Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm this weekend. It's putting me in a serious Final Fantasy mood. In the grand scheme of things I've played very few Final Fantasy games-- pretty much just 7, 10, and 10-2. I hear some of them are dated and some of them are just plain bad, but I really kinda want to just... play them all. From 1 to whatever the gently caress 13 is at, from start to finish. Likely skip 11 and 14 because I don't even remotely care about MMOs.

I've had a number of people tell me that 1-3 are objectively kinda trash these days with barely any story. Should I really just not bother with those and start at 4? I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose of exploring all the Final Fantasies I never played but if they're just kinda junky barebones "go here and kill this guy then go kill another guy" stories then I could probably live with skipping them.

You should start at 4 for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm this weekend. It's putting me in a serious Final Fantasy mood. In the grand scheme of things I've played very few Final Fantasy games-- pretty much just 7, 10, and 10-2. I hear some of them are dated and some of them are just plain bad, but I really kinda want to just... play them all. From 1 to whatever the gently caress 13 is at, from start to finish. Likely skip 11 and 14 because I don't even remotely care about MMOs.

I've had a number of people tell me that 1-3 are objectively kinda trash these days with barely any story. Should I really just not bother with those and start at 4? I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose of exploring all the Final Fantasies I never played but if they're just kinda junky barebones "go here and kill this guy then go kill another guy" stories then I could probably live with skipping them.

Do whatever you want. I have been down this path and it's a good project to invest yourself in because it's like 500 hours of good gaming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

If you want to play them all at least give them a whirl and quit if you end up hating them.

FF1's story is pretty much go to x to kill y with an 11th hour twist that doesn't change much of anything. Gameplay is pretty fun if you play the modern versions, NES original is an absolute chore and sadistic as hell in the ice cavern.

FF2 has the first FF with a "story" in so far as people have names and desires but mechanically its rough as hell even in the modern versions.

FF3 is not very good but its where the idea of a job system instead of defined roles came from. If you must play it play it NES because the modern version while having faster battles is a downgrade in every single way except possibly graphics and is honestly outright tedious in many parts.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kaubocks posted:

To give you an idea of how dated 1-3 are: the final dungeon of 3 only has one save point. (And of course they didn't change this for the remake).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF3 might be the only one to skip really. It's just boring and V did it better in every way possible

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, I'm playing through 3 because I'm almost towards the end and grinding for job points is horrible.

1 is pretty decent though because it's so goshdarn easy, and 2 is good because it has an actual story and is still pretty easy! :v:

CuddlyZombie posted:

Screw it, here is CuddlyZombie's Writeup on How to Have Fun With FF2 (remake version):

I wrote a writeup of things you need to know to have no problem with 2's otherwise arcane mechanics.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2 might be the most important final fantasy there is, if you think about it, because it wasn't related to 1 in any way at all, setting the standard for the series 25+ years later.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright, general consensus I'm feeling is "play a modern version of 1, check out 2 and see if you like it, skip 3".

I'll make up in skipping a game by making sure I don't miss out on any of the critically acclaimed side games like dirge of cerberus and

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kaubocks posted:

You should start at 4. The series really starts at 4. Also, don't play the SNES version or the PS1 version. The SNES one has a poor translation and dumbed down difficulty, the PS1 has loading. Get the DS version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It sucks that it took 6 hours to download but I really like FFXIII, and it looks loving great at 1080 60fps. I think this might be my favorite final fantasy.

Lightning's Revenge is gonna look amazing when it's not 360p/10fps

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kaubocks posted:

Alright, general consensus I'm feeling is "play a modern version of 1, check out 2 and see if you like it, skip 3".

I'll make up in skipping a game by making sure I don't miss out on any of the critically acclaimed side games like dirge of cerberus and

If you play 2 (you should) make sure to play a modern version of it as well.

2 might be the most important final fantasy there is, if you think about it, because it wasn't related to 1 in any way at all, setting the standard for the series 25+ years later.

It also introduced chocobos, dragoons, and monsters that weren't stolen from D&D! :v:

Edit: And Leviathan and Behemoth!

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 2, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Curtain Call is downloading right now, and its taking its sweet time. So are any of the DLCs must-haves? Or is it more of a "if you like this game get it" sort of deal?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So Curtain Call is downloading right now, and its taking its sweet time. So are any of the DLCs must-haves? Or is it more of a "if you like this game get it" sort of deal?

The game has tons of songs so don't buy them unless you absolutely must play that song or have exhausted all the music. Follow up answer for a question you haven't asked yet; no there is no way to buy the song DLC in batches.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nuebot posted:

There's a crazy amount of songs in the base game. I think I've only bought like... two songs so far? Crazy Chocobo because it owns. I forget what the other was. Probably a FFX song.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

To it's credit historically, 3 DOES introduce Jobs, Ifrit, Ramuh, Shiva, Titan, Odin, and moogles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nuebot posted:

The balamb garden music from VIII.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Barudak posted:

The game has tons of songs so don't buy them unless you absolutely must play that song or have exhausted all the music. Follow up answer for a question you haven't asked yet; no there is no way to buy the song DLC in batches.

Oh okay so yeah that pretty much does answer all the DLC questions. Just buy the songs I think are totally awesome. Now if only it had mario RPG music.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Moms are tough.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You should start at 4. The series really starts at 4. Also, don't play the SNES version or the PS1 version. The SNES one has a poor translation and dumbed down difficulty, the PS1 has loading. Get the DS version.

I would not give the DS version and its massive rebalance of entire game systems to someone new to the series. I'd recommend the PSP version instead, which is pretty faithful to the original.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Moms are tough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Lightning's Revenge is gonna look amazing when it's not 360p/10fps

Ohhh yeah. I never finished LR. I reached the superboss on the bottom floor of the optional dungeon, died to it and then went to final boss room and never attempted it. My PS3 is boxed away now so I would like to revisit/finish the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ohhh yeah. I never finished LR. I reached the superboss on the bottom floor of the optional dungeon, died to it and then went to final boss room and never attempted it. My PS3 is boxed away now so I would like to revisit/finish the game.

superboss doesnt even give you anything useful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

superboss doesnt even give you anything useful.

I was gonna try and beat it until I read that the optimal strategy was to just poison it and heal through all its attacks and wait until it died.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I was gonna try and beat it until I read that the optimal strategy was to just poison it and heal through all its attacks and wait until it died.

Oh so just like every other FF13-series super boss?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

2 is important because it laid the foundation for the SaGa games.

FF2 is playable on iOS or PSP (same version). i think the Dawn of Souls GBA version is the same as iOS as well except it lacks the random HP gain and the keyword dungeons. The latter is reason enough to play iOS/PSP because once you get to Mysdia (or maybe right after it) you can access a dungeon that has a chest with Osmosis in it. The only other way to get the spell is to farm Wizards who are rare as gently caress and the drop itself is even rarer. I did this for 4-5 hours on iOS and had zero book drops. Then after spending 150-20 minutes running through the keyword dungeon a few times I had 5 Osmosis books. Putting one on Richard let him be a very useful later on, and having it on all the main characters meant MP was no longer an issue.
e:

CuddlyZombie posted:

It also introduced chocobos, dragoons, and monsters that weren't stolen from D&D! :v:

Edit: And Leviathan and Behemoth!

And Beavers, who were changed to Moogles for later games.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 2, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm sorry, I lied. I just remembered I also dumped a couple hundred hours into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance back in high school. Please forgive my claim of only playing like three FF games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I'm sorry, I lied. I just remembered I also dumped a couple hundred hours into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance back in high school. Please forgive my claim of only playing like three FF games.

Not a mainline title so I don't think anybody will give you flack. Its not like people here are clamoring to have you play Chocobo Racing or the other terrible spin off garbage.

FF Legend 1-3 count though so get your original Gameboy out of storage and prepare to preform unethical meat experimentations on your party members.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Not a mainline title so I don't think anybody will give you flack. Its not like people here are clamoring to have you play Chocobo Racing or the other terrible spin off garbage.

FF Legend 1-3 count though so get your original Gameboy out of storage and prepare to preform unethical meat experimentations on your party members.

Actually I'm pissed tht that guy lied about how much final fantasy he played over the course of his life and I'm going to troll him relentlessly about it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Wait hmm I just remembered poo poo like Crystal Chronicles exists and suddenly the idea of playing all the FF games seems tedious as gently caress. I might just have to pick and choose which spinoff games I play alongside the mainline games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

Wait hmm I just remembered poo poo like Crystal Chronicles exists and suddenly the idea of playing all the FF games seems tedious as gently caress. I might just have to pick and choose which spinoff games I play alongside the mainline games.

0 of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kaubocks posted:

Play 4-6, 4 on GBA or PSP/Vita if possible, 5 on something besides PSX if possible, same for 6. You'll have a good time. If you're still feeling the itch, there are a lot more great games and you'll probably love FFT/TWOL too.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't think you guys realize how dead set I am on experiencing the Final Fantasy 7 Extended Universe

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kaubocks posted:

You can't forget about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Adventure. I prefer FFMQ to many of the main games in the series.

How's about this. Play 5 hours of each, and if you're not feeling it, you don't have to continue. Only I think FFX gets drastically better after the first 5 hours.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaubocks posted:

I don't think you guys realize how dead set I am on experiencing the Final Fantasy 7 Extended Universe

Play all of the FF7 games, do it. They're all great.

Dirge of Cerberus
Crisis Core
Before Crisis
Some game no one cares about
Uhhh... Last Order isn't a game but it exists

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

It's not like you're going to be making videos of them for the internet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Crystal Chronicles is legit fun if you can arrange the convoluted logistics (GBAs and link cables) to play co-op with 1-3 friends.

It's not terrible as a chill little time-waster even single-player, but it's a lot better with friends.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should also watch Spirits Within

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's not like you're going to be making videos of them for the internet.

nah just mostly the idea started as "I wanna play all the final fantasies! there's only like thirteen of them and some side games that's not too bad" but there's just so many goddamn side games I literally never thought about that it becomes less and less feasible the more I think about it because I'd like for this to not take ten years

so now that I've realized how ridiculous the original idea is I just gotta stop feeling bad about skipping even mainline games and just play all the ones that seem interesting

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Incidentally I know someone who worked on that movie. The people who made it are all very proud of it.