated the training of Shiite militias in Iraq.

“At one point, the two men were standing there, same place, same street. All they had to do was push the button,” said one former official.

But the operatives didn’t have the legal authority to kill Soleimani, the officials said. There had been no presidential finding to do so.

Wonder what that's going to do to US-Iran relations

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i lovey ou arile io lvpe you. people thinlk not's a gimick it's NOT A GIMICLK i've ahad his hard ghost cock uibn my use;esss flesh body!! i ahd his ghost baby. oh go yo mean so muc hto me please, please odn't leave. i lvoe you. i love you i lawyas believed

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
nobody ever understands

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

At least Avshalom's posting can be a rare beam of light in a grey world that promises only suffering.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ariel

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fuckin goyim don'trevne comprehend/. i say "we;l i am loving on a regular basis with the ghost of ariel sharon?" adn thgey go "oh but he wasfat and ugly" and isay "you just shove itup your ficlomg arse HE WAS GLORIOUS"

never forget.i a, am eternral widow, neve to love a mortal man

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xandu posted:

Wonder what that's going to do to US-Iran relations

Good things, I hope. We generously decided not to assassinate an Iranian officer. :3:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The least credulous part of that story is notion that the CIA or Mossad was presented with the opportunity to kill someone they wanted to kill and restrained themselves because they weren't sure if it was legal. We have a program where killer robots fly around blowing up buildings in countries America isn't at war with without so much as a memo.

Edit - I guess the difference is in one case there were specific CIA/Mossad agents whose names would be attached to the hit and would bear political responsibility for any fallout, whereas half the goal of the drone program and similar autonomous killing machine ideas is to abstract attribution so much that the law can barely decide whether it qualifies as an assassination any more.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 1, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No. I know it's hard to believe the CIA cares anything about legality, but basically everything they do has a DOJ memo and a presidential finding attached to it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, I'm going to just give up on catching up on the last 200+ pages and am just going to say that I've decided to fly over to Israel to vote. Make of that what you will.

In other news, Netanyahu, who recently presented a list of high-contribution donors which included not a single Israeli, and who has more than one newspaper bankrolled by the American Sheldon Adelson to sing his praises, has had some of his bulldogs accuse the Israeli left of using foreign funds in a plot to overthrow the government (in most democracies, the latter is called the duty of an opposing party :shrug:)

It's a good thing I saved this:

Accusing your opponents of your own crimes is classic Luntz, right? Netanyahu: Israel's GOP Prime Minister.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, I'm going to just give up on catching up on the last 200+ pages and am just going to say that I've decided to fly over to Israel to vote. Make of that what you will.

Can't vote at the local embassy or consulate?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

Can't vote at the local embassy or consulate?

Only official envoys and diplomatic staff get to do that. Regular Israelis have to be in country to vote. No absentee ballots, either.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So, one of my state's reps is the first to publicly announce his intention to not attend Netanyahu's speech.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to hear about this, have there been any other D reps who are standing with him? Blumenauer isn't exactly a critic of Israel (hell just read the article, it's pretty clear) so I'm guessing this is more D vs. R politics.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SyHopeful posted:

So, one of my state's reps is the first to publicly announce his intention to not attend Netanyahu's speech.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to hear about this, have there been any other D reps who are standing with him? Blumenauer isn't exactly a critic of Israel (hell just read the article, it's pretty clear) so I'm guessing this is more D vs. R politics.

Regardless of what happens, the Israeli government becoming political football is a nail in the coffin of unquestioning, bipartisan American support.

Bibi done hosed up.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Regardless of what happens, the Israeli government becoming political football is a nail in the coffin of unquestioning, bipartisan American support.

Bibi done hosed up.

I'm guessing he pushed too hard at driving a wedge between the Obama administration and other political entities?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I'm guessing he pushed too hard at driving a wedge between the Obama administration and other political entities?

He's basically giving the US Administration a giant middle finger by going partisan, which is a huge gently caress up.

But I have a feeling Israel will continue to get unquestioning support.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

A little bit of him pushing too hard, a little bit of :boehner: pulling too hard, I think.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bibi done hosed up.

Is the Israeli government becoming political football in the US, though? Everything I've seen calls out Netanyahu specifically and personally, blaming him and Boehner for trying to exploit each other for political benefit - but none of that blame has been extended to the rest of the Israeli government. All criticism, in both Israel and the US, seems to have focused in on Netanyahu specifically, and even Israeli government officials are happily throwing him under the bus. It doesn't seem like there's going to be any real blowback onto Israel as a whole, though if Netanyahu wins despite this colossal blunder, he might soon find that the US is far friendlier toward the Israeli opposition and their proposals than toward him and his proposals.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Netanyahu realized just how big a can of worms he was opening up. The idea of having Netanyahu make a speech came from Boehner and the House Republicans, who seem to be angling for a showdown with Obama now that they own Congress. Netanyahu accepted because he was basically being invited to openly advertise and proclaim his political positions and goals in front of Congress, which would likely push Congress and public opinion against Iran in the US and make him look like an important and influential big-shot back home. Unfortunately, it appears he didn't think through the political consequences of coming to the US and publicly criticizing Obama Iran policy at the behest of the opposition party. Netanyahu claims he really didn't intend to snub Obama, and for what it's worth, I'm willing to believe that this controversy was the result of simple incompetence or stupidity on Netanyahu's part rather than outright malice...but that doesn't really make it better, especially since (in classic conservative style) he's doubling up on it and refusing to back down for fear of looking weak.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bibi done hosed up.

I can only hope, but even Blumenauer's stand was carefully and firmly couched in "Israel, our ally" terms. I"m sure he'd have no problems keeping Israel stocked with munitions meant for Gaza.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Is the Israeli government becoming political football in the US, though? Everything I've seen calls out Netanyahu specifically and personally, blaming him and Boehner for trying to exploit each other for political benefit - but none of that blame has been extended to the rest of the Israeli government. All criticism, in both Israel and the US, seems to have focused in on Netanyahu specifically, and even Israeli government officials are happily throwing him under the bus. It doesn't seem like there's going to be any real blowback onto Israel as a whole, though if Netanyahu wins despite this colossal blunder, he might soon find that the US is far friendlier toward the Israeli opposition and their proposals than toward him and his proposals.

Bingo.

SyHopeful posted:

I can only hope, but even Blumenauer's stand was carefully and firmly couched in "Israel, our ally" terms. I"m sure he'd have no problems keeping Israel stocked with munitions meant for Gaza.

But will they do it if Netanyahu orders them?

Generally, it seems likely that Netanyahu will be the next PM, but (a) if other parties capitalize on this, they may yet oust him and (b) even if he wins, he managed to split the US on him, and it bodes ill well for his ability to push for anything he likes. Just listen to the stuff Fox News brought up about settlements when they were talking about him, and the insistence on an independent US approach to Iran. His house of cards built on the Iranian threat and on the US not caring about settlements is collapsing; even in power he may be powerless but to acquiesce on both fronts. Especially if he is forced into a really narrow government.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bingo.

Generally, it seems likely that Netanyahu will be the next PM, but (a) if other parties capitalize on this, they may yet oust him and (b) even if he wins, he managed to split the US on him, and it bodes ill well for his ability to push for anything he likes. Just listen to the stuff Fox News brought up about settlements when they were talking about him, and the insistence on an independent US approach to Iran. His house of cards built on the Iranian threat and on the US not caring about settlements is collapsing; even in power he may be powerless but to acquiesce on both fronts. Especially if he is forced into a really narrow government.

I don't see why not. Bibi has thumbed his nose at the Obama administration plenty of times and yet we're still too beholden to Israeli interests to even abstain from UN votes, take action to decisively end settlement construction, or to generally pretend the Leahy law doesn't exist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SyHopeful posted:

I don't see why not. Bibi has thumbed his nose at the Obama administration plenty of times and yet we're still too beholden to Israeli interests to even abstain from UN votes, take action to decisively end settlement construction, or to generally pretend the Leahy law doesn't exist.

Yeah, and previously Congress wouldn't be reacting this way to his shenanigans or to his nose-thumbing. It wasn't a political football before. Nobody in Fox News would be saying he was off base or bring up the settlements or anything. Now he's become part of a partisan shitshow; if there is any bipartisanship, if anything it's the discomfort with this move. You don't see why that's different than it was before?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bingo.

They're not going to cut back on weapons shipments, that'd cause tremendous political backfire in the US. What's more likely is lessening US support for Netanyahu's particular choice of foreign policy (particularly regarding Iran) and less willingness to exert diplomatic pressure on the PA. Besides, Netanyahu's already whining about foreign dollars and Dem-affiliated organizations helping the Israeli opposition - if his bill limiting that doesn't pass, it's likely that the Israeli center-left will get a whole lot more help, both in terms of money and political strategy, and in terms of the President saying nice things about Netanyahu's rivals and talking enthusiastically about how good their strategies are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not going to cut back on weapons shipments, that'd cause tremendous political backfire in the US.

All they gotta do is basically say "well, gee, you're saying it's an emergency but really it seems like you have been misusing the stuff we already sent over, we don't know, we're going to have to make sure we're not wasting tax dollars" etc etc. He's already been painted as Republican-aligned, response in Congress is going to be partisan if it is even in his favor.

quote:

What's more likely is lessening US support for Netanyahu's particular choice of foreign policy (particularly regarding Iran) and less willingness to exert diplomatic pressure on the PA. Besides, Netanyahu's already whining about foreign dollars and Dem-affiliated organizations helping the Israeli opposition - if his bill limiting that doesn't pass, it's likely that the Israeli center-left will get a whole lot more help, both in terms of money and political strategy, and in terms of the President saying nice things about Netanyahu's rivals and talking enthusiastically about how good their strategies are.

I could see that happening, definitely. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, and previously Congress wouldn't be reacting this way to his shenanigans or to his nose-thumbing. It wasn't a political football before. Nobody in Fox News would be saying he was off base or bring up the settlements or anything. Now he's become part of a partisan shitshow; if there is any bipartisanship, if anything it's the discomfort with this move. You don't see why that's different than it was before?

Sure, and I really want you to be right, but seeing how little positive change has occurred in the last twenty years I don't think my skepticism is poorly founded.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SyHopeful posted:

Sure, and I really want you to be right, but seeing how little positive change has occurred in the last twenty years I don't think my skepticism is poorly founded.

Well, there's skepticism and there's outright rejection of any evidence against the status quo. :shrug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think Bibi would have to piss on an American flag on live TV to change the status quo.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Bibi would have to piss on an American flag on live TV to change the status quo.

There would still be people coming out of the woodwork to defend it, pretty sure.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
He must realise he overplayed his hand. Might he surprise everyone with a reasonable, level-headed speech?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

bpower posted:

He must realise he overplayed his hand. Might he surprise everyone with a reasonable, level-headed speech?

In before another big bomb diagram or he orders airstrikes simultaneously with the speech.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, there's skepticism and there's outright rejection of any evidence against the status quo. :shrug:

I've latched onto tons of such evidence over the years and the status quo returned. Like I said, I genuinely want you to be correct, but I'm reserving positivity for actual substantive actions from the D side.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Disinterested posted:

In before another big bomb diagram or he orders airstrikes simultaneously with the speech.

Thats what Im thinking, if he whips out the cartoon bomb and starts drawing on it hes going to look like a bloody idiot.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

bpower posted:

Thats what Im thinking, if he whips out the cartoon bomb and starts drawing on it hes going to look like a bloody idiot.

That's yet to stop him so far. Maybe he'll pull out the 'Islam is dangerous' card or something and see how many Republicans he can get to loudly applaud. I'm curious. We could have a bingo or a drinking game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

He's basically giving the US Administration a giant middle finger by going partisan, which is a huge gently caress up.

They've always been partisan. Likud's platform is Israel's platform as far as the US is concerned. Never stopped Dems from sucking up to Israel's right to defend itself. The issue now is that Bibi is being openly hostile to the Obama administration, trying to manipulate American politics at an unprecedented level, and the Obama Administration is feebly responding "hey, you shouldn't be supposed to do that." And it remains to be seen whether Bibi hosed up, or the Obama administration hosed up on behalf of the Dems.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just really grateful we finally get to hear Bibi's opinion on Iran. I'm not quite sure how he advocates treating them.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I'm just really grateful we finally get to hear Bibi's opinion on Iran. I'm not quite sure how he advocates treating them.

Bomb early, bomb often.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All they gotta do is basically say "well, gee, you're saying it's an emergency but really it seems like you have been misusing the stuff we already sent over, we don't know, we're going to have to make sure we're not wasting tax dollars" etc etc. He's already been painted as Republican-aligned, response in Congress is going to be partisan if it is even in his favor.

I could see that happening, definitely. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

The difference there is between what's seen as "helping Netanyahu" vs what is seen as "helping Israel". There's simply no chance that Obama could meaningfully restrict arms sales to Israel under current circumstances. He's free to gently caress with Netanyahu's personal foreign policy initiatives all he wants, and he's free to do all he can to sway Israeli public opinion in favor of anyone who can beat Netanyahu in an election, but bullets and bombs are basically off-limits. There have already been two cases in which Obama has delayed shipments of missiles and other arms to put pressure on Netanyahu, but outright canceling and denying those shipments would change the political game significantly as Obama would then be seen as "endangering Israel", not just punishing Netanyahu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volkerball posted:

See: Bomb Chart and Ron Paul's 'It's Happening' gif

• Locked thread