Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love my Z3C, but I think I'd want something larger, so I'll probably go with the 2014 10" Note. It's so pricey compared to the Shield, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I love my Z3C, but I think I'd want something larger, so I'll probably go with the 2014 10" Note. It's so pricey compared to the Shield, though...

Go all out and get a 12.2" Note LTE (unlocked) for $379.

Has the Snapdragon processor vs. the wifi exynos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171630973285

*edit you must be okay with it not being factory brand new, sealed, all that jazz. Retail on this is over $800, so it's a calculated risk I suppose.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google, how in the gently caress can you expect people to make good apps when your in house poo poo comes out like this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Amazon return process is completely painless including UPS pickup. I didn't even setup the last three, I just turned them on, checked the screen and right back off and in the box they went.

But yes, the N9 is a big waste of my time and I hate it.

You should have your own unboxing video channel, the comments would be magical

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/30/google-posts-android-5-0-2-lollipop-system-images-2012-2013-nexus-7-mobile-data/

Thanks for the two month wait Google, was fun. Can't wait to break my tablet by installing this (but I'm installing it anyway).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are some synthetic benchmarks that show Denver in a favorable light, but that doesn't make it a good architecture. Their binary translation is cute, but I don't think it's destined for a long shelf life. From an IPC standpoint, Denver's almost embarrassing when you consider NVIDIA needed 2.5GHz to match the single-core performance of a 1.5GHz "Enhanced Cyclone" ARM core.

Really it just sounds like he bought into NVIDIA's hype train that they've been driving since they announced the turd at CES 2011.

Yeah after having to deal with the Tegra 2 on my TF101 I'll never touch a Nvidia tablet platform again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Even if I enjoyed my TF201, yes, I'm on the same boat. I'd try something different than Qualcomm ones because Mediatek is making some decent ones and Huawei aswell but they're for cheap tablet alternatives in my opinion.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

SlayVus posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy a high capacity microSD card. I plan on dropping back down to KK though since my memory editing apps don't work anymore in lollipop. Personal suggestion, Samsung's Pro line. I get 50/70 write read speeds with it through the tablet itself, rated for 70/100.

Hey, I got the shield tablet and it seems like I have this odd issue where ES File Explorer doesn't seem to have full access to the micro SD card. I have no loving clue why that is. Apps seem to be able to write to it just fine but I can't copy files to it or create directories.

Any ideas?

Edit:

torgeaux posted:

And name the volume before using it. The tablet just won't allow much use with an unnamed card.

Gonna give this a try.

Bhm fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 1, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bhm posted:

Hey, I got the shield tablet and it seems like I have this odd issue where ES File Explorer doesn't seem to have full access to the micro SD card. I have no loving clue why that is. Apps seem to be able to write to it just fine but I can't copy files to it or create directories.

Any ideas?
I thought that was by design. KitKat is even more restrictive if I remember correctly. The reason is because it's a massive security hole to allow an app to manipulate data it does not own and you can't enforce permissions on the file system an SD card uses. So Google made it so you can't do that which effectively does just that.

Like I said though I know that changed under Lollipop but I don't know how because I haven't seen an SD card on Android since 2010.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The relevant Lollipop change was this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bhm posted:

Any ideas?

Do you have root? You need root for full access.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you have root? You need root for full access.

Not really. I've only named the volume and I can install apps to the card and store files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Not really. I've only named the volume and I can install apps to the card and store files.
Which doesn't run afoul of the access rules imposed by the OS. Using ES to manipulate folders does.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I hope someone can help here. My mom recently got a Kindle Fire HD 7, Fourth Edition. She has the 'Email' app and it's connected to her Gmail account but no contacts. I followed a few guides but most seem to be for older generations of the device.

Anyone have any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

me your dad posted:

I hope someone can help here. My mom recently got a Kindle Fire HD 7, Fourth Edition. She has the 'Email' app and it's connected to her Gmail account but no contacts. I followed a few guides but most seem to be for older generations of the device.

Anyone have any ideas?
You mother has her contacts in GMail? When you look under Settings > Accounts > Google Account > Contact sync everything looks good?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

You mother has her contacts in GMail? When you look under Settings > Accounts > Google Account > Contact sync everything looks good?

Is this actually a thing on a Kindle? I thought the whole Google Account sync framework would've been gutted.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Yeah it's set to 'Sync Contacts'.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Is this actually a thing on a Kindle? I thought the whole Google Account sync framework would've been gutted.
I honestly don't know but you're likely right.

me your dad posted:

Yeah it's set to 'Sync Contacts'.
Is there a contact app that allows you to view the contacts?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Is there a contact app that allows you to view the contacts?

Yeah. When I open the Contacts app and choose Gmail, it says, "No contacts for this account. You can add contacts in several ways: Press the + button at the top of the screen; Tap a contact link in Email or Calendar Sync contacts from Email account settings."

When I go into the Email app > Settings, I see nothing listing any contacts. This is all a bit hosed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

me your dad posted:

Yeah. When I open the Contacts app and choose Gmail, it says, "No contacts for this account. You can add contacts in several ways: Press the + button at the top of the screen; Tap a contact link in Email or Calendar Sync contacts from Email account settings."

When I go into the Email app > Settings, I see nothing listing any contacts. This is all a bit hosed.
As far as I can tell through searching, Amazon doesn't use standard sync providers. You can import all that poo poo into their contact app and that's it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

LastInLine posted:

As far as I can tell through searching, Amazon doesn't use standard sync providers. You can import all that poo poo into their contact app and that's it.

Man that's dumb. Thanks for looking into it though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm just spitballing it here but this app might help you out. Looks like this app can access a CardDAV server and then feed that into the contacts framework on a Kindle Fire.

http://www.amazon.com/Marten-Gajda-CardDAV-Sync-beta/dp/B009RLCB1Y

You can get instructions on how to access your Google contacts via CardDAV here.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I just noticed that my nexus 9 has a very large lump on the top of the tablet (a little left of the center). Is this something I should be concerned about or should I just write it off as horrible build quality.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

me your dad posted:

Man that's dumb. Thanks for looking into it though.

You can log into her Gmail and find the contacts? Didn't see that answered.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
I've been holding out on upgrading my tablet, I'm still on 4.1. The sole purpose being that I prefer the old Tablet UI where the navigation buttons were on the left. are there any modern ways to get that UI on KitKat and beyond without rooting?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the Nexus 2013, have you upgraded to Lollipop yet? I received an update notice that I can move to 5.0.2, but I'm stilling rocking Kit Kat for the time being.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I've been on it for probably a month now. It's flawless in my experience (other than the rough patch before 5.0.1 where they broke video playback).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the Nexus 2013, have you upgraded to Lollipop yet? I received an update notice that I can move to 5.0.2, but I'm stilling rocking Kit Kat for the time being.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I've been on it for probably a month now. It's flawless in my experience (other than the rough patch before 5.0.1 where they broke video playback).
Maybe I'm not representative but for me it's been so much more stable and usable on KitKat that it's like a brand new device.

I will say it seems like the battery ain't what it used to be but I'd give that up to eliminate the constant crashes and restarts I had on KitKat any day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I just got 5.0.2 on mine about two weeks ago, and it's fine. (It even feels like the memory leak situation is much improved over 5.0.1, but I can't vouch for that.)

Battery life's a little less than it was, but not enough to really inconvenience me. I can still get through a day, maybe two of light use (listening to music is usually the most power-intensive thing I do) before I have to charge.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone wants an HTC Magic Cover, here's mine:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697240
I posted before, but got no love, so one more time and then I'm out of this thread until the next Nexus comes out at which point I'll get it and continue my maniac cycle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I just got 5.0.2 on mine about two weeks ago, and it's fine. (It even feels like the memory leak situation is much improved over 5.0.1, but I can't vouch for that.)

Battery life's a little less than it was, but not enough to really inconvenience me. I can still get through a day, maybe two of light use (listening to music is usually the most power-intensive thing I do) before I have to charge.
I have to wonder if the memory leak is tied to the battery life because that's my one major complaint about Lollipop across all of my devices. The battery life is really noticeably worse on all of them. I haven't seen some of the things complained about here like Music just shutting off or anything like that and it's not like the battery life is so bad it can't make it through a day but it's really bad compared to KitKat.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My N7 2013 has been very stable on 5.0.1 and .2, besides the sleep of death that I still get occasionally. That's been happening since I bought the drat thing though, and has persisted even with a replacement device, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

sirbeefalot posted:

My N7 2013 has been very stable on 5.0.1 and .2, besides the sleep of death that I still get occasionally. That's been happening since I bought the drat thing though, and has persisted even with a replacement device, so I don't know what the gently caress.

I've never had that issue on mine. Maybe it's caused by an app you are using?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Shadowgate posted:

I've never had that issue on mine. Maybe it's caused by an app you are using?

That's what I thought after the replacement did it, though I swear it's done it after a full reset and before loading in all my apps. I may try it again and add stuff incrementally, but it usually only happens after like a week of uptime and it's not consistent, so... :effort:

It only takes a minute or two to force a reset when the problem shows up.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

sirbeefalot posted:

That's what I thought after the replacement did it, though I swear it's done it after a full reset and before loading in all my apps. I may try it again and add stuff incrementally, but it usually only happens after like a week of uptime and it's not consistent, so... :effort:

It only takes a minute or two to force a reset when the problem shows up.

I use mine literally every day since launch and almost never reboot. It has to be an app or you got very unlucky with hardware.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

5.0.2 works flawlessly for me. The only issue I've had with lollipop was with 5.0 where, for some weird and stupid reason, the device's accelerometer stopped working, thus the screen rotation or games that used it. A simple factory reset (I had everything backed up with titanium) fixed it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I just got the OTA for 5.0.2 on my 2013 N7 w/ LTE. Hopefully won't break it!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AnandTech has posted their Nexus 9 Review.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Basically, if Nvidia can sort out their optimizer a bit better and Google fixes some of the bugs in lollipop, it could be a great tablet. Could though.

The 4:3 ratio remains the thing that is a big question mark. Aside from reading larger format documents, the ratio just doesn't work for android. It makes the tablet itself unnecessarily big without much gain in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The 4:3 ratio remains the thing that is a big question mark. Aside from reading larger format documents, the ratio just doesn't work for android. It makes the tablet itself unnecessarily big without much gain in return.

That ratio is perfect for video (zoom in), web browsing, comics, and general usability. What android really need is W8/Samsung style multi window. 4:3 is amazing for tablets and wish almost all tablets had that ratio.