Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, you should.

To be fair it was the first phone I've dropped out of like 25 I've owned and I was rushing to go see my new nephew. I did have a case and glass on my iPhone 5 but really only to change how it felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

HTC One (M9) to pack dual 20MP cams at the back, 4MP UP at front

What do you even call this? 2 20MP (assuming the rumored 20.7MP Sony) sensors on the back? It's almost as if HTC took all of the complaints about low megapixel count to heart, and said gently caress IT GIVE THEM 40.

I really liked Sense's camera app, so if they get the hardware right (as well as its calibrations) this time, I'll be in love.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Moto Keylink may be going away? The page I have bookmarked (the same that their site search gives you) redirects to the accessories page: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So what's the best bang for the buck 100 Android phone these days? Would have to work on Verizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

The Moto Keylink may be going away? The page I have bookmarked (the same that their site search gives you) redirects to the accessories page: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html.

They just removed it due to it being OOS and it will be a few weeks before it's back.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/31/motorola-still-loves-the-keylink-will-bring-it-back-in-several-weeks/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

They just removed it due to it being OOS and it will be a few weeks before it's back.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/31/motorola-still-loves-the-keylink-will-bring-it-back-in-several-weeks/

Ok, that's good to know. It'd been out of stock as long as I had been checking, but they didn't change the page until recently, which seems odd.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Keylink chat: Mine fell off the keychain (and into my pocket, luckily)

I think Moto needs to devise a better way to secure it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I got an OPO invite. Does anyone want it?

LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO CLAIM IT

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

nimper posted:

Keylink chat: Mine fell off the keychain (and into my pocket, luckily)

I think Moto needs to devise a better way to secure it.

Mine fell off early in winter 2 days after owning it. Found it later when the snow melted. Destroyed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Registration to get $140 off a Moto X is live now.

https://perfectpairing-2015.appspot.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

So what's the best bang for the buck 100 Android phone these days? Would have to work on Verizon.

On contract? A Moto X.

Off contract? No such thing.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Very annoyed...My Note 4 appears to have a defect on the inner lens assembly on the camera which shows up as a small dark spot on photos. I thought it was just dust on the outer lens, but its not, and then i thought it was maybe dust on the inner lens, and it isn't. I used a microscope to look at it and It appears that the lens coating has spiderwebbed at this little spot in the center, and I suppose its big enough to be resolved. Its so minor that I didn't notice it for the last 4 months but its there, and now that I noticed it I wont be able to un-notice it.

Of course I didn't buy the insurance when I got the phone because I'm a dumbass...anyone ever seen replacement phones working out for some sort of manufacturing defect without insurance?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Very annoyed...My Note 4 appears to have a defect on the inner lens assembly on the camera which shows up as a small dark spot on photos. I thought it was just dust on the outer lens, but its not, and then i thought it was maybe dust on the inner lens, and it isn't. I used a microscope to look at it and It appears that the lens coating has spiderwebbed at this little spot in the center, and I suppose its big enough to be resolved. Its so minor that I didn't notice it for the last 4 months but its there, and now that I noticed it I wont be able to un-notice it.

Of course I didn't buy the insurance when I got the phone because I'm a dumbass...anyone ever seen replacement phones working out for some sort of manufacturing defect without insurance?

Do you think it was it there when you got it? If so, it's a warranty issue, and you could probably get it fixed by Samsung. You'd have to ship your phone in though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

If it is just the lens coating and you can't get I replaced, you may try removing it. Google around for a few tutorials.

Edit: misread, sounds like it's the inner lens coating. Nevermind.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Grumpwagon posted:

Do you think it was it there when you got it? If so, it's a warranty issue, and you could probably get it fixed by Samsung. You'd have to ship your phone in though.

I'm pretty sure its always been there, looking back at really old photos there is the same dark spot, I guess I either didn't notice or thought it was dust. Currently working through Samsung service BS to try to get them to replace it for me.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
GS5 Verizon lollipop update heading out :shepspends:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Dropped my Nexus 5 in my driveway over the weekend and busted the glass.

Should I try to repair this myself, any particular kit that is good to get?
I read a few reviews on amazon for glass replacement kits and it sounds like people are completely destroying the LCDs in the process of trying to perform the replacement.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Deep Winter posted:

GS5 Verizon lollipop update heading out :shepspends:

Already DLed and installed here. Working fine so far. Takes up an extra 1.2GB though--any non-root way to clean up after stuff like this?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TheQat posted:

Already DLed and installed here. Working fine so far. Takes up an extra 1.2GB though--any non-root way to clean up after stuff like this?

Wouldn't hurt to just factory reset the phone and start fresh.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lblitzer posted:

Wouldn't hurt to just factory reset the phone and start fresh.

Good point, hadn't conceived of that yet

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

peepsalot posted:

Dropped my Nexus 5 in my driveway over the weekend and busted the glass.

Should I try to repair this myself, any particular kit that is good to get?
I read a few reviews on amazon for glass replacement kits and it sounds like people are completely destroying the LCDs in the process of trying to perform the replacement.

If you bought it on the play store call Google, they'll replace it free of charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

Personally, I would rather them get it right than quick. Hopefully for SGS5 users it's a stable ROM.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I noticed that hangouts voicemail will play the message via the speaker instead of the headset. WTF!? There is no option to change it either. How does anyone put up with this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/segifVIj8_I

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

r0ck0 posted:

I noticed that hangouts voicemail will play the message via the speaker instead of the headset. WTF!? There is no option to change it either. How does anyone put up with this?

Who gets voice mails? Certainly no one at Google.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Just saw the tablet thread. Deep.

nescience fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Registration to get $140 off a Moto X is live now.

https://perfectpairing-2015.appspot.com/

The website currently says $140 off a purchase of $499.99 or more -- did they change it? I didn't think a Moto X could even reach that high, fully loaded.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

enojy posted:

The website currently says $140 off a purchase of $499.99 or more -- did they change it? I didn't think a Moto X could even reach that high, fully loaded.

$499 is the base price for the 16gb model, unless for some reason you have Republic Wireless as a carrier in which case it's $399.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nimper posted:

$499 is the base price for the 16gb model, unless for some reason you have Republic Wireless as a carrier in which case it's $399.

Oh, no kidding... humph. I just put together a mock order to see how much a Moto X with the leather back would cost about a month ago; I could've sworn I didn't recall it being $499 + that customization.

Edit: I see now. I didn't get as far as choosing a carrier. They just lump on $100 for what?! MOTOOOO!!

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 2, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

enojy posted:

Oh, no kidding... humph. I just put together a mock order to see how much a Moto X with the leather back would cost about a month ago; I could've sworn I didn't recall it being $499 + that customization.

Edit: I see now. I didn't get as far as choosing a carrier. They just lump on $100 for what?! MOTOOOO!!

Think of it this way: they spot you $100 if you make a bad carrier decision.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

uPen posted:

If you bought it on the play store call Google, they'll replace it free of charge.

Thanks, just got off the phone and they are going to send me a replacement.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Thanks, just got off the phone and they are going to send me a replacement.

It'll probably be a new one as the black Nexus 5 (16GB / 32GB) went back in stock today.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have a Moto X if it matters.

Is there a way to save a number in as a contact but not have it show up in the contacts list? While it sounds like I am trying to have an affair with this question, the real reason is I have a lot of customers call me, and I'd like to know who is calling, but I don't want like 400 people clogging up my contacts when I will call them once every 18 months (usually after looking up their number)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ribsauce posted:

I have a Moto X if it matters.

Is there a way to save a number in as a contact but not have it show up in the contacts list? While it sounds like I am trying to have an affair with this question, the real reason is I have a lot of customers call me, and I'd like to know who is calling, but I don't want like 400 people clogging up my contacts when I will call them once every 18 months (usually after looking up their number)

You should probably save the customers to a separate account for your business. In the Contacts app settings you can choose which accounts will display contacts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

I've only ever used speaker instead of handset but I'm always alone (so alone...) when listening to voicemails. Odd they removed the choice.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

nimper posted:

You should probably save the customers to a separate account for your business. In the Contacts app settings you can choose which accounts will display contacts.

OK, I will try that tomorrow. I guess I need another google account for my business.

Is there a way to export my call log from the last week to excel? This ad company screwed me by putting my personal number on advertising, making my phone blow up and ruining how I usually track calls.

edit

I found a couple of apps. If one works I will let you guys know.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 3, 2015

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I have a galaxy s5 and whenever I have a call from someone a floating always-on-top box appears and I want to get rid of it. Anyone know how?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nierbo posted:

I have a galaxy s5 and whenever I have a call from someone a floating always-on-top box appears and I want to get rid of it. Anyone know how?

You mean the little bubble that shows up when you're doing other things while on a call? Phone-settings-call popups will let you disable it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Verizon S5 rollout just pisses me off because it was what, two weeks ago that LG and AT&T were both teasing the Lollipop upgrade coming "really soon". Release it like Verizon and Samsung or shut up about it, it's been rolling out worldwide for months now, the only hangup is the AT&T bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Freakin perfect. Thanks a lot. Can't believe I missed that.