Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

gently caress this Monday, I'm going to poo poo on a flag and set it on fire to commemorate today.

e: why haven't you other 49 nuked us already ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hope Chris Kyle doesn't see his shadow this year.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MariusLecter posted:

gently caress this Monday, I'm going to poo poo on a flag and set it on fire to commemorate today.

Probably safer than getting murdered in a shooting range in honor of Chris "Let's treat PTSD by shooting firearms" Kyle, PhD in psychotherapy.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Samuel Clemens posted:

And yet, the font is still more legible than Streeter's.

Texas sure sounds like a swell state.

...don't texans fly the flag every day anyway?

I'm basing my entire knowledge of flag-flying in the states on the towns in Montana bordering Canada. Flags everywhere.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

MissEchelon posted:

PM Abbott knighted Prince Phillip for Australia Day, earning the contempt of absolutely everybody with half a brain
Haha, what the gently caress?
This dog is the most :3: thing ever.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MissEchelon posted:

I'm basing my entire knowledge of flag-flying in the states on the towns in Montana bordering Canada. Flags everywhere.

Flying flags is a United States specialty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pilchenstein posted:

Haha, what the gently caress?
That was the reaction of literally everyone, including most of his own party and most of the Murdoch press (which has resolutely supported him up until this point).

It's hard to overstate how stupid it's made him look.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So Prime Minister is now a royal title? With the authority/power to knight?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

MariusLecter posted:

It's like passing a law. Technically it needs royal assent to pass, but in practice what happens is the Governor-General just signs off whatever's been passed by parliament. Except in this case it doesn't need to pass parliament, Tones can just do whatever he wants.

quote:

Knights and Dames will be appointed by the Queen of Australia on the advice of the Prime Minister of Australia after consultation with the Chair of the Order of Australia Council. (wikipedia)

"On advice of the Prime Minister" + "consultation" (non-binding) = it's Tony's fault.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MariusLecter posted:

Technically the PM just recommends someone to the Queen and she does the honours.

Titles of nobility were abolished here about 30 years ago until Abbott brought them back last year. He got mocked a lot for it but since the first two people chosen were pretty solid candidates (previous Governor-General, incoming Governor-General, both highly accomplished people) it just went into the general list of things to laugh at.

So then on Australia Day he decides to recommend Prince Philip receive a knighthood...

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Happy Tu B'Shvat!

Tu B'Shvat is the Jewish "New Year" of the trees. This year Tu B'Shvat, literally the 15th (Tu in Hebrew) of the Hebrew month of Shvat) falls on Tuesday, February 3, 2015 in the civil calendar. Normally the holiday is wonderful and celebrated throughout Israel by the joyous planting of trees!
Shmitta is the seventh year (sabbatical year) of a seven-year agricultural cycle which is commanded by the Torah for life in the land of Israel. Our current Hebrew year, 5775, is a Shmitta year. During Shmitta, the land is left to "relax" and all agricultural activity, including tree-planting is forbidden.
This would be a good time to check out my book: Trees ...the Green Testament, the front page story it made, and the special pdf edition you can buy at our webstore (or get for free when you buy a Dry Bones Passover Haggadah). Just visit: Treesthegreentestament.com

Labels: Holiday, Jewish, Jewish Culture, Jews, New Year, Shmita, Shmitta, Shuldig, torah, Trees, Tu B'Shvat

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MariusLecter posted:

why haven't you other 49 nuked us already ?

Probably because 48 of them are all too busy plotting to nuke Flordia. But once they get that taken care of we’re next.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Happy Tu B'Shvat!

Tu B'Shvat is the Jewish "New Year" of the trees. This year Tu B'Shvat, literally the 15th (Tu in Hebrew) of the Hebrew month of Shvat) falls on Tuesday, February 3, 2015 in the civil calendar. Normally the holiday is wonderful and celebrated throughout Israel by the joyous planting of trees!
Shmitta is the seventh year (sabbatical year) of a seven-year agricultural cycle which is commanded by the Torah for life in the land of Israel. Our current Hebrew year, 5775, is a Shmitta year. During Shmitta, the land is left to "relax" and all agricultural activity, including tree-planting is forbidden.
This would be a good time to check out my book: Trees ...the Green Testament, the front page story it made, and the special pdf edition you can buy at our webstore (or get for free when you buy a Dry Bones Passover Haggadah). Just visit: Treesthegreentestament.com

Labels: Holiday, Jewish, Jewish Culture, Jews, New Year, Shmita, Shmitta, Shuldig, torah, Trees, Tu B'Shvat

If you loved trees so much, you wouldn't use their corpses to draw lovely and hateful cartoons.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
A Nice Cartoon - Tune In Next Week For Our Regularly Scheduled Hate-Mongering

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Happy Tu B'Shvat!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Not to revive the 40k-discussion, but tell me that the killdozer there illegally demolishing palestinian homes and groves doesn't look right at home in that range.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Happy Tu B'Shvat!

Israel made an ecological mess of itself in the mid 20th century, now is not the time to be following ancient agricultural guidelines intended specifically for farms.

e: unless, perhaps, you're actually on a farm

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's hard to overstate how stupid it's made him look.

And that's saying something considering how stupid he looks to start!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Happy Tu B'Shvat!

The love that dare not speak its name.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Erenthal posted:

Not to revive the 40k-discussion, but tell me that the killdozer there illegally demolishing palestinian homes and groves doesn't look right at home in that range.
My thoughts exactly. Please tell me that's photoshopped or the perspective is weird or something, and that you don't actually need a frickin' roofing ladder just to get into Israeli bulldozers.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

InequalityGodzilla posted:

My thoughts exactly. Please tell me that's photoshopped or the perspective is weird or something, and that you don't actually need a frickin' roofing ladder just to get into Israeli bulldozers.

Not normal ones. Just the anti-Palestinian armordozers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I've never seen a bulldozer that looked like that here, but maybe they hide them from normal citizens because they obviously look like something some modern evil overlord would cook up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Samuel Clemens posted:

So would that make it "go to the gun range" day or "taunt the PTSD veterans" day? :confused:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Well, you have to take precautions. Some of the civilian whose homes and livelihoods you're demolishing might throw rocks, or even have guns! You don't want to endanger your demolition crews, after all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll stick with my Feb 2nd holiday thank you very much

Made for a much better and meaningful film than American Sniper too

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

See, this is funny because either he agrees with the two people on the left and it's sorta a "this needs to get done but... MY TAXES? Ohhh this world lol" or he thinks they're so wrong that he doesn't need to articulate it and you should automatically agree with the grumpy fucker on the right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So the senile old man thinks that the taxes he paid as a young parent at the bottom rung of his career were enough to cover the cost of educating his kids through high school hm?

And apparently he forgot about getting to go to school himself rather than working in a garment factory at the age of 6. If only we had universal health care so he could be in care for his dementia instead of wandering around town muttering at strangers.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Monkey Fracas posted:

you should automatically agree with the grumpy fucker on the right.
In Terry Wises delusional worldview, old people are always more correct than everyone else.
He is the guy who recently made a cartoon where an old woman teaches her grandson about the dangers of an internet scam he was falling for.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

People who say stuff like that should be forcefed their foot if they complain about the economy and other countries with better education taking our jobs. It's a goddamn investment.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MissEchelon posted:

Texans fly the Texan flag every day; flying the US flag is a more occasional concession.

EDIT: for reals though, I've never lived in any state where non-governmental people used their state flag so much, and I've lived in about a dozen states. Washington DC takes a distant second, but that's partially because we have a badass flag and also a huge chunk of the city just moved here in the last few years and has a desperate need to show their DC-ness as quickly as possible.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 2, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Poland is probably going to become an economic powerhouse in the next few decades because in 1999 or so, they decided to make education a serious national priority. They now have one of the best education systems in the world.

:qq: but taxes!! :qq:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I love how one of them is a single mom. Someone post that chart about how anti-abortion is about punishing women for having sex and not about saving fetuses.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Poland is probably going to become an economic powerhouse in the next few decades because in 1999 or so, they decided to make education a serious national priority. They now have one of the best education systems in the world.

You would think people that are constantly jacking off about being patriotic and how much they love america would want to throw some money into it so this shitheap keeps running.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

alnilam posted:

Sounds like a communist kraut plot, to me. Those fools are socializing themselves into the ground!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think my favorite time delay hilarity was Prickly City's coverage of the Cliven Bundy situation, since the black conservative girl was propping him up and we all knew what was coming.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I think my favorite time delay hilarity was Prickly City's coverage of the Cliven Bundy situation, since the black conservative girl was propping him up and we all knew what was coming.

It was pretty funny, but Stantis is also capable of admitting he was wrong/rash about something, which he did (via vaguely non-white conservative girl) in the Bundy case.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

alnilam posted:

A rising tide floats all boats, but apparently that doesn't apply here.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Letter to the editor in the Los Angeles Times:

quote:

To the editor: As a member of Sen. Dianne Feinstein's generation, I have been bothered for some time by an unease that ageism is now the last bastion of socially acceptable prejudice. Examples of what amount to ridicule and near-contempt abound in various media.

Ted Rall's cartoon presents a perfect example of such prejudice by his ad feminem — not to mention sexist (her hair?) — attack.

And for what? Because he is so certain that anyone who approaches the legalization of marijuana with caution must be dismissed out of hand? And even more so in the case of Feinstein because, gosh, she's been getting older while dealing with all those crucial national issues?

I will leave to other critics the question of Rall's one-face-fits-all expertise as a cartoonist, but I find the basis for and the substance of this particular cartoon, which attacks a gifted, long-standing public servant, completely unacceptable.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I missed that one before, but :lol: at Ted "why is everyone forgetting about Gen X :qq:" Rall ragging on a senator for her age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Political Cartoons 2015: One-Face-Fits-All-Expertise

• Locked thread