Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

See: Bomb Chart and Ron Paul's 'It's Happening' gif

Jokes are lost on this forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

Bomb early, bomb often.

Keep an eye on industrial chemical operations near Homs. I know others are.

Bibi understands something about American politics which many Americans are failing to grasp: local politics is dead in America, its all about coalition politics and a return to pre-bipartisanship.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Keep an eye on industrial chemical operations near Homs. I know others are.

Bibi understands something about American politics which many Americans are failing to grasp: local politics is dead in America, its all about coalition politics and a return to pre-bipartisanship.

Reminder this fool said we'd nuke ISIS before we'd let ISIS get a hold of chemical weapons, then it turned out ISIS had already gotten chemical weapons by raiding Saddam's old stores, and the US had actually done nothing. The only people he knows are thinking about it are his coworkers at Subway.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I accidentally almost friended Bibi on Facebook this morning and it was a frightening few seconds. Anyway, that's my story.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think that Netanyahu's mistake is that by explicitly politicizing himself (if not the state of Israel) he's forcing people who would otherwise not pay attention to notice him. That's not actually a good thing for him, since he is who he is. Americans don't particularly enjoy being reminded that our satrapies aren't well governed. It's the kind of thing that erodes support long term. If he comes off as condescending (That bomb poster was an insult, seriously. Even Fox news viewers thought that was over the top.) he could genuinely harm himself.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Reminder this fool said we'd nuke ISIS before we'd let ISIS get a hold of chemical weapons, then it turned out ISIS had already gotten chemical weapons by raiding Saddam's old stores, and the US had actually done nothing. The only people he knows are thinking about it are his coworkers at Subway.

We should obliterate Syrian chemical weapons plants with appropriate conventional and non-conventional force. I hardly consider Saddam's old stores to be of similar threat as Assad's, Erdogan's, and Tehran's arsenals, former arsenals, and potential nuclear arsenals. I wouldn't be surprised if Bibi mentions the Syrian nuclear program when he speaks before Congress and makes his ask of tougher sanctions on Iran, implores for a hard line with Turkey and rants on Erdogan's neo-Ottoman megalomania, and begs that Israel not be left to bear the responsibility for security in the region alone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hello, MIGF, welcome back.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Should I take Lieberman's threats about wanting another Gaza operation/Lebanese war seriously or is he just blowing smoke?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HGH posted:

Should I take Lieberman's threats about wanting another Gaza operation/Lebanese war seriously or is he just blowing smoke?
There's precisely one situation in which you should take Liberman seriously - if you're a twelve year old child, and he's threatening to beat you.

Anyways, I visited the family this weekend and we drove by a certain spot that might be of interest to Avshalom:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This is from 2012, but I had not seen it before.

Basically nothing new I guess.

quote:

Israel lobbyist and deputy director for research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP), Patrick Clawson, suggests that a false flag attack is almost certainly needed to go to war with Iran, as initiation crisis has always depended on some kind of a single event, in many cases a false flag to justify the waging of war.

WINEP is a spin-off of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC).

The statement was made at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy in response to a question related to America's options in case negotiations with Iran fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se32hATeIvw

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:unsmith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I can read "Ariel Sharon" and "Lily Sharon", but what is the rest?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I can read "Ariel Sharon" and "Lily Sharon", but what is the rest?

The two lines right below Ariel Sharon read: General in the IDF & the 11th Prime Minister of Israel. The rest are their Hebrew days of birth/death.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Doflamingo posted:

The two lines right below Ariel Sharon read: General in the IDF & the 11th Prime Minister of Israel. The rest are their Hebrew days of birth/death.

Todah rabah

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Netanyahu realized just how big a can of worms he was opening up. The idea of having Netanyahu make a speech came from Boehner and the House Republicans, who seem to be angling for a showdown with Obama now that they own Congress. Netanyahu accepted because he was basically being invited to openly advertise and proclaim his political positions and goals in front of Congress, which would likely push Congress and public opinion against Iran in the US and make him look like an important and influential big-shot back home. Unfortunately, it appears he didn't think through the political consequences of coming to the US and publicly criticizing Obama Iran policy at the behest of the opposition party. Netanyahu claims he really didn't intend to snub Obama, and for what it's worth, I'm willing to believe that this controversy was the result of simple incompetence or stupidity on Netanyahu's part rather than outright malice...but that doesn't really make it better, especially since (in classic conservative style) he's doubling up on it and refusing to back down for fear of looking weak.
Bibi was already on thin ice with Obama after he openly campaigned for Romney's election.

Now he's working with Obama's nemesis in the House and bypassing him in order to speak to Congress, so yeah, even Obama's done with him now. I expect relations between the two to be pretty non-existent until Obama's term ends. Unfortunately Hillary is a giant AIPAC shill, so even if she wins nothing will change.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bibi was already on thin ice with Obama after he openly campaigned for Romney's election.

Now he's working with Obama's nemesis in the House and bypassing him in order to speak to Congress, so yeah, even Obama's done with him now. I expect relations between the two to be pretty non-existent until Obama's term ends. Unfortunately Hillary is a giant AIPAC shill, so even if she wins nothing will change.

Is this just an Obama thing, or did he just gently caress things up with all Democrats?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this just an Obama thing, or did he just gently caress things up with all Democrats?

It almost doesn't matter what he does to Dems as a group. Individually they're not going to defy AIPAC on any issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bpower posted:

It almost doesn't matter what he does to Dems as a group. Individually they're not going to defy AIPAC on any issue.

Then what's up with this guy?

SyHopeful posted:

So, one of my state's reps is the first to publicly announce his intention to not attend Netanyahu's speech.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to hear about this, have there been any other D reps who are standing with him? Blumenauer isn't exactly a critic of Israel (hell just read the article, it's pretty clear) so I'm guessing this is more D vs. R politics.

I'm wondering if I should write my House representative about this. At the very least I can get a response on record.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Substantively, how is this different from Obama favoring Herzog now, or Livni before, or Clinton/Bush I not exactly being subtle in promoting Labor? Each side does it extensively, Netanyahu has just dropped any pretenses.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Substantively, how is this different from Obama favoring Herzog now, or Livni before, or Clinton/Bush I not exactly being subtle in promoting Labor? Each side does it extensively, Netanyahu has just dropped any pretenses.

Only one side of the equation has been thoroughly reliant on the other for its continued existence. It's an argument about rationality as much as morality - why would Bibi be so stupid as to try to interrupt a status quo so overwhelmingly favourable to Israel in exchange for minimal leverage for his agenda?

Because he's Bibi, I guess.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

]]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's absolutely an Obama and Netanyahu thing. The mutual dislike between Netanyahu and Obama has been apparent for quite a while now (though Romney and Netanyahu also happen to be very old friends, having known each other since the 70s). The Israeli left was actually fairly pumped after the 2012 presidential election, because they thought Obama was going to turn around and politically crush Netanyahu as payback for his Romney support. In late November 2012, there was a wave of gleeful articles debating who they'd support after Obama knocked Netanyahu out of office and undermined Lieberman and other right-wing candidates as well.

That said, while this is mainly a thing between Obama and Netanyahu, Obama is the leadership of the Democratic Party and thus some of the Dems will have a tendency to support him...though then again, Dems tend to ignore the leadership when it comes to Israel, so the actual impact on policy is likely to be thin. Obama's efforts to block Iran sanctions are faring poorly, and he's only barely managed to get enough Dems to agree to block them until after the Israeli elections, at which point he probably hopes Netanyahu will be replaced with someone willing to openly advocate against sanctions on Obama's behalf.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHmYj5jJ3rw

Oh Bibi :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"While you were out, me and the baby annexed the neighbors and built a settlement."

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Jesus loving Christ.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

"Bibi is behaving like a baby in America"

'No, Bibi is behaving like a Bibi-sitter!'

drat good messaging, I take it this is the first time Likud has contracted out their ad budget to Rove et al?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

There are times I really hate that Chuck Schumer is one of my senators

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wow, I did not expect to see this today. I figured his political adverts would be Bibi talking common sense to some riled up leftists and then a splash image of a mailed fist crashing into a palestinian face and an explosion, after the dust clears: the flag of Greater Israel flies over the middle east.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading this on the phone, is the ad literally him building settlements?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Its much, much worse.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Nope. Keep in mind I don't speak conversational Hebrew, but from what I can tell, it's a pair of parents waiting for the babysitter and then Netanyahu shows up saying he's there to answer the job ad for a "bibi-sitter" while the parents stare in shock and salute and stuff that such a mighty figure showed up to their home and they try to clear up the misunderstanding, but then he talks a bit about how awesome he is and how he is well-suited to take care of and protect their children, unlike his opponents (I'm pretty sure he calls out Tzipi specifically here), and then the parents leave, having been convinced that he is truly the most trustworthy and dependable person to watch the house while they're out. Later that night, they return to see Netanyahu vegging out on the couch, shoving snacks into his mouth and laughing uproariously as he watches a video of one of his own speeches on the TV. At no point in the commercial is a child seen or heard.

It's...not a very good political ad.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Nope. Keep in mind I don't speak conversational Hebrew, but from what I can tell, it's a pair of parents waiting for the babysitter and then Netanyahu shows up saying he's there to answer the job ad for a "bibi-sitter" while the parents stare in shock and salute and stuff that such a mighty figure showed up to their home and they try to clear up the misunderstanding, but then he talks a bit about how awesome he is and how he is well-suited to take care of and protect their children, unlike his opponents (I'm pretty sure he calls out Tzipi specifically here), and then the parents leave, having been convinced that he is truly the most trustworthy and dependable person to watch the house while they're out. Later that night, they return to see Netanyahu vegging out on the couch, shoving snacks into his mouth and laughing uproariously as he watches a video of one of his own speeches on the TV. At no point in the commercial is a child seen or heard.

I sincerely hope you misunderstood something, because that description sounds like the world's first truly Dadaist political ad.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Main Paineframe posted:

IT GETS WORSE! They have cheesy puns about how Herzog will give away the 'carpets' (rhymes with area, translates into the west bank) and Tzipi will probably at the neighbour's house as she has a hard time staying in one place for more than 2 hours. The end slogan before Likud? Literally 'It's either us or them.'

To be fair though at no point is Bibi on the couch laughing and eating snacks, for those of you who haven't bothered to watch it.
The reason there are no kids was because of a previous ad Likud used in this very election that likened all the other MKs to children and Bibi having to take care of them. Unfortunately, under Israeli law you're not allowed to used kids for campaign ads (who knew) so I'm pretty sure it never aired.

e: though he might as well be sitting on the couch laughing at this point

Miftan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 4, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I sincerely hope you misunderstood something, because that description sounds like the world's first truly Dadaist political ad.

Mike Gravel did the world's first Dadaist political ad. This is just schmaltzy and bizarre.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

To be fair though at no point is Bibi on the couch laughing and eating snacks, for those of you who haven't bothered to watch it.

:colbert:

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Bibi should have been sitting on a coach watching Gaza burn as the shells and bombs rain down. Missed opportunity imho.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

Bibi should have been sitting on a coach watching Gaza burn as the shells and bombs rain down. Missed opportunity imho.

Oh I'm saving that screenshot, he'll be doing it soon enough.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I don't speak an ounce of hebrew so all I got from that was the word babysitter. Between that and the music that sounds like it came from a mid 90's sitcom I like to imagine he's just their weird neighbor who occasionally watches their kid, and they're willing to overlook the fact that he occasionally turns and starts talking to blank space.

What I'm saying is I want Bibi to be in more comedies and less politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
When the parents come back they give Bibi a cheerful "Sholom!" (Peace!) and he answers "Not unconditionally!".

Is that a fair translation? i just read it elsewhere.

• Locked thread